Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Final Christmas ❯ Hopeful Wishing ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A.N.: …must you remind me that I don't own the characters…. *sobs*
______________________________________________________________ ________________
Chapter 2: Hopeful Wishing
“No!” an angry voice barked, leaving an echo repeating the word hauntingly.
“Listen to me, Syaoran. Please, just listen.”
“No! It's not true! It can't be true. Tell me it isn't, Sakura. This is all a joke, right?”
Sakura could only close her eyes against the desperation in his voice. What he wanted, for the first time, she couldn't give.
“You're only eighteen. You can't die yet. You can't leave me behind, not like this. You promised, Sakura. You promised me!”
“I know what I promised you! You think this was easy for me! I'm dying! I don't want to, but it was the hand that fate dealt me. There's nothing I can do about it.”
“Chemotherapy, Sakura. Do it. That may help you. You'll live… you have to.” his voice trailed off into silence.
“Syaoran. It won't help me. By the time they found out about the cancer, it was already too late. Chemo may have helped in the beginning, but there's still a chance that I'll fall with the relapse. I'm sorry.” Sakura whispered quietly as she stared out the window.
Arms found their way around her waist, bringing her back against a warm chest. Li placed his head on top of hers and nuzzled her hair. Silence overpowered them for a few more minutes as both tried to cope with the reality of things.
“You can't leave me behind, Sakura. I don't want to let you go. I don't wanna lose you, love.”
Placing her hands on top of his, she sighed. “I don't want to let you go either. But it's a truth we'll both have to face… a truth I've learned to accept.”
Once again, the silence blanketed the room as the two lovers stood, embracing, staring into the night.
“Syaoran?”
“Yeah?” was the soft reply.
“Promise me?”
“Promise you what, love?”
Sakura turned in his arms to stare into his eyes.
“Promise me you'll take care of the cards…”
“You're not dying, Sakura. The cards are…”
“Syaoran. Please, just listen?” At his nod, she continued. “Promise me you'll take care of the cards when I die. Promise me you'll sustain them. As I am their mistress, the day we became one is the day you became their master. Promise me you'll take on the proper role of their master when they become yours to call on and that you'll change them to carry your name. But most importantly, promise me that you'll never forget me, but you'll move on to find happiness no matter what happens.”
Syaoran could only stare into the emerald orbs as her words settled in his mind. The pleading undertone in her voice had nearly shattered his heart. But what truly did him in was the love for him he saw shining in her eyes.
“…I promise.” And with that whisper, he knew he had sealed, not only his fate, but accepted her death as well.
Placing her head on his chest, Sakura allowed herself to be lulled by the pattern of his heartbeat. Wrapping her arms around his waist more securely, she blinked back the tears.
In the silence of the night, the two lovers stood in the hold of each other, gathering what little strength they had left to face the harsh reality. One cursing the fates for such a cruel damnation; one relishing in the comforting aura of their partner; but both praying for tomorrow to never arrive.
`I love you, Syaoran. So very much.'
`Please, don't take her away. I don't wanna lose her. Please, don't leave.'
_________________________________________________________________ _____________
A.N.: Well?