Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Spellbound ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

* Gryffindor Changing Room *
 
Ami ran into the room, grabbing her quidditch robes as she flew in to get changed. She was still the head cheerleader for Gryffindor, and the 'Gryffindor Lions' had just performed as an opening for the match. Since Ami had started the 'Gryffindor Lions', Hogwarts now had a cheerleading competition in which each house performed at every quidditch match and were awarded scores, the team with the highest score at the end of the year won the cup. Ami was so proud of her Lions, so far they had won the cup every year.
 
Ami ran back to the benches of the room to sit with Ginny and Cecile. The three girls were the teams chasers, and worked so well together, anyone would've thought they read each others minds. Ron, the team's keeper, was sitting opposite them, tapping his foot. Ami didn't like to admit it, but she was nervous too, not because they were facing Slytherin, but because the team had two new beaters, and even the other team mates didn't know who they were. Ami shifted her gaze to her feet. Three people entered the room, the first remained half hidden in the shadows, the second was Harry, the team's seeker and captain, the third was...
 
"Eriol!" Ami cried as she saw who was standing beside Harry, "what are you doing here?" Harry and Eriol chuckled, "My dear, sweet, little dragon," Harry said, while Eriol noticed the person hiding in the shadows bristling at Harry's pet name for Ami, "did you really think I'd let just anybody on this team? No. Don't answer that. I'm afraid of what you might actually have the courage to say. Anyway, these are your new beaters, Eriol," Harry continued, indicating the boy standing next to him, "and Kai," waving a hand towards the boy who stepped out of the shadows. Ami was sorry to admit it, but while the scarlet and gold robes emphasized Kai's amber eyes, creating an unachievable dream, Eriol's blue hair just didn't suit it, and even Tomoyo could never make it look good on him.
 
Harry wasn't one for speeches, and never prepared a plan for the match. Harry knew only to well how stupid those plans were, because no matter how good your plan was, the other team was almost certain not to have seen it, and would definitely never stick to it. He preferred to have the team chat about how they could pulverize the Slytherins, or stuff Snape's head down a toilet, which meant that by the time they walked out onto the pitch, everyone was wide awake and ready to put their plans into action..
 
The players mounted their brooms and kicked off hard from the ground. Madame Hooch threw the quaffle into the air. Ami dived in and grabbed the quaffle, her firebolt weaving between the players, to score the first goal of the game before the Slytherins even knew the quaffle had been taken. Kai was mesmerized by Ami's speed and agility on a broomstick. He gave himself a mental slap for not concentrating on the bludgers, before finding one and belting it at the Slytherin chaser with the quaffle in his hands.
 
It wasn't long before Gryffindor was winning, EIGHTY - ZERO. The Slytherins started to play dirty, but none of their chasers ever made it to half-way before being pelted with bludgers until they dropped the quaffle into the Gryffindor chasers' hands. No matter how dirty the Slytherins played, they just weren't a match for the Gryffindor chasers' skills. They dodged every bludger, avoided every opponent, and never missed the goal.
 
Ami had the quaffle now. She tore down the pitch. A Slytherin flew to block her on her left. She veered right. A Slytherin beater had been waiting for her to do just that. His arm swung his bat hard at her face. Ami realized her blunder and closed her eyes, waiting for the blow to strike, but it never came. Ami looked back briefly to see Kai's bat blocking the other beater's. Ami faced the front. Aimed. She threw the quaffle neatly through the middle hoop making the score ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY - ZERO. Ami had just enough time to send another quaffle through the left hoop before Harry caught the snitch.
 
The team made their way to the changing rooms, broomsticks over their shoulders, while most of the school shrieked in joy over Slytherin's spectacular loss. Ami was the first to finish dressing. She sat on one of the benches and pulled out her broomstick care kit, polishing her firebolt while she waited for Kai. She was hoping to thank him for saving her from the Slytherin beater. Harry was next out. He sat next to Ami, "don't forget about tonight," he murmured in her ear, "and remember it's a surprise." Ami nodded as Ron and Ginny came out. Harry left for the school with them as Ami started to ponder how she could do the decorations.
 
Harry and Ami had been planning a surprise party for the Gryffindor Quidditch team for some time now, slowly sneaking supplies from the Three Broomsticks and Huneyduke's. They now had more then enough stashed away in an old, unused room that Ami had magically hidden. The only thing they had left to do, was to talk Dobby and the other house elves into catering for the party, which, considering their love of domestic duties, would be extremely easy, and the decorating of the Gryffindor Common Room, which would be left to Ami and her 'feminine creativity'.
 
Once all the Gryffindors had left for dinner, Ami began to decorate. A wave of her hand sent all the couches and sofas placed around the Common Room to line one wall, another sweep of her hand covered them in scarlet velvet, and the cushions in gold silk. Ami's long fingers swept the room, covering the walls in scarlet velvet drapes. A click of her fingers conjured a row of tables, covered in scarlet velvet to appear along another wall. Taking out a photo the Creevey brothers had taken, Ami enlarged it before sticking it to the drapes so the a portrait of the Quidditch Team now presided over the room. She quickly conjured speakers and a DJ desk before staring at the ceiling. While the room now looked festive, it was still missing the right lighting. Ami glanced at the candles, calling to their flames, which suddenly left the wicks and flew to her hands before winking out of existence. There was only one thing left now. Her hands began to glow, before red and gold sparks flew from her fingers to soar high in the air. The sparks took shape, creating red or gold stars which zoomed around the ceiling, leaving trails of stardust that gently floated to the floor, covering the floorboards in a fine, glittering, red and gold carpet of dust. She sighed with contentment, the stars created enough light to see by, but not enough to spoil the mood. Ami made her way up to her room to change into something more appropriate.
 
When Harry and Ron entered the Common Room, with a following of House Elves bearing food, their jaws dropped, even the house elves squeaked with glee. The room was magnificent, and standing in the middle of it was Ami. She was wearing long, black velvet pants, which hugged her slight form from her waist to her knees before flaring out, and a black velvet, medieval bodice. A crimson silk under-blouse hung off her shoulders, fitting her arms until it reached her elbows, before flowing into whimsical, belled sleeves. Her long, black hair was pulled up into a ponytail, high on her head, where a cascade of red and gold ribbons held it in place. The black brought out her creamy, delicate skin and pert nose, while her scarlet lipstick accentuated her full, soft mouth.
 
Once the house elves had the last of the food they had prepared on the tables, Ami sent Harry and Ron to get dressed while she oversaw the ferrying of their 'stash' from Hogsmeade from the hidden room to the tables. Dobby and a couple of the other house elves offered their services as waiters, so Ami conjured them bowties. Scarlet for the other house elves, and Gold for Dobby. She also conjured Dobby a red velvet coat with tails, telling him he was in charge of the others.
 
Harry and Ron returned to the Common Room just as the first people began to enter. Ami quickly pulled Dean and Seamus aside, asking them if they would be the night's DJ's. Dean and Seamus took over the DJ's desk while Dobby reveled in welcoming the students to the party. The house elves were soon enjoying themselves, running around, carrying trays of food or drink. Eriol soon entered, followed closely by Kai. Once everybody was inside the Common Room, Harry cut the music and grabbed a mic. "Firstly I'd just like to welcome everyone," he began, "I thought we could use an excuse for a little mischief, since Fred and George are no longer here to provide it for us." Laughter met his comment. "I'd also like to take this opportunity to congratulate our team on such a fantastic match today. Firstly to our brilliant new Beaters, Eriol and Kai." Applause broke out, and a few girls swooned. "Secondly, to our great Keeper, Ron." Ron blushed while muttering something about not even getting a chance to do anything, which made the surrounding people who actually heard him snort with laughter. "Next to the superb Ginny, and the lovely Cecile." A smattering of applause was heard. "And lastly, to the lady to whom we owe this entire party. Without her, we wouldn't have such marvelous decorations. The little dragon herself. The beautiful, the graceful, Ami!" Ginny and Cecile, whom Ami had been trying so hard to disappear behind, grabbed her and pushed her into the center of the room, where she stood blushing while every single guy began to wolf-whistle, and the girls glared.
 
Eriol had been one of the first to join in the whistling, but stopped with shock when he noticed that Kai was whistling even more enthusiastically then anyone else. Eriol had enjoyed himself immensely when he saw Kai's jaw drop at the sight of Ami in her modern-medieval clothes, but now he was having even more fun. Eriol's day just kept getting better and better. Ami finally managed to dissolve back into the crowd, and the music had restarted when Eriol and Kai suddenly felt a hand on their shoulders. Kai immediately tensed, while Eriol started to giggle, "Well done Ami," Eriol told her, "I didn't even feel you approach." Kai relaxed and they both turned to face the smiling girl. Dobby suddenly appeared at Ami's side with a tray of butterbeer.
 
Kai was a rather introverted person. He was far too shy to take the initiative to make friends. Tonight, however, Ami planned to change that. She had seen the real Kai, the one he tried to hide away from the world. If he only let other people see what she had seen, she knew they would love him, although she did have to admit, he was remarkably like Syaoran in that matter. She was going to make him relax around people, and maybe even open up to them, even if it meant getting him drunk in the process. She pressed a butterbeer into his hand and led him over to a small group of people, and although it took a while at first, with her there to coax the real 'Kai' out, he finally began to show his true colours.
 
After a while, Dobby appeared by Ami's side again, this time his tray was empty. "Master Eriol would like to see you miss," he told her, "in the boys' dormitory." She nodded her thanks before slowly backing away from Kai, desperately hoping she would return before he noticed she was missing. She made it all the way to the staircase before he realized she was no longer by his side. One girl fad finally had enough to drink and threw herself at him, which in turn made all the other girls follow suit in the hopes of gaining his attention for even a second. "I'm sorry Kai," Ami whispered, as she watched him slowly drown in the sea of girls, before continuing up the stairs to Eriol.
 
She opened the door to see a very angry Eriol. "Close the door," he demanded, "now tell me, when was the last time you used your cards?" Ami was slightly taken aback, but then began to think, the truth was, the last time she'd used them, was when she froze time in her first year at Hogwarts so that Eriol could blow up Malfoy's cauldron. "I'm sorry," Eriol told her, more gently this time, "it's as much my fault as yours. If I hadn't been so caught up by the fact that I was training a Beast Rider, I would have realized the implications sooner. By training you solely in becoming a Beast Rider, you have been neglecting your cards, and so, without your cards' power being used actively, the dragon power is eclipsing your cards' power, changing your aura. While the dragon power is not bad for you to have, if it eclipses your cards power entirely, you will lose the ability to wield them. The dragon power has almost entirely eclipsed your cards' power, you will need to reverse this effect if you wish to still be the Cards Mistress."
 
A single tear began to flow down Ami's cheek. Her precious cards, how could she have forgotten them? they weren't just cards to her, they were her friends. They had helped her save her friends. She gained as much strength from them as they did from her. Ami flung her trunk open, and pulled out a book and a key. Though she tried to hold it, the book dropped from her fingers to land on the floor. "I'm sorry," she whispered, "I'm so sorry." One of her tears hit the cover of the book, the other, the key. The key began to glow and flew from her fingers, before becoming the cards' staff and returning to her hand. the book flew open and all of her precious cards radiated a soft pink light as the took flight, dancing around their mistress, caressing her with their warmth and drying her tears, before returning to the book. The staff shrank back to a key, which Ami placed on a chain around her neck. The book levitated off the ground to her hands. Giving it a quick hug, she placed it gently under her pillow before facing Eriol again.
 
"You know," he told her, "I think you might be well on your way to repairing the damage." Eriol was about to leave when he pulled an envelope out of his pocket. "Before I forget," he told her, "this is from Tomoyo." He left as Ami opened the envelope, it was an invitation to Eriol and Tomoyo's wedding. There was also a letter from Tomoyo, detailing how her mother had consented to their engagement, and that they planned to have the wedding in the end of year holidays. There was also a question from Tomoyo. She wanted to know if Ami would be her head-bridesmaid. Ami could think of nothing she would rather be then head-bridesmaid at her best friends' wedding, although she couldn't help wondering who the best man would be, considering Eriol didn't know that many people. Ami quickly wrote a letter of congratulations and acceptance, before hurrying off to give it to Eriol.
 
* Tomoyo's Place *
 
Tomoyo and Kero were watching more of Sakura's old card capturing videos. Tomoyo hated to admit it, but she was beginning to worry about Kero, he hadn't been eating as much lately, and his glossy, golden coat had been dimming to a dull brown. Kero was suddenly levitated off the ground, while bright pink aura encompassed him. The glow faded as quickly as it came, but Kero had changed. His coat was gold and shiny again. He sat down, his little nose testing the air, before diving into Tomoyo's bowl of popcorn, swallowing most of the contents in one go. "I'm hungry," the little creature told her. Tomoyo smiled, everything's going to be okay now, Sakura will be just fine.
 
* Toya's Place *
 
Toya had been having trouble sleeping that night. He lay awake, the silent form of Yukito slumbering peacefully next to him. Toya was worried, Yukito had been eating more then usual lately, but he was dopier then ever. A bright pink light lifted Yukito out of the bed, bathing him in its soft light, before gently placing him back on the bed, still fast asleep, oblivious to what just happened. Toya sighed, now maybe he could get some sleep, at least now he knew that Sakura was going to be okay now.
 
* Hogwarts *
 
Ami returned to the Common Room to find Eriol. She tried to give him her letter for Tomoyo, But he refused to take it, telling her that she could tell Tomoyo in person when she came for the end of semester ball. Sighing, Ami searched the room for Kai, he was still surrounded by a sea of girls demanding his attention. Ami poked Eriol in the ribs before pointing Kai out to him. Containing his mirth, Eriol braved the tide to pull out a rather disheveled Kai, While Ami sat down on one of the sofas to enjoy the show.
 
She tried so hard not to laugh when he collapsed next to her. "You left me to their mercy," he spat at her. "I'm sorry," she whispered, turning her face from his, the look of hatred on his face was too much for her to bear. Kai took one look at the tears she was fighting to hold in and instantly regretted his anger, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that," his warm hand cupping her cheek, forcing her to look at him, "please don't cry, you're too pretty to cry." His other hand began to smooth the tears from her face, "and besides, if you cry, I'll feel like crying, and then think how I'd ever live that down!" Ami couldn't help it, she laughed in spite of herself.
 
Kai sighed, her laughter, even at his expense, was better then her tears. Wait! When did he start caring about girls' feelings! Kai smiled. That's right, he started caring when Sakura melted the ice around his soul. Ami and Kai spent the rest of the night on the sofa, Ami only leaving once to change into her PJ's. They continued talking until they were basically the only people left, only stopping when Ami finally fell asleep on Kai's shoulder.
 
He was just beginning to wonder whether he should wake her, when Storm and Hope flew down from the dormitory each holding a pillow, with Shadow bounding along not far behind them with a blanket. Storm and Hope offered Kai their loads, holding Ami up long enough for him to create a makeshift bed for them both. Storm and Hope then helped Shadow spread the blanket over them. Shadow gave Kai a quick lick on his cheek before curling up on the floor beside them, Storm and Hope slept beside Shadow. Ami snuggled into Kai, one hand on his chest, her head tucked under his chin. Kai himself fell asleep breathing in the faint smell of Ami's shampoo. A subtle mix of Jasmine, Rose and Cherry Blossoms.