Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Forty-Eight ( Chapter 48 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Forty-Eight

Inuyasha sniffed, picking up his brother's scent. He followed the unique intermingling of lilies, grass, fresh air, Rin, and musk to a meadow. As he entered, Inuyasha saw Sesshomaru standing rigid, his unblinking gold eyes resting on some unknown object in the night sky. The cool breeze whipped the Demon Lord's hair around his unreadable face. Inuyasha suppressed a growl. This was the important matter his brother had to handle? He clenched his fists to his sides, crossing the grass. Sesshomaru seemed so lost in thought that he didn't react to Inuyasha's presence. Inuyasha pulled his right arm back, slamming his fist into his brother's chin. He growled, “Standing in the middle of a damn grass field is more important than the pup waiting for your sorry ass back at camp?”

Sesshomaru reeled back, clutching his chin in his hand. He straightened his shoulders, turning to face Inuyasha. The Demon Lord's gold eyes flickered red as he glared at the half-demon. He snarled, “Half-breed, you shall pay for such insolence. This Sesshomaru has no tolerance for such behavior. My affairs are no concern of yours.” He lowered his hand, slashing at Inuyasha with his light whip.

Inuyasha raised his arms to block the assault. He flattened his ears to his skull, sneering at Sesshomaru. He stood stiff as his brother smacked at him and Inuyasha shouted, “Yeah, whatever, asshole. You're so full of shit.” He jumped into the air and did a back flip. As Inuyasha landed, he withdrew Tetsusaiga, transforming it. He chuckled, shaking his head. “It's just like old times, huh?”

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed in fury, slicing at him again. Inuyasha raised Tetsusaiga to deflect it. The taller brother said, “You will know your place, half-breed. On your knees, where you belong. It is none of your business what this Sesshomaru does with Rin.” He stepped closer, his lips pulled back into a snarl. His fangs gleamed in the pale moonlight.

“Fuck you, Sesshomaru.” Inuyasha growled, raising Tetsusaiga. “If you want me to bow to you, you're going to have to make me.” He smashed the blade into the ground and the Wind Scar erupted, charging towards Sesshomaru. His brother dodged it, drawing Tokijin. Inuyasha hissed, “You are the most conceited, pompous ass I've ever known. You're so full of shit, I bet you can't even find it in your cold heart to lift a finger to help someone else if it inconveniences you. It's all about you and only you. If anyone else happens to struggle they can go to hell for all you care. You're such a fucking bastard. ”

“You are too slow, foolish half breed.” Sesshomaru sneered before leveling Tokijin at him. A blast exploded, coursing towards Inuyasha. The hanyou dodged, leaping high into the air. Once Inuyasha landed, Sesshomaru charged, clanging his blade against Tetsusaiga. The two brothers growled at one another as they struggled for dominance. Inuyasha's feet slid in the cool grass as Sesshomaru used brute strength to shove Tetsusaiga back with Tokijin. Sesshomaru leaned in, his face inches from Inuyasha's. His eyes swirled red and he snapped, “Insolent half-breed. You have uttered your last insult.”

“I'm just getting warmed up, fucker.” Inuyasha gripped Tetsusaiga in one hand, pulling his other arm back to land another punch, this time on Sesshomaru's crescent moon. “Like you should talk about being slow. You missed me.”

Sesshomaru careened backwards and shook his head before charging towards him wildly, Tokijin raised above his head. He swiped his blade against Tetsusaiga, knocking it free to land point down twenty feet away. Sesshomaru gloated, his sword raised high, “It seems that this Sesshomaru has disarmed you. Now on your knees, worthless half-breed. You will learn where you belong.” Despite these strong words, confusion fluctuated in Sesshomaru's scent.

Inuyasha shoved his hand into his shoulder, flinging blood at Sesshomaru. It connected with his brother's wrist, snapping it back. Tokijin flew out of Sesshomaru's grip, landing point down next to Tetsusaiga.

Inuyasha shouted, “Now who's been disarmed! You want me on my knees, fine, then come and make me kneel if you can! Like to see you try, asshole.”

Sesshomaru's eyes glowed red and he lunged forward. Inuyasha dodged a recklessly thrown punch, only to have his brother slam his fist into his gut. The wind whooshed out of Inuyasha and he slumped to the ground, clutching his stomach. It had been awhile since he had felt the brutal force of Sesshomaru's fist. He looked up into his brother's face. Cold, calculated anger filled his scarlet eyes. Sesshomaru smirked in triumph as he glared down at him. He purred, “I see you have found your place, half-breed: on your knees before your superior.” The slur held none of the usual fondness, instead sounding uncertain and forced. Sesshomaru acted as if the past few months had never happened. Distress and fear spiked in Sesshomaru's scent and worry curled in Inuyasha's stomach.

Inuyasha caught his breath. He ground his teeth together, slamming his fist into the ground. Inuyasha stood up, glaring at Sesshomaru in defiance. “You! My superior! Don't make me laugh. You're so full of yourself that it makes me sick. Don't you ever get sick of kissing your own ass?” Inuyasha rushed his brother, pinning him against a large rock. He snarled in Sesshomaru's face before punching him in the mouth. “Fuck you, jackass. You're such a self-centered ass. You're no better than me.”

Sesshomaru shoved Inuyasha back into the grass, smashing his fist into Inuyasha's face. His lip split and blood spattered from the wound. The elder brother growled, snapping his teeth together and crimson trickled from his own split lip. He hissed, “Arrogant half-breed. How dare you assault this Sesshomaru. You seem to forget that half-demon means half-human.” He hit Inuyasha again, causing the hanyou to grunt from the impact of the blow to his chin. “Only undeserving half breeds, like you, would ever find themselves submissive to their mates with weak, pathetic, human magic.”

Inuyasha rolled them over, clawing at his brother's shoulders. He dug them in tearing the fine silk, staining it red as blood gushed from the punctures. He snapped his jaws in Sesshomaru's face, snarling. “Fucking bastard. How dare you!” He bashed his fist into Sesshomaru's nose. Blood flowed freely, dripping down his brother's cheeks. Inuyasha fit his hands around his brother's throat, slamming Sesshomaru's head into the ground repeatedly. “Shut the fuck up! So what if I'm half-demon! Get a new slur! And you leave Kagome out of this. This is between you and me. Don't ever say anything about my rosary again. Only egotistical assholes like you fall back on cheap insults when they have nothing else!” His brother gripped one of Inuyasha's arms, blistering the skin with venom. Inuyasha released his brother's throat, growling.

Sesshomaru flipped them back over, his expression enraged. The Demon Lord growled and punched Inuyasha in the mouth. “Silence! Filthy half-breed, you are unfit to question my integrity! How dare you slander my honor with such petty remarks.”

Inuyasha tasted the tang of blood as he licked his split lip. He gripped his brother's shoulders, shoving his claws deep. “Get the fuck off of me, bastard!” He crashed his forehead against Sesshomaru's in an attempt to dislodge the Demon Lord. “You deserve every question when you act like an unmitigated ass. Now get off!”

A burst of lightning illuminated Sesshomaru's face, his hair tossing about in the sudden gust of wind. A crack of thunder resounded throughout the meadow, followed by a downpour of rain. Sesshomaru refused to move and Inuyasha slammed his fist into his brother's jaw, causing the Demon Lord to fly backwards and land on his back. Inuyasha pounced, pummeling Sesshomaru with blows. As the rain continued, they slid on the grass, tearing it into a mud slip. Mud splashed up at them, coating both brothers as they brawled on the ground. Swords had been forgotten long ago as both Sesshomaru and Inuyasha favored their fists to beat out their frustrations on one another. Inuyasha drove his knuckles into Sesshomaru's face, bruising one eye.

Sesshomaru turned them over, pounding Inuyasha in the forehead with his fist. His bloodied lip pulled back into a snarl and his fangs glimmered in the rapid flashes of lightning. Loud cracks of thunder deafened Inuyasha. His brother landed a strike, hammering his fist into an eye. Inuyasha grunted, swiping his claws across Sesshomaru's cheek. His brother howled in fury, backing away. The Demon Lord clutched his clawed fingers to the ripped flesh. His red eyes narrowed before he tackled Inuyasha. Sesshomaru dripped poison, slashing his hand across Inuyasha's cheek. “Pathetic half-breed! Know your place!”

Inuyasha yelped in pain as he felt the acid burn. He glared at his brother, attempting to kick him in the stomach. Sesshomaru blurred before him as he moved behind, and locked his arm around Inuyasha's throat. The hanyou struggled to breathe as the Demon Lord's arm squeezed with brute strength. Inuyasha clawed at it, tearing the sleeve of Sesshomaru's haori to bits. The skin followed not long after, deep gashes appearing in the pale flesh, crimson flooding out to mix with the mud. Inuyasha smashed his elbow into Sesshomaru's gut, earning him a sputtering cough. His brother let go, hunched over as he caught his breath. He spat blood, wiping his mouth with the back of his muddy hand. Mud caked Sesshomaru's hair and streaked across his cheeks, mingling with the blood. His once white outfit was brownish red and in shreds about his shoulders.

Inuyasha slammed Sesshomaru back into the ground, furious. He beat his fist into his brother's forehead. “This pathetic half-breed is kicking your sorry ass!”

Sesshomaru shoved back before pinning Inuyasha to the slick mud. He swiped his claws against one white ear. Inuyasha yowled before biting his brother in the arm to get him to leave the sensitive appendage alone. He sunk his fangs in deep, causing Sesshomaru to yelp and rip his arm away. The Demon Lord drilled his fist into Inuyasha's stomach, knocking the wind out of the hanyou. Inuyasha gasped, wheezing. He kicked, his foot colliding with his brother's chest. Sesshomaru flew back, landing with a thud against a small rock.

The half-demon caught his breath and spat more blood. The rain poured, plastering his hair to his head. Another crack of thunder resounded throughout the clearing and the brilliant streaks of lightning dazzled Inuyasha's eyes. His ear still hurt and he lunged at Sesshomaru, tackling him. He growled, gnashing his teeth together in the Demon Lord's face. “Fucking bastard.” He bashed his fist into Sesshomaru's temple, snapping his brother's head back with the force. “Don't you ever touch my ears. Ever.”

Sesshomaru growled back at Inuyasha, digging his hand into the hanyou's back. Poison dripped as he spread the fingers, intensifying the excruciating pain that Inuyasha felt. Sesshomaru hissed, “Remove your foul person from mine, half-breed. If you do not, I will. Disgusting half-breed.”

Inuyasha gripped his brother around the neck with one hand. He gasped at the searing pain from the poison entering his system but refused to let go. “Not until you tell me what the hell is going on. What the fuck is so important that you have to stare at the damn sky? You know, there is a little girl who wants to know what she did wrong back there.” He flattened his ears tightly to his skull.

Sesshomaru kicked Inuyasha in the stomach and he skidded across the mud, cutting a deep gash into the ground. Inuyasha pried himself out of the crater, stumbling towards his brother. Anxiety flared in the Demon Lord's scent and he jumped out of reach. His eyes flickered from red to gold and back again, narrowing in rage. “It is none of your business and none of your concern. Do not involve yourself in matters that have nothing to do with you. Learn to respect others privacy.”

“What is the matter with you?” Inuyasha frowned. He pleaded, “Come on, Sesshomaru. What's wrong? Why did you leave the pup back at camp?”

Sesshomaru growled at him, fury marring his regal face. He charged again, landing a strike on Inuyasha's arm and poison burned deep. The hanyou howled in agony. Sesshomaru barked, “You will refrain from questioning me. If I wish for you to know something, I shall tell you. Otherwise, you shall not interfere with this Sesshomaru.” The rainstorm raged around them, lightning streaking across the sky followed by crashes of thunder. The rain plastered Sesshomaru's knee length hair to his body. “Do you understand me, half-breed. You will quit prying into my private affairs.”

Inuyasha shouted, shaking his fist at his brother, “Fuck you, you asshole! You sure pried into my life. You know everything! Everything! What Naraku did, my time on that fucking tree, how I feel about being hanyou, everything. You even know about the new moon for fuck's sake! You're going to tell me what the hell is the matter and you're going to to do it now! Do you understand me!” He leaned in to his brother's face, growling. “Now, Sesshomaru!”

Sesshomaru slashed his claws aimlessly, missing Inuyasha by a few feet as the hanyou dodged. He howled in rage, twisting to land another blow on his brother. The panic surged in the Demon Lord's scent as he charged erratically. “You worthless creature. You are in no place to make demands of this Sesshomaru!” His hair lifted and his face started to elongate as he began his transformation into his true form.

Inuyasha's eyes went wide and he charged his brother, slamming Sesshomaru into the muck. “Knock it off, Sesshomaru!” Inuyasha growled low in his throat, and pinned Sesshomaru's arm above his head to keep his brother from clawing. Sesshomaru snarled in return. Both gasped for air, lacking the energy to continue the brawl. His brother's scent reeked of distress and fear. Inuyasha stood, his hands on his knees as he caught his breath and he whispered, trying to calm the Demon Lord's nerves, “Come on, talk to me. Something is bothering you. Is there something wrong with the pup?”

Sesshomaru backed away, gasping. He clenched his hand tightly at his side as he looked down at the ground, his brows furrowed. A tense frown rested on his lips. Sesshomaru turned, staring back up towards the sky. His eyes melted back to gold and his shoulders slumped. Silver tresses tangled around his face, and mud clumped to the strands. Blood trickled down his arm and cheeks. Inuyasha noticed the bruises forming, black rings circling both eyes. Cuts and abrasions marred his entire body. Sesshomaru glanced towards Inuyasha from the corner of his eye. “Leave me.”

Inuyasha stepped closer. He put a hand onto Sesshomaru's shoulder. “Not until you tell me what is wrong. It's Rin, isn't it. Kagome told me that the pup thinks you're angry with her, that she failed you. Why would she think that?”

Shock crossed Sesshomaru's face before settling into an unreadable mask. He continued to stare up towards the sky and Inuyasha turned to glance in the same direction. Rain pelted their faces as it it continued to storm. Another flash of lightning followed by a booming detonation made Inuyasha squeeze his eyes shut and crush his ears to his skull. His torn ear stung in pain.

Sesshomaru whispered, “Rin is no longer human.”

Inuyasha opened his eyes, blinking. He wrinkled his nose in confusion. “I don't understand. What the fuck do you mean she's not human? She sure smells like it.”

Sesshomaru sighed. He turned his head, looking at Inuyasha. “She is like the sorcerers. I have seen it with my own eyes.” He lifted his hand, pointing towards something in the muck. “Rin cut that rock in half. I had her do it after the wolf-woman finished training her today. I needed to be certain that it was actually Rin who used the power.”

Another brilliant flash illuminated the clearing and Inuyasha saw the rock cleanly shorn in half sitting a few feet away. He shook his head in disbelief. “Are you sure Rin did that? So what that sorceress said was true, then. The pup is a sorceress. She said the pup trans-something-or-othered herself out of danger.”

The lean Demon Lord nodded. “It is true. The wolf-woman called it translocation.” Sesshomaru pursed his lips, worry in his eyes. “I am certain that it was Rin who cleaved that rock. She made a whip of blue fire and used it to do so.”

“A whip?” Inuyasha flattened his ears to his head. “You mean like yours?”

“It is what I said.” Sesshomaru stared at the half-demon through drenched silver bangs. Rivulets of water streaked down his sullied cheeks and his stripes disappeared into the grime marring his elegant features. “Do not make this Sesshomaru repeat himself.”

“So now what?” Inuyasha massaged the wounded triangle atop his head and winced from the stinging pain. “What are we going to do about it?”

“There is no we, Inuyasha. Make no mistake, I shall handle this matter on my own. Rin is my responsibility, not yours. Do not assume you can insinuate yourself into my private affairs.” Sesshomaru stepped back, his lithe form stiff. “Now take your leave of me.”

“Damn it Sesshomaru, don't be stupid. I'm not going anywhere.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, thrusting his chin out in defiance. He plastered his ears to his skull. His bangs shrouded his eyes and he knit his brows together. Inuyasha asked, “Wait a minute. Training? What training?”

“The wolf-woman began Rin's training this afternoon. That is all you need to know.” Sesshomaru turned his back, making his way towards the road.

Inuyasha growled. He followed, grabbing Sesshomaru's hand. “Oh no you don't, fucker. You're going to tell me the rest.”

Sesshomaru glanced over his shoulder, his gold eyes furious. “Unhand me at once, half-breed.”

“Not a chance.” Inuyasha squeezed his brother's hand. “Damn it, Sesshomaru. Don't be so stubborn. Just tell me the rest already.”

The anger in Sesshomaru's eyes melted into confusion. “Half-breed, why are you being so persistent? It does not concern you. What does it matter to you?”

Inuyasha kept a firm grip on his brother's hand. “That's bullshit and we both know it. Of course it concerns me. Why wouldn't it? You're making this harder than it has to be. Now just tell me everything, asshole, so we can deal with it. Why don't you admit it, just this once, that you need help. I'm not going to back off so just let me help you already, damn it.”

Sesshomaru wrenched his hand back. He snorted. “This Sesshomaru, needing help from a half-breed like you. Ridiculous.” A small smile flickered across his lips and he shook his head. Sesshomaru lowered his eyes to the ground, clenching his hand to his side. He frowned, confusion entering into his scent. Sesshomaru whispered, “This Sesshomaru does not understand why the sorcerers' Master gave Rin this power.”

“Well, their Master did. Who knows why this God does anything.” Inuyasha rubbed his ear again, one claw teasing the tear in the tip. “She'll have to learn how to use it, I guess.”

Sesshomaru growled, glaring. He sighed in exasperation. “Half-breed, don't you think that I already know that. Do not state the obvious.” His brows knit and he frowned. “That strange wolf-woman, Poledra, insists on training Rin to use this new power. It perplexes this Sesshomaru as to why the wolf-woman was selected to educate her. I do not like wolves and I find it disturbing.”

“And just where the hell are you for all of these so called training sessions, anyways? Don't tell me, the fucking wolf-wench won't let you be there for them.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, running one foot on the back of his leg.

“No. She insists on my presence, actually.”

“Really. That surprises me.” Inuyasha cocked his head to one side. “So what the fuck happens in these lessons anyways?”

Silence overcame them, all but the steady drumming of the rain against the ground. Sesshomaru lifted his head, staring up at the savage sky. Wind swirled his hair about his battered shoulders. He lifted his hand to his pointed ear, pinching it between a clawed thumb and finger. A soft breath passed his lips. “The wolf-woman, she demonstrates how to do something with this Will and then Rin imitates it.”

“Like what? What has she taught Rin?” Inuyasha twitched his ears.

“She showed Rin how to move a rock first.” He flicked his gold eyes to rest on Inuyasha. “It was more of this translocation.”

Inuyasha bit his lip. “How? I don't understand.”

“This Sesshomaru does not quite understand it himself.” Sesshomaru returned his gaze to the storm. “She instructed Rin in the manner of harnessing the power, then how to move the rock with her mind. It concerns me.”

“What about that whip?” Inuyasha moved to stand next to his brother. He stared up into the rain. “You said earlier that she made a whip.”

“The wolf-woman showed her how to create energy to throw. The whip Rin made, however, was something she did on her own.” Sesshomaru closed his eyes, rain water running down his cheeks. He continued, “Rin told this Sesshomaru that she chose to use the energy this way because she was imitating me.”

Inuyasha nodded. “Alright, but you haven't answered my first question. Why does the pup feel that she's failed you? Kagome said that Rin thought you were angry with her.”

Sesshomaru sighed. “I have no quarrel with Rin and I have tried to assure her of this. However, while I recuperated after the battle with Naraku's demon, Poledra gave Rin a gift. It is an amulet the wolf-woman said their Master had crafted for her nearly five hundred years ago.”

“You mean the strange silver objects the other sorcerers have? But why would Rin think you're angry with her for getting this amulet?” Inuyasha looked at his brother.

Sesshomaru stared ahead and his eyes narrowed as he peered into the gloom. “Because she did not acquire my permission before receiving it. The wolf woman locked it around her throat with a spell and Rin feels that because she did not speak with me first that I am vexed with her.” Sesshomaru glanced towards Inuyasha from the corner of his eye.

Inuyasha snorted. “Figures they wouldn't ask you first. I'm getting tired of that bullshit. So the pup thinks you're angry with her because of it. I'm pretty fed up with the fucking wolf-wench and I haven't really talked to her. Why can't she just leave Rin alone?”

“Actually, Rin's gift may be a blessing in disguise,” Sesshomaru replied, staring up towards the now light rain.

“Now you've lost me. What are you talking about? How is it a blessing? You do know the pup could kill herself if she's not careful.” Inuyasha rubbed his wounded ear, wincing at how tender it felt.

“Think, half-breed. Rin is no longer mortal. The other sorcerers claim to be thousands of years old. If this is true, then that life span would also hold true for Rin.”

“I guess I didn't think of it that way.” Inuyasha shook his head again as he looked towards the rock Rin cut. “We've got another problem. Naraku. If he finds out that the pup has this sorcery shit, he'll go after her. What are we going to do about it?” The rain dissipated and the soft light from the low crescent moon illuminated the clearing. Inuyasha shook himself like a dog, water spraying off of his hair and clothes. The half-demon glanced to his right when he heard a soft growl. His brother stood, his hand clenched to his side and his lips pulled back to reveal his fangs. Inuyasha shrugged. “What?”

Sesshomaru's shoulders slumped and he sighed. “Never mind.” He held his hand up to his cheek. “As for Naraku, there is no change. I shall kill him and any threat he poses will be rendered obsolete.”

“What about the Grolim fuckers? They're working with him, you know. After what they did to me, do you really want to take a chance with what Naraku might want them to do to the pup? Who knows what twisted things he'll come up with.”

“The only choice I have is to let Rin learn how to use her new power.” Sesshomaru turned, trudging through the slick muck. He lifted Tokijin out of it, sheathing it back at his waist. “Half-breed, we are finished here.”

Inuyasha sauntered over to his brother. He pulled Tetsusaiga from the ground, placing it back into its sheath. “That's it? You're just going to have Rin go through this training?”

“It is what I have said.” Sesshomaru glanced towards him, over his shoulder. “This Sesshomaru thinks you look absurd.”

“You know something? You sound so full of yourself when you say all of that ridiculous this Sesshomaru shit.” He grinned, grabbing a fistful of mud. “This Inuyasha thinks you look like shit.” He shoved the mud into Sesshomaru's face. “Now didn't that sound stupid?”

Sesshomaru stiffened. He wiped it from his eyes, flinging it off of his fingers before he gripped Inuyasha by the front of his haori. He tossed the half-demon into the mud pool. Sesshomaru glared down at the half demon at his feet. A wicked smile flickered across his face. He said, “I suggest you keep such opinions to yourself.”

Inuyasha picked up some more muck. He returned the grin, chucking it at Sesshomaru. It spattered across his brother's armor, coating it. “Why don't you make me?”

Sesshomaru looked down at his armor. He dragged his clawed hand across it, scooping up the mud. Sesshomaru lifted his head, his amused gold eyes fixed on Inuyasha. He flicked his wrist, slinging it back at Inuyasha. “Half-breed, do not issue challenges you cannot meet.”

“Oh yeah? You think you can take me?” Inuyasha moved to sit cross legged. He grabbed two fistfuls of mud, hurling them at Sesshomaru. “You forget, I have two hands, jackass.” The mud struck its target, this time hitting his brother smack in the center of his forehead.

Sesshomaru closed his eyes. He shook himself, water and mud spraying from his hair. Inuyasha flinched back, feeling it sting as it hit. He flattened his ears, grunting as he felt his ripped ear burn. Sesshomaru's smooth voice teased, “What was it you were saying about having two hands, half-breed?”

“I'll show you what two hands can do!” Inuyasha scooped more muck up and lunged at Sesshomaru. He placed the palms of his hands on each of Sesshomaru's cheeks, smearing the black grime over his brother's pale face. He let go, slipping on the mud to fall back on his bottom. Inuyasha laughed, clutching his stomach. “There, take that!”

Sesshomaru scowled at Inuyasha. He said, “You look like a baka down there, little brother. Cease acting like a pup.”

“Who you calling a baka? Why don't you make me! Or are you just a coward and afraid to fight me!” Inuyasha flung more mud that splattered and slid down Sesshomaru's armor.

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed and he snorted. He scoffed, “Do not be foolish, half-breed. I see no reason to lower myself to your level.”

“Coward. You just don't think you can win in a mud fight with me. Admit it.” Inuyasha hurled more muck, globs of it sticking to Sesshomaru's cheeks. “Come on, what are you afraid of, getting dirty? It's a little late for that, stupid. Now fight me!”

The Demon Lord rolled his eyes. “Half-breed, I will not take part in this ridiculous fight.” He pulled the mud off of his cheeks, shaking his hand to free his fingers of it. “Do not think I will be absurd.”

“You're scared you'll lose. Come on, fight me!” Inuyasha taunted, gripping more muck in his clawed hands. He raised his arms, mocking a throw. He laughed when he saw that Sesshomaru glared at him. “You thought I was going to throw it, didn't you! You just don't think you've got what it takes to win in a mud fight against me. Come on!”

Sesshomaru turned around. “We are finished here, half-breed.”

Inuyasha tossed the mud in his hands, caking it into his brother's hair as it hit the back of Sesshomaru's head. He said, “Don't turn your back on me! Get back here and face me!” He rolled and kicked his feet out. Inuyasha clipped Sesshomaru around the ankles, forcing the Demon Lord to fall into the muck next to him. He shoveled more mud, flicking it at his brother as he struggled to sit up. It splashed, coating Sesshomaru's hair and face. “Oh, how nice of you to join me, big brother. Who's the baka now? Now fight me, you scardy-cat!”

The Demon Lord sat up, his hand clenched into a fist within the mud. He glared at Inuyasha, a faint grin on his smudged face. He leaned over, shoving a fistful of mud into the half-demon's face and smashed it against Inuyasha's nose. A soft chuckle reached Inuyasha's ears. “I believe the mud suits you better than it does me, half-breed.”

Inuyasha sputtered. He shoved Sesshomaru away, hurling some more mud at him. “Oh really.” It splattered against his brother's armor, sliding down its front. “I think it looks pretty good on you, actually. It goes well with your pompous attitude.”

The Demon Lord ran his hand through his hair, pulling some globs of mud from it. He flicked it back at Inuyasha. Sesshomaru grabbed more mud, slinging it back to land on Inuyasha's haori front. “It suits your insolent one.”

“That's it! Bring it on, fucker.” Inuyasha lunged at his brother, grinding his palm against Sesshomaru's nose. “Jackass, you deserved that.”

Sesshomaru pushed back, smearing mud into Inuyasha's hair. “I already told you, do not issue challenges you can not follow through on, half-breed.”

Inuyasha grasped two handfuls, spreading them into his brother's hair. “Who said I'd back down, especially to your overconfident ass? You're the one who wouldn't fight at first, after all.”

“Impertinent half-breed.” Sesshomaru pulled the mud from his hair, tossing it to stick to Inuyasha's cheek.

“Overbearing asshole.” Inuyasha ducked another shot from his brother before tackling him to smudge his mud caked palm onto his brother's forehead.

“Simpleton.” More globs of mud splattered as both brothers tossed it at one another.

“Jackass.” Mud sprayed, coating Inuyasha in the face.

“Half-witted half-breed.” Sesshomaru turned his head to avoid another assault from Inuyasha's muddy palms.

“Dumbass.” Inuyasha rubbed mud on Sesshomaru's neck when he couldn't reach his brother's face. He flicked his fingers to free any excess.

“Baka.” Sesshomaru shoved his hand out, smearing mud across Inuyasha's ear.

“Stuck-up royal pain in the ass. You'll pay for that!” Inuyasha gripped Sesshomaru with one hand and pushed the palm of his other into his brother's nose. He twisted it, smearing more mud.

Sesshomaru pulled away, throwing another glob of muck at the half-demon. It hit Inuyasha in the face and he sputtered. “What's wrong, unable to speak, half-breed?”

Inuyasha fell back, howling with laughter. He rolled over, punching his fist into the ground. He grabbed more mud and hurled it at Sesshomaru, who blurred before his eyes. Inuyasha shouted, “Hey! No fair! That's cheating, asshole!”

“I don't recall there being any rules, little brother.” Sesshomaru turned on his heel, kicking up mud into Inuyasha's face. He snorted, looking over his shoulder. The moonlight splashed across his face, the grime on his cheeks contrasting with the visible streaks of silver in his mud coated hair. He shook his head and muttered, “What utter foolishness.”

Inuyasha wiped the mud from his eyes, looking down at the torn grass beneath him. The half-demon shook his head, laughing. When he finally caught his breath, Inuyasha said, “We better get back before the girls come looking.” He looked around, realizing that Sesshomaru wasn't there anymore. “Hey! You asshole! Get back here!”

Inuyasha ran towards the road, catching up with Sesshomaru as he made his way to the camp. The elder brother said, “I was beginning to wonder who you were talking to, little brother.”

“Shut up!” Inuyasha snorted. “Fucker, just for that I should kick your ass again.” Sesshomaru continued on ahead, not answering. Inuyasha shook his fist at his brother's retreating back. “Hey! I'm talking here!” He raced after, to walk next to Sesshomaru. He huffed. “Like anyone wants to talk to you anyways. You just don't want to admit that I kicked your ass.”

“Inuyasha, shut up.”