Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Choices of Heroes ❯ Family Reunion ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Family isn't about whose blood you have. It's about who you care about.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Ike's Wee Wee, 1998
 
Chapter 1:
Family Reunion
 
A Month Later…
 
In a secluded and unknown location, a group of scientist worked in a large laboratory working on some project. “What is the status on our subject?” asked one of the lab technicians.
 
“It looks good. Vitals are stable and nothing seems out of the norm.”
 
“Make sure that it stays that way or it'll be our heads if this subject doesn't make it.” Looking up they saw a large tube filled with some kind of green liquid and inside it was a figure with wire connected to it. “Whatever the higher ups have planned to do with this thing it'll definitely be something to see.”
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
“Man, I am so bored. There has to be something interesting to do.”
 
“Quit you complaining Takeru. It's starting to get annoying.” retorted Daisuke as he sat in a chair reading a book while Takeru was sitting in another chair with lying against the desk. It had been a month since Daisuke and the others have encountered anyone associated with the Takenaka Corporation and during that time not much as happen to them with the exception that Daisuke's house was now completely redone thanks to their new friend Samuel Bentson.
 
The moment of calm was soon broken when a knock on the door was heard. “Come on in, the door's open.”
 
Opening the door, it was revealed Hikari with a few grocery bags. “Could someone please help me with these bags?” Quickly coming to her aid both men went over and each grabbed a bag and took them to the kitchen.
 
“Why did you even bother to go grocery shopping Hikari when I don't need food to sustain me?” To help solidify his statement Daisuke opened the fridge and pulled out a cup of some red liquid. Doing a small salute, he began to drink the liquid down to the disgust of his friends.
 
“Oh man, that's gross. Do you actually have to drink that stuff in front of us?” asked a sicken Hikari.
 
Wiping the blood from his lips Daisuke looked at her in confusion. “What's the matter? It's only pig's blood?”
 
“Yeah, but that still doesn't mean we have to see you drink it?” Ignoring her comments he grabbed the newspaper that was brought along with the groceries and with his drink in hand went back to his seat.
 
“This has to be one of the most boringness times of my life.” muttered Takeru once again. “Hikari, please tell me you know of something for us to do.”
 
“Sorry but nothing exciting has happen with me either. Even finding work is hard to find. If things keep going the way it has been I may get evicted from my apartment.”
 
“Well, if that does happen you could always room up with Daisuke. I'm sure he wouldn't mind that idea, wouldn't you Daisuke? …Daisuke?”
 
Turning around they saw that Daisuke was there in his seat eyes glued on the paper. “Hey Daisuke, is everything okay?”
 
Snapping out his trance, he looked over to them. “What? Sorry about that you guys. I guess I must have spaced out there for a second.” Getting up he tossed the paper into the trash and grabbed his coat as he headed for the door.
 
“I'm going out for a while. Call me only if it's an emergency.”
 
“But Daisuke, the sun's still out. So how are you expecting to go anywhere without getting burned to a crisp?” inquired Hikari.
 
“I'll remember to keep the top of my car up.” With that, he walked out of his very own place.
 
“Was it just me or was there something not right with Daisuke? What could have possibly made him acted like that?” Going over to the trash, Hikari pulled out the newspaper and turned to the last page that Daisuke was reading. After scanning it, she came across a particular article.
 
`FAMOUS CELEBERTY TO WED VIRTUAL UNKNOWN WOMAN'. Below that headline was a picture of what had to be the couple to be wed but what really caught her interested was who the woman in the picture was. “Oh my lord, this is a surprise. Hopefully Daisuke won't react badly to this surprising news.”
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
“That news was definitely unexpected.” muttered Daisuke to himself as he drove to the nearby park. Parking in heavily shaded area he looked to where the paper said that the wedding was supposed to take place.
 
From his position he couldn't see all that was happening but it didn't matter as he caught sight at what he was looking for. Standing there was a lady in her mid twenties with long brown hair that reached her shoulders and brown eyes. “She's just like how I remembered her. I'm glad to see that she has been able to get on with her life after what she's gone through.”
 
For a while all he did was watch her and seeing how happy she was until he saw a man walk up to her. He had blonde hair that reached his neck gray colored eyes and was wearing a black business suit. When he saw the man wrap his arms around the woman Daisuke got this uneasy feeling. It was as though there was more than meets the eye to the man.
 
He wouldn't have time to think about it any further as two figures that had their entire bodies covered in some kind of tarps run in, knocked the man down as they grabbed the woman and run off with her. Daisuke was about to go in and try to help but quickly stepped back as the sunlight began to burn his skin.
 
Not wanting to just stand by and watch this happen he looked for an opportunity to intervene and when he saw that they were heading to another shaded area not to far away he saw his chance. Moving quickly he ran to the location that they ran off to see that the two of them was trying to force the women into the back of a van. Without wasting another moment he went at the two men who tossed their hostage into the van when they saw him coming.
 
They immediately tried to double team him but Daisuke dodged the first strike and delivered a punch to the following person. He continued to avoid his two opponents' assault and as he was doing so he managed to rip off one of the men's hoods to discover that the man was actually a vampire. Seeing that their identities were revealed the other man took his hood off to confirm that he was a vampire as well. Having this new bit of information it gave Daisuke the opportunity to just put an end to the fight.
 
Allowing the both of them to come closer he grabbed their shirts and by using their momentum to toss them out of the protection of the shade and into the sunlight. The reaction was almost instant as the two of them were engulfed in flames as their bodies turned to ash.
 
Turning around he realized that the woman was still in the van. Opening the door he saw that she was lying on the van floor and wasn't moving. Checking to see if she was okay he discovered that she had only passed out.
 
Suddenly the woman's eyes slightly open and look straight at him. “Daisuke?” Before anything could happen Daisuke heard voices of people coming. By the time they arrived he was already gone.
 
“Oh thank goodness. I'm so glad that you're safe.” exclaimed the apparent fiancée as he gave the woman an embrace but the only thing that the woman was thinking of was did she actually see what she thought she saw.
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
Later That Night...
 
After leaving the park Daisuke returned to his place and spoke to no one since he arrived. Now he was all alone drinking his cup of blood. “So, you went to go see her?” Glancing over he saw Hikari leaning against the wall. Walking over she sit herself in the seat opposite of him and for what felt like an eternity neither one said anything. Hikari would be the one to break the silence.
 
“You made quite the impression today. It has been talked about on nearly every news station about how two unknown men tried to kidnap a celebrity's fiancée but were stop by an unidentified savior.” Nothing was said as she allowed what was said to sink in.
 
“Are you going to tell her that it was you?”
 
“...No.” was Daisuke's simple answer.
 
“Why not? Don't you think that she deserves to know the truth?” Not answering her question he simply grabbed his cup blood and took a drink.
 
“For damn sakes Daisuke she's your sister.” Without warning Daisuke slammed his cup down onto the desk, nearly breaking it.
 
“Do you think that I don't know that? I would love to go to my sister, who I have not seen for almost eight years and say that I'm back. But I can't because of this.” Pointing to his face he changed it to his vampire form before changing right back.
 
“My sister and I did not always get along but we viewed each other as equals. I want her to remember me as the brother who she grew up with and not someone who drinks...drinks this!” Being overcome by anger he tossed his cup of pigs' blood at the wall which caused it to shatter and splattered across the wall. “I'm going on patrol. Remember to lock up when you leave.” With that he left, leaving Hikari alone to wonder what would become of this.
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
A Day Later...
 
“Excuse me, are you Jun Motomiya?” Turning around the woman in question looked to the person who asked.
 
“Yes I am. May I ask who you are?”
 
“It's me, Hikari Kamiya.” Getting to her feet the woman now identified as Jun stood wide eyed in front of Hikari. “Oh my goodness, it's you.”
 
The two then shared a quick hug. “Look at you, you've sure changed since the last time we saw each other. How long has it been since we last saw each other?”
 
“About ten years I believe.” Not wanting to discuss what she wanted to see out in the open, Hikari spoke up. “Listen; is there a more secluded place so we can talk?”
 
“Yeah, I know of a place.” After a half an hour the two of them reached Jun's luxurious hotel room. “Make yourself comfortable. Both of my parents are out touring the city so we'll have the place to ourselves for a while.” For sometime neither one said anything knowing how to start the conversation. Finally it would be Hikari to start it up.
 
“How are you doing Jun? I heard about what happen to you yesterday and I was wondering how you were coping?”
 
“Well, with all things considering I'm doing okay. I was just fortunate that I was saved by some mysterious person.” Unknown by her was that Hikari had a slight nervous look on her face. “Putting that aside why don't you tell me how it feels like to be getting married to a wealthy man?”
 
“It's okay but I just wish that my brother was here to share this.”
 
Putting on his best acting face, Hikari played along. “I heard about what happened to him. I'm sorry about your loss.” She wanted so badly to tell Jun that her brother was back but she knew that Daisuke would never forgive her if she did that.
 
“Thank you, I appreciate it. If Daisuke was here he would be telling me to not to be so worried and that everything will be okay. That was always like him. Making sure that those he cared for were okay. I could use some of that right now.”
 
“What do you mean by that?”
 
“Well, it really started about six months after Daisuke's death. I would receive these disturbing letters from this anonymous person. Not long after I was cornered by two muggers. I thought that it was the end for me until I was saved by Jeffery. We would later start going out which lead us to become a couple and finally when he proposed marriage I accepted. However, those mysterious letters have still continued to come and with what happen yesterday I'm not sure about anything.”
 
To help put her friend at ease Hikari placed a comforting hand on Jun's knee. “Hey now, you shouldn't allow yourself to get overwhelmed by all this. I may not be Daisuke but I believe that he would say to relax and everything will be okay in the end.”
 
Wiping rid of the unseen tears from her eyes, Jun put on a weak but grateful smile. “Thank you Hikari, I appreciate what you have done for me today. It's a real shame that Daisuke passed away since we could've probably become sister-in-laws.”
 
That comment took Hikari by complete surprise. “W-What do you mean by that?”
 
“It's too late for it to happen so don't worry about it. Let's talk about something else and take our minds off of our worries.” For the next couple of hours the two of them talked about a number of things such as bringing up the past and what they have done since the last time they met. However during that time Hikari was wondering what to do when Daisuke hears about this.
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
The sun had set only an hour ago and Hikari was already at Daisuke's place ready to talk about what happened with Jun. Using the key that she was given, she entered and immediately spotted Daisuke sitting at his desk while reading the paper. “So you went to see my sister did you?” asked Daisuke from out of nowhere.
 
“How did you know?” questioned a surprised Hikari.
 
Putting the paper down Daisuke looked at her with stare that lacked any emotion which caused Hikari to become cautious. “I can smell the same sent of my sister on you. I guess you can thank my vampire smelling for that. You didn't tell her about me did you?”
 
“No, I didn't and why do you care if I did?” Removing his glare he put his casual face back on. “I care because I want my sister to remember me as the brother that she grew up with and not one who will become the human torch if he steps foot into the sun.”
 
Reaching into her purse Hikari pulled out a small tape recorder. “Well, if that is your choice then you can at least listen to this.” Putting the tape recorder on the desk she slid it over to him. “I figured that you would want to know what has been happening with your sister so I recorded the discussion that we had.”
 
Getting out what she wanted to do, Hikari turned around and headed for the door. “If you do decide to listen to that recording, listen real carefully to it. There could be some things that may hear some real interesting things. Now if you excuse me, I have a friend's wedding to get ready for.”
 
With that said she left leaving Daisuke alone to ponder on whether or not to listen to the tape recorder. Finally coming to a decision he reached over and pressed the play button. Immediately he heard the voice of his sister.
 
“It's okay but I just wish that my brother was here to share this.” For the new few hours all that he did was listen to the recording of the one person that he wish to see again.
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
“Tell me again why you want me to do this search?” asked Takeru. It was the day after Daisuke was given the tape recording and after listening to it he immediately called Takeru over to help him in figuring out something.
 
“Because I believe that there is more to what happened with my sister then simple coincidence. All I need is something to solidify my theory.”
 
After nearly an hour of searching, Takeru was able to discover something. “Well, isn't this interesting?”
 
“What did you find?” Walking over he peered at the computer over Takeru's shoulder.
 
“I went online and cross-reference everything that has happen with your sister to see if there were any similarities with anyone else and look at what I came across.” Clicking on one of the links it went to a newspaper clipping that said, `LOCAL GIRL DISAPPEARS WITHOUT A TRACE'.
 
Scrolling down further it showed that it had a picture of the apparent girl that the article was talking about. Finding nothing useful he continued to look through the information and as they were doing that, Daisuke was trying to figure out was the connection between these people was.
 
“Come on Daisuke, this is pointless. What do you expect to find anyways?” Ignoring Takeru's comment Daisuke continued to search and finally he found what he was searching for. “You asked and you stall receive. Take a look at this.”
 
Pointing to a picture to another newspaper clipping it had a little note at the bottom that said, `Missing bride to be not found. Fiancée, wanted for questioning also disappears without a trace.' “So what, I don't see how this is different from any of the others that we saw.”
 
“It is different and the reason is that the man in the picture with the missing girl looks just like the one who's going to be marrying my sister.”
 
Looking at the aforementioned man, Takeru let out a grasp of surprise. “That's Impossible. By the date that's on this clipping he would have to be over a hundred years old. There's no way that he and this man are the same person.”
 
“You're wrong about that. There is a way but we have no time for that since we have to get moving?” “What are you talking about?” Heading for the door Daisuke grabbed his coat and a few other necessary items. “We have a wedding to attend.”
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
“I can hardly believe that the day has finally arrived. By the end of today I will become a married woman.” squealed Jun as she was getting prepared for her wedding.
 
“Calm down Jun, we heard you the last five times.” exclaimed Hikari who was there to keep company.
 
“Your friend's right honey.” added Mrs. Motomiya with her two cents. “If you keep this up you'll worry yourself to death.
 
Shaking off the feeling of fear, Jun put on a happy face. “You're right mom. This is supposed to be a day of joy so let's get myself married.”
 
The ceremony was a spectacular site as the whole church decor helped to set the mood of the event. Soon the wedding march started and Jun was walked down the aisle by her father and was left at the end her soon to be husband, Jeffery. Clearing his throat, the priest got himself ready to start the ceremony.
 
“Dearly beloved, we are gathered her today to unit this man and this woman in holy matrimony. If there is anyone who knows why these should not be wed speak now or forever hold your peace.”
 
No sooner than those words were said, all of the lights were turned off with the only light source being a few spotlights. “Ladies and gentlemen, sorry about the interruption but if everyone would please leave the building with the exception Jeffery Tano it would be greatly appreciated.” spoke a voice through the speakers. With some confusion the guests began to leave but as this was going on Hikari went off and hid to see what this was all about.
 
“This is totally unexpected.” exclaimed Jun who was one of the few people still in the building. “I don't know what's going on but I'll leave you alone until you're done.” She started to walk away only to be stopped by Jeffery. “Sorry, but you're not going anywhere.” Jeffery replied with a emotionless voice.
 
Snapping his fingers the eight remaining guests that was inside the church went in groups of two to each exit as they stood guard with their faces going vamp.
 
Not liking the feeling that she was getting from the situation, Jun began to get a little worried. “What is going on? Jeffery, what is the meaning of this?”
 
Pulling her closer to him, Jeffery wrapped his arm around her neck. “Okay, whoever you are you better show yourself now or I swear I'll break this girl's neck.” To show that he meant it he squeezed Jun's neck to the point where she could hardly breathe.
 
“You're really a class act you know that?' spoke a voice in the shadows that no one but Hikari and Jun knew who it belonged to. “I mean, you have to be good if you have been able to do this for over a hundred years.” Without warning two of the vampires were staked and turned to dust. “Getting close to a girl so you can take their life force to keep yourself young and then disappearing before you're caught. Come on, that has to take talent.”
 
Obviously that just fed into Jeffery's ego. `Why thank you. I must say that I am impressed. Never in all the time has that I have done this no one been able to figure it out.” Shortly after, another vamp was dusted. “So, how did you happen to get close to the girl that you're currently got a hold of?”
 
“Ha, she had to be my easiest prey and it's all started with her brother's death.” Right when that was said a fourth vamp was taken out. “When I read about his death I knew that his sister would be in the right state of mind for me to get close to her. All it took were some mysterious letters and for me to rescue her from a mugging that I set up and I had her in the palm of my hands. Now why don't you be so kind as to step into the light and show yourself?”
 
Nothing happened for a while as everyone waited for the unknown guest. It wasn't until the sound of footsteps that they caught a glimpse of the instructor that no one but Hikari and a very shocked Jun knew about.
 
“So you were the one that has been bothering us. However, the question is why would you even bother to save this woman?” It was then that Jeffery got a good look at his opposition. “I know who you are. You're Jun's dead brother. But there's no way that you can still be alive.” Looking at him Daisuke just gave him a smirk.
 
“Well, that would be true.” To their surprise, Daisuke's face went vamp. “But as you can see I found a way around that problem.” With that he threw a stake at one of the approaching vampires. He wouldn't have time to think about it as the three remaining vampires went after him.
 
Moving quickly he was able to avoid the majority of their assaults but as things went on he was slowly being overcome by them. Finally they got the best of him as two of them grabbed him from behind to allow the other to beat him. “Hey you two, heads up.”
 
Turning to the sound of the voice they saw that it was Hikari running at them with a bowl filled some kind of liquid. Knowing what it was Daisuke quickly got out of the way just as Hikari tossed the liquid on the two vamps.
 
The reaction was almost immediate as their bodies began to burn up until they finally combusted into dust. “Holy water, you got to love it.” Using this distraction to his advantage Daisuke got behind the last remaining vampire and with a quick twist his neck was broken which took care of him.
 
With nothing left standing in his way Daisuke slowly walked towards Jeffery who was backing up with Jun still in his clutches. “Now with that little distraction out of the way let's get back to business. I'll give you only one chance at this, hand over my sister or you'll be in for a world of pain.”
 
Right when he took a step forward he quickly stepped back as Jeffery put a cross in front of him. “I guess the myth about vampire hating crosses is true.”
 
Becoming more confident he began to walk forward with Daisuke taking the same amount of steps back. “This is an interesting predicament that we have here. The question that needs be ask is what should I do with you two now? Maybe I should let you watch as I take your sister's life with you being unable to do anything to stop me.”
 
Just when it seemed as though he was about to take her life he got a light tap on his shoulder. Turning around he spotted Takeru with a bat in hand. “Batter up.” Swinging he made contact with Jeffery's head that sent him flying back as well as losing his grip on Jun. “I guess all those times at the batting cages as a kid really paid off.”
 
Getting back to his feet Jeffery stared at everyone with hatred in his eyes. “This has gone on long enough. I'll make you pay for getting in my way.” Without warning, his right hand became all wrinkled. Shortly after, the rest of his body began to get old to the point that he was a huge walking hard shell. “Oh no, I'm starting to revert to my old body. I must find a new life force before it's too late.”
 
“I don't think so.” Coming from behind was Daisuke with his collapsible sword in hand. Before Jeffery could react, he ran in and cut his sword right through him so quickly that it seemed as though he didn't even hit. However, he in fact did.
 
It looked as though nothing happened until the upper half of Jeffery's body came clean off and fell to the floor. Since his whole body was now so brittle that when it hit the ground it smashed into a powdery ash with the other half following shortly after.
 
Walking over Daisuke saw that in the ash was Jeffery's head. “Here is something that you can take with you to hell.” Placing his foot on the head he stepped down and smashed it to dust. “Don't mess with my family.”
 
Looking up he saw Takeru and Hikari helping Jun to her feet. You could cut the tension with a knife as brother and sister made eye contact. Reaching into his jacket he pulled out a small metal ball. Throwing it to the ground it released a cloud of smoke. When the smoke vanished there was no sign of Daisuke, there by leaving the three of them to wonder what to do now.
 
-/-/-/-/-
 
The Next Day...
 
`FAMOUS MAN MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEARS. NO CLUES ON THE CAUSE.' That was on the headlines for many of the newspapers the day after from what happened at the church. Fortunately Hikari and Takeru were able to come up with a reasonable story which was that Jeffery suddenly got cold feet and ran off. Also since then Daisuke hasn't in contact with anyone, not wanting to be with anyone.
 
“So how much longer are you going to hide there Hikari?” Daisuke exclaimed without turning around.
 
Just as he guessed Hikari came out from behind the wall. “You know that enhanced vampire sense of smell and hearing can really get on people's nerves.”
 
Smiling slightly, Daisuke got to the matter at hand. “Let's just skip the small talk and get to the point. What did you tell Jun?”
 
“I told her the truth. That is was really you who saved her. On the subject of how you were still alive and how your face changed, well Takeru and I were a little vague but otherwise she went for it. By now she has probably told both your parents.” The both of them didn't say anything, neither one knowing what to say. Finally it would be Hikari to break the silence.
 
“Why are you doing this to yourself Daisuke? Just go ahead and see them. I mean they already know that you're `alive' so why not talk to them?”
 
“They may now know that I'm back but that doesn't mean that I want to be back in their lives. I mean, I have all these new things happening in my life and all the things that bump in the night like the Takenaka Corporation that will be coming after me and I don't want to put my family in harm's way because my enemies are trying to get to me.”
 
“Why don't you allow us to decide that for ourselves?” asked a new voice. Looking at where the voice came from they saw Jun by the door and she wasn't the only one as right behind her were both their mother and father.
 
“After Jun told her parents our story they came to me to find where you lived. I guess I forgot to tell you that.” said Hikari with a smirk on her face. “I'll leave the three alone so you can catch up.” With that she left leaving Daisuke alone with his family.
 
“I guess that I should start at the beginning.” Daisuke remarked with a sheepish tone in his voice.