Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon 02: The Road Not Taken ❯ To Stand Up ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon 02: The Road Not Taken
By Robster80
 
Episode Seven: To Stand Up
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon 02 or any of its characters. It is owned by Toei Animation, Saban (or whatever it's called now) and Jetix.
 
Previously: While Matt and the others wanted to take the fight to Davis's team, TK decided that such action wasn't necessary; Davis had proven himself better than him, and he accepted this. However, as the school week went by, Davis kept tormenting TK as if TK needed a reminder of who was superior, and Kari's attempt to try and reconcile with TK led to a bitter rebuttal. After a brutal dodgeball game in gym class, Davis told TK he would never stop his pursuit as long as TK drew breath. Fully aware of this, when Tk came home to find Gatomon, Matt, Ken, Wormmon and Patamon waiting for him, he declared with fierce determination “We fight back.”
 
 
Anyone who caught sight of Tai marching through the school hallways knew instinctively to get out of his way. One look at his face was all it would take to understand; he was seriously angry. Any why wouldn't he be? It was just a minute ago that he got a call on his cell from one of TK's classmates about everything Davis had done over the week. This classmate had also overheard Davis and TK's conversation in the boys' locker room earlier, and had been concerned after Davis had said he'd never ease up on TK at all despite that he had `lost to Davis in winning Kari's heart and on the battlefield.'
 
Familiar voices reached his ears as Tai drew closer to the computer room that the newer Digi-destined were using to get to the Digital World after school. His sudden appearance in the room caused everyone to become silent as all eyes fell on him. Only Davis smiled, not noticing how Tai's glare worsened at the sight of him. “Hey, Tai! Up for joining us-?”
 
“You,” Tai stated, pointing right at Davis, “stay right there! Everybody else, take a powder; especially you, Kari! You head straight home right now. Davis and I need to talk.”
 
Yolei quickly nodded. She could tell from Tai's look and tone that he also had heard what Davis had been up to involving TK; she tried to confront Davis about it just now, but he ignored her. She was about to make him listen when Tai showed up. “Okay,” she said, “you heard Tai. Everybody out! You, too, Demi-Veemon; just in case.”
 
While nervous as she followed Cody and the others out of the room, Kari silently thanked Tai for coming. She, too, knew about TK's abuse at Davis's hands. Unlike her brother and Yolei, however, she was unsure as to confront him about it. She wished she had their strength. Why couldn't she stand up to Davis instead of further twisting the knife in TK's heart and back as she had done previously?
 
There was an awkward silence in the computer room, even for a moment after everyone else had left. Tai and Davis stood alone, looking at each other. It was Tai who finally broke the silence. “I heard you've been a real bully this week, Davis.”
 
“What do you mean, Tai-?”
 
The older teen took a step forward. “You know EXACTLY what I mean, you little hothead! You've been pushing TK around, especially today in your gym class. One of your classmates told me what happened, and about your `pleasant little chat' with TK in the locker room.”
 
“I'm just reminding him that he-.”
 
“DON'T remind him, Davis! He knows Kari picked you, and that you beat him when you and the others got Patamon injured. You won, so back off.”
 
Now Davis returned the glare to his idol. “Tai, you're the man I look up to and respect, and you're my girlfriend's older brother. However, you can't tell me what to do regarding that traitor. No matter what he, you or anyone else says, he is my enemy and I have to crush him before he can do the same to me.”
 
“And you wonder why I gave TK my blessing to date Kari. You won't let up on my friend? That's fine, then; I will be escorting Kari to and from school everyday, and I will prevent you from setting one foot in our family's home. Even if you drag her into the Digital World, I will hunt the both of you down and drag her home. That, Davis, is how it's going to be; unless you agree to leave TK alone and apologize, from the heart, to him.”
 
“Never,” Davis said heatedly. “And you can't do that to my girl! You're not her father-.”
 
“But I am her brother, and I don't like you calling her your girl like that, like she's some sort of property. So what's it going to be, Davis?”
 
Once more there was silence. Suddenly, Davis took a hand to his head, and yanked off his goggles; the ones that Tai had given to him after his first experience in the Digital World. He threw them at his former idol's feet. “I admired you, I thought you were cool. Boy was I wrong. TP can have your dumb blessing; Kari still chose me, and that's all that matters.”
 
Tai calmly picked up his old goggles. He didn't put them on, however; he gripped them in his hand. “I shouldn't, but I'm giving you one last chance. Be a man, Davis; let it go.”
 
Davis glared hard as Tai left the room. His hands, tightly balled into fists, shook with a rage he was trying to hold back. How dare Tai do this to him? Hadn't he looked up to him? Hadn't he earned the right to be the new leader of the Digi-Destined? TK was the traitor, not him. Tai had no right to make him stop showing the traitor his place, nor did he have the right to keep Kari away from him.
 
When Cody and Yolei, along with their Digimon and Demi-Veemon, returned to the room, Davis marched over and grabbed Demi-Veemon. “We're going home,” he said through grit teeth and he stormed out of the room and into the hallway.
 
“Hey, wait,” Cody cried after him. “What about restoring the Digital-?”
 
“Not in the mood,” was Davis's reply, never turning around to face Cody.
 
“This could be ugly,” Upamon said, as Cody held him in his arms.
 
“I don't understand it at all. Why does Davis despise TK so much? Sure, TK left us to befriend Ken and I can't really blame him for being upset with Kari, but he doesn't deserve such contempt.”
 
“And Kari's not helping the situation, either.” Upamon said. “Do you really think she loves Davis?”
 
“There's also a difference between loving someone, and having a crush on someone,” Poromon replied as he and Yolei joined their friends out in the hall. “Like how Yolei thought she loved Ken before we found out he was the Digimon Emperor.”
 
Though Yolei hated to admit it, Poromon had a valid point. If she were Kari, she'd try to figure out just which best described her feelings for Davis, true love, or a crush. “We might as well go home. We wouldn't get much done by ourselves.”
 
“Should we go and see if TK-?”
 
“No. Let's leave him be for now. If I were him, I wouldn't want any company right now.”
 
 
**************
 
 
It was almost Seven at night before TK and his group had finally settled on a plan. They had picked out a sector in the Digital World full of control spires that they would try to clear out. Ken had finally perfected his stealth program; they had tried it out by sending him and TK into two different parts of the Digital World, and neither were able to detect each other while the program was running. Ken's skills had fixed all the errors from last time, and also allowed them to toggle the stealth mode on and-or off.
 
How the plan worked was that TK, Matt, and their Digimon would hide while Ken and Wormmon took on the spires themselves while leaving their D-3 detectable so Davis and his group would track him down. Then, they would wait for Davis to make the first attack before they would come out with a counterattack. Ogremon and Leomon, as well as Digitamamon and Andromon, were also in on the plan; they wanted to help after hearing of Davis's treatment of TK during school. Like the others, Andromon and Digitamamon were willing to give Ken a second chance, especially Digitamamon since he had also been one of the bad guys before.
 
TK offered Gatomon to remain in his home during the time the plan would be enabled. He didn't want her to be forced into fighting against Kari. However, Gatomon made it clear that she wanted in, offering to keep Kari at bay while TK would take on Davis. “You're not the only one tired of being pushed around,” she had said. “I want to get Davis back for trying to force me to pair up with Veemon.”
 
Once the plan had been finalized, everyone but Gatomon went home. She, TK, and Patamon were left to await the next day. They kept silent about the plan, however, when Nancy returned that evening. They didn't want her to know they were going to pick a fight with their former friends. Though she was understanding towards her son's feelings, she had raised TK to avoid fighting when possible.
 
However, when TK came out for dinner, she had a surprise for him. “TK, I've decided to have you home school for a few weeks.”
 
This, of course, was sudden. “Home school, me? But why-?”
 
Nancy crossed her arms at her son. “Don't play games with me, my son. I got a call from your principal, who was told by your gym teacher that Davis was quote out to get you and badly, end quote. TK, I know you're not provoking him, but he's got you marked as a glutton for punishment or something, and I'm worried it might go too far. That's why I've already arranged for you to be home-schooled for the remainder of the semester. Sora's father, a college professor, has offered to be your teacher.”
 
“No offense, mom, but that feels like running away.”
 
“My mind is made up, and the arrangements have been made. First thing in the morning, you and I are cleaning out your locker and desk at school. Hope you didn't make any plans.”
 
None I want you to know about. However, our plan won't kick off until later in the day, anyways. “As you wish, mother.”
 
 
**************
 
 
Cody left his family's apartment right after breakfast. He wanted to talk to TK, whether TK was willing to listen or not. If it was possible, he wanted to hear TK's side of the current situations, and maybe try to see why TK felt Ken deserved a second chance. When he arrived at the Takaishis' door, however, it was in time to see TK and his mom leaving. He bowed politely as they approached him. “Good morning, TK, and Ms Takaishi.”
 
Nancy and TK bowed back, but only Nancy replied. “Hello, Cody. We were on our way to the school to get TK's things.”
 
“Forgive me, but, are you moving away again?”
 
TK sighed heavily. “No, but mom's making me take home school because of Davis. She worries about me too much, I think.”
 
“Actually, her reasons seem justified to me. May I help?”
 
“We appreciate the offer, but we wouldn't want you to trouble yourself, Cody. Besides, I want this done and over with before you and the others go to the school to use the computers. I'm not sure I want to see Davis and Kari myself after everything my son's been through with them.”
 
Just then, Cody got an idea. “If it would help, I could stall the others. Or even get them to go to Izzy's to use his computer.”
 
Nancy smiled at this. “Why, thank you, Cody. That sounds like a good idea.”
 
Once more, Cody bowed. “It's the least I can do, since I wasn't any help at all lately. TK, I would like to talk with you when we both have the time. Until then, I'd better get going before the others head down to the school.”
 
Watching Cody leave, TK tried his hardest to smile. Sadly, he couldn't. Despite Cody's offer and willingness to help, he would soon see a side to TK very few had seen before. We may not be friends after today, Cody. I'm sorry, but this is something I have to do.
 
 
**************
 
Cody's deception had worked; the gang went over to Izzy's home instead of the school, which gave TK and Nancy a quiet time to gather all his things from there. Izzy had meant for them to come to his place for a meeting anyways; he wanted to give his advice on the situation with TK and Ken. To Davis's dismay, however, Izzy also warned them to keep their distance from TK and Ken.
 
“Remember that e-mail's message,” he said, “we can't be fighting amongst ourselves; we need to all work together.”
 
Cody absorbed Izzy's words carefully. Perhaps he had been too hard on Ken lately. Maybe he should try to put his ill-feelings aside and make a truce with Ken and TK. He was already starting on this path by helping TK earlier, so why shouldn't he take it a step further?
 
Kari wasn't sure what to think. She was still confused by her feelings. She loved Davis, yet felt TK's distancing from her had left her incomplete. While she didn't like what Davis was doing towards TK, she didn't have the courage to make him stop. Supporting one's love was a key in a relationship, but was she willing to leave her greatest friendship shattered at her feet for that?
 
Yolei's thoughts were similar to Cody's. What had she done at all to try and help restore her former team to what it had been? Almost nothing, except a lousy email to TK saying she'd try to help. She didn't even lift a finger when Patamon got injured. She needed to do more, to try harder to fully regain TK's friendship.
 
Even Demi-Veemon felt that Izzy was right. He still felt guilty for getting Patamon hurt and nearly crushing TK the last time they had met. It didn't matter what Davis would say or do, he would make amends if it killed him.
 
“Okay, we get the hint,” Davis finally exclaimed after listening to Izzy's lectures. He still didn't believe that TK wasn't the enemy, but he had had enough of sitting around and listening to others talk. “We came here to get at more control spires, so let's do it!”
 
Izzy brought up the Digi-port on his computer screen. However, before he moved himself and his chair aside, he looked right at Davis. “Promise me that you won't go looking for a fight.”
 
“Yeah, whatever,” Davis said, aiming his D-3 at the screen. “DIGI-PORT OPEN!”
 
Kari and the others followed Davis immediately. However, once they were gone, Izzy grabbed his nearby phone and dialed a number. “They're in.”
 
I'm watching them now,” Tai's voice came through the receiver. “We both know Davis will make them go after Ken and TK if they're there, too. And when they do, I'll make my move.
 
“TK warned us not to get involved, remember?”
 
Some of us already are, Izzy, whether TK realizes it or not. However, what he'll soon learn is whose side I chose.
 
“And what about your sister?”
 
She made her choice, as did I. My trust is something she'll have to earn back.
 
Izzy suddenly heard a beeping noise and looked at his screen. A lone signal blip was coming from a sector not far from Davis and the others. “Looks like Ken's making himself known while he's destroying spires.” He then frowned. “And it looks like Davis and the others are heading for him.”
 
That's my cue,” was all Tai said before Izzy heard him hang up.
 
 
**************
 
 
It didn't take them long to come here, Ken thought as he and Stingmon turned to see Davis and the others approaching him. Davis and Kari were on Raidramon's back while Cody piggy-backed on Digmon since it was a short distance and Yolei was once more on Halsemon. TK, Matt, and the other Digimon were hiding amongst the spires that the duo had left alone. “Hello, everyone,” Ken said, trying to be friendly.
 
“Don't give us that crap,” Davis spat as he and the others dismounted. “Where's your buddy TM?”
 
Ken knew very well whom Davis had referred to, but he couldn't resist acting dumb. “TM? I don't recall knowing anyone by that moniker. Do you, Stingmon?”
 
The tall insectoid Digimon shrugged and scratched his head. “Nope. Doesn't ring any bells with me.”
 
Seeing Davis ready to blow his top, Kari decided to clarify for him. “He means TK.”
 
Watching her carefully, Ken crossed his arms. “You use his name as if you're still familiar with him. Didn't you call him a crybaby some time ago?”
 
“Is that where he is now,” Davis sneered, moving closer to Ken. “He's off somewhere balling his little eyes out?”
 
“You'd better watch it, Davis. One day, you'll push someone too far and they'll just push back even harder.” Ken recalled the time, just before he gave up being the Digimon Emperor, TK had stood up to him and they had a fist-fight. He had pushed TK back then, and reaped the bitter rewards of that.
 
“I have had enough of being lectured,” Davis stated as he threw a punch. His fist connected with Ken's cheek, sending him to the ground on his side. His friends and the Digimon gasped while Stingmon was quick to kneel beside his partner. “You and TC make my blood boil! I'll never forgive or accept either of you! Now get up so we can kick you and your new slave out of the Digital World for good.”
 
Stingmon glared at Davis. This wasn't part of the plan, but it would have to do. “You shouldn't have done that,” he said, though a bit louder than necessary.
 
“Ooo! What, are you gonna hit me, Jiminy Cricket?”
 
“No… HE is!” With that, Stingmon moved aside, taking Ken with him in his arms, as Pegasusmon flew up with TK riding him. Davis wasn't fast enough to avoid TK's foot ramming into his face, nor was Raidramon able to avoid Pegasusmon's Star Shower attack which struck him hard that he reverted back to Veemon. Everyone else was startled as Matt riding on Garurumon leapt out, followed by Andromon, Ogremon, Digitamamon, Gatomon and Leomon; all of them launching their attacks at them. Digmon found himself against Andromon and Ogremon; Halsemon dodged shots from Digitamamon and Leomon; and Kari stood still as Gatomon bared her claws at her, though she remained still before her with a look that told her she had not been forgiven for driving her partner away.
 
Cody, Yolei, and especially Kari couldn't believe what was happening; TK had set a trap for them. Despite this, they knew TK was somewhat right in doing so. Leomon and the others' attacks didn't; seem to be aimed right at them, but close enough to keep them away while TK had his showdown with Davis. The three didn't even try to fight back or, in Cody and Yolei's case, didn't even order their Digimon to return fire. They never even wanted to come after Ken today; but Davis made them do it. And now, thanks to their so-called leader, they were engaged in a battle they felt should never have happened.
 
“You should have listened to Ken,” TK said directly to Davis, who was now standing. “I was willing to leave it alone, but no! YOU had to push at me, and show me my place. Well congratulations…” He suddenly jumped off Pegasusmon, who reverted to Patamon, and held out his D-3. “You officially pissed me off!”
 
“PATAMON digivole to… ANGEMON!”
 
Veemon got to his feet and rushed over to TK. He took hold of his leg and bowed repeatedly. “TK, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to almost crush you with that spire! Or to get Patamon hurt-!”
 
“Okay, the gloves are off!” Davis whipped out his D-Terminal and brought up a picture of the Digi-Egg of Miracles. “This baby hasn't been used in a while, so it's high time it was used again! GOLDEN ARMOR ENERGIZE!”
 
Everyone froze where they were as a bright light emitted form Davis's Terminal and connected with Veemon. TK cursed mentally; he had forgotten all about the Digi-Egg of Miracles. This could ruin the plan for sure.
 
Suddenly, the light faded away to nothing, and Veemon remained as he was. Blinking, he looked at himself and then at Davis, who seemed to be banging his one fist on his D-terminal.
 
“What the heck,” he stated, “why didn't it work? Golden Armor Energize! Energize, dammit! Why won't you work?!”
 
“Davis,” Veemon said while running at his partner. “That power is supposed to protect others, not hurt them. It didn't open because you wanted it to hurt TK and the others.”
 
“You're damn right that's what I want, Veemon! Now armor up! Digi-Egg of Courage, DIGI-ARMOR ENEGRIZE!”
 
Veemon was helpless as a red beam connected with him and he digivolved into Flamedramon. “Where is the courage in this,” he muttered to himself before turning to face TK & Angemon. “Believe me, please; I don't want to fight-.”
 
“Neither did we,” Angemon said before raising his staff and rushing at his one-time ally. “But TK's right; you pushed us too far! ANGEL STAFF!”
 
Flamedramon used his Fire Rocket to protect himself, and the rest of TK's allies resumed battle. Stingmon, Garurumon, and their partners circled the area, never attempting to join in the fight, though matt really wished he could. However, this was what TK had wanted; to face Davis on his own.
 
Kari watched them stand off while Flamedramon and Angemon fought. She could tell from the look on Davis's face that he wanted to really kill TK, and she could feel TK's anger even though he had his back to her. Her friend was looking for a fight; he wasn't the same TK she knew. Was he trying to impress her now, or maybe he was tired of being the nice guy that everyone saw him to be? It scared her to see him like this, because deep down, a part of her knew she was to blame.
 
I have to stop this. I have to stop them before someone gets hurt, or worse! …But I can't move my legs at all. “Davis, stop this now!”
 
Kari had meant for him to stop fighting, she thought that he'd understand. However, Davis let out a snarl, like a wild animal, before he charged past Angemon and Flamedramon and headed for TK. He was going to stop the fighting, but by taking TK down.
 
“TK, LOOK OUT-!” Kari and Matt both cried aloud.
 
Davis threw a punch, but TK dodged at the last second, throwing him off guard. Before he knew it, he felt TK's fist ram into his abdomen, forcing the breath out of his lungs. Davis fell to his knees, his arms wrapping around his stomach as he gasped for air.
 
“Now I'm glad my dad made me take self-defense classes all those times I came to visit,” TK said, keeping his distance from the hunched-over Davis.
 
“Nice hit!”
 
All eyes were on Tai, who walked into view with Greymon behind him. Davis, who was getting his second wind, smiled. His previous anger at Tai was quickly forgotten. “I knew you'd come to the rescue, Tai! Now who's in trouble, T-?”
 
“Wrong as usual, Davis! I came here to join up with TK's team.”
 
TK, glaring at Tai, pointed a finger at his friend. “I told you to keep out of this, Tai!”
 
“And I'm telling you I don't care what you told me! I'm not going to sit back and watch things get out of hand. I've made up my mind, TK; I'm with you whether anybody here likes it or not! And Kari, if you continue to side with Davis, then you'll have to face me as well as TK!”
 
Tai's chest suddenly glowed orange, revealing his Crest of Courage, and a light came from his digivice on his belt. Both streaked out around him to connect to Greymon, who suddenly grew larger, with wings and a metal arm as well as a metal helmet.
 
“GREYMON digivolve to… METAL GREYMON!”
 
Everyone as stunned, but none more-so than Kari, TK and Matt. “Metal Greymon,” Matt stammered, “but… Tai's crest… how-?”
 
Tai smirked, crossing his arms. “Remember, Matt: our crests were always in our hearts, not in some tags. As for this… it takes great courage to stand up to your enemies, but as TK proved it takes even more to stand up to your friends. Also, since we're going to be dealing with that new enemy, I figure our crests will return to us all eventually. Now, Davis… you willing to take on eight Champion Digimon and one Ultimate Digimon?”
 
Davis turned to glare once more at TK. “You did this! You turned Tai against me-!”
 
“You did that yourself, Davis. And as I had said, I wanted him to stay out of this, but it seems I underestimated his friendship-.”
 
“He's NOT your friend! None of these guys are! They just pity you, like Kari did!”
 
White hot anger burned in TK, hotter than the day before when Davis had vowed to make his life miserable. “You're wrong! They're more of a friend than you or Kari ever could hope to be! They stuck by me even when I originally decided not to fight you, and they still stand here with me. I'm not going to listen to your garbage anymore, Davis, and I am through holding back just because Kari loves you! I will fight. I will move on with my life. I will make more and better friendships. I will love again!” These declarations, they were more to himself rather than to everyone present. Having his brother, Ken, Tai, and the other Digimon present had lifted his hopes.
 
Then, just like with Tai, TK's chest began to glow, but in a yellow light. On his chest appeared the Crest of Hope, which then shot out to Angemon along with a white light from TK's D-3, which changed from green to pure white. Angemon's form changed; he gained armor on his chest and one arm, his staff changed into a sword that fastened itself onto his wrist, his helmet changed and grew taller, and one set of his wings turned golden.
 
“ANGEMON, digivolce to… MAGNA-ANGEMON!”
 
Kari gasped at the sight of Patamon's Ultimate form. She hadn't seen Magna-Angemon since TK had protected her from Piedmon so long ago, near the end when all hope was nearly lost. Now, seeing TK's hope restored along with his crest, she inwardly felt relieved.
 
Davis stood there, dumbfounded at Angemon's newest form. It was like when TK had Patamon first digivolve into Angemon before him; TK was still holding back. Even Flamedramon was amazed at this.
 
“Your move, Davis,” was all TK said.
 
His rage returning, Davis took a step forward. However, Flamedramon grabbed him. “I don't want to fight,” he said to his partner, “so let's get out of here.”
 
Kari saw that Davis struggled to get past Flamedramon, knowing he wouldn't walk away. It was up to her to make him retreat. She looked down at Gatomon, an apologetic look in her eyes. “Please look after TK… for me.” Before Gatomon could say anything, Kari turned and started running. “Cody, Yolei, let's get out of here!”
 
“I'm with here,” Halsemon stated before he flew Yolei away. However, he swooped down low enough for Yolei to grab Kari and hoist her onto his back. Digmon took Cody onto his back and followed their friends.
 
Flamedramon made Davis look at their retreating friends. “See? They had enough, too! We can't take all these guys on by ourselves; let's go!”
 
Davis shot one last look of utter hatred at TK. “This is far from over, TK! I'll break you, just you wait!”
 
“Finally,” TK stated as Davis and Flamedramon ran after Kari and the others, “He gets my name right.” He suddenly felt a heavy pat on his back, and turned to see Ogremon with one of his big hands on his shoulder. Soon the others came to join him, congratulating him on the successful plan and for his standing up to Davis. There was a smile on his face; however, in his heart, he felt like crying.
 
It was an empty victory for him, because Kari was still with Davis. When he had said he would love again, what he really wanted to say was that he still hoped Kari would change her mind.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Closing notes: Well, I certainly went almost all out with this chapter. Sorry if this seems rushed, and sorry if the fight wasn't what any of you had been expecting. I remembered that while Tk is in basketball, he's not as athletic as Davis is, and if he tried to slug it out with Davis, things would have been too bloody. Perhaps I was trying to retain some of the character from the original TV series.
 
In a recent comment, someone pointed out that I've been leaving Cody and Yolei out of the spotlight. This is sad, but true; I mainly have this as TK & Kari's story, and I'm not really fond of Cody or Yolei. However, I know now that I should try harder to give them more dialogue and actions in my story.
 
Before anyone starts to hassle me about the original DD giving up their crests prior to 02, please remember that this is an ALTERNATE telling of the series. While I will use some of what happened originally in the show, there will be changes as my story progresses. Besides, I left a hint through Matt that it was believed that the original DD had lost their crests or something. Perhaps I'll explain that, but not now.
 
Read & review, please.