Dirty Pair Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Dirty Pair: Legacy
Part Two

“All right,” Kei said, the redhead meeting her boss’ eyes with a smoldering look, “what the hell is going on?”

Chief Garner flinched backwards a bit, the older man running a hand through his hair. In part because of another crisis he had returned to action with the WWWA, to his general regret. “To be honest with you,” he admitted, “I don’t know.”

“You’re kidding,” Yuri combined her glare with Kei’s, the purple haired woman sitting nearby in his office at the World Welfare Workers Association base.

“I’m as surprised as you are by your namesakes,” Garner sighed. There was a knock on the office door and he called, “Come in.” His assistant Rio pushed the door open, the busty blonde dressed in her usual tight skirt.

‘I can certainly see why he hired her,’ Kei thought wryly as she reluctantly backed away from the desk and flopped down in a chair.

“The initial medical reports are in,” Rio set the folder on the desk as she reported, “DNA only shows a partial match to our Lovely Angels.”

“By how much?” Garner asked as he flipped though the sheets, searching in a confused way for the data.

“About the same as parent to child,” Rio reported as she pointed out the correct page.

You could have heard a pin drop in the small office as everyone quickly processed the implications of that piece of information. “There’s no way,” Yuri finally said, her voice barely a whisper as she looked at him in surprise.

“Seriously?” Kei reached out and snatched at the document, skimming it with a frown. “But... according to the records we recovered they’ve been kept in cryosleep for decades,” she pointed out disbelievingly.

“I know, it doesn’t seem possible,” Garner nodded before adding a bit tiredly, “I think I’m getting a headache.”

Rio looked amused, “I could get you a pain reliever, sir?”

“Never mind that,” Yuri shook her head. “So, when do they plan on trying to awake our namesakes?” she asked.

Garner skimmed more of the files, “Possibly some time this afternoon, once they’re sure they can do so safely.”

“Makes sense.” Kei conceded, even though she was nearly burning with impatience to talk to the other Kei.

“All right,” Yuri got up from where she was sitting, “then Kei and I are going to go get some breakfast. Call us if anything comes up.”

“Will do,” Garner waved as both girls filed out.

Rio waited a moment for them to get away from the office then she quietly asked him, “What do you think, sir?”

“I don’t know,” Garner loosened his tie, “if there is something in the files on those two cryosleep cases, I can’t find it.”

“I think agent Touma still owes us a favor or two,” Rio offered thoughtfully, “should I give him a call?”

Garner nodded after a moment’s thought. “Do it,” he said firmly, “but make sure he knows that it’s all unofficial.”

Rio saluted as she left the office, “Yes sir.”

Meanwhile, Kei and Yuri entered the base’s cafeteria, both making a rush for the food. It had been a long few days, traveling from the remote outpost with the science teams back to base, watching over their unique finds on the way back home. This was almost their first chance to relax in a week, and the food they picked up smelled divine.
“You all right?” Yuri asked as they settled down at one of the tables with their meals.

“Dunno,” Kei admitted as she ate ravenously.

“Could you show a bit of class?” Yuri asked as Kei tore a bun with her teeth.

“Oh shut up,” Kei growled, still eating. “Do you think we’re really connected to those two?” she wondered.

“It’s... a very odd coincidence,” Yuri conceded as she ate her own food in a somewhat more dignified manner.

“More than that, if the DNA matches,” Kei said as she chugged down some juice. Wiping her mouth with the back of her hand she asked, “Do you think we’re some kind of clones?”

“My parents would be surprised to hear that,” Yuri noted.

Kei couldn’t really say anything to that. Ironically her own background left a certain amount of possibility for her being a clone, considering her time in the orphanage and her unknown parents. ‘But you’d have to be paranoid to assume a plot like that,’ she mused.

“Did you ever hear back from Alex?” Yuri tried to change the subject.

“That guy?” Kei looked amused. “Yeah, we dated a few times... but I think I won’t be calling him again,” she admitted.

“Why’s that?” Yuri asked, surprised.

Kei finished off her food, covering her mouth as she burped softly. “I dunno,” she admitted after a moment, “I think I’m getting tired of it all.”

“The chase isn’t as satisfying any more,” Yuri nodded knowledgeable.

“You too?” Kei asked.

Yuri nodded, “Now that we’re become fairly well known there’s a certain degree of... prestige in dating us.” She frowned as she fiddled with the last of her food, “I’d rather know that someone’s dating me for my beauty, rather than fame.”

“Not that your beauty is anything to write home about,” Kei teased.

Yuri sniffed, “Look who’s talking. At least my face doesn’t make people stop eating.”

“Hey!” Kei protested before seeing Yuri’s impish smile. “Very funny,” she growled.

Yuri casually flipped her hair back, “I thought so.”

“Bitch,” Kei muttered.

Yuri just looked amused, “I could be much harder on you, you know.”

Kei gave her a skeptical look, “Oh really?”

“Heard back from Leena lately?” Yuri winked.

“Point,” Kei winced.

They had encountered Leena while working on a case, the female florist catching the eye of a fellow agent. However to all their surprise Leena was far more interested in Kei, a situation Kei still felt uncomfortable with. She had never had a woman so forthrightly express a interest in her, and she still wasn’t sure how to react.

Yuri looked at her with a kind sort of humor, “I never saw you blush as much as you did when she kissed you.”

“Yuri,” Kei sighed, feeling herself blush a bit again.

Before Yuri could tease her any more, they heard their wrist communicators go off. “Yes?” Yuri asked as she pressed the switch.

“The science teams report they’re ready to try waking our guests,” Garner revealed, “you might want to get down to medlab one, just in case.”

“Yes sir,” Kei agreed before they both got up and hurried off.

To be continued....