Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Proposal ❯ The Proposal ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own DB/Z/GT, well not the rights to it. I do own a heck of a lot of the shows and toys and posters. I have to share them with my kids though. Since they both need a chair to reach the DVD player we end up watching what I want anyway.

 

The Proposal

By AMCM74

 

 

Yamcha leaned back and looked at the stars. Bulma hadn't been kidding when she told him Vegeta spent all this free time in the gravity room. His hand rubbing his eyes in a desperate effort to remain awake accompanied Yamcha's loud yawn. Yamcha reminded himself, for the hundredth time, why he was here about to enrage the Prince of Saiyans. It was a reckless gamble, which could get him an ass whooping he would remember for a lifetime. That was if he lived through it. One wrong move and he would find his very life in great peril, but if done correctly, it would be Yamcha who would have the last laugh.

 

He flashed back to his lunch with Bulma a few days ago. It wasn't a common occurrence anymore. Not that it was Bulma's fault. Taking care of Trunks, working at Capsule and just plan dealing with Vegeta could take a lot out of any normal person. Good thing for Bulma she wasn't just any plain Jane.

 

***

 

"So have you managed to get a date out of Vegeta for the wedding yet?" Yamcha set his soda down and reached over to grab the French fries.

 

Bulma snorted and tossed her head to the side. "Please, I couldn't even get him to come here and help me shop. You think I can rope him into some silly Earth ceremony? Yamcha, you should really know better then that by now!"

 

Yamcha sighed and looked at the bags scattered around his feet. This was something he had grown accustomed to. Shopping with Bulma had been one of the many tortures of his former life as her boyfriend. Now all she had to do was offer to buy him lunch and he had no trouble tagging along. "It's a shame. Trunks is getting older and will be asking questions eventually."

 

"I guess so." There was an uncommonly defeated note to Bulma's voice.

 

Yamcha looked up to see Bulma flicking her finger at the plastic lid of her cup. His heart sank into the pit of his stomach at the expression on her pretty face. So it was troubling her, and there was nothing she could do against the powers of a stubborn Saiyan Prince.

 

Maybe it was time to try a different avenue. Maybe it was time for a man's approach.

 

***

 

And that was why Yamcha now found himself standing in the dark outside the gentle humming gravity room.

 

It had been hours. Yamcha looked to his watch and groaned when he realized just how much time he had wasted here. Kami damn it! He had work in the morning to. "Curse you, Vegeta. Why do you always have to be such a stubborn son of a bitch?"

 

"What was that?"

 

The sound of low voice behind him caused tremors of fear to course up his back. Swinging around Yamcha stammered, "Oh. Hi Vegeta! How are you?"

 

"Tired and certainly not in the mood to put up with you. Come back when my woman is awake." Vegeta made to push past Yamcha, but was suddenly blocked. The brazen move made Vegeta lift his face. A look of part annoyance, part confusion blended on finely chiseled male features. "Are you drunk or just suicidal tonight?"

 

"Neither. I have actually…" Yamcha swallowed hard. A bead of sweat trailed over the side of his face. This was a fool's errand. Why exactly had he come here again? Shaking his head Yamcha regained his composure. He realized there was no backing out of his little charade now. Here goes, it was all or nothing. "I came here to ask if you have had any luck getting Bulma to marry you yet?"

 

"You have got to be kidding." Vegeta narrowed his eyes on the stupid warrior of Earth. "Why would I want to have anything to do with the foolish ceremony? I am a Saiyan. I have been all over the universe enough to know it means nothing to anyone other then the backwater people of this planet." This time Vegeta stepped cleanly around Yamcha and headed for the main house. "I don't intend to waste my time."

 

"That's to bad Vegeta." Yamcha chimed up in a mocking tone. "I didn't know things were that bad between you and Bulma."

 

Vegeta froze, "Excuse me?"

 

"Don't sweat it man. I have been in the same boat before Vegeta. Really. So I understand how you must feel." Yamcha turned his back to hide his wicked grin from Vegeta. He was careful with his words. "I asked Bulma to marry me over and over too, with little success. It took me years to get the picture that Bulma doesn't want to marry. No one is ever going to be skilled enough to get that woman to the alter." Yamcha strolled away. "Yes. I think it's best for you to just pretend to give up like you have…" Three… Two… One…

 

"What in the hell are you taking about?!" Vegeta's voice boomed. "If I asked the woman to marry me she would accept."

 

"Are you sure?" Yamcha feigned innocence.

 

"Positive."

 

"Good then it's a bet! If you win you get to marry Bulma. I will have to attend and see the better man succeed where I failed. But if you fail…"

 

"I will not fail!" Vegeta snapped back throwing his arm out to dismiss Yamcha. Turning on his heel he stormed to the house mumbling something about morons.

 

Yamcha crossed his arms over his chest and shrugged.

 

 

***

 

 

Vegeta awoke with a renewed sense of vigor. It was almost like the rush before a battle. Today he would ask Bulma to marry him and she would accept. Then he would seek out that rotten bastard and rub Yamcha's face in his victory. That was all there was to it.

 

It was going to be a good day.

 

Vegeta made his way down the stairs and headed for the kitchen. There was no time like the present to set the wheels in motion, but that could only come after he had his breakfast.

 

He could hear Bulma humming from the hall. She must already be in the kitchen feeding Trunks his breakfast.

 

Bulma leaned over Trunks wiping away the remnants of his breakfast from his upturned face. The morning light shining through the wind enveloping her with it's glow. She looked lovely in the morning light, like she always did. Although it could also be contributed to the time she spent getting ready for work each day. Vegeta watched her lift the toddler from his chair and set him on the ground.

 

"Bulma! I have decided that I want the Earth marriage ceremony to be preformed between us. I am demanding arrange it for me immediately." Vegeta crossed his arms and waited for her to turn those marvelous blue eyes toward him in shocked delight. Instead she didn't even flinch in acknowledgement.

 

Picking up the blue jacket from the counter Bulma slipped it onto Trunks' shoulders using gentle care. She then ushered him to the back door. Before she stepped through the portal herself Bulma shouted, "Vegeta! I am off to drop Trunks of at Day Care! I might be home for lunch if things stay as calm as they were yesterday."

 

Vegeta stood in numb horror. Where was his hug and adoring kisses? He watched the door swing shut behind her feeling his arms grow heavy and drop to his sides. Bulma had not even turned to look at him after his benevolent request. She had not bothered to answer him. It was a clear answer in itself. Could Yamcha really be right? Did Bulma really not desire to be married? Vegeta had been lead to believe that it was what all Earth women desired. How could it be then that when he had brought up the subject Bulma had turned and left him without even a glance?

 

He did not see the trouble. After all Bulma was already tied to him under Saiyan laws. Slow realization coursed through him. Could it be that she viewed their bond as he viewed this wedding ceremony? That she did not feel the ties or respect them as she would her own cultures? The possibility did exist that she didn't want to be tied to him throughout all eternity.

 

This wasn't a good day.

 

There were the repercussions of the bet he had made with Yamcha left to be considered. Vegeta made his way to the table and slumped down into one of the chairs. He had been so sure that Bulma would toss herself into his arms and cry with joy that he had not even allowed Yamcha to say what he wanted. What if Yamcha actually won this bet of theirs? Vegeta paled as he mused on what it could be Yamcha would request.

 

All of them were unappealing to the extreme. Yamcha could not win. It couldn't be. He had to try again.

 

Outside Bulma opened the car door and lifted Trunks into his seat. She carefully buckled him in and shut the door. Reaching up she pulled the earphones out of her ears and stretched her arms over her head. She opened the car door and slide behind the wheel. "Are you ready to go Trunks?"

 

The child ignored her and picked up one of his toys.

 

"I guess so."

 

***

 

 

Vegeta had not entered the gravity room all day. He had too much on his mind for that. This proposal thing with Bulma was driving him insane. How could she refuse him!? The sheer obscurity of it all boggled his mind. Was it that she found him somewhat lacking in some way? He looked at the mirror that hung in the hall. He never really worried over his appearance before. It was something he just took for granted. He let his eyes rove over his features for a moment. A sly smile came to his face as he basked in a moment of narcissism. Well, that was out of the question. He turned and from side to side becoming more assured.

 

This morning must have been a fluke. He would ask her again at lunch and demand an answer. Vegeta still felt a veil of confusion when he thought of her previous behavior. He knew that Bulma loved him. She had broached the subject before only indirectly.

 

Vegeta had made it clear that he wasn't overly interested in an Earthlings bonding ceremony. It was possible he had been slitting his own throat.

 

Vegeta flinched and looked back at the mirror. Idiot.

 

As if on cue, Bulma pushed open the front door and stopped cold. There stood Vegeta preening in the mirror before her like a teenage girl. "Vegeta? What are you doing? Shouldn't you be in the gravity room?" Titling her head thoughtfully to one side she took in his position to the mirror.

 

"I am not doing anything!" Vegeta snapped back clinching his fists to his sides. He felt some what embarrassed being caught fawning over his image in the mirror. Not that any of this was his fault. If Bulma had just answered him this morning when he had asked her to marry him this would not be happening. "I don't always have to stay cooped up in the gravity room. It's not my cage after all."

 

Bulma tossed her purse to the table in the entryway and shoved her hands into her hips at the accusing tone. "I never said it was, Mr. High and Mighty. It's just that is normally where you are when I return home from lunch. Excuse me for being curious why you have crawled out from you hole!"

 

"My… My…" Vegeta narrowed his eyes. "MY HOLE!?!" He watched Bulma arch one eyebrow at him as if she were daring him to deny it. "So this is the thanks I get for staying out here waiting on you!"

 

"You were waiting for me?" Bulma's arms dropped of her hips and her shoulders sagged a bit in confusion.

 

"I was going to ask you again if you would marry me, you nasty little shrew!" Vegeta lashed out.

 

"Marry you? Again?" Bulma's face went sheet white and she rushed to his side.

 

Vegeta opened his arms ready to accept the fawning waves of affection. Instead Bulma clasp his head in her hands. The large blue eyes roving over his face in concern. "Oh sweet Dende! You must have injured yourself training again." She tested the heat of his face. "You don't seem to be running a fever."

 

"Leave off, Woman!" Vegeta tried to shake her away from him, but Bulma refused to drop her hold on him.

 

"No, no. You're delusional! It must be a head injury." She pushed him down so she could look over his head, "There doesn't appear to be any lumps." The slender fingers working their way over his scalp as Vegeta struggled to rise under her tender inspection. "It could be something more severe. I am going to call a doctor."

 

Vegeta watched Bulma rushed from the room in a frantic haste as he lay on the floor. Ok, so it wasn't going exactly how he had envisioned it would.

 

 

***

 

 

Some hours later Vegeta had snarled and threatened his way out of the hospital room. Damn that Bulma! She had rushed him off to the Emergency room and then left him there with her mother. She had mentioned something about picking up Trunks from Daycare and rushed off. Vegeta walked down the street with his hands in his pockets contemplating what he was going to do about this new situation he was in. Bulma was obviously not going to fall at his feet and thank him for his proposal of marriage. That had become clear. Normally that would not have bothered him, but that left Yamcha wide open to win this little bet of theirs. If only he knew more about the Earth courtship customs. Vegeta was certain that if he had a little help, just a tad more guidance he would be fine. The problem was he had no one to turn to in his hour of need. Anyone of his supposed friends would rush straight to Bulma with the news that he was struggling with a way to ask her to marry him.

 

Vegeta looked up and the clouds seemed to part. Before him was the answer to all his troubles. A public library! They were sure to have the answers to his problems and no one was going to be falling over themselves to tell Bulma his secret. This was the perfect answer.

 

He entered the store and slipped passed any on lookers. He came to the first shelf and pulled out the first volume of text he saw. Reading the title he scowled, "How to fix a leaky pipe… No." he continued on this little hunt disposing of each book by tossing it behind him to the floor. "No. Damn it no. Hell No… Fucking no…" There had to be one there to help him.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

Vegeta looked up to see a woman stranding before him. She had dark hair and bright blue eyes, and at this moment they looked slightly annoyed. "Can I help you find something sir?"

 

"I need a book." Vegeta hesitated for a moment. He didn't relish telling a complete strange about his troubles.

 

She leaned over and retrieved one of the books from the floor and then locked eyes with him. "Well we have plenty." Then with ice in her voice added "On the floor. Perhaps I can help you find the right one for you."

 

"Fine."

 

"So what subject are you searching for?" She placed the book in her hand on the shelf and turned to him expectantly.

 

"I… well that is..." Vegeta stammered over his words.

 

The girl perked up and she almost glowed as a smiled spread over her face. "Ahh woman trouble. That explains it all." She turned from him with a quick twist. "This way."

 

The woman was most helpful on his little adventure. She even offered to help him check the book out. Vegeta had decided that it was safer not to take "The Fairer Sex" home with him. If any one were to catching him with that, he shuddered just thinking about it.

 

Step one was easy. Woo her with flowers. This was a definite winner. Bulma had grown flowers all spring in the front yard of the Capsule Compound. He entered the yard and looked at the bright colors. If Bulma had planted them it had to mean she liked them. There for he couldn't go wrong. Reaching down he ripped up handfuls of the fresh smelling plants roots and all. The more the better he smiled smugly to himself.

 

Vegeta sauntered into the house with a renewed sense of self-assurance. Trunks was on the floor playing with a truck. "Look son." Vegeta thrust the flowers toward the boy. Trunks looked up and studied the flowers in his father's hands. "Behold my victory is at hand. One look at these and your mother will finally accept my proposals."

 

Trunks rose to his feet carefully and teetered across the floor. The child's pudgy hands reaching out for the fragrant bouquet.

 

"No, no, no." Vegeta lifted it away. The jerking motions causing the mud to dislodge from the roots and splatter over the floors and walls. "This is for your mother and don't trying that crying crap. I don't care."

 

Vegeta lifted his head hearing Bulma's voice approaching.

 

"No, Mom, I wont be talked out of this. They are vandals!" Bulma's voice drifted through the window. "I am going to call the police about it."

 

"Now dear you know how kids can be. I am sure they didn't mean any harm." Bunni soothed.

 

"You don't know for sure it was a kids. I spent months working on that flower bed, and just when it began to look good someone just goes and pulls up all my hard work!"

 

Vegeta's eyes widened and he looked in horror at the flowers in his hand.

 

"It had to be children, dear. What self respecting adult doesn't know how to pick a flower with out pulling up the entire root system?" Bunni's voice was right by the doorway.

 

Vegeta wasted no time leaning over and forcing the flowers into Trunk's hands. The problem was the arrangement was to large for the toddler to get a good grip on his own. Bulma and Bunni came through the door to see Vegeta leaning over the child holding Trunks hands firmly locked in place.

 

"He did it!" Vegeta insisted. "I tried to stop him!"

 

***

 

"Candy she says." Vegeta growled. The girl at the library had actually laughed at his misfortune. If he didn't need the help to badly he might have blasted her away. The temptation had been so bad Vegeta had turned and left. He had been almost relived when the woman had said candy. Being a Saiyan one thing he knew about was food. Bulma's mother did all the shopping and Vegeta didn't know much about the grocery store. What he did know was that there was plenty of candy at the local convenience store. He had seen it when Bulma had him run in to pay for gas in the rain one day. He had cursed her for making him do it at the time. Thank Kami he had because it was making this task so much easier.

 

Walking inside he went right to the counter and eyed up the selection. He mused for a moment before grabbing the entire case of Hershey's with Almonds.

 

The cashier paused for a moment before ringing up the case for him. "Wow. You sure got a sweet tooth."

 

"They are for my woman. I seek to appease her anger."

 

The girl smiled suddenly much to Vegeta's dismay and nodded "Yea PMS is a bitch. I hope it works out for you."

 

Tucking the box under his arm he headed home in hopes of making it there before dinnertime. It was getting late and Vegeta realized he had not trained at all today. It was amazing. When he had awakened that morning Vegeta had thought it was going to be such a wonderful day. If he had known about this he would have sooner stayed in bed and avoided all the trouble.

 

Wanting to get it all over with Vegeta took to the skies. As he passed over Capsule he noticed Bulma out by the flowerbed. She was carefully placing a little garden gnome amongst the left over flowers.

 

"There that should help." She said to her self as she backed awake to assess her progress.

 

"I don't know. I think he is just about the ugliest thing I have ever seen."

 

Bulma gasped and turned around. She had not been expecting Vegeta to appear so shortly after balling him out over her precious flower. "Vegeta." Bulma noticed the box under his arm. "What is that? You now mom isn't going ot be happy with you eating candy before dinner."

 

"So I look like a child to you?" Vegeta snapped back and shoved the box into her arms. "This is for you."

 

Bulma was speechless. Vegeta had bought her candy to make up for ruining her flowerbed. Such action from Vegeta was not something she was accustomed to. The first thing she noticed was that it was Hershey's with Almonds. Twitching a bit she realized there was no way to tell him she was deathly allergic to almonds without hurting his feelings. It would be best just to play along and act happy.

 

"So are you going to eat one or what?" Vegeta watched her stare at the box.

 

"Oh. I will." She swallowed hard trying to think up a good excuse, "I want to eat my dinner first."

 

"Foolishness." Vegeta snatched the box away and opened one of the bars. "Here eat it. I have something I need to ask you."

 

"Ask me first." Bulma tried to keep the desperation from her voice as she pulled away.

 

Vegeta scowled at her. Bulma was clearly trying to avoid any contact with the candy. Her refusal of it reminding him of her refusal of him, damn that Yamcha. He could not be right about Bulma not wanting to marry him. Vegeta would not let him be right. He stuffed the bar against Bulma's mouth. "Just eat the damn thing already!"

 

Bulma ripped out of his arms and stepped back spitting. "What the HELL is wrong with you!" She shouted wiping her mouth. "I can't eat that damn candy bar. It will make me sick."

 

Vegeta stopped and dropped the bar to the ground. The dark eyes narrowed to slits. "Make you sick? What kind of a fool do you take me for?" It was more then his pride that had been injured in her refusal. It really hurt to think that Bulma didn't want him. That she didn't want to remain as his mate for all time.

 

"I don't take you for a fool." Bulma tossed back. "I am allergic."

 

Vegeta snorted and turned his back on her. "A fine excuse, but if you think this is over your dead wrong woman. I will not be denied!"

 

Vegeta flew off so fast the wind was streaming behind him. Bulma covered her eyes from the force of it. When things settled down she slowly dropped her arms and stared to they sky. "What the heck is he talking about?"

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"So you're having a little more trouble then most men. Don't worry I have a fool proof idea." The lovely Mediterranean blue eyes sparkled as the lady librarian sipped her coffee.

 

"Who are you calling a fool?!" Vegeta snapped back coming to his feet.

 

"Now, now it's just an expression." The librarian smiled brightly and waved her hand at Vegeta. She flipped through a book and showed him a picture of a couple cuddled together on a sunny tropical beach. "See. All you have to do is plan a romantic get away. While you're out replacing just pop the question. She will be so blow away that she can't refuse."

 

"This had better work." Vegeta slammed his hands down on the table and leaned in. "If it doesn't I wont be coming back for your help or advice. I will be coming back for your head. Got that."

 

"Umm." She laughed nervously, and looked to the table. "I really would like my head to stay on my shoulder's. So I am going to wish you the best of luck.

 

Vegeta left the room and the woman come slowly to her feet. Setting her shacking hands on the desk she shouted out a loud "YAAAMMMCCCHHHAAA!!"

 

The sound of crashing books accompanied Yamcha as he fell out from behind a bookcase. "What's wrong Carey? You're going fine!" He rushed to the girl's side and glanced around at the entire library staring at them.

 

"How did I let you talk me into helping him?"

 

"You said you could pair up any couple." Yamcha reminded her.

 

"I was wrong. He just threatened to kill me if this doesn't work, Yamcha. I don't doubt that he would either." She reached around and snatched his wallet.

 

"What are you doing?" Yamcha was slapped in the face as Carey let the brown leather go flying.

 

She waved his credit card in the air and declared. "I am going shopping. I need a new dress, an expensive pair of shoes, and a manicure. If I am going to die I want to look good."

 

Yamcha chased the girl from the room. "Oh come on, you cant do this to me."

 

"Yes I can."

 

 

***

 

 

 

Tropical Island get away. So this was it. Vegeta's last chance to get Bulma to agree to accept his proposal. He dropped out of the air and landed on the balcony. He could see Bulma standing in her room through the light of the curtains.

 

Shoving them open he shouted. "You have ten minutes. Then I am flying you out of here for a… Bunni?"

 

Bunni Briefs turned with Trunks in her arms. "Oh dear. I can't be going anywhere I have Trunks to baby-sit. Bulma is down stairs waiting on you dear."

 

"Waiting on me?" Vegeta stormed out of the room. This was not going as he hoped. Storming down the stairs he came to a halt. The room was dark but for the faint flickering of candles. Bulma rose to her feet and walked toward him in a dark blue velvet dress. Vegeta swallowed hard. She was stunning.

 

"After the day you have had I thought maybe a quiet dinner and some alone time would be in order." Bulma leaned against him while her fingers trailed along his chest.

 

Vegeta shuddered as little shivers chased their way up and down his spine. He looked at Bulma and contemplated tossing her over his shoulder and making his way to the bedroom. Regaining his composer Vegeta scooped her up into his arms. He held her against his chest like the precious cargo she was "Woman we are leaving."

 

"Leaving?" The blue orbs grew large as Vegeta made his way to the door each stride more purposeful then the next.

 

"Just shut up and hang on."

 

Sometime later:

 

The door to the Capsule compound was kicked open and Bulma stormed into the room. She had makeup trailing down her face and was soaked from head to toe.

 

Vegeta inched in behind her and closed the door. He was certain she was not done her tirade yet.

 

"Don't you ever, EVER, do that to me again!" Bulma shouted so loud the lights through out the city began to flick on.

 

Vegeta scowled "your impossible woman. I was trying for romance. Obvious that is not what you want."

 

"Not what I." Bulma was taken aback for a moment. She turned and pointed to the burned out candles and the cold meal she had prepared hours before. "This is romantic, not taking me out and trying to get me killed!" Looking down at her self she fumed. "This was my favorite dress. It was and original one of a kind. It can't be replaced!"

 

"It was a little rainy on the island." Vegeta snapped back "Get over it."

 

"It wasn't a little rainy! Don't you watch the news, you asshole?" Bulma threw back. "It was hurricane Carla and it's already killed countless people!"

 

Vegeta threw his hands up. "I give up." Turning his back on her he stomped to the stairs. "Yamcha was right. You don't want to marry anyone, especially me. I never stood a chance."

 

"Vegeta wait." Bulma stood silent and still in the middle of the room. "You were going to ask me to marry you?"

 

"I have been asking you all day and it's been the worst day of my life. Don't think I am going to be trying again."

 

"And Yamcha put you up to this." Bulma pushed her hair out of her face.

 

Vegeta whipped around and settled his darkest scowl on her. "The rotten conniving bastard sure did."

 

To Vegeta's utter horror Bulma burst out laughing.

 

***

 

Yamcha tugged at his tie. "Why do I have to be the best man?" He looked over at Vegeta standing next to him awaiting Bulma's grand entrance.

 

"Because I told you to that's why." Vegeta smirked. After what Yamcha had made him go through there was no way the desert bandit was going to get out of paying retribution. Bulma had refused to allow Vegeta to pound the insolence out of Yamcha. This had been the next best idea.

 

"You think you're the only one who suffered over this? That little Librarian of ours maxed out my credit cards because of you."

 

Vegeta glanced at the girl settled in one of the far pews. "Did she get that dress?"

 

Yamcha nodded. "It cost a damn fortune too." He looked ready to cry.

 

"At least she looks good."

 

Both men were silenced as the music rang through the air and the Saiyan Prince's bride made her way down the isle.

 

The end.