Fake Fan Fiction ❯ FAKE in Love: Act X; Set-ups and Power Plays ❯ Chapter 1

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Warnings and Disclaimers: This should be old news by now, but (surprise, surprise) I'm not Sanami Matoh, I'm not making any money off of this, and this is yaoi hentai.
Set right after the last act. Again, sur-fucking-prise…
Enjoy!
 
“Jesus Christ,” Dee moaned. “Why the fuck do we live here?”
New York City was in the grip of what could only be called a traumatizing heat wave. The sky was a thick shield of unbroken blue, the sun a blazing ball of death that traveled across the distant heavens, burning and striking on everything. There had already been thirteen deaths attributed specifically to the heat and the inferno had only lasted three days—so far. Even Ryo MacLean was complaining about being hot.
“Where else would you want to live?” he asked boredly as he loosened his tie a little and smacked Dee lightly on the arm. “Move, you're blocking the air conditioner.”
Dee snorted but scooted his chair over a little so that the rattling box in their small office window could breathe cold comfort over his brown haired partner. Ryo sighed in relief and pushed back sweat soaked strands of hair from his forehead. The heat was not the only thing dampening their moods. They had just spent most of the morning interviewing an apartment building full of people who had all suddenly developed amnesia. A robbery/homicide had taken place in the penthouse, and while seven of the residents had called the police the night it happened, in the eight hours that had passed, every one of them had forgotten why they had done it.
“Please tell me that you remembered to set the timer on the air conditioner at home,” Dee groaned.
“It's automatic, Dee,” Ryo said. “You only have to set it once. So long as the power--”
“Don't,” Dee hissed. “Don't even say it. That's the last thing we need right now.”
Ryo chuckled and turned to pick up the case file from his desk. The office was actually comfortably cool. The air conditioner may sound like a wheezing old man falling down a flight of stairs, but it was doing its job. Central air had not been part of the original plan for the small station that the 27th had taken over, but it had been retrofitted a few years ago. It ran, but was only a feeble blast in the small offices on the upper floors, hence the shaking window unit.
“This thing sounds like it's on its last legs,” Dee said softly, his voice strangely gentle as he peered at the heaving box.
Ryo glanced up in surprise, but Dee continued to stare sadly at the little air conditioner. The dark haired man finally sighed and spun around to his desk. He gave Ryo a quick grin and then his eyes dropped to the file his partner held.
“So what now?”
“We write up the witness statements and decide what to do next.”
“Alright, I'll dictate, you type. Witness number one, Ellen Flaggerty, she said `I didn't see shit.' Just copy and paste that for the rest of the apartments and we'll be done.”
Ryo scowled at him and flipped open his small notebook.
“I did get one piece of information,” he said. “Apparently our victim wasn't exactly an angel.”
“Oh?” Dee said, leaning forward with a little interest now.
“According to his downstairs neighbor,” Ryo said slowly. “He liked to play his music loud.”
“That bastard,” Dee said with a barely contained snort of laughter. “He deserved to die.”
“Damn straight,” Ryo said flatly.
They exchanged a look and both laughed as they shook their heads.
“We're going to hell,” Ryo said.
“It'll be a fun ride,” Dee answered as he lit a cigarette.
Ryo sighed and seriousness returned to their office.
“It's a possibility,” he said.
Dee nodded sadly. The heat made people crazy. Anything and everything could set them off. He leaned back in his chair and locked his hands behind his head for a moment as he thought.
“I didn't pick up any vibes from anyone I talked to,” he said.
“Me neither,” Ryo agreed. “Maybe we need to expand our search area.”
Dee groaned. “Don't drag me back out in that heat.”
“Don't whine, it's not attractive.”
Dee frowned and Ryo hid a smile behind the folder he held. He was lying. It was strangely adorable when Dee pouted like that. His lips pursed and his eyes narrowed a little. The dark hair seemed to slouch lower and obscure his sexy green gaze. Dee's whole body got into the act and pulled down into itself in a completely unconscious movement.
It was adorable.
“What do you want to do for dinner tonight?” Dee asked.
“It's not even lunch time yet,” Ryo said. “Don't think about leaving early, you know it's not going to happen.”
Dee laughed and took a long drag from his cigarette.
“I was thinking about that little Chinese place, I've got a hankering for some egg rolls.”
Ryo laughed and shook his head. Had Dee just used the word `hankering'?
“Yeah, sure. You buy, I'll fly?”
“Er, no, I'm actually a little short on cash right now,” Dee said, his voice a little sheepish. “A couple of old loans popped up. You pay and I'll pick it up.”
“Fair enough,” Ryo said.
 
Dee whistled quietly as he walked down the hall. They had made the right choice by giving up his place and moving into Ryo's. Ryo's building was newer and had built in air conditioning, it felt great on his poor over heated body. He grinned. Heated. Body. Glorious images of a heated Ryo danced through his head and a whole new fever raced through him. God, this weather was doing strange things to him. He chuckled and shook his head as he unlocked the door.
“Hey Sexy, I brought dinner.”
Ryo's face flashed at him from down the hall, a brilliant blush covering the dark scowl. Dee frowned in confusion and then Elena's voice reached him.
“Hi Dee!”
“Oops,” Dee said with a wide grin and then yelled back. “Hi Elena! What are you doing down in the city? How much money did it take to draw in such a hot shot photographer in a heat wave like this?”
“An obscene amount,” she said as he strolled into the living room, the Chinese food dropping unceremoniously onto the coffee table. “How are you doing Dee?”
“Fine, fine,” he answered as they hugged and he sat down in an empty chair. “How are things on your end?”
“About the same as always,” she said.
“So, fantastic?” Dee asked with a small smile.
“Absolutely,” she drawled. “I'm taking pictures at some hotshot concert downtown and I thought that I'd drop by and see my favorite nephew.”
She pinched Ryo's cheek and he rolled his eyes. Elena laughed and released him.
“He still blushes so dark,” she said as she shook her head.
“Aunt Elena,” Ryo said, the blush fanning out again.
“See,” she said. “Honestly Dee, I would have thought you would have drained that out of him by now.”
“Never,” Dee said and blew Ryo a kiss. “It's too cute.”
“I hate you both,” Ryo snapped.
“Liar,” Dee and Elena both answered and all three broke down into laughter.
Elena sighed and glanced at the clock.
“Unfortunately I have to get going or I'm going to miss tonight's sound check. God knows that the world would stop turning if people couldn't see the magic behind the scenes.”
“You love it and you know it,” Ryo said. “Have fun and stop by later if you want.”
“I'm actually meeting up with your uncle and we're going to hit all the after show parties,” she grinned. “We're going to party like there's no tomorrow.”
“That's the best way to do it,” Dee said. “Nice to see you.”
“Enjoy your dinner, and tell Bikky that I'll see him soon.”
“Thanks for stopping,” Ryo said as he walked Elena to the door and gave her a light goodbye kiss. “Love you much.”
“I love you too,” she answered. “Bye Dee!”
“Bye Elena,” came the muffled reply.
“Ah shit, he's already eating,” Ryo said and winked at Elena before he closed the door.
Dee glanced up almost guiltily as Ryo came back into the living room. He gave Ryo a quick smile and held out the open carton.
“Egg roll?”
Ryo laughed. He fished out an egg roll and sat down comfortably next to Dee. They started to unpack the food and Ryo shook his head.
“Do you think you bought enough?”
“Hey, the brat will be home any minute and you know how he eats. Hand me those egg rolls back.”
“Dee, come on, don't eat all of them.”
“I gave you one.”
“Well let me get another one.”
“No, these are mine.”
“Don't even start that.”
“I wanted them.”
“Goddammit.”
Ryo tackled him and a surprised yell escaped Dee as they clattered down onto the floor. Dee clung to the small carton and frantically tried to keep it upright as he struggled against Ryo.
“Hand it over!”
“No, stop, you're going to make me drop them!”
“Now!” Ryo yelled.
“Stop! Stop!” Dee laughed as he stretched his arm out, holding the egg rolls safely out of reach.
“Hand those over!” Ryo growled as he tried to keep his own laughter in check. “Don't make me use stronger methods!”
“Ooo, now I'm scared.”
“You rat bastard.”
Ryo stilled on top of him and leaned down to gently kiss Dee. Their lips brushed together and then pressed with careful exploring force. Ryo's tongue snaked lightly across Dee's lips, stroking and caressing into them until they parted slightly and Dee's tongue slid out to brush over Ryo's. Dee sighed with contentment and his hands moved to rest lightly against Ryo's back, the heat from the egg rolls seeping through Ryo's shirt. The kiss lasted a moment longer and then Ryo slowly sat up and smiled down at Dee.
“Thanks,” he said as he took the egg rolls from Dee's hand.
Dee blinked and then grinned.
“That's a fair trade.”
“Oh I see,” Ryo said with mock annoyance as he climbed back onto the couch. “A kiss from me is only worth a couple of egg rolls to you.”
“Now who's being a rat bastard?” Dee teased.
“Better use stronger methods,” Ryo said with a light smirk.
Dee chuckled as he stood up and swooped down for another long kiss, his hand now caressing across Ryo's neck. The heat, the case, the thousand other things that annoyed the crap out of Dee were suddenly gone from his mind. He felt Ryo relax into his touch and he knew that his partner was thinking the same thing.
He broke the kiss slowly and rested his forehead against Ryo's.
“I love you,” he said softly.
“I love you too,” Ryo answered.
Dee sat back down next to him and pulled out another of the cartons.
“What was in this one again?”
“You bought it, you should know.”
“It's brown and lumpy,” he said as he held the carton out for Ryo to look. “Is it chicken or beef?”
“That's sweet and sour chicken, Dee,” Ryo said.
“You know, that's what it smelled like, but I wanted to be sure.”
“Hey!” Bikky's voice ripped through the little apartment as the door flew open. “I'm home! I brought Carol over!”
The two moved with the usual grace of teenagers, their movements betraying the awkward growth that their bodies were starting to lead into. They shed as they walked, dropping bags and shoes and hats as they finally sprawled on the living room floor.
“Thank God you guys have air conditioning,” Carol said as she dramatically rested a hand against her forehead. “I thought I was going to die!”
“It's hot as hell outside,” Bikky said as he snagged some of the food. “And I mean that in the literal sense as in Dante's Inferno, tenth circle and all that, so don't even yell at me for swearing. It's too hot for that anyway.”
Ryo laughed and held out the egg rolls.
“I saved you guys a couple.”
“No thanks,” Carol said. “We actually just ate. Jesus Bikky, are you hungry again?”
“What?” Bikky said around a mouthful of noodles. “I'm a growing boy.”
“Careful you don't grow in the wrong direction, monkey boy,” Dee teased.
“I was going to say that you could have my egg rolls,” Bikky said. “But screw you now, I'm eating them myself.”
Dee scowled and Bikky took the carton from Ryo. He glanced down at them and then handed them to Dee.
“Never mind, I'm not that hungry.”
“Thanks Biks,” Dee said with a grin.
“Yeah, you're welcome perv.”
“So what's the plan for tonight?” Ryo asked.
“We're going to a movie,” Carol said. “It's air conditioned.”
“The girl's got common sense,” Dee said. “She's a keeper.”
“Can I get some extra cash for popcorn?” Bikky asked as he slurped up some beef and broccoli.
“Did you do your chores?” Ryo said.
“Umm, most of them?”
“Well, finish them up before you leave and I'll pay you.”
“Alright,” Bikky grumbled and pulled himself back up to his feet. “Give me fifteen minutes Carol.”
“How about I help and we finish in under ten?” she asked as she grabbed hold of his arm and followed him into the kitchen.
“Well I guess we're alone again,” Dee said with a sigh.
“Don't sound so excited,” Ryo said. “We should go out too.”
“It's too hot,” Dee complained.
“Then maybe we should stay in,” Ryo suggested coyly. “Of course, that could be pretty hot too.”
Dee glanced up and grinned as he spotted the dark blush fanning across Ryo's face.
“I like that kind of heat.”
“Oh?”
Suddenly Dee's grin faltered and Ryo frowned.
“What?”
“I'm waiting for it,” Dee said.
“For what?” Ryo asked with a puzzled look.
The phone rang.
“That,” Dee sighed dejectedly.
 
Ryo carefully cleaned the rifle before he broke it apart and packed it back in its case. He sighed and rubbed absently at his shoulder as he clicked the case closed. He and JJ had been called into a hostage situation, three armed men holed up in an old apartment with two civilians. Ryo sighed again and shook his head, his shoulder flinching with a little pain.
He slid the rifle back into the gun case, signing it in to the young girl who ran the weapons cage.
“Good work Detective,” she said and gave him a smile.
“Thanks Bev,” he answered. “See you tomorrow?”
“Nope, I'm off. Rick will be here to give you boys your toys.”
He laughed and headed out, still absently rubbing at his shoulder as he walked. Dammit all to hell.
 
Dee was reading when Ryo came into the living room, a large yawn escaping him.
“Hey,” Ryo said and leaned down for a quick kiss.
“Hey,” Dee answered. “How'd it go?”
“We got `em,” Ryo said. “It was close.”
Ryo headed into the bedroom and began to strip out of his shirt. He winced as he pulled it off, a large bruise flowering across his shoulder.
“Damn,” Dee breathed and Ryo jumped.
“Don't sneak up on me like that,” he said irritably.
“Sorry,” Dee said. “What happened?”
Ryo sighed and headed into the bathroom, brushing his teeth fast before he spoke again. His voice drifted out to Dee and he sat down on the bed as he listened.
“It turns out that our armed suspects had long distance rifles,” Ryo said tiredly.
Dee shook his head. Bastards.
“They marked our positions and started taking shots back at us. Nobody got hit, but there was quite a bit of scrambling going on. I feel down some stairs and landed in a puddle.”
“Jesus, Ryo.”
“I'm fine,” Ryo said. “We did get them. JJ hit one in the leg and I got another in the shoulder. The third guy gave up after that. They released all the hostages unharmed.”
Ryo was buttoning his pajama top as he came back into the bedroom, his face tired and almost haggard looking. Dee gave him a small smile.
“Come here.”
Ryo sat down next to him and Dee gently worked at the knot in Ryo's shoulder, his fingers carefully skating around the dark bruise.
“Did you hurt yourself anywhere else?” he murmured.
“No,” Ryo answered, his body relaxing into Dee's touch.
“We need to get some more sharpshooters,” Dee said quietly. “You guys get calls at all hours of the night. It's ridiculous. Lay down.”
They lay down on their sides, Ryo pressed close to Dee as the dark haired man continued to gently soothe his aching shoulder. His arm slid under Ryo and rested against his chest, holding Ryo as he lightly kissed his neck. Ryo murmured again, and remained still in Dee's arms.
“Ryo?” Dee whispered softly.
Silence answered him. Dee peered over at Ryo's face and smiled as he shook his head. Ryo had already fallen asleep. He sighed and lay his head back down, burying his face in Ryo's soft hair. He breathed him in and smiled with contentment.
“Figures,” he murmured and drifted off to sleep with Ryo held close.