Fan Fiction ❯ A War of Three Nations ❯ Chapter One: The Beginning of a Destiny ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This fic is the story version of my RPG, “A War of Three Nations”, hosted on the forums of Mediaminer. Some of the main characters that appear in this story belong to the people who originally played them; Preia and Fayria (Amaria/me), Rye and Zealous (Hellfire), Saleh (Alone4ever), Aceline, Allarayne, Cathayna and Zephyr (Snowy), Ishikawa, Touchi, Ka-Rosu and Nakamura (Shadowslave). Other, minor characters belong to either me, or one of these players as well. I suggest to people that you read the RPG version of this on Mediaminer, to see exactly how it played out and finally came to a closing.
 
Other than that, I hope you enjoy this story, and know that there will more then likely be a sequel, as well as some one-shots. I may even write a prequel, though there is already a one-shot type of prequel. Anyways, please enjoy the story.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A War of Three Nations
 
Chapter One: The Beginning of a Destiny
 
 
The forbidden Gates that sealed Malo away behind their dark stature rose high into the night, keeping those locked behind it at bay. The dark land that was Malo stood eerily quiet in the night, a scream piercing through its bleakness once every few minutes.

King Andreas sat upon his throne, if you could call it that, staring with distaste at the other demons gathered in the main hall. Crushing the bit of rock he held in his hand, the great demon stood.

"All of you out!" he roared, slamming his fist down on the arm of his throne, the demons scattering in fear of their king.

Once the only people left in the room were himself and a servant, Andreas lifted the small demon by the scruff of its neck and brought it close to his face.

"Call General Allarayne and tell her to come here. And call my advisers as well." dropping the demon, Andreas watched as it bowed quickly before rushing to the door. "Oh," the demon skidded to a halt when it heard the king speak, looking back at him fearfully, “and be quick about it." The demon squeaked before skittering out of the room, leaving Andreas to himself.

Standing, the demon king walked to one of his throne rooms windows, looking out at the Forbidden Gates. A sly grin spread across his thin lips, his fangs poking out over his lower lip as he thought of what the meeting would be about.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fayrie was alive with activity in the mid afternoon sun, children running about the streets while adults bustled to run their shops and tend to the needs of their families. The palace was no exception: The servants and butlers were rushing about in order to properly prepare it for the arrival of Gaia's king. Queen Fara had called a meeting to discuss the rumors of demons escaping Malo with both Rai's, and her advisers.

The Queen herself sat at the head of the discussion room, looking around at her advisers anxiously.

"Adviser Ronin, have you seen General Zephyr?" Ronin turned a calming smile upon his queen, patting her gently on the arm. The poor girl was being overwhelmed with all the talk of demons; he feared that it would be too much for the young queen.

"Do not worry Queen Fara, I'll find him for you." releasing her arm, Ronin strode out of the session room and down the long hallway of the elven castle. He pitied Fara. Her mother had left her a big job when she had just suddenly vanished. Why, the new queen was only two years older than his own daughter!
 
'And I have enough problems with Preia without having something happen to Fara. Best find Zephyr.' and with that thought in mind, the elven adviser continued his search for General Zephyr.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Here we are, your majesty."

"Thank you, coachman." Stepping out of his carriage, the young king of Gaia looked around at the unfamiliar setting. Fayrie was much alike Gaia, except in looks. 'Father would be so much better at this than me.' Rai didn't allow himself to dwell on these thoughts, and he instead turned to his general whom had been riding her horse along side his carriage.

"A fine day for discussing demons, don't you think Aceline?"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Preia! Oh dear goddess, where is that girl?" the servant's of the Louinia household couldn't resist snickering quietly as Lady Jemina stormed through the household, looking oddly disheveled. They all knew their lady well enough to know what it was that could hassle her so much; Preia.

Out in the area behind the house, where the servant's of the house would go to practice their skills, was the cause of the Lady's problems.

"Preia! Can't...whoa! Can't we stop for a bit…hey!" Barely managing to dodge his cousin's blade, Sibel glared at the younger elf. Preia grinned and slashed at him again, frowning when Sibel threw down his blade with a sigh and flopped down onto the grass.

Walking over, she poked him with her toe. "Oh come on, Sibel, you should be better at this than me."

"Keyword, should be." Grinning again, Preia grasped her cousin's hand with her own and helped him up.

"Goddess, Sibel, you're getting married in less then a month and yet you cannot beat your younger, female cousin with a sword?" Sibel simply glared at the younger elf, sitting on a nearby pile of hay.

"Why can't you spar with Saleh instead of me?" Preia tucked her sword back into its sheath, looking back at her cousin.

"Because I'm not sure where he is," she replied coyly.

"Preia!" Freezing at the sound of her mother's voice, Preia attempted to look as innocent as possible when Sibel gave her 'the look.'

"What'd you do now?"

"Nothing! I did-"

"Preia."

"...well....maybe I skipped etiquette class....and dining class....and embroidery..."

"Preia." Sibel shook his head at his cousin, not surprised.

"Preia!"

"Ohh, please cover for me Sibel? Mum'll kill me if she finds me now!"

Looking at Preia's puppy face, Sibel sighed. "Fine, get, go find Saleh and bug him or something."

Preia laughed and gave her cousin a hug before dashing to the gate and heading out into the village, heading towards the nearby field. Sibel sighed, watching her till she was out of sight. 'She's gonna get herself killed, one of these days.'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
"You dare defy the order of Allarayne Iradeus, general of Malo's army, you worthless, low-leveled scum?!" a woman roared, staring at the cowering demon in front of her. The she-demon stared at him scathingly, and raised her mighty sword Amallaetheus, and struck him, a black energy almost as dark as her hair appeared out of it, strangling the demon. She looked around the group of demons that had been with the man earlier, and were now shaking in fear as the Malo army's general rounded on them. "Does anyone else wish to die at the hand of the mighty Amallaetheus?!" Her voice sounded more like a bark rather than the gentle, soothing voice a woman would normally have.

A shaky voice beside her then said, "G--General Iradeus?"

She turned around, still shaking furiously, and then asked him quietly, "What is it?"

"K--King Andreas wishes your--"

"Alright," she answered, cutting him off abruptly. "I will be there shortly. Dismissed!"

"Y--Yes, General," the demon whispered, and scampered back to the castle.

Allarayne shifted into her favorite form when dealing with 'get-togethers' with the King: Alequintaine Tarwynnd, her predecessor. The wind shifted as 'Aleq' entered King Andreas' throne room. Her glance swooped around the landscape of the castle, smoothly taking in everything and everyone that was in there, and faced her king. Her voice was deeper now, and she held a different weapon. "My king," she said as she rose.
 
Andreas grinned at her from his throne.
 
"I am glad that you are here, General Alequintaine, as I have something important to discuss with you." Leaning forward, it was clear to the other demons in the room that Andreas was thrilled about something. "What would you say if I told you that I know how to get past the Forbidden Gates?"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Zephyr!"

A strong voice snapped Zephyr Alexxis, General of Fayrie, out of his reverie. He looked up to see Ronin, one of Queen Fara's most trusted advisors, and grinned. "Ronin," he said casually. "How do you fair?"

"Very well, thank you," Ronin answered, giving the general a swift bow in which Zephyr returned. "Queen Fara is asking for you, if I might tell you now."

Zephyr gave their setting a glance, a whimsical glance, before responding, "Of course, Ronin." He stood up, his armor clanking slightly as he did so, and his trusted sword, Alexavier, was swung proudly around his waist.

He and Ronin walked back to Queen Fara's throne room, and Zephyr gave his queen a low bow, "My queen."

His father (and his lieutenant), Matthias Alexxis, came through the doors of the throne room not long after Ronin and Zephyr did, and said, "My queen, King Rai of Gaia, and his general, Aceline Aaralyn, have arrived. Bellatrice and Bade have gone to escort them here, and should be entering the throne room in just a few moments."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Zephyr's mother, a lady of Fara's court, Bellatrice Maathine Alexxis, and his brother, Bade Alexxis, rushed out to the courtyard as soon as they'd received word that Gaia's king and general had arrived. Bade listened intently as he heard "A fine day for discussing demons, don't you think Aceline?"

Aceline Aaralyn turned to her king and responded in a polite yet sarcastic way, "Yes, a lovely day, isn't it, my lord?"

Bellatrice neared them, and curtsied elegantly. Bade gave a slight bow. "Welcome, King Rai of Gaia. Welcome, General Aceline Aaralyn of Gaia. Welcome to Fayrie."

"I take it you are here to escort us to the throne room then?" Aceline asked in a voice no higher than a whisper as she shifted under the weight of her armor, and of her bow and her quiver of arrows, Ulfah Ula and Zale, and faced Bellatrice.

Bellatrice nodded, "Yes we are."
Bade added, "If you'd like, my lord, General Aceline. Would you follow us?"

Bellatrice and Bade looked at the king and general intently. Aceline turned to her king and asked him, "My lord, shall we?"
 
"We shall, Aceline. We shouldn't keep the Queen waiting for longer then necessary." Nodding to his guards, Rai followed Bade and Bellatrice inside the castle and through an elegant corridor. The marble that the entire castle was made from glimmered in the sunlight, impressing the young King.

Entering the debate room, Rai strode to the awaiting elven queen and took her hand, kissing it as was customary.

"Queen Fara," he greeted, bowing with precision.

"I thank you for coming on such short notice, King Rai." Dipping into a quick curtsy, Fara led Rai over to the table, where they both took their seats at the head of the table, their generals on either side of them.

Ronin sighed, looking up at his queen and the young king of Gaia. Both were so young and new at this, he hoped that they would be able to do as good a job as their parents would have done. 'This is going to be a long day... I just hope that Preia is behaving.'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A single bead of sweat dripped down Saleh's forehead. Even though he lacked the weight of his decorative body armor, the sun bared down into his eyes, giving them a green-ish glow. His white overcoat adorned in gold trimmings which was buttoned up to the brim of his chest fluttered briefly in a small gust of wind. His beloved sword, Elona, hung loosely from his left hip and barely moved with Saleh's movements. In all, he stood atop a tall pillar of marble in one of the Fayrie castle's training grounds. Pillars, walls, and many other objects were scattered amongst the courtyard, specifically made to test and improve one's movement.

Saleh closed his eyes, tapping into the flow of wind around him. Opening his eyes again, he leapt from the pillar into a dive, quickly spinning into flip. On a lower horizontal wall, he pressed his feet to it and landed in a crouch, then exploded off of its diagonal surface in a gust of wind. As he vaulted himself through the air, he rotated upside down and planted his hands on another pillar. In another motion, he performed a handspring off of the pillar and vaulted into a twisting flip. As he gained more and more height, he landed on the same pillar he first started on. Taking a moment to catch his breath, he sat down and dangled his legs over the edge of the pillar, wiping the smaller beads of sweat from his forehead.
Having caught his breath, he leaned forward and slid off the pillar. Dropping about fifty feet, he flipped and rotated once. Just before he hit the ground, a swirl of wind rose from the ground, slowing Saleh's fall quite significantly, just enough actually for him to land without harm. Crossing many different gardens and clearings, he walked along the outer perimeter of the castle's main courtyard. Along the other side of the wide courtyard, Saleh caught a glimpse of Preia before she disappeared from his sight. He stopped a moment to think about her. Startled by a yawn in the middle of his thoughts, he simply laid down on the soft grass of the courtyard. Before he knew it, his gaze had shifted from the sun, and his eyes began to drift off into sleep...
 
Only noticing the commotion in the center of the courtyard through his ears, Saleh's eyes moved slowly, pricking his pointed ears slightly too. Sitting up, the first thing he noticed was the few minutes that had passed by during his nap. The second thing he noticed was the large gathering of people in the center of the courtyard.

Taking notice of the flags and decorations the party was clad in, he came to realize King Rai of Gaia was one of the men standing there. The other form took him a few extra seconds to identify. He soon depicted it to be General Aceline Aaralyn, one of Gaia's most renowned generals.

It took a moment to process their presences here in Fayrie. In an instant, he stood up and bolted across the courtyard, hardly noticeable to the group of men. In stride running to his room, he began to wonder just why the King of Gaia was here. He could've guessed it was obviously important, but it bugged him to not know what.

As soon as he got to his room, Saleh took a few moments to slip into his pearly white and gold decorative armor. Re-strapping his prized sword to his waist, he took leave of his room. Not knowing whether or not the group of men had departed to the throne room or not, Saleh headed in the predicted direction at a fast-paced walk through the castle's marble halls.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Rye blinked at the morning sunshine that fell on his face from the window by his bed. He sat up and placed his elbow on the windowsill, and held his chin with his hand.

"Another beautiful day..." he muttered quietly to himself.

It had been almost a month since Rye's sister and her husband moved out of their small cottage by the outskirts of Gaia. Rye felt a little betrayed that they had left him there to live alone, but he also knew that they needed to live their own life in the village that chased them out so long ago. The villagers were not approving of Rye's existence, nor the fact that his sister visited him every two days with supplies. The unwritten agreement was that Rye would stay away from the villages; and to their citizens meant, that he did not have to fear for his life the way he did when he was a child.

The truth of the matter was that the villagers were too nervous to attempt to take Rye's life, knowing that he was an adult with mature, demonic power. It was best to not stir trouble, for the safety of the citizens. Some wondered why the military decided to turn a blind-eye to the existence of a half-demon threat.

Rye stood up and pulled on some pants and a simple t-shirt before picking up a towel. It was about a fifteen minute walk to the closest waterfall at Gaia's edge, which made a very pleasant bath. He closed the front door behind him and headed through the woods that surrounded his cottage. Breathing in deeply the fresh, morning air, he smiled ever so slightly at the warmth of the sun that streamed through the trees' branches, onto his face.

Rye pulled his shirt over his head and dropped it onto a dry rock by the waterfall. He stepped into the cool water and sat on a rock, tilting his head back so that his face was the only part of his body that remained dry. As he closed his eyes, he let his mind slip into nothingness.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Running quickly down the streets of Fayrie, Preia exited the main area of the city and began the trek to the large field of grass just within the Fayrian borders, looking out over the nearby forest of Avalon. Sighing when she reached the field, Preia spun and flopped down on the grass, staring up at the perfect blue sky.
 
`I hate this,' she thought, closing her eyes briefly, `my parents treat me as though I'm still a little girl. I just want to be able to find my own path; not be forced into one.' The young elf longed to be able to travel to Gaia and see new sights, but her parents had forbid it. After what had happened to her sister, they just didn't want to chance anything happening to her. Her sister, Lillian, had been killed by a rogue demon that had managed to escape Malo; Preia had been only 9 at the time, and didn't remember much about her sister.
 
All she remembered was that Lillian had always been the favorite, and now continued to be even after her death.
 
Preia sighed, opening her eyes again. `But ...just once in my life I'd like to experience an adventure....I want to see a Unicorn and talk to a Naga, I want to train in Gaia and fight great battles against demons.' Allowing herself to laugh at the last thought, Preia gazed up at the sky.

"But who am I fooling?" Lifting her hand, Preia moved it in a swirling motion, a small ball of light and wind forming and floating just over it. “I'm the daughter of a Royal Adviser and a Noble Lady, and I'm expected to wed a man of noble elven heritage and bear children so that my family name can carry on. Magic and swordplay are not meant to be part of my life." Sighing once more, the blond elf let the ball dissipate into the air and let her arm flop down beside her. She hated it; hated more than anything that her parents were already planning out of life when she herself not yet knew what she wanted to do. One thing she knew she didn't want to do was marry someone she didn't love.
 
Sitting up, she brought her legs to her chest and set her head on her knees, gazing out at the forest of Avalon, so close beyond the border. `I wonder what my true destiny is…'
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A dark figure shrouded by a cloak and hood walked into a small town in Gaia and wandered through the market place looking through the food carts. The figure picked up an apple and dropped a silver shilling into the fruit cart before walking away.

The dark figure continued to walk until he suddenly tripped and fell in the dirt.

"I suggest you leave now. We don't like strangers in our town," a man said, standing over the dark figure. The figure slowly stood up and looked at the man before dropping his hood.

"Oh God! He's a demon!" the man yelled, running in the opposite direction. Suddenly, seven armed guards ran up and surrounded the figure.

"Leave demon! You are not welcome here," the captain of the guard ordered.

"I just wanted some food," the figure said, hiding his hands under his cloak.

"We don't sell food to demons, now leave."

"After I get something to eat," the demon replied.

"NOW!" the captain screamed, the guards preparing to attack; but the figure just shook his head.

"I just wanted some food, but now you have condemned this town," the figure said. He made a quick spin, and walked through a gap between two guards before all seven fell to the ground dead. The figure walked and dragged his sword behind him. The cut the sword made in the ground began to seep out a thick dark fluid that seemed to writhe with life.

The figure left the town before the darkness engulfed it and the town vanished in thin air.

"Gotta find Ishikawa and Ka-Rosu," the demon said, before walking away in silence.
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
And so ends the first chapter of A War of Three Nations; I still suggest you go back and read the original RPG, as I've changed some of the posts around to make it sound better. I hope you enjoyed this first chapter, and watch for more coming soon! I'll be updating fairly quickly. XD
 
Till next time,
 
Amariahellcat
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A little note from Snowy:
 
I'm glad that Amaria's finally gotten around to writing this. I'm also glad that I'll be beta-reading further chapters from here on out. I'd like to thank you, the readers, for reading the fic version of “A War of Three Nations.” It has been a pleasure, beta'ing this fic, as well as participating in the actual RPG itself. I hope that, in upcoming chapters, you will feel the excitement and thrill that we felt.
 
With my best wishes,
 
I remain,
Snowy