Fan Fiction ❯ A World Without You ❯ A Taste of Ice Cream ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A World Without You

Note: While writing this, I forgot Kairi fell from the sky, and not island-born. So just pretend she IS islandborn, instead of adopted,ok? So, as I just found out, this is an AU fic... ok?

Disclaimer: I do not own copyrights, etc. to any of the characters, settings and stuff in this story, I just own the story, their current personalities, this weird timeframe I made, and any characters I made up.

Chapter Two: A Taste of Ice Cream

POV: Kairi

I sat on the dock, waiting for Selphie. She was always understanding, and always gossipy. She was the one that had pulled me through the most, other than my family. While I was with her, I felt the sympathy nobody else could feel. We were swome of the ones hurt most by the loss of Sora and Riku.

Sora's father, Yasuke, had pined away. The only way he'd survived his depression was Lena, Sora's older sister. She was always with her father, always there. I admire Lena more than anyone else. If she hadn't been there...

Riku's parents had died half a year ago of pneumonia, together on the same day. His brother, Barukar, was left alone. At fourteen, a year younger than me, he's already living by himself. Sometimes I see him sitting on the beach, his azure hair blowing in the wind.

Barukar spent a lot of time on the little Paopu island, where Riku spent many of his daytime hours. I know I should be as brave as him, and be able to stand on my own, so to speak, because he's lost his whole family in one year and I haven't lost anyone but the boy I loved...Yet it hurts more than anything I've ever felt.

Instead of going hard, I've become weary. I no longer wait to hear his step, his voice... although others may think so. I don't know what I'll do... I wish I could hope, but I've lost that part of me... I don't believe Sora is alive.

Selphie is fine on the outside, exuberant as ever. She never lets anyone know how she feels whe she's alone, except for me. She's getting better, she still believes Riku will come back. I haven't told her where he is yet... I might never tell her. I can't think of what that would do to her... That shine in her eyes quenched.

That thought made me shiver. I would never tell her about what happened to Riku.

Tidus and Wakka have headed out, searching for new horizons. Me and Selphie are the only ones who hang around here, on this little isle, other than a few other kids. Most of them don't bother anymore, seeing as the best fighters of the island were gone. Me, Selphie, Barukar, another girl named Kyoko, a younger girl named Haruko and a boy our age named Takeru all hang out together, usually. Sometimes me'n Selphie just hang out alone. That's when we talk seriously.

"Hey, Kai... Your looking down. Hiya do anything this morning?" a voice came from behind me, startling me out of my misery-tinted thoughts.

I pulled my head by, lookng straight up at her. "Hey, Selph!" I greeted, in response to her surprise greeting. She was there, looking as energetic as ever, in her famous yellow dress, just lengthened to fit her.

"Guess who I brought? Haruko! Come on out!" she called behind her.

A shy girl, only 10, crept from behind the rock. Her short blond hair grew around her head, cut off at the shoulders. She liked to wear light greys and black headband. She was quite meek, and kept her eyes on the ground. Her voice was usually quiet, and she rarely talked.

I absolutely adored her. She was SOOOO cute, so much that I usually hugged her at sight. Which I proceeded to do.

"Kawaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiii!" I yelled, running to her and hugging her tightly.

"Kairi-oneesan, ohayou-gozaimasu..." Haruko almost whispered. She digged her head onto my chest, and wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Daijoubu-ka, Haruko-chan?" I asked, concerned. Normally she wouldn't be so... comfortable as to hug back. She was either getting used to me and building self-confidence, or in real need of comfort

"I'm just glad to see you, oneesan. You look good this morning. Selphie-oneesan wanted me to ask you if you wanted to go get some ice cream. Is that ok?" Haruko loked up into my face.

"Sure, Haru. And does Selphie oneesan have MONEY for ice cream?" I asked Selphie with a pointed emphasis, looking at her sharply. She KNEW I had no money.

"Of course I do, Kai. I just got paid!" Selphie said. Then I remembered about her job at the local tea house. Her payday was yesterday.

As we headed to the Ice Cream place, Takeru popped up. Takeru was my age, with messy blond hair and a big grin. He reminded me of Sora, except he had a bad streak. Once in a while, he totally changed, and did somethig really bad, like steal something, or threaten someone. His temper also rose during those times. He once beat a kid up worse than I'd ever seen, just because he said Haruko looked like a crab.

We were all protective of Haruko. Her parents had died a few years ago, and she lived with an elderly grandmother. Haruko was quite frail, and we were all afraid for her health. She was sick so often, and so seriously...

"Hey guys, can I come?" he asked, calling out. I replied over my over shoulder in the affirmative. Takeru was a longlasting reminder that there WERE some decent boys on the island. Too bad Barukar was busy training with Kyoko. It would have been fun to have the whole gang there.

We arrived at the Icecream place just as the sun was at it's peak. Which meant it fellt all the better to sit on the benches under the umbrella, waiting for Selphie to come with my strawberry icecream.

~~~

Hi! Sorry about the late update... thanks for the review WindMaster. I'm glad someone liked it. Sorry if someone read the first version of this story and didn't know the Japanese terms. As far as I know, they mean:

Kawaii: Cute, usually used to express unbelievable cuteness.

Onee-san: Big sister, also used for an older girl friend

Ohayou-gozaimasu: Good Morning

Daijoubu-ka: Basically "Are you okay?"

Sorry! See you next chapter!

Alden