Fan Fiction ❯ Acess Denied ❯ Acess Denied ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Leaning back in her blue computer chair, Sally propped her lithe legs up on her dull, blue computer station. With her keyboard in her lap, she contemplated the black background and green block text on her large screen. Computer codes screened past in a continuous wall of programming.
Access Denied.
Light from her screen lit the small storage bay, turned computer lab. Music quietly poured from the small speakers on either side of the main console of her computer station. Oldies from the 90's.
Her small, boxy ship was not the ideal mode of travel. Now it was at least a decade out of date.
With the ship separated into two parts, the cargo bay and the part which Sally inhabited. A small room with a night stand and a bed made her bathroom. The bathroom was the bare essentials. Weapons consisted of an ore ray, for mining asteroids, and two somewhat outdated laser guns. Two shield generators protected her ship, they were the newest pieces of technology and made up for her lack of maneuverability and attack power. Her ships' engines were more reliable than most new models, and thrummed along at warp speed. Propelling her through the nebulas which made up most of the baby galaxy, towards her destination.
Sally had been trying to dodge the security for the planet's governmental computer but it looked as those she'd have to land and get a direct link instead of working through a weak electronic pulse signal. Shutting down her computer's emitter, she spun her seat to face the door that was not more than three steps behind the workstation. Tapping a sequence of keys on the keypad next to the door awoke the ship's computer personality, Pal. A simulated yawn broke the silence from the intercom system and the music faded away. Sally stepped through the door before it even finished sliding to the side, an old habit from her younger years as a pilot of small warships. Getting to stations quickly was essential in those days.
On small terminal screens spaced throughout the one corridor of the ship, Hal's many different personas registered themselves into the automated computer database. Effectively imitating tired human faces, the many personalities mumbled "good morning" to Sally as she passed on her way to the undersized bridge.
On the monitor, which hung from the ceiling and to the left of the pilot's chair, the actual Pal awoke. A boy of about 19 with unruly, short cut, tawny blonde hair and active, blue eyes appeared in the dramatic fashion of compiling his image pixel by pixel and layer by layer in half a minute, much like the first time he was activated when the ship was new in 2019.

"Good morning." Hal tried to say, around a simulated yawn.
"Actually, it's midnight." Sally checked the clock which was set to CST, Common Space Time. Pal's image fuzzed a little and them came back into focus. He now looked like a 19 year old wired on caffeine.
"So, night time to normal people, right?"
"Ha ha, very funny. C'mon, it's not like we haven't worked later than this before." Sally seriously replied.
Pal sighed and reverted back to his regular appearance.
"Minnie, begin a continuous scan for energy signature irregularities, like cloaking and such."
"Okay!" piped the purple haired 20 year old who was one of Pal's sub-processors personified. The model for her personality was a girl from Sally's Space Station Economics class in high school.
Now, nearly 20 years later the processor's image had only changed after Sally's spurt of computer graphics designing. While her own blue hair had faded and become sparsely streaked with silver, with neither laugh lines nor frown lines running very deep on her ivory skin.
Settling into her chair she flipped the other subroutines onto the display with Pal. Eight, smaller, faces appeared on the screen with Pal as he lowered and angled the monitor towards Sally.
As the subroutines chattered back and forth like regular people, Sally did a check of all her controls. Making sure they were how she had left them. Warp Speed, helm locked onto the planet...
She continued across the board, unlocking each lever and switch as she went. Screens of information lit up like a high-tech rainbow as she went from left to right across the semi circle of controls.
"Sally," Minnie's usually hyper alto sounded concerned. "There's a large, cloaked, mining vessel right ahead of us. Two light-years and closing." Not bothering with a verbal response, Sally dropped them to half-warp.
"Not exactly useful to be cloaked when the gases you disturb clearly outline your ship." Was Sally's dry comment.
"Incoming distress call, it is coming from the mining ship." Came the voice of one of Pal's other components, David. He was a brown haired twenty year old with a scar on one cheek and a tought glint in his eye from his years when Sally ran stealth missions on top of working on warships.
Distress call..? Sally's brow furrowed in puzzlement as she listened to the audio.
A previously recorded computer message played fuzzily over the bridge's communication speakers.