Fan Fiction ❯ Finale ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I own two ticket stubs from RotK, one ticket stub from TTT, a poster of Legolas, a candy bar wrapper with a picture of Legolas on it, a pair of homemade paper elf ears which I am wearing as I type and refuse to take off (cuz elves rock), and this fanfiction. Needless and sadly to say, the rest will probably never be mine.

This was inspired after watching RotK the second time. The first time I was too busy hanging on everything that happened to get inspiration. Read and enjoy.

******************************************

Every Lord of the Rings fan in existence has been waiting for the opening day of the grand finale to our favorite epic trilogy.

And you'd be surprised at the number of those fans who flocked to the Senator Theatre, one of the most historic cinemas in America. (One of them being me.)

For fans who have read the books*, the experience is enjoyable, but not surprising. They are free to sit back and admire the special effects used in creating Shelob, or the ghost army. They can choose whether to politely ignore the rescue by the eagles, or whether to gripe about sticking to the legacy laid down by the great Tolkien. And for the females among them, they can swoon over everyone's favorite elf hottie, Legolas, aka Orlando Bloom.

But what for the group labeled 'others', the ones who have never bothered to settle down with the book versions of this thrilling saga**?

They, my friends, are launched head-on into a fantastic experience they'll never forget.

With every action, line, and new plot device of the story, these 'others' are kept quivering on the edge of their seat, their eyes glued to the screen as the final piece of possibly the greatest trilogy of all time is played out before them.

They feel pity as they discover the origin of Gollum. They giggle as the 'Aragorn' branch of the Fellowship arrive in Isengard. They wince as Pippin is belittled by Gandalf for his foolish use of the palantir. They feel a lump in their throats as Sam is sent away by Frodo.

Around every corner lies a new twist- and they eat it all up. Every discovery made, every path traveled- they are all there, along for the ride with the characters.

Because they cannot help themselves. They scorn Denethor. They mourn for Theoden. They approve of Eowyn's march into battle. Without knowledge, they are making a remarkable journey of their own.

And then comes the climax. The combined forces of Gondor and Rohan lure Sauron's gaze to the black gates. Sam and Frodo draw ever-so-close to Mount Doom.

The audience, consisting of the 'others', is bursting with anxiety. They bite their lips as Frodo and Sam weaken, overcome with exhaustion. They watch, relieved but nervous, as the hobbit duo struggles up the face of the mountain. They come upon a slight shock as Gollum appears once more, and Sam defeats him.

Finally, Frodo and Sam enter Mount Doom. Frodo makes his way to the edge. The lava surges below. Everyone holds their breath as Frodo extends his hand, grasping the ring. He only has to drop it, and Sauron will be destroyed.

The audience is on the verge of a spasm. They wait. They watch. They stare, transfixed, as Frodo says-

"No."

Silence.

Everyone's first reaction is- What the hell? Then the shock wears off and they all begin to rage.

You idiot! You did not leave your home, get stabbed, poisoned, and shot at, climb about a million feet straight up, get everyone in danger, walk a hundred billion miles, and almost die thirty thousand times just so you could stand in a volcano and say "No!" Now chuck that thing in and be done with it!

But no matter what they could say, their protests fall on deaf ears. They stare numbly along with Sam as Frodo rips off the chain and puts the ring on. And then-

Gollum strikes again.

He attacks Sam from behind and leaps onto Frodo. For a few moments you stare at the bizarre sight of Gollum suspended in midair, clawing wildly at nothing. He bites down savagely. There is a horrible crunching noise, and Frodo abruptly reappears, shrieking in pain. His hand is bloody. Gollum leaps around triumphantly.

The audience is stunned for one second. Then it hits them.

My God.

He has bitten off his finger.

And now Gollum has the ring.

The world seems to move in slow motion. Frodo stands and lunges at Gollum. They struggle for what seems ages, and then they both tumble into the yawning crevice of Mount Doom.

The audience watches breathlessly. Gollum is plummeting. The ring is clutched in his fingers. His face wears a mingled expression of triumph and despair. Then he hits the surface and is slowly pulled under.

The last thing to go is his right hand, with the ring lying in his palm. The magma swallows them both.

Utter quiet. You could hear mice gnawing at the dropped popcorn.

Gollum is gone.

And so is the ring.

It's over.

Time moves in a dream. Barad-Dur topples to the ground. The Great Eye writhes and fizzles. Sauron is defeated once again. The great quest that began so long ago, thirteen months ago to the day, is finally finished.

An unspoken wave of joy ripples through the audience. They have acknowledged the fact that they can die happy now, knowing that they have seen this day. They watch as Sam and Frodo collapse on the slab of rock outside the entrance to Mount Doom. They watch as Gandalf flies in to save them.

They watch, brimming with happiness, as the broken Fellowship is reunited at last. They watch as Aragorn is crowned king of Gondor, and he kisses his bride-to-be, Arwen. Fighting with their emotions, they cheer inside as what seems the entire population of Gondor bows to four little hobbits.

And why are they happy and tearful and sad all at once? Simple. They have journeyed with these characters. They have watched their victories and witnessed their sorrows. They have felt their joy and their pain. These watchers have been through Moria, Lothlorien, Fangorn, and Mordor. They have visited Rivendell and Isengard. They were there at Minas Tirith, Helms Deep, Weathertop. They have been through the whole epic adventure, right up from that fateful night in the Shire. They have traveled, battled, and celebrated side by side with the Fellowship, all while sitting in front of a screen.

So they feel and sympathize with and love these characters. From Frodo to Elrond and even Wormtongue and Saruman, these watchers care for each character and know all that they have been through. They have remained loyal, right to the end. And what a fitting end it was.

And then comes the moment. When Gandalf and Frodo depart on the last Elvish ship to the Undying lands. There are fond wishes, embraces, and most of all tears. And those watching will find themselves crying along with those four small, brave, lovable little hobbits, because anyone who truly understands and appreciates this heartfelt moment will cry. But they will hope for a strong, bright future as the screen fades and the credits roll.

They will hope, all those who truly believe.

******************************************

owari

*= my brother

**= me