Fan Fiction ❯ Forgotten Sorrow ❯ Bitter Ordeals ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

By Work in Progress. I mean that All chapters are rough drafts.

A lot of Credit to Skorie, she more then anyone pushed me to finally put my half of the story to text. Don't listen to her though, she's a remarkable writer whom I love dearly. This would never have been possible without her…
For a record, this is almost the same story. Though instead of focusing on Draco, its focuses on the male protagonist (sometimes an antagonistic jackass) Ultima. So I will try to keep the dialogue shared as similar as possible so that no one grows horribly confused. Enjoy!

Authors Note; If I slip up anywhere and say Soron; I am speaking of Solon. I forgot about the bad guy in LoTR and wrote his name instead. I am working on correcting this error on my part. Thank you.

Love you skorie, keep writing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chapter 1; Bitter Ordeal.

The two dark assassins quietly made there way down the hall of the warm home. The only sounds coming from spring crickets outside. The only light being that of the full moon, cast through the many windows of the home.

Slowly they approached the door at the end, easing it open so that the only sound was the movement of air. With stealth, they approached the two silent and sleeping forms on the bed. Each of the messengers taking a side and raising there blades high in an arc, poised to kill in silence. The first assassin brought down his blade, straight through the heart of his victim. The tender and loving mother, dreams of her child coming to an abrupt end as she breathed her last breath. A mistake had been made though, the descending blade had caught moonlight and now the Father had awoken with a shout, moving quickly to avoid death but not quickly enough. The second assassins blade silencing him with an icy efficiency. The two mates now lie still as clay, beside each other in death as they had been in life.

The assassins did not hesitate. They bolted from the room quick as a flash and now stood outside of the child's room, they were certain he had been awoken.

They were correct, the child now sat bolt upright in bed. His green eyes and hair reflected in the moonlight cast in by the single window. A crashing shout awakening him from his peaceful sleep, making him groggy. Suddenly he realized it wasn't a dream and jumped out of his bed. His first instinct was to see what was wrong, but then he sensed danger. He moved towards the window shuddering some and trying to open it.

Too slow, behind him his thick wooden door burst inward in a shower of splinters. He flinched and ducked from this, now staring at the two figures in his doorway. In the moonlight, he saw the black substance dripping from their blades. He recognized it immediately as blood and now stood petrified with fear below his window.

The two began their approach, wanting to make this as simply as possible and avoid further possibly fatal error.

A blinding flash made everything appear still for a few seconds, it pierced the window sending shards of glass inward at the attackers. This beam of focused energy vaporized the upper half of one attacker, and left a stump for an arm on the second. He dropped down screaming, clutching this stump as he bled from several other locations. Body pierced with glass.

"Ultima, run! Get out of that house NOW" came a commanding and aged voice from outside the new hole. The boy didn't hesitate at this command, scrambling through the destroy window pane and noticing a rather tall and thin framed man. A mane of long silvery hair flowing down his back, arms poised as if to deliver a second burst of magic. The boy ran towards him frantically, shouting his name aloud and causing houses not far to light up as the residents awoke to this noise. Some peeking out of their windows, curious as to what had disturbed their sleep. "Raxx! Raxx!" he continued to shout, finally reaching the aged figure who wasted no time at all in pulling the boy into his arms and disappearing into the thick growth of the forest.

Raxx ran for hours, his grip on Ultima not wavering even for an instant as they got further and further from the center, closer to the outer edge. Raxx suddenly stumbled, caught his balance and hit the branch of a tree. He stopped, dropping Ultima to his feet and now stood leaning against this tree panting. His stamina depleted as he spoke with raspy breath. His voice still sounding commanding "Run Ultima! Run as if the only gift you were ever given were strong legs and that's their only purpose! Do not stop for a moment, do not come back. You will not li-."

Ultima felt something hot splash across his face and land in his partially open mouth. The taste of blood registered and he looked up and caught the glimmer of a blade sticking through his friends throat, silencing him and bringing a slow and painful death. The owner of this blade glared down at the child, where his right arm should be, remained nothing but a stump. A large shard of glass jutted from his left eye. This was the surviving assassin. Ultima didn't have time to react, he was knocked across the head with a steel backed glove. His mind slipped into darkness and he dreamt not a single image. His peaceful life shattered, never to be pieced back together by any mortal means.

Ultima felt himself slowly awaken to nothing but darkness, he groaned softly and whimpered. His head pounded with a pain and he managed to reach his hand up to feel a slight scab just above his hairline. He took a deep breath and smelt something sour, suddenly realizing that he must have soiled himself in his sleep, he quickly tried to stand. A flash of pain filling his head and making him gasp. He realized he wasn't in his bed and was horrified. Thoughts raced through his mind as he struggled to gain enough strength to at least sit up. Still unaware as to where he was, images came to mind of great and painful violence. He watched a man get killed but his head hurt to much to concentrate on the image.

"Do not strain yourself my boy, otherwise you will only lie there longer then the three days already passed." came a soft but commanding voice from one of the impenetrably dark corners of the cell. Ultima froze and tried to crane his head to look in the direction. He could see nothing "Child, fear me not for I am weak and feeble and would not dream of hurting the innocent that are thrown into these hellish cells by that bastard of a tyrant. Relax yourself and gather strength before you stand. Otherwise you will simply fall over again"

Ultima felt calmed by the soothing nature of the voice, the confidence in it despite the circumstances. Ultima felt himself able to gather his wits some as he focused off of the pain in his head and slowly got to his feet. His legs feeling as if made of an oozing gelatin, he tilted some but was able to catch himself before falling.

He placed his hands on his head and looked at the darkness "Good, you did it faster then I expected you would. Now, come close, so that we can escape this dark place and be on our way. You may be the method I've been waiting for"

Once again, the boy felt his legs move almost for him to approach this voice. As he neared it he began to see the frail and thin figure stretched across the cot.

"SHUT UP IN THERE YOU WORTHLESS SACKS OF SHAT! OR YOU'LL LOSE YOU RATIONS FER THE MONTH! I'LL FEED YOU YOUR OWN WASTE YOU VERMIN!"

Ultima almost collapsed at this sudden noise from the other side of the cell door.

The sickly looking fellow could not help but chuckle softly at this reaction, smiling warmly towards his young companion. "Do not worry about the loud one, he's completely bark, the toothless bastard. We will not be here much longer anyway if you possess what I think you do. Come a little closer and take my hand."

Ultima nodded, listening to what was being told to him and then doing so, wishing to be away from this frightful and dreary place.

"Now, concentrate and just remain still. Otherwise, the runes around the room might take notice of our actions and alert a guard that's all bite and no bark." Once again, the boy nodded his head.

The two concentrated, this frail fellow slowly changing as he channeled his magic through Ultima. This feat not being picked up, by the runes that would normally have prevented any magical attempt by a prisoner within.

The man that seemed quite old slowly seemed to age in reverse, his winkled skin growing taught over freshly grown muscles. Skin becoming soft and fair as it had been years before.

The gray streaks that ran through his long tangled hair slowly melting back into their original color, the hair becoming glossy and soft to the touch.

He now resembled an agile fighter, adorned in dirty rags that had not yet been changed.

Ultima saw none of this though, his eyes shut tight with concentration as he quite suddenly felt radiant warmth encompassing him. Seeming to spread from the hand that held his now in a stronger healthier grip.

His headache faded away, slowly realizing he felt lighter then air. As if floating above the ground of the cell he was locked away in.

This went on until he felt as if his body had disappeared and that he was simply a mind, floating freely through the pockets and currents of air. He was forgetting his troubles when suddenly his weight returned. His bare feet standing in cool and moist night time grass. The air around him felt softer then the air that had been within his temporary prison, smelling fresh and easier to breath in. These new and rapid changes confusing his mind and making him blink his eyes open. Looking now up at an unfamiliar figure dressed in clean traveling clothes. It made him look down at himself, realizing with awe that he was no longer dirty. He was now wearing a set of matching clothes, though smaller in size to fit his younger form. These keeping him much warmer then his sleeping clothes could have.

Ultima returned his eyes to the tall figure, seeing better details in the moonlit night.

His hair was long and of a rare shade of bronze, most of it hidden within the hood of his cloak. That which was visible almost seemed to shimmer like real metal.

His eyes appeared to be a soft hue of blue, similar to sapphires.

He looked like a man that would lead people forward and never allow anything to appose him.

Ultima felt unperturbed and sheltered in the presence of this man, despite what had occurred only a few days before, which he only vaguely recalled. He finally found the courage to speak some "Why was I brought to that cell? What happened to me? Where are my par …parents"

"The time for questions and answers will come, but not right now. We are in direct danger and must be quick to distance ourselves from it. So let us take flight and head for Breston. I'm sure there are things you would like to collect from your home."

With that, Ultima's mysterious comrade began to shift in his form, right before his very eyes. Slowly growing larger and resembling that of a dragon, his clothing (blessed by a spell) melded into his skin as it slowly became scales of shimmering bronze that reflected the moonlight like a mirror.

Ultima soon followed suit, undergoing a similar metamorphosis that brought him into the form of a smaller emerald green dragon, his wings flapping experimentally as he watched the bronze dragon take off into the night sky and head east. It took him only a moment to take to the skies as well, pursuing his protector and gaining pace until he was at his side. The thought of his home village jarred his memory and he began to recall more details, though most of it was still hazy. He was just happy to know he would be safe and warm at home with his parents, the full affect of the bronze ones words.

It felt like hours before Ultima saw the familiar forest. To the west behind them the sun was rising. Casting long shadows from the trees and bushes that dotted the ground far below. He felt his heart skip a beat though, something was amiss. Far still in the distance, he saw thin trails of smoke sailing into the sky. Smoke that looked far too wispy to be rising from a chimney or small fire. A breeze came from east, hitting the pair head on and bringing with it the scent of heavily scorched wood and flesh.

Ultima's heart sank in his chest and he seemed to fly faster now, passing his comrade and diving towards the center of the woods. Towards the place he had called home for the seven years of his life, the home that was now nothing but torched buildings and scattered bodies. Broken pieces of glass and furniture spread out between it all, littering the ground.

He landed only a few yards from the remains of his house, the roof sunken in over the door. He was human again in only a matter of seconds, the scent of charred remains forgotten as he now ran towards his house, his still undeveloped and childish muscles carrying him as quickly as they could. He made his way through a large hole in the wall, ending up in the small sitting room where he and his parents had often had their meals.

He didn't stop, he headed straight for his parents room without a moment of hesitation, heading for the room that his parents slept in. The door lay in the hall, torn from hinges. Everything was black or gray, seeming to suck the colors from Ultima's appearance, leaving him monotone with everything else, but still clashing. He finally pushed himself into the room and froze, his face turning into once of shock, his hopes dashed. Within the metal frame of his parents mattress was a pair of charred skeletal remains, nearly intact and lying directly beside each other.

Ultima felt his emotions shatter inside him, and suddenly felt terribly cold. His entire perspective of the world was no longer intact. He felt a shiver travel up his spine as he approached the bedside, sifting through the ashes at the floor, looking for some artifact of his recent past. He found it, a rather ornately carved blade that was sheathed. As he stood he tied it securely to his belt and closed his eyes tightly, walking from the room without a sound, a single tear falling to mix with the ashes that he tracked through with his boots. He slowly entered his room, a rush of memories flooding him and almost throwing him to the ground as a second shudder ripped through his body in a lightning arc. He looked at a small metal nail sticking from a portion where the wall was still mostly intact, he noticed it was empty and felt his heart skip again. Relief only coming after he found what he was looking for on the floor beneath it, an equally ornately carved pendent. It seemed to be sealed and in the shape of a semi-circle. He whispered a few words hoarsely and the pendent became a locket, opening up and revealing a small image of his family within it.

He snapped it shut as tears sprang to his eyes, it once again appearing as if there were no seals anywhere on its surface.

He clasped it around his neck and made his way from this room, exiting the painful memories through the hole he had climbed in. His now only friend was standing outside, a look of concern and sympathy upon his face. . . Ultima could not find words and so just lowered his eyes.

"Ultima, I can understand a lot of your sorrow. I also know that it's a burden that I wish you didn't have to bear. My name is Enton, I am a sorcerer and was once a powerful general in the war against Solon. He coerced me into surrendering to him on a few conditions. The safety of my men being one of them, the other being a subject I don't care to discuss.

"The reason you were taken so forcefully is that you're part of a prediction I gave him. You may very well bring about his downfall if you live long enough to do so. That is why I am making it my new duty to protect you, where I could not protect the lives of my men. The very ones that Solon slaughtered soon after my capture

"I know you'll find some form of strength Ultima, but we need to go soon. Solon fears you and wants you dead. He will not wait long in his hunt, so let us take flight once again. There is a sanctuary within a magical forest to the east still further. We will be safe there, at least for a few days, possibly weeks. We must use all available time though. I will not let harm befall you. . . Let us go.

Ultima nodded wearily and took the shape of a dragon once more, seeming sick even in that form as his insides were being torn apart by the events, overwhelming shock, and end of innocence in only a few moments of remembrance.

He had listened to each word carefully. Detaching himself from the pain in order to make it bearable. His emotions now swirling without a form of control.

With a final glance back at his home he took flight after Enton, who was already soaring high above and waiting for him.

With that, they headed eastward, away from the rising sun. Ultima would have cried all the way, but his heart was filled with rage and hatred now. Hatred, for the one that had done this to him, hatred for a man he'd never met, but who was responsible for bringing about the end of his tranquility. His mind was being clouded with thoughts, malicious murderous thoughts. No matter what occurred, Ultima doubted he would be the child he used to be.

Several hours later after night fell. The two of them landed. This time near a forest that was strange and unusual to Ultima. With Enton's command he became human again and looked into these woods. They seemed to possess a welcoming aura and at the same time an overpowering force. He looked at Enton curiously, and got a warm smile in return "We shall go on foot now Ultima, deep within this forest is a sanctuary where you and I shall be safe from harm for some time at least. As I have said. Perhaps I can give you a little bit of training in draconic magic, or perhaps fighting. Either way, we must not leave this forest for any reason. Solon is after us already and trails us like hounds... I know you desire to see the man fall, but you are not ready to take on that challenge... You're still just a child." Ultima didn't want this to be true, but he accepted it. His mind clearing for the first time in hours allowing rational thought to surface. He was only 7, but already possessed great intelligence and ability to reason. A military mind one could say.

He began walking before Enton gave the command this time. Stopping at the edge of the forest and waiting for the elder to lead the way. His mind wandered constantly and occasionally a silent tear would drift off of his cheek. . . As they walked, Entons head high, Ultima's hanging. Only ominous sounds surrounded them. Despite the darkness, Enton seemed to walk the path as if he'd done it thousands upon thousands of times without sight. Ultima didn't notice, he simply followed in the footsteps.

Enton finally stopped. They now stood before a rather large and girth some tree. Enton placed his hand on it and slowly a bit of the bark cracked into a shape of an entry way. Slowly moving inward and then away, allowing them Entry. This was the first thing that made Ultima curious, he was not used to seeing magic of this kind. He examined it after Enton had gone inside and suddenly jumped in when it suddenly slid shut. The bark sealing and seeming to be nothing but an ordinary tree once again. Enton grinned slightly, a playful spark in his eye "I'll be glad to teach you many more tricks then that... Let us sleep, the beds are far below the earth. We are finally safe now my child... No fears." With that, Enton began to head down along a spiral of stairs, followed by Ultima, who was finally feeling more comfortable. Still anything `but' talkative. . . .

Enton and young Ultima stayed within' the safety of this tree for many weeks. Enton taught Ultima many things about the history of magic, but not how to weave and make it take shape. He also told Ultima more on the subject of the war and how Soron had come to be in power, which Ultima hated learning about because it constantly reminded him of his misery, finally though, they needed to get out of the tree to collect necessary supplies.

Enton also wished to teach Ultima a few defensive tactics and spells to help keep him safe from attackers other then Solon.

He placed his palm to the secret entryway, turning to look down at the boy, an odd twinkle in his eye. "He's come a long way since that day, in such a short time." Enton thought to himself. Ultima waiting for the door to open and allow them to see the forest he hadn't seen in such a long time. "I can't bear to think of how he looked that day outside of his old home. He makes me wish I had my daughter back, she thinks I hated her." Outside, the bark split audibly from within. "I may not live to see him save us all, but at least I can keep him secure for as long as possible and not allow that bastard Solon to get his hands on him." The small inner chamber began to fill with soft sunlight that broke through the forest canopy. Outside the sounds of birds drifted inward.

He sighed and spoke to Ultima now, smiling brightly "Today my boy, I am going to teach you a few spells of defense and offense." The door continued to open, almost halfway now. "Both I want you only to use when you feel you're in dang-" suddenly a crimson beam of magical energy whistled through the air and sliced through Enton's right shoulder, sending a spray of blood against the inner bark of the tree. He let out a scream and fall backwards, the entryway slamming shut and blocking Ultima from seeing the attacker, which was for the best of his safety.

"Who was that? What happened? Enton! Enton! Are you alright? Is that Solo-" Enton grabbed the boys shoulder with his left arm and gritted his teeth, grimacing in pain "Yes, Yes! I'm fine!" a slight bit of perspiration forming on his forehead "That's Solon al-alright. Ultima, We don't have time. He's going to get within here in no time at all."

"but!" "No Ultima, no buts. I have to protect you and the only way to do that now is to send you far away. Not even within the reach of this world, that is the last of my magic I have. Do you understand??"

The boy didn't, his childish naiveté showing through. He reached a hand for the hilt of the blade he had retrieved from his home and Enton growled, a mixture of pain and frustration "Dammit, you're smarter then that Ultima! He'll kill you with ease if you think you can take him now. Just remain still, you won't remember any of this. I promise. I'm going to take your memory away…" Suddenly the boy had a look of terror in his eyes, not wanting that. Enton didn't hesitate though. He began to send gentle waves of Magic through the palm on Ultima's shoulder. Speaking only moments before the spell would take effect "Ultima, my one request is that you tell my daughter I'm sorry, and that I do love her… You'll find your memory again some day." Enton started to chant, saying words that the child could not grasp. Around him was the sound of explosions, as the attacker assaulted the tree from outside.

The next thing he felt was a sensation of warmth traveling around his mind and brain. It made his eye lids flutter.

Ultima was now staring into the compassionate soft blue eyes of a man with a wounded shoulder, his long bronze hair thrown about in disarray. Tears streaked down the mans face slowly. The door began to give, but he paid no attention to it. Bafflement filling his mind. He soon felt a sensation of encompassing warmth enveloping his mind and body, feeling oddly familiar. Seconds later a sense of euphoria entered him and he was no longer there. His mind floating like the air through the pockets and currents in the atmosphere.

Enton was alone now, hand holding nothing but the memory of the child he had saved.

"You're going to live Ultima. To free us all" he whispered gently to himself, just as the final blast shattered the door inward in chunks of charred bark, some landing in his wound and making it sear worse then before.

Slowly a silhouette came forward through the blinding sunlight from outside, it was a tall man and his hair fluttered with a wind that seemed to be whipping through the forest at unnatural speeds.

"Ah. So we finally meet after your daring escape, my dearest teacher." came the words from a voice that was soft as silk, but at the same time possessing a quality that would make one obey immediately if loyal

Enton slowly raised himself up with his still good arm, looking up as the man stepped forward and details became visible. His hair, jet black. The only dragon to be born with that colored hair in over seven centuries. He looked down at the pitiful form of the injured sorcerer and smirked "You look surprised to see me, are you feeling well?"

Enton grimaced some, but managed to speak, a flair of sarcasm and wit in his voice "Why, isn't the an idiotic question my pupil, I thought you had more intelligence then tha" a second beam of magical crimson pierced his good arm and he let out another scream, collapsing onto the dusty floor and wincing, both arms lying immobile at his sides.

His forehead beading up with more sweat, which began to run down some.

"You my friend, are the idiot. You think that sending the boy out of my grasp for now will stop me from killing him later. Once I have won this pitiful war with the incompetent fools that wish to defy me, I will allow my son to rebuild and track that damned boy to his death!" Solon grinned sardonically down at the injured man of bronze.

Enton returned it with a smile on his own, body quaking with the strain of holding back his pain. Solon only found this more ammusing, kneeling on one knee over him.

"I always knew you'd defy me, and now what do you have to show for it? An insane smile, A fulfilled heart with the knowledge that you save 'one' life? Think of the thousands dead or forsaken because of your foolish desire to stop me. Your own daughter..."

Enton didn't waver, his smile remaining sincere; he spoke feebly now, suffering from heavy blood loss. "All talk, useless and petty. I would have hoped that you would know me well enough to say something different. This is the last time you'll have to speak with " He coughed one last time, as his eyes went wide. A third and final beam of crimson energy piercing his chest and heart, killing him.

"All talk and no one listening. Glad to see you die with a smile upon your face Enton…It would have broken my heart to see you unhappy" With those words, Solon turned and left quietly, his jet black hair drifting with the gentle breeze. Enton was left dead in the hideaway, the only sounds being that of the spring time birds. The smile he wore never leaving his face, even in death.