Fan Fiction ❯ Ignotum per Ignotius ❯ Chasing chaos ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Ignotum per Ignotius
(A thing unknown by a thing more unknown)
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---

A fanfic by AmethystGleam

Disclaimer: I don’t own Xenosaga or its characters.

Author’s Rant: Do heed the shounen-ai and spoiler warnings from the 1st chapter. This is still the same fic. Rules still apply.

Please enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------------- -

Chapter 2: Chasing chaos

It’s been several months since I looked unto the U.M.N. database for information on chaos, and after coming to terms with the fact that his comrades would never question his abilities, I decided to take matters into my own hands, observing chaos on my own, whenever I had the chance.

At first, I had come to seemingly ignore his presence, but that process soon became difficult. chaos began to come and talk with me a little, every time he was on the bridge. I’d often tell him to stop worrying and go do whatever it was that he was supposed to be doing at the time, and he would shoot me one of his blind, false smiles; a smile that I couldn’t help but notice looked constantly disturbed. Irregardless, just as it had been 14 years ago, he seemed to accept my words and calm down a little.

Despite my discreet surveillance, chaos still disappeared on occasion, and the chance to gain information about him slipped through my fingers time and time again. At one point, I came to wonder if chaos, himself, even knew who and what he is. Nevertheless, my search for data turned over in vain each time I tried, and just as I had begun to reflect on why I was so curious about this young man in the first place, when such levels of concern and discomfort this high, should’ve been, in all due logic, suppressed by my emotional inhibitor drive; I was distracted by a particularly fascinating situation.

It had been to my understanding that the U.R.T.V. unit, designation Rubedo, had gone off to fight U.R.T.V. unit, designation Albedo, and the corresponding U-DO variation. The former of the U.R.T.V.’s had run off in the E.S. Asher, and no more than an hour later, returned in chaos’s company. After an extreme ‘welcome back’ for the smaller of the two, chaos gave his same fake smile and descended down the elevator. I had been resting there at the bottom, leaning against the wall, as he turned that same smile on me, before heading off towards the residential area on his own. Suspicious, I followed him, staying back, but still close enough to track his winding movements from hallway to hallway, until he finally paused at an empty corridor.

3 seconds later, I peered around the corner, into that corridor, and found it bare. The only exits from the corridor had been to backtrack to where I now stood, or to go through the door at the end of the hall, which was firmly shut. Had he used the door, I would have heard it open, and seen it close, but the amount of seconds that correlate between his disappearance and the doors timing signaled a 0.0002% chance of my former navigator being able to use the door without me noticing. Thus, chaos had vanished, and inexplicably so.

Having failed my mission yet again, I headed for the park area of the Durandal, in search of a quiet place to resume deliberation of my earlier thoughts. A bit of frustration slipped through my suppressor, and I glared at no one in particular.

Again left to ponder the possibility of malfunction in my emotional suppressant, my thoughts were soon interrupted by a sudden and violent wave that shook the ship. I watched, impassively, through the park’s window, as an immense structure appeared, larger than anything I’d ever seen before. My eyes were glued to the immense mass as it took the Zohar from Old Miltia into itself, and before I could make any sense of the thing’s action, I spotted a familiar platinum-haired young man, hovering just outside the window.
It was clear from his position and decent, that he had been standing on top of the ship, and had just dropped, his back to the window. Alarm overcame me, and I barely had time to curse my obviously over-malfunctioning emotional suppressant,” chaos!”

My systems snapped back to normal, suddenly, upon the realization that even if there wasn’t so much glass between me and the outside, the lack of air in space would prevent my voice from carrying as it was. My face set back into its normal, emotionless, expression, and I absently wondered if chaos was dead out there. My unspoken question was answered a moment later, as those blue-green eyes of the platinum-haired young man pierced through the darkness of space surrounding them, shining out to grasp my attention. The surrounding stars paled in comparison, and I felt light-headed for a moment, my sensors malfunctioning as, in the next instant, those eyes had moved from amongst the stars, to but a mere inch from my own.

How had he done that?

My mind was, for lack of a better word, reeling. I had a thousand and one questions, damaged sensors, and a malfunctioning emotional inhibitor. This was not my day.

chaos, still very close to me, I noticed, looked very serious. He wasn’t angry that I had seen him perform such unthinkable actions without aid of nanomachine or else wise, but rather, the young man looked like he was searching for something–something hidden in the depths of my eyes, no doubt.

A moment passed, both of us standing completely still while environmental bugs (read: nanomachines) jutted around us, disturbing air which would have otherwise remained unmoved.

chaos slowly smiled,” We should get to the bridge.”

I studied his smile, my expression set in stone; this wasn’t the same, fake, smile that chaos usually used around everyone, including myself. No–this smile was a true smile; a little amused, a little happy, and…a little dark.

chaos leaned back from me, and began heading for the exit of the park, pausing once to look back and meet my eyes,” Shall we go, Canaan?”

--------------------------------------------------- --------------

Author’s Conclusion: The next chapter is longer, I swear. >>; At least it is on paper. For those of you familiar with the ending, I’m changing it. After the appearance of that large structure (Abel’s Ark), no one did a thing about it. I, however, am taking author-istic liberties in making everyone freak out about it. Stay tuned if you’re interested.
Converting /tmp/phpDRRG0g to /dev/stdout