Fan Fiction ❯ Quest for the Master Sword ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"The Spiritual Stones! And the Ocarina of Time! Give them to me!" Ganon commanded the Stalfo.

"Yes, Evilness," the Stalfo replied. "I bombed my way into their vault."

Ganon grabbed the gemstones and the ocarina. "Thanks--servant! Back to the Evil Jar with you!" He pointed a gnarled finger at the walking skeleton and a bolt of magic shot from Ganon's finger, surrounding the Stalfo in a pink-orange glow. A split-second later the Stalfo was back in the Evil Jar.

"Centuries ago I attempted to get the Spiritual Stones from the Kokiri, the Gorons, and the Zoras," Ganon said aloud to no one. "I almost had the complete Triforce back then...and that first Link let me to the Master Sword. But then he and those Sages had to interfere! Now I will find the Master Sword and use it to conquer all of Hyrule--and then the world!"

His head tilted back as he laughed, a screeching, demented, evil laugh. "Finally!"

Abruptly he stopped laughing. That Stalfo had used a bomb? He hadn't bothered to get a key from Link or Zelda? "That imbecile! He could have sneaked in, got the items, sneaked out, and not be seen! That bomb will have grabbed everyone's attention in that cursed castle! I must make haste!" He pointed his finger at the Evil Jar and summoned an army. "My servants--to the Lost Woods with you! Find your comrades there and let them know to be on the lookout for Link and Zelda--and if you find them...eliminate them!"

Having heard orders from their master, Ganon's minions departed, headed for the Lost Woods.

"That fool. I could have had a head start--a huge head start! No one would have noticed those things were gone if he'd done it right!" Ganon grumbled as he summoned a huge beetle to ride upon. "Now it'll be a race to see who finds it first!"


Zelda sat down on the bed, fully dressed, and watched as Link got some things together. "We'll probably be on this mission for a few days or so, since the Lost Woods cover such a large area," said Link. "Zelda...are you all right? You look kinda listless there...."

"I just feel so anxious," she admitted.

"I know what you mean," said Link as he stuffed some clothes into a backpack. "I've got blankets and pillows for us to sleep on...some clothes...that kind of thing...." He hefted the knapsack onto his back and put his arms through the straps. "Get that bag there, honey?" he requested.

Zelda stood up and picked up the canvas bag that was sitting on their bed. "We'd better get going, Link," she said.

They went downstairs, then outside to the stable. "We'll take my horse," said Link as he loaded the bag Zelda was carrying onto the brown horse's back.

Link helped Zelda mount the horse; then he got on behind her. "Let's go, Catherine," Link said to the horse.


"Link...let's get something to drink...I'm thirsty," Zelda requested as they neared a stream.

Link pulled back the reins and Catherine stopped. "Me too," he said.

They knelt down together at the stream and drank from it. They had canteens of water, but they wanted to save them. When they'd had enough to drink, they went back to where Catherine stood patiently, waiting for them.

They travelled on, guided by the moonlight, heading north, then west. After that they had to go south. "Link, I'm so tired," Zelda whispered as she leaned up against him.

"Me too. We need to stop and rest. If we keep going, tired as we are, we'll be no match for Ganon."

Link decided to stop in Ruto Town, which was on their route, situated at near the mountains of northwest Hyrule. They found the inn there and paid for a night.

The couple kicked off their boots, took off their clothes, and lay down together, covering themselves with a blanket. "I'll be sleeping with one eye open," Link told Zelda. "Never know who or what might be lurking around here. Even in the towns."

Link sat up, and Zelda wrapped her arm around his waist and drifted off to sleep. He gently smoothed her hair from her face and smiled down at her. She seemed to moan in pleasure as he rubbed her back; that was one way to get her to relax, as he'd found out.

As he rubbed her back he reached into his knapsack and extracted a biscuit to munch on. He was a little tired, but he wanted to watch over Zelda for a little while. He could will himself to sleep lightly in situations such as this.

After a little while Zelda started tossing and turning. "Zelda? Baby? Are you all right? Wake up, sweetheart," Link said, trying to shake her awake. "Zelda!"

Zelda lay still. "Zelda, wake up, honey!" Link begged. "Zelda?" He pulled her to a sitting position and supported her head and neck in the crook of his elbow. He brought his opposite hand to her face and stroked her cheek gently. She was still breathing, but it didn't stop him from worrying.


Zelda felt safe as she snuggled up against Link and put her arm around him. As she drifted off to sleep she could feel his hand gently brushing her hair back, and the last thing she remembered before sleep totally claimed her was Link gently rubbing her back.

Suddenly she found herself standing next to the bed. Her eyes widened when she saw herself being propped up by Link, who was trying to wake her up. "Where am I? What's going on?" she asked.

A figure walked in, literally through the door to the room. It was a young woman with long blonde hair, the hair in front of her pointed ears in little blue clasps. She was wearing a blue dress with a white collar, and she had blue eyes. "Zelda...," said the girl.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Princess Zelda of Hyrule," the girl replied. "Your many-times-great-grandmother...and Link's as well. I see you're happy with your Link, as I am with mine."

"Oh my--" The present Zelda put her hand to her mouth. "Am I dead?"

"No, no," the past Zelda smiled, shaking her head, the hair in the clasps gently swinging back and forth. "I am reaching out to you from my time...I'm sure you well know of our telepathic abilities. I'm able to see into the future."

"Does this have something to do with my and Link's journey?" the present Zelda asked.

"Yes. I know where my Link laid the Master Sword to rest. I had had dreams of the future, that the Master Sword's rest would be disturbed and my descendants had to stop Ganon once again. How fitting that it's another Link and Zelda pair." The past Zelda looked at her descendant. "I was hoping I could make contact with you somehow...and I managed to."

"Do you know where the Master Sword is, Grandmother?" Zelda asked, unable to think of anything else to call her ancestor.

"It is not far from what you now know as Spectacle Rock," the past Zelda replied. "Look in the forest near the cemetery. It's not far from the ruins of Kakariko Village."

"Link and I will head there in the morning," the present Zelda said.

The past Zelda nodded. "Have a safe journey, my granddaughter...my many-times-great-granddaughter."

"Grandmother?"

"Yes?"

"What time are you in now?"

The past Zelda smiled prettily. "Link and I have just had our fifth child, our third daughter, Princess Haille," she replied. "My Link is such a good father...as I'm sure your Link will be someday. Farewell...and do not let Ganon possess the Master Sword!"

Suddenly Zelda found herself in Link's arms. "Oh, Zelda! You wouldn't wake up and I was so worried!" he exclaimed as he hugged her.

"I was having a weird dream...more like a visitation. From our ancestor, another Princess Zelda...from just over a century ago," Zelda told him.

Link's brown eyes widened. "Really?"

"Yes...she was having dreams about this, from her time, from the past," said Zelda as she lay back down on her pillow. "She told me where to find the Master Sword, and warned me that Ganon must never get hold of it."

"Where is it?"

"In the Lost Woods near the cemetery," Zelda replied.

"We need to set out at dawn, then," said Link as he lay beside her and held her in his arms. "Bet there will be some Gibdos and Ghinis there just waiting for me to zap 'em."

"Yes, they're just waiting to tangle with you," Zelda murmured as she buried her face in his strong chest and pulled him closer to her. Even though Link could act like a fool sometimes, she still felt safe whenever she was with him, especially whenever they were locked in their most intimate embrace.

"Yep, they have to take numbers," Link chuckled as he rested his chin on top of her head and closed his eyes.

For a while Zelda listened to the sounds of his deep, even breathing and his heartbeat. Then she closed her own eyes and drifted off to sleep, in the arms of the man she loved.


Ganon's teleportational powers might be limited in the Overworld, but not all of his magic. He was still able to monitor Link and Zelda. "So...they've stopped in Ruto for the night," he grinned. "Well, once they try to pass through the tunnel leading to the Moruge Swamp, they can expect a nice warm welcome from my pets!"

He was headed for the Lost Woods just southeast of a fairy spring, which was closer to the old Temple of Time's former location. It made sense to look there first, he figured, and his minions would do away with Link and Zelda near Moruge Swamp, keeping them out of the way for good.