Fan Fiction ❯ She's Got a Way ❯ She's Got a Way ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

[This is my first story for an online comic. Yes, you heard me. An online comic. Which one you ask? Well, I actually have quite a few favorites, but currently my absolute favorite is… "Alien Dice" by Tiffany Ross. Why? Golly jee, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure. It's not a standard online comic by any means, it's actually quite different. But it's got me hooked but bad. ^_^ I LOVE ALIEN DICE!!! It's about an alien, a human, some living "dice", and it's just WONDERFUL! I recommend it to everyone and anyone. Go check it out at www.aliendice.com and then come back and read my stories. Anyhoo… I heard the perfect song the other day that just screams Lexx and Chel, and I knew I HAD to write a songfic. The song is "She's Got a Way" by Billy Joel. So, here's my tribute to one of the best online comics in existence. WEE!! I LOVE ALIEN DICE!!!]

She's Got a Way

An Alien Dice Song Fiction

By: KaoruKagome

It was almost four o'clock. They'd had lunch in Chel's house after a morning debacle of avoid Damian and Claudia. Then Chel suddenly came up with the idea of coming to the beach. She gave the excuse that the dice probably needed more practice in swimming, but Lexx knew she had wanted to go herself. If not, she probably would not have suggested it.

Lexx sat by a large rock on the beach as he watched the spectacle a distance. He had tried to give the dice swimming lessons, but gave up after a couple of pathetic attempts. Today, they just wanted to have fun. Dig was by the water with Zeta, both looking longingly at Epsy, Skate and Chel whom were enjoying in the water. It seemed like the two actually wanted to get in and join them, but were too hesitant about the water itself to get the gumption to do it. Stealth, Fly, and Dash were lying beneath a palm tree, grooming themselves, and watching the others with growing amusement. Lexx smiled as his golden eyes settled on Chel.

She's got a way about her

I don't know what it is

But I know that I can't live without her

His head tilted slightly as she fell off Skate with a splash and came up laughing. Epsy then splashed at her with her tail and Chel tried to retaliate, to no avail. Chel laughed and ducked under the water, surprising Epsy. Lexx watched the revelry half sad and half happy. There was something about Chel, something he couldn't figure out. He knew that after all of this was over she would have to go home… That is if he didn't send her home first. He leaned his head back against the rock and sighed. Who was he kidding? He wasn't going to send her home. He liked her company too much. He had grown used to having her around. And all the dice loved her. They would never let him send her away.

And if he died during this last game then at least she could claim the dice and live on Earth peacefully. But what happens if he should succeed and actually win his freedom? He wanted to stay on Earth, but would he move far away and isolate himself, and try to live without her? The thought depressed and scared him. He…didn't want to live without her…

She's got a way of pleasin'

I don't know why it is

But there doesn't have to be a reason anywhere

Lexx shook off the thoughts and looked back toward the beach. He didn't want to think about that now. He had been thinking about that too much lately. He did not want to, but it seemed like he couldn't help himself. His eyes widened slightly as he watched Chel burst from the water, her brilliant sunset hair glistening. Lexx gulped. His body warmed and it wasn't from the sun's heat. What was it about this human girl? He turned his head away, forcibly taking away his gaze from her. He already had enough problems as it is. He didn't need his emotions to make this more than what it really was. He was just lacking in close company other than the dice. There really was nothing more to it than that.

"Lexx?"

He turned at the sound of his name and ended up looking into ocean blue eyes. Chel smiled at him. His heart did a flip. "What are you doing way over here? Why aren't you in the water with us? I know I'm the one who suggested coming, but you love the water." Her brow furrowed in worry. "Is something wrong?"

She's got a smile that heals me

I don't know what it is

But I have to laugh when she reveals me

Lexx shook his head and stood up, brushing the sand off his shorts, not looking at her. "No. Nothing's wrong. I was just thinking." He straightened and looked at her. The sun made the water gleam off her pale skin. She had pulled her flaming hair over her right shoulder and the sun made it look like it was about to catch fire, despite the fact that it was still dripping. It was already curling in the heat. He watched water drops slide down her collarbone into the slight cleavage the dark blue bathing suit allowed. He took a deep calming breath and turned his gaze away.

"Lexx? Are you sure you're all right? You're acting funny," she said hesitantly.

"It's nothing, I said," he repeated harshly. He didn't like the way his body was reacting, or what his emotions were doing. They were acting crazy. But then again things had been far from normal since this girl showed up in his life.

"You know, Lexx, I really hate it when you say it's `nothing'. It's really starting to irk me something fierce." He felt a sharp tug on his hair and met flashing blue eyes. "Now why don't you tell me what's wrong? Your mood swings have gotten worse lately. There's something you're not telling me." Her eyes softened and she released his hair. "Sorry." Chel shook her head and gave him a determined look. "Just get it off your chest. You'll feel better once you've talked about it, I'm sure."

"I sincerely doubt it," he mumbled to himself, looking away again. He didn't want to see the concern in her eyes. It just made him feel worse.

Suddenly he felt something jab his nose. A startled sound escaped him and he turned to her. Her eyes were narrowed, her index finger coming up for another jab. He dodged her. "What are you doing?"

"I'm the doctor and you're the patient. When I say you're better off talking about it, I mean and I expect to be obeyed. How are you supposed to get better if you don't listen to me?" Chel said following after him, fingers wiggling in threat.

Oh, God, she wasn't planning on… Lexx barely managed to avoid the tickling fingers. Wait a minute. Doctor, patient? "Hey, when did this become a therapy session?"

She gave him a hooded look. "The moment I realized you needed it. Luckily, I've taken a few psychology classes."

Lexx stopped and looked at her bewildered. "Since when does a couple of psychology classes make you qualified enough to give me therapy? ACK!"

Chel had tackled him to the sad, landing on top of him and tickling him. He burst out laughing. It had been yesterday when she had accidentally discovered his tickle spot. He knew she was going to take advantage of it eventually though he had been hoping to avoid it. "Okay!" Gasp. Laughter. "I'll… tell you! Hahahaha! Just… let me up!"

She stopped tickling him, put her elbows on his heaving chest, her chin on her palms. When Lexx caught his breath he looked up at her and lost what little breath he'd just gotten. Her gentle smile and the strange emotion in her eyes made his heart jump to his throat. Damn. What was wrong with him?

"How about we take a little walk along the beach?" she suggested quietly.

All he could do was nod. She rolled off him and stood up, brushing off the sand. Lexx came up after her and did the same. He was still trying to make his heart slow down to a normal pace. He's never had to do that before. What's going on? He remembered the feel of her skin against his and strange burning sensation that ignited in his gut. It had happened that time she had thrown herself at him after the battle with Trasik.

He suddenly stiffened. She touched him then. Had touched him much more since then. She had even tickled him just now. When had his barriers come crashing down?

"Come on, Lexx!"

He looked up and saw her just ahead, her smile outshining the sun. He quickly went to her side, his heart pounding and his mind in turmoil.

She's got a way of talkin'

I don't know why it is

But it lifts me up when we are walkin' anywhere

After they had told the dice that they were going for a walk, they set off. Zeta, Fly and Epsy had tried to follow them, but Stealth managed to keep them from going. Lexx was grateful for that. He wasn't even sure how he was going to discuss this with Chel, let alone with yapping dice following them around.

They walked in silence for a bit. Chel was watching the ocean, the gentle waves as they lapped against her feet. Lexx watched her. Her skin and hair dried quickly. Her hair hung around her shoulders in crisp waves and her skin glowed with the kiss of the sunlight. She didn't even seem to notice that he was looking at her. How was he going to do this? How was he even going to bring it up? How could he possibly tell her that his problem had everything to do with her and nothing else? He looked away from her and down at his bandaged arms. He cringed, seeing through the bandages to the scars that were hidden beneath. Whatever it was that he was hoping could never be. How could anyone care about someone with such a malformed body? Why should he think even for a moment that she would stay with him?

"Lexx?"

He started and looked back at her. The wind caught her hair for a moment and it blew around her. She held it back with one hand. But her smile never faded. He was sure his heart skipped a beat.

"Yeah?"

Chel turned to the side and continued walking. Lexx stayed beside her. "Whatever it is that's troubling you, you can tell me, you know. I was just kidding about the therapy thing. I just want to help you. So, whatever it is, or whenever you're feeling down, let me know and tell me about it and I'll try to help, no matter what. I promise."

She comes to me when I'm feelin' down

Inspires me without a sound

She touches me and I get turned around

Lexx could only stare at her. Help him? She wanted to help him? His heart clenched and he turned away. Was it because she pitied him? Or because she felt bad for his dice because he was so unbalanced? He didn't want her pity… He wanted something else. But what do you want from her? He didn't know…or maybe he did but just didn't want to think about it. He shook his head.

"I don't want your pity, Chel," he said coldly.

He felt her stop beside him and so he stopped as well. He did not want to look at her. He was sure she would be hurt and give him that pained look that he hated. He did not want to hurt her for any reason. But he didn't want her to pity him either.

But she did not say a thing. The silence was thickening. The only sound was the gentle crashing of the waves beside them.

It was then that Lexx felt the gentle fingers on his arm. The small caress made him look up and stopped breathing. Her eyes burned with an emotion he dared not name. They bore into him.

"I don't pity you, Lexx," she whispered. "I just want you to be happy. You always have this sad look in your eyes and no matter what I do I can't seem to make it go away. I want to be there for you. You need someone to lean on. Why can't you lean on me? I thought…" She stopped and took a deep ragged breath. She seemed to gather her courage before she spoke again. "I thought you liked me," she breathed. She continued quickly, "So, I thought you would depend on me, let me take care of you." Chel's voice lowered to a whisper again. "I want to take care of you, Lexx. You need someone to look after you. I'm here now, and I want to help you. Not out of pity, but because I want to."

"What about Stealth?" he asked quietly.

Chel moved her hand and let it settle on his bandages. She took a step toward him. Lexx's pulse quickened when he caught her scent. She smelled like seawater, lavender soap and Chel.

"She was my first reason for being here, but the reason changed. I still want her back, but… Well, I want to help you more." Lexx met her blue eyes. Her hand caressed the bandages where his most shameful scars lay hidden. "I want to be here for you."

"So, you're not just here in case I fail and the dice need to be claimed?" he said.

Chel shook her head. "Even when Stealth suggested it, I knew that wasn't the reason I was staying. I wanted to help you. To take care of you. I was going to make sure that I wouldn't have to claim the dice. You were going to win and then you were going to come and live on Earth."

Lexx watched, marveled, as her cheeks flushed red. "At least," she whispered. "I hope you do."

She's got a way of showin'

How I make her feel

And I find the strength to keep on goin'

Lexx couldn't help himself. He lifted the arm that she wasn't holding and pressed his fingers against her burning cheeks. He was surprised at himself. One thing was to have her touch him and not mind. It was quite another for him to touch her and in such an intimate way. He felt his own face start to burn.

"How can you care about someone like me?" he whispered. He looked away from her lovely face and down at his bandaged arms. "Someone who gave up on life a long time ago. Someone with no future, no past and no present. Someone with such a terribly scarred body. Someone who's moody, and who hurts you, and upsets you and makes you sad. Why do you want to look after someone like me? Why do you stay here with me?"

He felt her fingertips on his cheek and his gaze returned to hers. Her smile melted the walls around his heart. His voice cracked when he tried to speak. "Why?"

"Is that what's bothering you, Lexx? Why I'm still here? Why I haven't left?" She smiled at him, but the smile was sad. "Let's just say that I don't want to leave. And… Well, if you'll be forthcoming, I will be too." She took a deep breath. Her next words came out shaky. "I'm afraid of what's going to happen when everything is all over."

Chel took another deep breath and continued. "I really don't know what's going on with me, Lexx. All I know is that I don't want to leave you. I want to look after you. I want to make sure your dream comes true and you're free to live wherever you want." Her voice lowered to a whisper and her face flamed up. "Even though a part of me wants you stay on Earth with me…"

Lexx closed his eyes and shook slightly with the force of the emotional dam in him. He always kept his emotions in check. In order to survive, he had to. But now… Now that dam came crashing down. His arms ached with the want to take Chel in his arms and bury his face in her sweet smelling hair. But he didn't dare. He felt weak but strong at the same time. He looked up at her.

She's got a light around her, oh oh oh

And everywhere she goes a million

Dreams of love surround her everywhere

The sun had fallen a bit and shone behind her. The sun illuminated Chel and her hands still clasped his. For some reason, he was reminded of the stories of angels he had heard of. Earth was especially fond of such myths. They were supposed to be beings of light that cared for those who were lost and alone. His heart clenched.

Was Chel an angel sent just for him? Could he ever be worthy of her?

He wondered briefly if he had finally gone over the deep end. Here he was having silly daydreams. Chel was no angel; she was just a human who was too soft for her own good. He was losing it. She says a few sweet words and his defenses crumble, he starts hallucinating, and starts dreaming of something way beyond his reach.

His own future.

But for some reason, whenever he looked at her, it seemed his future wasn't as unreachable as he thought. It seemed like ever since this human girl entered his life, his dreams have suddenly become reachable when they had never been before. She was a fountain of hope, and he was allowing himself to drown in it.

He shook his head, trying to banish the thoughts and dreams that were now filling his head. She inspires them to appear, without even trying. This girl was dangerous… But Lexx knew that he would never want her to leave. He knew he would either have to drive her away or do the leaving himself. And he did not think he could do either. It would be safer that way, but safe no longer had as much appeal as seeing her smile. Even with all the side effects that smile seemed to produce.

Lexx took a deep breath and walked away from her and toward the water. He felt the cool splash of the waves on his feet. Lexx looked into the sky and, for the millionth time, wondered what had happened to him. He was becoming sentimental and he knew that kind of thing killed most dice. He had seen relationships make a dice like himself lose and he learned that to survive he must never get involved with someone. Yet…

Somehow it seemed different with Chel. He wasn't really getting involved with her that way… He just didn't want her to leave. He wanted her to be to be happy, to stay with him, to always be around… always… He closed his eyes. When did he start thinking of this non-existent relationship in the long term? He knew that no matter what she said, he would still have the feeling that after all this was over she would be gone from his life forever. And that thought weighed down his spirits like nothing else could. He couldn't protect her from Trasik, from god-knows what else, or from himself. He wanted her safe, but didn't want her to leave… and he was repeating himself.

Maybe if he kept doing that he would finally accept it.

She comes to me when I'm feelin' down

Inspires me, without a sound

She touches me, I get turned around oh oh oh oh oh oh oh

Suddenly, Lexx felt two arms encircle his waist hesitantly, the soft hands splaying over his chest and abdomen. He stiffened for a moment and then relaxed, unable to help himself. Whenever Claudia tried to grab him he always panicked and tried to pull away. But whenever Chel did it, he always felt like relaxing in her arms. Like if for the first time in his life since god-knows-when, someone cared about him.

He felt her hair brushing his back, fluttering in the wind. He felt her soft cheek pressed against him, her breath warming his flesh. Her fingers caressed him lightly. Not with any kind of erotic intent. Only for the giving of comfort. The last wall of ice around his heart melted away, and for the first time, he did not even care.

Lexx put his hands over hers, willingly touching her soft skin, and felt his eyes begin to burn. He did not want to show her his weakness. He refused. He closed his eyes and bowed his head, fighting back the wealth of emotion that rose up in him. But the tears came despite his bidding and slid from his eyes, two silent drops. One fell on the sand, silent and forgotten. But the other fell on Chel's hand, making her come around to face him.

He still had his eyes closed, though he sensed her move. He didn't want to look at her and see her pity. But when he felt her gentle thumbs brush away the wetness on his cheeks, he opened his eyes and saw her smile.

"I'll always be here for you, Lexx. I promise. And I don't break my promises," she whispered, still smiling tenderly at him.

Why? How does she do this? His heart felt lighter, as if those words were all he needed to hear. He returned her smile. It was the first real smile he had ever given her.

"Thank you." It was all that he could manage to say.

She's got a smile that heals me

I don't know why it is

But I have to laugh when she reveals me

Chel stepped back, smiling brilliantly at him now, and took his hand in hers. "Come on, then. I'm sure everyone's getting worried about us. It's getting late." She looked toward the sun and then back at him. The fading sunlight made her glow.

She was his sun. There was only one thing he knew for sure about any of this mess. And that was that he could not live without her.

"You're right. Let's get going," he said.

They began to walk in the direction they came, hand in hand. Chel looked up at him and Lexx drowned in her ocean blue eyes. "Lexx? Do you think we could stay and watch the sunset?"

He smiled at her. "Sure. I want to watch it too."

She's got a way about her

I don't know what it is

But I know that I can't live without her any way hey~