Fan Fiction ❯ To the poor unfortunate soul who found this diary…welcome to hell. ❯ Journal entry #4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

April 1, 03

I've done it again, how do I always manage to screw things up, I mean this always happens. I think that for ounce that I might be doing the right thing and then smack, reality hits me hard. No Megan you weren't doing anything right you were just messing up even more. My mom, my dad, Christ even princess April was right I'm a failure. What happened this time you ask, what happened that would make Megan start bitching again well ladies and gents this one for the books.

April and I had decided to leave the swamp, I was sick and tired of whatever was making the awful smell and April was complaining about how dirty it was. Megan this is gross, Megan my hair is dirty, and Megan I just stepped in something. I swear she's like one of those Barbie's that when you pull the string on her back she says a new thing every single time and you keep hitting it with a hammer but it never shuts up. The only thing that keep me from turning around and beating her into a pulp was the hope that some very ugly, freighting creature would do it for me. Maybe a thirty-foot bear that would grab her by her perfectly straight hair and would begin to raise her too his mouth and she would scream.

" Megan, oh wise Megan please save me from this horrible creature"

" Oh silly April what would I do I'm just a stupid freak" I'd respond. Then the creature would cram her into his massive mouth and grind her bones into powder using his mammoth teeth. Only small cries would be heard, then he'd spot me, look directly into my eyes and say.

" Tastes like chicken"

"Megan you had better be thinking of someway to get me out of here." April shouts at me from behind. I roll my eyes and continue to think of different ways of how April could vanish as I walked forward.

"Hello are you listening to me, Megan!!!!!"

"What makes you think that I'd be able to find a way out of this hell hole?"

"Well you know your one of those nerdy kids, I mean I always see reading and doing other nerdy things"

I'm not quite sure if she was complimenting me or if she was insulting me, either way who was she to call me a nerd.

"As a matter a fact I happen to be one of those mess up their entire lives kids."

"Are you having some kind of emotional break down of something because I am so not dealing with that right now, like one time my best friend Mandy she totally wigged out because her boyfriend dumped her. He didn't even have a reason…." I stared blankly at her as she continued to talk and talk and talk. That stupid narrow minded twit, seriously were in the middle of a whole new world that we know umm lets see absolutely nothing about and she's talking about her best friend Mandy.

"….. And it took over two weeks for Mandy to make a full recovery so I just don't want to deal with another emotional break down, you get what I'm saying?"

"You know your mouth keeps moving but all I'm hearing is blah blah blah."

"What!! I'm trying to be nice and give you some useful information and you just spit it back in my face."

" Oh yes I'm sooo sorry please tell me more about Mandy and her non-existent boyfriend."

"You want to talk about non-existing boyfriends Megan Rockmen." Ohhhh that was a blow to the chest, I thought that there was some kind of female code where other females weren't allowed to make fun of you if you've never had a boyfriend.

"I have had lots of real boyfriends for your information." It wasn't entirely a lie there was Zack Brockmen in grade two, we went out until Zack told me that it just wasn't working out for him. The next week Patty Parkinson was glued to his arm, life sucks.

"Like who Jamie zit-faced Nelson" Ohh and that's a nasty left uppercut from April boy Johnny she's on fire today, oh wait Megan swings back with a comment about the time she kissed stinky Sean. The battle between April ragged on with no mercy.

"You should watch your tongues, they throw out things that can not be picked up again."

"What did you say, is that some kind of nerd code?"

"April?"

"What"

"That wasn't me" The freaky feeling came back again. I searched through the trees, looking from the person who had just spoke.

"Come out so we can see you" April squeaked. Oh yes that's a good idea April, that way we don't have to worry about the suspenseful moment right before we die. Maybe if I glare at her long enough she'll disappear and reappear on partridge family reruns.

"You waking the trees from their sleep." Came the voice again but this time I knew where it was coming from. I slowly turned around and faced the person that was the owner to the mysterious voice.

It was a small old woman that looked a lot like my grandmother. She had moon shaped eyes that wrinkled in the corners and shone a magical green colour, she had a button nose that extended from her plump wrinkly face and her mouth was a thin red line that looked like it had never smiled. Her skin was weathered and filled with deep, long lines. A large dark blue cloak was draped around her shoulders, only her small feet that were wrapped in thick sandals could be seen. Her stringy gray hair was pulled back in a low pony tail and only a few strands of hair outlined her face. My god she looked so much like my grandmother that it was scary, the only real difference was that this old woman had a large star-shaped scar on her right cheek.

"Keep your voices down, the trees are not concerned with your squabbles." Her voice was low and raspy nothing like my grandmother.

"Do something." April whispers as she nudges me forward.

"Like what? Ask her if she has any milk and cookies." Yeah she was probably like that old witch in Hanzel and Gredal who is all nice and sweet but as soon as you turn your head BANG your thrown into an oven and served as dinner.

"No don't ask her for cookies, they might be poisonous." April squeaked as she moved closer to me. Was she hiding behind me?

"Have you ever heard of sarcasm you twit." That one earned me a swift punch in the arm

"Shut up!"

"Silence" The old woman bellowed. We both just stared at her with our mouths wired shut.

"Better, now who are you and who are you disrupting my trees with your incessant chattering?"

"Umm…well…like you see there was this…..ummmm well…." Ya April was doing just great of course I wasn't doing much better than she was.

"Wejustcamefromthishousethatwassuperscaryandtherewasamuderafteru sandI'mreallysothatwedisruptedyourtrees." I inwardly smacked my self for acting like a fifth grader trying to ask out the cutest boy in school.

"Good one"

"And you can do better?" With that April pushed me out of the way and began to tell the old woman her story.

"OK I'll start at the beginning. I was in my room doing my hair when it all happened. One moment I was in front of my fluffy pink mirror and the next I was outside of that creepy old house, you know the one just down there by the stinky swamp……" When April had mentioned the old creepy house I saw the expression on the old woman's face change, she now seemed slightly interested in what April had to say.

"…..And when I took a step on the porch the floorboards broke and my leg got caught. Oh and did I mention that there was this slimy thing under the porch that was grabbing my leg, like can you say ewww"

"Did you go in the house?" The old woman asked with wide eyes.

"Hey I'm telling a story and you are being extremely rude missy. Oh and yes I did go in the house and if you must know that was when I ran into Megan here." She stepped back and placed her hands so that she was like one of those girls one the price is right showing off a new car or a trip to New York where you can be mugged for free.

"So you were the first one to enter the house?" She raised one wrinkled hand and extended her bonny finger at me as she spoke.

"Umm yeah I was the first one in the house, does that matter?" For some reason the short stubby old woman found this incredibly hilarious. She began to cackle like on of those witches from bad furniture commercials that air around Halloween saying that their new loveseats will "sweep" you off your feet, cackle, cackle, cough, cough, wheeze, dying.

"And what the hell is so funny about that?" April spit back at the old woman. When the old woman had finally regained her posture and she began to speak.

"I'm guessing that you two are not from this world." There it was again "not from this world", that was the same thing that the Wichita said. April and I both nodding and she continued.

"Well may I be the first to welcome you to Odessa, the world where everything is not always what it seems." A small grin had formed on her face and her eyes twinkled with excitement.

"Come sit let me tell you about the house" With that said she tapped her foot on the ground three times, three chairs and a small table sprang out of the ground. The woman gracefully glided toward one on the chairs and sat down.

"Sit" she commanded. April was still in the "shock" phase you know the wide open mouth, the bulging eyes and the expression that read "what the hell". Well she wasn't going to do anything so I might as well be the first one. I walked toward the old woman and sat in the chair across from her. My eyes stayed fixed on her the hole time to tell her that her little magic tricks didn't impress me. Inside I was freaking, the life of a frog didn't really seem all that promising at the moment. The old woman continued to look at me with her sparkling eyes and lop-sided grin. I looked over at April who was still standing in the same spot, not good, the old hag will probably think that were afraid of her.

"I don't think that you are afraid of me, her maybe but you no and please don't call me an old hag." Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my freaking' god. How did she, no that's not possible, I hearing things, the old hag is read my mind. But that's impossible.

"I told you not to call me an old hag" Ok lets say that she just got out of a freak accident and as a result she can read my mind. Oh my god she'd the fifth member of the fantastic four. But wait then it wouldn't be the fantastic four it would be the fantastic five, oh my god she's a super hero or is it a super villain.

"Will you shut up Megan, and news flash you shouldn't announce that you're a comic book nerd. Didn't you ever play with Barbie dolls like normal girls?" Said April who had now miraculously teleported next to me.

"You can read my mind, oh my god your part of the fantastic four too" Wow did I really say that? I think they call this hysteria.

"What is the fantastic four?" Th old woman asked.

"Oh they're this group that has special powers like they can control fire or they can become invisible. And protect people using their powers…."

"Oh my god you're really a comic book nerd, wow major drop in your social status Megan"

"Oh I'm April I have perfect hair and I pad my bra"

"I DO NOT"

"DO TO"

"DO NOT"

"TO"

"NOT"

"TO"

"SILENCE" Uh-oh made the old hag mad again.

"And for the last time I am NOT an old hag and if you dare to call the great Oihane an old hag again I will turn you into a frog"

"Was that a joke?" I really wasn't sure, but her scary glare assured me that she was being serious.

"Now where can I find these fantastic four?"

"Oh there real there just characters in a story"

"Ah lies made up by the insane." The old woman that from now on will be known as Oihane nodded her head and began to mumble to herself. April and I both just stared at each other until a wide grin across April's face.

"Well I guess we shouldn't tell her that you're a writer."

"Shut up." I couldn't help but grin back at her ounce in a life time witty comment. As April and I continued to grin like idiots I realized something.

"Wait how can you read my mind?" The old woman snapped out of her trance and weighted my question. After nodding and mumbling to herself some more she answered my question.

"The house is very powerful, it's full of the magic's." Her voice was at a low whisper as if she was trying to keep what she said a secret.

"My tale begins many years ago when I was young and foolish. I had a daughter named Eudora whose beauty was known across the land and many young men came from afar to ask for her hand in marriage. Eudora refused their requests for marriage and waited for her prince to come. One day Vulcan the god of fire came to our forest to see Eudora for himself and when he did he fell in love with her instantly. When he asked for Eudora's hand she refused and sent him away. Now Vulcan was known for always getting what he wanted and he wanted Eudora. He came to me and begged me for Eudora's hand but I refused just as she had for I had herd about Vulcan. He had many wives and maidens and a temper was not one to be dealt with. Vulcan refused to take no for an answer so he went to his mother the great Eris the goddess of chaos. He told his mother of how Eudora had refused him of marriage and she became enraged. Eris came to our forest and demanded that my daughter marry her son. I stayed strong to my daughters wishes and told her no, this made her furious be on belief and she ordered Vulcan to destroy my forest. A snake-like grin spread across Vulcan's greedy face and he commanded the fires to burn. Eudora and I ran to safety, the hole time we could her the trees screaming in pain as they were burned. When we reached the end of the forest we turned around and saw our home and forest in piles of ash. We needed that forest it was our home, I had to, I had to do it"

"What! What did you have to do" April asked. Her face held a look of sympathy and worry.

"We needed that forest so I left my Eudora and went to find the legendary house. You see the people who had lived in that house had betrayed a powerful wizard, so the wizard cast a spell on the house and all those who lived there. Anyone who went the house would be in control of it. Anything you thought became a reality. Like when Megan wished that she wasn't alone, poof April appeared."

"What!!!!!!!" April stood up and shouted.

"You mean that it really was Megan that brought me here!!!!" Oihane nodded and April began to turn red.

Me I was what you call dumb founded. Anything I wanted would just appear, not that I wanted April but wow. Knowing me I'd probably wish for a cherry cheese cake, ummmmm oh and with chocolate sauce and wait a minute.

"Wait so you're telling me that if I wished that I was back home then BAM I'd be back home?"

"Yes" I jumped up as April's face went back to a normal colour.

"This means that we can go back to the house and wish our self's home." I explained to April and a wide grin spread across her face.

"No"

"No what do you mean no you old hag" April shouldn't have said that, she shouldn't have said that. Oihane rose from her chair and stared at April with cold eyes, as the trees began to howl and the ground began to shake.

"I mean that you can only go in the house ounce, after that the house disapers, that's why you couldn't find it Megan" My jaw has officially hit the ground. I messed up again and not only did I screw it up for my self but I screwed it up for April too. I sat down again and waited for April to start yelling at me. But she didn't, she flopped down in her chair and sighed.

"So what happened?" April asked Oihane.

"I'd left Eudora in the piles of ash and went in search of the house. We I found it I went inside and commanded that my forest be rebuilt just the way it had been before Vulcan had destroyed it. I left the house and went back to where I had left Eudora but she was not there. Vulcan had taken her and made her his bride, I was left alone."

"Did it work? I mean did the house bring back your forest?" April asked. The old woman smiled and answered.

"Yes and the trees were very thankful, they became my friends. I watch over them and talk with them and they provided me a home and protection, But their kindness did not cover up my grief, to this day I think of what I could have done to protect my daughter." I felt sorry for the old woman, loosing everything she had, ouch.

"Wait you still haven't answered my question, how are you able to read my mind?"

"The house"

"Say what?"

"The house" I stared blankly at her.

"Your really going to have to expand on that" Oihane smile and replied.

"I was part of the spell, who ever had been in the house was given the curse of being able to read other minds."

See do you see how much I fucked up. I am so pathetic that it's not even funny, not that it would be well maybe to April. Oihane said that we could stay with her until we figured out what we were going to do sounds like a plan. We're just about ready to head off to her cabin, her and April are almost done their little emotional session. You know the "If you start crying then I'm going to tart crying and and wahhhhhhhh", then went on like that for what seemed like hours but their now finally ready to go. Anyway were off so I'll write back later.

P.S. Tell my mom I love her, oh and tell my dad not to throw out my cat.