Fan Fiction ❯ Treasure ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This should be the last land-bound chapter for awhile. The pace will pick up as well - if you've stuck with me so far, I love you dearly. ~amaretto

Treasure

Chapter Two

Takara knocked briefly on the prince's door, barely waiting for the curt "enter" before opening the door and stepping inside. The door had only just closed behind him when the sound of Nankyokukai's familiar laughter filled the room.

"Well, well-I guess the inspection proceeded just fine without me." Nankyokukai continued laughing at Takara's flushed face. "You did remember to inspect the ship, didn't you?"

Takara dropped his satchel to the floor and stalked across the room to where the prince was seated at his dressing table, determined to knock the youngest royal to the floor. "Isn't it enough you've forced me into this ridiculous contract? Must you constantly mock me for it, Prince?"

Nankyokukai's reflection smirked at the secretary from the mirror over the dressing table. "Would you calm down? You're over reacting. Honestly Takara, of course I have to tease you-clearly you aren't suffering overmuch from his attentions. Really, I'm jealous."

The secretary halted just behind the prince, glaring at the reflection, "Very funny. I throw out love letters and proposals for you every day. And you get just as many offers in person-it's not my damn fault you're too picky, little prince."

The humor faded from the prince's face, "I have my reasons. Anyway, given the present circumstances isn't it far better that I don't have a lover?

Takara's anger vanished as his own words hit him, and he looked away, "My apologies Prince."

"How did the inspection go? Everything is in order?"

Takara shook his head, clearing his thoughts. He began to speak as he turned back toward the door to retrieve the bag he'd left there. "Everything is in order, we should be ready to leave first thing tomorrow morning."

"I'm impressed. I did not think they would have everything in order so quickly, despite their assurances. What of the crew?"

"More than competent; both Raiden and Ningyo swear by their men and I could find no fault of my own." Takara retrieved a bundle of papers from his satchel and walked over to rejoin the prince, who had reseated himself at his dressing table.

"My father has insisted on a family dinner tonight, to inform them of our journey.

Naturally that means he'll be lying about what we are actually up to, but of course he has failed to inform me as to what his excuse will be." Nankyokukai frowned at his reflection as he lifted a brush and then set it down again.

"Why does he not inform you of his excuse ahead of time? Would that not make things much simpler?" Takara thought he already knew the answer.

"Isn't it obvious? He doesn't want to give me a chance to contrive a way of ruining everything. Leave those papers on the table a moment. There's something else I want your help with, Taka."

"What would that be?" Takara set his things aside as commanded and moved to stand behind the prince again, looking at their reflection. He recognized the composed expression on the prince's face and sighed. "You've found a way to cause trouble anyway, haven't you?"

"Naturally. Thought it's more like lovely timing is all, I was planning to do this tonight anyway." The prince smirked at their reflection, reaching out to pick up a pair of scissors. "I had all the beads taken out of my hair while you were gone, so it's ready for you to cut. I was thinking to about the chin?"

Takara gaped, "You want me to cut your hair? Do you have any idea what they'll do to you?"

"They won't do anything under the circumstances. I'm sure my father would normally delight in wringing my neck over such a travesty, but our current circumstances are hardly normal, are they? Let's be serious for a moment. I'm going to be on that ship for roughly six months, with perhaps only one or two breaks early on. The last three months or so will be uninterrupted water. Do you really want to help me take care of all this?" Nankyokukai shook his head, sending the heavy mass of long hair waving back and forth down his back. "Besides, no one on board needs to be impressed by my gorgeous looks and long, flowing hair. Now get with the cutting."

Shaking his head in regret, Takara leaned over the Prince's shoulder to grab a brush, tucking the offered scissors into his own midnight blue sash. "As you command."

*****

He'd managed to keep a straight face on the short journey from his room to the family's private dining room, ignoring the looks and comments of passerby in silence, but one look at the expressions on his family's faces had Nankyokukai laughing almost hysterically. He could hear Takara groan in despair behind him, and that only made him laugh harder.

His once long hair now stopped just below his chin, still flawlessly straight. He ran a hand through it, still marveling at how abruptly his hair stopped. It was strange, but it felt good.

Nankyokukai finally stopped laughing as his father rose and stalked toward him. Refusing to flinch, a soft hiss was the only sound the prince made as the king backhanded his youngest child with a resounding smack. The prince refused to lift a hand to examine his sore face.

"What in the Storms' names have you done? What is the meaning of this?" King Taiheiyou's face was red with anger.

The prince smirked, "I was bored." He saw his father move to backhand him again and endured the second blow the same as he had the first. Strolling over to the table with a sighing Takara in tow, Nankyokukai stopped and greeted his mother and sister, seated at the end of the table closest to the door through which he had just entered. "Mother, Umiko. You both look lovely this evening."

Queen Nami shook her head, kissing her son's cheek. "Nankyo, how could you cut your hair like that? You look like a commoner."

"I think it's pretty, you look older." Umiko leaned up to kiss her younger brother on the cheek, her own laughter dancing in her eyes.

Rising, the youngest prince looked down the table toward his brothers, who were staring at him with displeasure written all over their faces. Sweeping his own long hair behind his shoulders, the brother seated to the right of the king's chair spoke, "Really Nankyo, could we enjoy one meal together without your ruining it? You look atrocious."

"The fact that we are dining alone together immediately discounts any possibility of enjoyment, Taiseiyou, so don't try to blame our shared misery on me. I like my hair, atrocious or no. Now, I'm ravenous. Whatever are we having for dinner? Oh yes, I invited Takara along. I'm sure no one minds."

The queen smiled as Takara approached to greet her, and she kissed his cheek as she had Nankyokukai's, "Of course we don't mind. Lord Takara, it is good to see you. The two of you are always so busy, I never see you anymore."

"Our apologies, Majesty. We shall endeavor to visit you more often." Takara smiled affectionately at the queen before moving down the table to sit beside Nankyokukai, who had seated himself beside his second eldest brother, avoiding the heir apparent on the opposite side, whom had spoken earlier.

The king had already resumed his seat, though his face still tight with anger, "You are late."

"My apologies, it took longer than anticipated to cut my hair."

Silence.

"Your impertinence, Nankyo, will be the end of you." The king said as the rest of the family fell into a tense silence.

The Queen opened her mouth to speak when Nankyokukai spoke in a frozen tone, "No, somehow I don't think it will." He stared expressionlessly at his father, who only stared back. "I no longer have an appetite. Takara, do stay and enjoy the meal. Mother, your pardon." Rising with his effortless fluidity, Nankyokukai briefly rest a hand on the shoulder of his secretary, signaling him to stay.

He departed without a backward glance.

"Tai, that was uncalled for. I thought you had something important to discuss with all of us." Queen Nami's voice had lost its soft tones. The mass of tiny braids spilling down from the top of her head swished as she shook her head in disappointment. The braids ran down her back, a stark blue against the pale pink of her silk dinner dress. "I was looking forward to this dinner, it's been so long since we last were all together."

Princess Umiko brooded silently beside her, a twenty four year old copy of her elegant mother in pale green, her own hair pulled high to cascade in artificial curls down her back. She stared at her hands, wishing she were eating dinner with her mother on the balcony rather than here with her father and brothers.

"Nami, you know very well that he was asking for it. You saw his hair. He was just causing trouble again. He lives to provoke us--you can hardly blame me for giving him what he wants." The King sat back heavily in his seat, tapping the table idly as he thought, "I'm sick of him, no respect at all; just one fiasco after another. He's been a problem since the day he was bo-"

Nami's face went pale, and she rose from her chair. "You really should learn to watch what you say. Come Umiko, we shall dine in my chambers. I can see the men are not fit for company tonight." Gathering her skirts, the queen led her daughter from the room.

A silence descended, before the eldest prince spoke up, "It seems those two are in quite the mood tonight. I'm eternally grateful, father, that I inherited your temperament rather than mother's."

The King only grunted, "Nonsense, your mother can be perfectly reasonable under normal circumstances. I'm afraid I was in the wrong with that last statement, though it certainly did not warrant her storming out."

Taiseiyou sniffed, "Well, you certainly were not out of line with Nankyo. You really should put him in his place; he's getting out of hand. Cutting his hair, he really went too far this time!"

"Let it be, Sei. Nankyo won't be here much longer anyway-that's what I called us all here for. But it seems I've lost the two whom I most wanted here."

The second son spoke up, his quiet voice hard with anger, "Che, I never understood why mother was always so soft on him. He's nothing but trouble. All he did this afternoon in court was cause trouble. First he incited a handful of farmers-it took me the rest of the morning to calm them down. After that fiasco he started conducting business with a couple of merchants. We were supposed to be fining them, not giving them more money! Then he started eating candy and passing it out to some pickpockets we'd arrested. He's utterly useless." He turned to look at the young man seated next to him, "Oh, Takara. I forgot you were here."

Takara said nothing, only stared back until Indoyou looked away.

"Never mind your mother, I can speak with her later. Takara is here, he can make up for Nankyo's absence." The king stared at his food a moment, gathering his thoughts. "I am sending Nankyo, accompanied by Takara, on a special mission, one that will keep them away for some time." He held up a hand as Taiseiyou started to speak, "Never mind what the mission is, that will stay a secret for now. I only tell you this because I want his absence to remain a secret. Should anyone question his whereabouts during the next year or so, you are to say that he is incapacitated, recovering in the country. Not to be disturbed. Lord Takara, confirm for me once more what your departure date is."

Takara looked up from where he had been staring into his wineglass, "We depart exactly one week from tomorrow, and we plan to leave at daybreak."

The king nodded, "That will suffice." He returned his attention to his sons, who only stared back with confused expressions, "Then start to circulate rumors that Nankyo is feeling unwell, and that he may have to retire permanently from palace life."

"Yes, sir" the brothers dutifully chorused.

"Takara, see to it that Nankyo starts to appear less and less in the coming week. I would like for you to inform people that he is feeling unwell. Make sure he cooperates, all right? You are dismissed." Taiheiyou waved his hand at the secretary.

Takara rose, bowing to the king and two princes before turning on his heel and heading silently for the door, his silver-green robes whispering softly around him.

"Hold a moment, Lord Takara. I will walk with you." Taiseiyou bowed apologetically to his father, murmuring assurances that he would return shortly. "I would like a quick word with Nankyo before he locks himself away to sulk all night." He followed the secretary from the room.

*****

"Takara, what is this mission all about?" Prince Taiseiyou looked anxiously over at the secretary as they made their way down the vast marbled hallway toward Nankyokukai's private chambers.

"With all do respect Highness, it's none of your business." Takara's voice was cool. "His Majesty has commanded my silence, I will abide by his wishes."

"Ever the obedient servant - you are your mother's son. Remind me again why you work for my brother? Wouldn't you rather work for your future king? Come now, Takara. What would you like?"

Takara stopped walking, turning to face the prince. "I would say the matter you plan on discussing with my brother is a large part of my reasons--hardly the behavior of a future king, wouldn't you agree Highness?"

Taiseiyou drew a sharp breath, "What do you know about it? It's none of your concern!"

"It's my concern if Prince Nankyokukai says it is. Now shall we continue, or would you prefer to continue our discussion here in the hall?" Spinning on his heel, Takara resumed his brisk pace, turning right at the end of the wide main hall onto a slightly narrower one, heading for the very end of it.

Beside him the eldest prince shook his head in disgust, "Clearly you've been working with him too long - you're as lacking in respect as he is. Don't speak so carelessly to me again, Secretary."

"My apologies, Highness." Takara murmured softly as they reached their destination. Opening the door into the front office, the two quickly crossed to the door that led into the bedchambers. Takara knocked briefly before entering the room.

A brief look around found the youngest prince reclining on the window seat, already in his bed robes. He was fiddling with a pendant, but at the approach of the two men he hid it again beneath his robes. Takara spoke, "Prince, your brother wishes to speak with you."

"Oh? Is that why he's followed you here like a scared puppy? What do you want, Sei?" Nankyo gave his brother a passing glance.

So confident in the dining room earlier, Taiseiyou suddenly felt incapable. His youngest brother had that effect on people. "I wanted to discuss the--" the heir fumbled with his words.

Nankyo sneered, "The what? Can't you remember, big brother?"

"You know what I mean!"

"Yes, I do. What's your point? I'd like to get to bed, so hurry up." Nankyokukai turned to look out the window while his brother struggled to speak.

"The King's Stone, I want to know what we're going to do about the King's Stone. You're going to be gone a year, Takara! What am I supposed to do while you're gone? What if father finds out I don't have it? You can't just leave, we have to fix this."

Nankyokukai's cold laugh rang through his bedchamber, adding to the tension rather than cooling it. "We? What have you ever done to help me fix your problem, hmm? As far as I can recall, I'm the one doing all the work. But-" he swung his legs down from the window seat, rising with slow grace to his feet and stepping toward the heir. "Cease your worries. You will be fine for another year or so - the Stone is safe enough where it is. And when I get back, I should be ready to return it to its rightful owner."

Nankyokukai shoved his brother away. "Now, let me go to sleep." He stalked off toward his bed.

"You can really fix it then?"

"Yes. Leave."

Nearly shaking with relief, Taiseiyou stumbled from his brother's room. He would get more information tomorrow - the promise of a solution was enough for now.

Watching the door close, Takara sighed. "Honestly, Nankyo - haven't you tortured him long enough?"

"Don't ask stupid questions, Taka." Nankyo stripped his robe off and tossed it over a chair. Naked, he slid into his bed with a sigh of his own. "How has my father chosen to explain my absence?

"You're falling dangerously ill."

"How uncreative. Well, our leaving early will certainly ruin that." He laughed softly as he pulled the blankets close around his body, burying himself in the bed. "We leave at dawn, so wake me three hours or so before that, Taka."

"Goodnight, Prince."

"Indeed."

*****

Takara went slowly around the room, robes whispering as he closed the curtains and snuffed the few candles.

Going through the door at the back of the prince's room, Takara stepped into his own chambers. Heaving an exhausted sigh, he quickly prepared for bed.

He lay in bed, only the faintest rays of moonlight breaking the absolute gloom. Before long, he began to toss and turn restlessly. Try as he might, his mind would not rest. Conversations and incidents of the past several days replayed in his head, tightening his stomach with nervousness and worry.

"Sweetheart, I really don't want you going. You sound sickened when you speak of this trip - I don't think you should go." Hana looked up at her son, worry in her light brown eyes. Afternoon sun brought out the color in her silver streaked, dark green hair.

"I'm going mother - as much as I hate it, I want to go. It's…only right." Takara kissed his mother's cheek. "Please don't worry, I'll be fine."

"I never should have permitted you to work for the palace. If I've learned nothing else from my life here, I've--"

"--Learned that you should never trust a royal. Work hard, be loyal, but never trust them. Yes, mother, I know." Takara shook his head, laughing.

"Don't be smart with me, boy." Hana smiled up at her son. "Well, I'm not going to fret myself to death. You've done superbly so far, and if you really are decided I'm not going to press it. You could have told me sooner though."

"Ah, but then you would've fretted yourself to death." Rising from the stone bench on which they were seated, Takara gave his mother another kiss. "Now, you get back to your garden. I'll expect to see these flowers in perfect condition when I return."

"Of course, haven't I kept them perfect for the past forty years now?" She rose, hugging him tightly for several long seconds. "Be careful, Taka."

"I will, Mother. I always am," Takara stepped away, and smiling he strolled back toward the palace, trailing his fingers along the flowers and trees edging the path of the intricate royal garden so meticulously shaped and cared for by his mother over the decades.

"We shall see you first thing in the morning then, Takara." Raiden and the secretary stood in the entrance hall of the palace. A cool evening breeze drifted through the open windows, dispersing the day's humidty.

"Yes, at dawn or shortly thereafter. You will be ready?" Takara looked over at the merchant, who smiled.

"Of course. It's not my favorite time to be awake, but we shall be ready."

"Excellent. Enjoy your evening then," the secretary turned to leave.

"Not so fast." Raiden grabbed his wrist, reaching up his second hand to grip the secretary's chin, forcing him to tilt his head up. Leaning down he kissed Takara softly, pulling back slightly to murmur, "It works better when you participate."

Takara jerked away, "Forget it." Spinning on his heel, the secretary stalked off, trying in vain to ignore both his own red face and the laughter of the servants and officials passing through the hallway.

With a groan Takara forced the thoughts from his mind. Rubbing a hand over his face, he climbed from his bed, wrapping a robe around himself to keep out the cool night air. Reclining in the chaise beside the room's picture window, Takara sat and watched the sky as clouds hid the moon from sight, only to bare it again a few minutes later.

When a servant came to wake him a few hours later, he was still on the chaise, his head resting on his folded arms, his legs tucked up beneath him.