Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ love overcomes all ❯ Love overcomes all ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The chirping of the birds woke me up. I turned to my side and open my eyes. Shigure's peaceful sleeping face came into my view. How boyish he looks when he was sleeping. I lifted up my hand to brush away his fringe. How I hope time will stop at this moment and that this moment will last forever. Yet deep down inside I knew it was impossible.
 
Yuki and Kyou will be back from the main house today. Time where Shigure and I can spend together is ending soon. This realization stung me. It hurts just to think of it. How I hope in my dreams every time that we no longer need to hide our relationship, that we can shout out loud to the world that we are in love, that I no longer need to desperately hide our relationship from Kyou, Yuki, Uo, and Hana. Having to lie to them hurts me a lot. Especially every time when I lied to them, they do believe in me true hearted. Yet this is another impossible dream of mine.
 
Kyou and Yuki's feeling towards me makes me unbearable to reveal our relationship to them. I know they care a lot about me and I know I am one very lucky girl. Yet, I had used all my heart, time, and spirit to love Shigure. I have no space left for them. Sometimes I really hated my self for being so selfish. Here I am receiving care and love from them but instead of returning their feelings I even lied to them. Sometimes I really despise myself.
 
Akito. Ah, another reason for us hiding our relationship. We can't bear the consequences of Akito knowing about our relationship. At least not for now. Shigure once told me when it comes to protecting me from Akito's harm, he is willing to make our relationship a secret. He is willing to act as if he did not care about me in front of others when what he really wants is to hold me tight and tell me how he love me. His words arched my heart. I knew how he felt because I understand the pain and helplessness of hiding.
 
Our relationship started 3 months ago. It all started on a weekend where Yuki and Kyou went to the main house to receive some sort of training. Thinking about it now, it is still so unbelievable that Shigure actually have feelings for me. Hah, I still remembered how my jaw dropped to the ground when I accidentally discovered one of his writings, which express his feelings towards me, and how my eyes nearly bulged out when he caught me holding that piece of paper.
 
All the while although I knew Yuki and Kyou treated me very well but don't know why I had always care much more for Shigure. Every time he teased me and got bitten up by Kyou or scolded by Yuki, I blushed and felt happy inside. Although I knew he was only joking and never serious. That's the reason why I choose to keep my feeling inside. I had been living with Shigure for two years and I found my self having little understanding towards him only. Although Shigure always looks cheerful, perverted and easy going yet I knew this was his barrier towards the others. He always shuts a wall around him from letting people to come a step closer to him. When you thought that you knew him well enough, you will realize actually you do not understand him at all.
 
When we confessed to each other and agreed to face all difficult outcomes of being in love together, he gave me a key. A key to open the door of the walls around him. I don't dare to claim that I understand him fully but after our relationship starts, I really do get to know him better. In the past, Shigure do not care about others but himself. He seldom explains to others about his decision or action. Yet after our relationship starts, he learns. He learns to care about me and think for me. He learns that he is no longer alone that he needs to consider each of his actions before his acts.
 
The love of mine for Shigure is beyond words. Therefore I made a vow in my heart, no matter how difficult it is to hide from my friends, no matter how pain it is to lie to my friends, I will overcome it because I love him so much that I can't bear any risk of losing him. I knew he suffered too for hiding our relationship from Yuki and Kyou. We lived in the same house yet he needs to act as if I was nothing but just a cute sweet housemate to him, so near yet so far. We tried our very best to obtain any chance of being together alone. When Kyou and Yuki announced that they would be away for a week, we were delighted. I felt bad for feeling so happy with the absence of Yuki and Kyou yet this is a great opportunity of our dreams. We stayed together every minute, not willing to waste the precious time we had together.
 
A sudden shift beside me brought my shattered thoughts back to the reality. I looked at Shigure and saw him looking at me gently. I leaned towards him and give him a morning kiss. After breaking the kiss, I sighed. He lifted up his hand and cupped my cheeks. His eyes questioning me what's wrong? I told him today was the day Yuki and Kyou will be home. Immediately the bright glimpse in his eyes disappeared, replaced by disappointment and sadness. Both of us knew the clock is tickling and Yuki And Kyou will be back any minute and we should leave that bed to change but none of us are willing to move. At last, I stood up and walked towards the bathroom to clean up and change. Closing the door behind me, clearly I heard Shigure's heavy sigh.
 
When I walked out of the bathroom he is no longer in the room. I knew he had gone to downstairs bathroom. I reached the living room and found him with his gray yukata sitting beside the table unfolding a newspaper. He look up at me and smiled. I manage to force a smile to him and turned towards to the kitchen. I did not look back. If I did I would have caught Shigure's abrupt change of facial expression, from happy to sad. Yes, both of us knew everything is going back to normal. Yes normal. In the morning, Shigure reading the newspaper and me preparing breakfast in the kitchen is considered normal to everyone. Me and Shigure lingering in the same bed in the morning is considered as abnormal. I sigh and start off preparing breakfast.
 
Suddenly a loud `pank' at the door noticed me the return of Kyou and Yuki. Although my mind is so unwilling to face them because this means I must face the reality but my body moved out of the kitchen and greeted, `Welcome home Kyou and Yuki. Nice to have both of you home.”
 
No matter what hardships we need to go through or what lies we need to make, as long as we can still love each other and be together in the same house, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters but Shigure's love and me.