Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Strange Visitors ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two
 
You were born with wings. Why prefer to crawl through life?
 
Rumi Santomono - Year 1972
 
The Horse
 
Strange Visitors
 
“Hope we don't have to share rooms…” Eriko groaned in the back after fifteen minutes of driving.
 
“We're not even there and you're still complaining, relax, Sunmei said that Shigure-san has three sixteen-year-olds at his house at the current time, you should be fine.” Sarah explained to the two sisters. Eriko pretended not to have heard that as she continued staring out of the window. The buildings and houses began to slowly lessen as more wooded area came into view. The Sohma House was probably further away than she expected.
 
“I wonder if they're nice?” Yuri wondered aloud.
 
Who cares, Eriko thought as the car slowed.
 
“We're here, and that must be Shigure.” Dikatou said as they parked their car near a bigger house than theirs. Eriko hid her shock as she got out with her things, Yuri did the same and followed Sarah up to the door with Dikatou shyly with her things. Eriko sighed and hurried after them.
 
“Arigatou Shigure-san for taking them in for the next few days,” Dikatou began. Eriko spotted the novelist, he was as tall as her father with a dark blue shade of hair, brown eyes, and he was wearing a very homey tan kimono. Eriko instantly thought that he was quite the slob. (She has no idea how much of a slob he is!)
 
“No problem! Sunmei already told me how long you'll be gone and the two girls names!”
 
Shigure's World
 
High school girls! High school girls! All for me! High school Girls!
 
Return to Reality
 
He's giving off the stench of mischief, I definetely know he'll be trouble, Eriko thought. Shigure asked if Sarah and Dikatou would come in, they refused, saying they needed to hurry to the airport for their flight. Yuri kept quiet as usual and waved good-bye as they drove away.
 
“All right, Yuri and Eriko right?” Shigure asked as he slid the door closed behind them. Eriko smelled riceballs recently rolled in soy sauce. Yuri nodded since Eriko wasn't listening, she was probably over the fact that she's in the same house with her favorite novelist. “Well, the rooms are up stairs, pick any one of them you would like except for the first three, you can pick either the left two rooms on the right or the last room on the right or my room!” Shigure said, Eriko caught that.
 
“What was the last one?” Yuri asked, before he could answer, Eriko's paralyzing glare stopped him in his tracks.
 
“Last room on the right,” he repeated nervously, trying to sound cheerful at the same time. Than Eriko followed her sister up the stairs.
 
“Yo! Tohru-” a rough voice shouted from the first room they were approaching, the owner of the voice walked out of it and bumped into Yuri, for some reason, Eriko heard Shigure gasp down the stairs, she turned her head quickly enough to spot him scratching the back of his head.
 
The boy was slightly taller than Eriko with orange hair and short bangs, and an unsual red toned eye color, while he was shouting Eriko could have sworn he had fangs! He was wearing a white T-shirt and brown, baggy Jeans with pockets.
 
“Watch where you're going!” he shouted at Yuri while she was apologizing like the world was ending.
 
“You bumped into her!” Eriko shouted back, getting in front of Yuri and giving the boy one of her infamous heated glares, he glared back. Black fox ears sprouted from her head and a black tail bristled behind her. Same thing happened to the boy, except he had orange cat features.
 
“Yes Kyo? Oh! They're here!” a girl from downstairs cried as she hurried up the stairs. “Hello, my name is Tohru Honda, and this is Kyo.” The girl said, she had brown hair held back with a couple of blue ribbons. She wore an apron over her blue blouse and skirt. Eriko and Kyo didn't seem to have heard her as they continued their death glares.
 
“Nice to meet you, my name is Yuri and this my younger sister, Eriko.” Yuri said shyly.
 
“Nice to meet you too, I wonder where Yuki is though?” Tohru said.
 
“I'm right here, hearing a different voice shouting instead of that baka-neko my curiosity overwhelmed me.” A boy said from behind Tohru. He had the same gray shade as Yuri that had hair go over his ears but got shorter towards the back of his head, his bangs went down to his violet eyes. He wore a white long-sleeve with red stitching at the top and black pants.
 
“This is Yuki, Yuki, this is Yuri and Eriko.” Tohru said for the eighteen-year-old, Yuri smiled back shyly.
 
“So Eriko-chan was the one I heard?” Yuki asked, Tohru nodded. “Well Kyo, nothing better than a dose of your own medicine don't you agree?”
 
“Shut up you damn rat!” Kyo shouted, still in heated battle of wills against Eriko.
 
“Let's leave them, need any help in the kitchen Miss Honda?” Yuki asked, turning his attention to the two girls.
 
“Sure, why don't you help as well Yuri. Know how to cook?” Tohru asked cheerfully.
 
“I'm pretty good with ramen.” She answered.
 
“Really? Well come on!” Tohru said cheerfully as she led Yuki and Yuri down the stairs. Shigure was already gone to who knows where.
 
It wasn't till an hour later when dinner was ready (Tohru and Yuri had to correct all of Yuki's mess-ups) that Shigure had to hurry up stairs to fetch Eriko and Kyo; whom were still in glaring mode. But he hurried back down the stairs after getting a glare that held enough emotion to tell him to back off till there was a winner.
 
“Are they still at it?” Yuki asked as the four of them sat down and began eating. Kyo and Eriko's supper still on the counter in the kitchen.
 
“Yes, what a shame, those beautiful eyes of young Eriko will be forever burned with hatred if it continues,” Shigure said in a sing-song tone.
 
“If she's anything like Kyo than we're going to have more than broken doors here.” Yuki said gravely, Shigure and Tohru sighed. Yuri was downright confused but kept her mouth shut so she wouldn't be impolite.
 
“So, how long will you be staying here?” Yuki asked Yuri politely.
 
“About five days I think,” she answered.
 
“More time with the lovely ladies excellent!” Shigure said even though he knew they were already staying that long, Yuki glared at Shigure, knowing what those thoughts of his were showing him.
 
To Eriko and Kyo
 
He's going to have to give in some time! Eriko thought about fifteen minutes later after Shigure left them. Kyo didn't seem ready to give in either.
 
Back to the others
 
“Do you think we should bring them their dinner?” Tohru asked Yuri as they washed the dishes.
 
“Oh! Well, I don't know how long my younger sister will do without a evening meal.” Yuri admitted, “I suppose we can risk giving them their meals.” Tohru smiled than looked back at the dishes she was washing.
 
“Did you see it too?” Yuki asked Shigure in a low voice, they were in the other room where Yuri and Tohru were out of ear-shot. Shigure nodded gravely. “What could it mean?”
 
“I don't know, but I think Akito should know.” Shigure said.
 
“No, don't tell him right now. He already knows two girls are in this house along with Tohru Honda, if he learns that we don't transform when they touch us like Eriko did than there's bound to be something he'll do.” Yuki said quickly, Shigure sighed and agreed.
 
“Well, at least we know those beautiful girls will be out of his dangerous path of doom till they leave us forever probably!” Shigure said in a sing-song voice.
 
“You could at least act a bit more serious,” Yuki growled, “Since we can't let Akito know, neither can we tell anyone that sees him daily, that includes Hatori and Kureno.”
 
“You take the fun out of everything!” the Dog whined.
 
“The fun out of pain? Or the fun out of terror?” Yuki asked, Shigure shut his mouth quickly and looked around for something else to talk about; Yuki sighed.
 
“I'm going to my room,” he said as he headed for the stairs.
 
“Be careful! Kyo and Eriko are still at it!” Shigure warned as Yuki began walking up the stairs.
 
“Could you two give it a break?” Yuki asked as he approached the two sixteen-year-olds.
 
“It's none of your damn buisness! So buzz off!” Kyo shouted at him.
 
“You know, I'm getting real tired of your stupidity.” Yuki said, Kyo jerked his head towards him, and just when Eriko was about to announce that she won Kyo shot Yuki a fast punch. After a series of several hits and kicks, Yuki eventually kicked Kyo in the stomach and sent him flying into the wall. Eriko just stared.
 
These two don't get along well huh? She asked herself as she heard two other people scurry up the stairs. This place will be a constant chatterbox, great…
 
“Kyo, are you okay?” Tohru asked when she appeared next to Eriko. Yuri was holding Eriko's dinner, as Tohru was holding Kyo's.
 
“I'm just fine!” Kyo growled as he sprang up to his feet, he winced a bit but recovered quickly.
 
“Oh well, than I brought up your dinner! Yuri brought up yours Eriko-chan!” Tohru said happily as she rushed over to Kyo to hand him his dinner. Yuri did the same to Eriko.
 
“Could you at least try to lighten up here?” Yuri asked her little sister somewhat brightly, Eriko shot her a light glare. Someday you're going to have to warm up to somebody Eriko, otherwise you'll end up running away and dieing alone like the Fox generations before you…
 
“I'm going to bed, night.” Eriko said as she headed towards her room, Yuki followed and went into his own room after saying good-night to Yuri and Tohru.
 
“Are you sure you'll be okay?” Yuri asked Kyo, Tohru ran over to the acme of the stairs to reassure Shigure that the Rat and Cat hadn't broken anything.
 
“I'm fine!” Kyo shouted. She didn't back away though and smiled softly.
 
“All right, that's all I needed to know. But, why don't you and Yuki-kun get along well?” she asked him, Kyo was about to open his mouth till Tohru approached.
 
“I think it's time for us to go to bed, I'll see you two in the morning!” Tohru said cheerfully.
 
“Well, than that's my que. Good night Kyo-kun,” Yuri said sweetly as she walked out of the room after Tohru to her room. Kyo cursed under his breath as he went into his room, hiding a smile.
 
It's the Fox!
 
She's `his' spy, she must be spying on us to report to `him'!
 
Would she really do that?
 
She didn't want to be part of the Zodiac in the first place remember?
 
So the legend is correct?
 
Of course! The Fox thought she was too good for us and refused the `God's' offer!
 
In her sleep, Eriko had beads of sweat emerge from her forehead, they ran down the side of her face as she clenched her teeth together. Several shadowy people frowned horribly as they made constant insults of the Fox.
 
More horrible than the Cat…
 
I'm surprised it wasn't the Fox whom tricked the Cat, the Rat doesn't seem to be the kind…
 
Yes, I agree, the Fox is much more easier to believe of such trickery!
 
But the truth is the Rat did it…
 
But the Fox was given the option, and she refused…
 
She is not apart of us, nor is she like the Cat, she is the only one to ever be so close to `God' than any of us!
 
She is different…
 
She is a cut-throat…
 
She should be lynched for her stupidty…
 
Eriko jerked awake by a sudden noise, she realized she was panting and her sheets were horribly tangled with her slender limbs and her hairs was sprawled out everywhere.
 
“Are you awake Eriko-chan? Breakfast is on the table?” it was Tohru, she had no idea how thankful Eriko was. If she hadn't woken her up at that moment she would have probably have seen something she never wanted to see or worse…
 
“I'm up Honda, I'll be down later, I'm not hungry…” Eriko said as she continued to lay in her futon. She heard Tohru sigh than scurry away and down the stairs, Eriko was happy she decided to leave, but was grateful for her good timing.
 
All my life, the only people to ever know of my true title are those of the Holiday Zodiac and my mother, father, and my older sister, Yuri. I wonder what would happen if I ever met the head of my family who is also cursed? Probably never, generations of the Fox before me always ran away into the wilderness before even thinking of facing the clan head, I will have to run away some day too…to get away from the pain and of `him'…but why must I have to run away? Why must others judge me because of the Fox who refused the offer? If I could have a say, I would say that the Fox had the right to say no to that offer and the right to say yes, to have the right to say my opinions, but the Fox has no place in the world where it can say whatever it wants freely… Eriko thought as her mind soared with grief and agony.
 
But maybe I can…make my own place to say what I wish, but how?
 
With Shigure, Yuki, Kyo, Tohru, and Yuri
 
“Will she be all right? I don't know if she ate her dinner last night?” Tohru asked Yuri.
 
“It'll be all right, it may not look it, but her matebolism is quite the slow worker, if she did eat her dinner last night there's no need to worry. And besides, she can go on for at least two days without food or water.” Yuri explained lightly.
 
“Wow really?” Tohru asked, “Was she starving at the end of those two days?”
 
“No, not really but she had to eat something to keep up her energy, but by the end of the day she would have been starving if she didn't eat lunch.” Yuri answered.
 
“So she can survive two days living off one meal?” Yuki asked curiously.
 
“Yes, strange I know.” Yuri admitted, it was because Eriko was the Fox that kept her going. Because of the Fox's strange dissappearances, no one knows how long one lives after they run away. But since the Fox was never part of any zodiac truly, it doesn't have that much of the curse on her shoulders. But of course there were thoughts of the pain inflicted on the Fox that could have made her life shorter.
 
“Quite the girl I shall admit, if I tried that I would die within an hour!” Shigure said.
 
We can't even imagine you not eating, Yuki and Kyo thought at the same time.
 
“Well, she doesn't try not to eat, she just has…” Yuri paused for a moment, looking for the right words probably, Yuki, Kyo, Tohru, and Shigure looked at one another questionly. “…she just has a lot on her mind.”
 
I wonder what was with that pause? Tohru thought as Yuri began eating again. It's as if she's hiding something…
 
What she's hiding might have to do with Kyo not transforming yesterday, Shigure thought.
 
I wonder what could be troubling her? Yuki thought as they ate the rest of their breakfast in silence.
 
Back in Eriko's room, she had decided to try and get up. But morning was never kind to her. When terms started again, she would have to get back to getting used to waking up at five since her Nervous system had to have an hour to warm up so she could move. It was the curse that did this, every time she woke up, she couldn't move anything, only her eyes and mouth. That's all.
 
She wobbled over to the suitcase and decided to wear a light blue sweat and skin-tight white Jeans. By the time she got dressed she quickly brushed her hair and put it up in a ponytail like usual.
 
“Hey Eriko, can I come in?” it was Yuri, Eriko answered with an `all right'. When Yuri entered, she heard someone else walk up the stairs. With one look at Eriko and spotting Tohru and Yuki walking up the stairs she immediately closed the door. Eriko found the problem when something nipped at her ear. Great…
 
“What are you doing Yuri?” Tohru asked.
 
“Oh well…I-I erm…” she stuttered, the Elephant was horrible at lying, it didn't take a genius to figure that out.
 
“What's Eriko doing?” Yuki finally asked. The number of foxes grew in her room, it was a disaster whenever they appeared, the foxes that came to her unexpectedly usually become aggressive to anyone who came near her and were easily provoked. Yuri had been bitten several times, and so had her classmates when they appeared in class and her parents.
 
“She's…ugh…well, you see…” Yuri continued to stutter to avoid having Eriko seen. Eriko may have been indifferent to people, but when it came to her beloved foxes, there's no telling what she would do when something warned to harm them. She looked at the window, no, it was on the second floor and foxes had no landing reflexes, and the only door out was the one to enter and exit her room, there was no way she could get them out. But how they came in was always a mystery to her…
 
“Is she okay?” Tohru asked, Eriko heard the door rattle. Yuri seemed to be giving in.
 
No, don't! Eriko thought, they couldn't know who she was, even if they had no idea what she was.
 
KNOCK! KNOCK! It was the door, what an odd time for a visitor. All well, at least Yuki and Tohru hurried down the stairs to get it.
 
“Tohru!” a cheerufl voice shouted. “Me and Haru decided to invite you, Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure to the Zoo!”
 
“Wow! Really Momiji?” Tohru asked excitedly.
 
“Of course, Hatori will drive right?” Yuki asked.
 
“Yep!”
 
“Well, at least we know we won't go off the road.” Yuki sighed.
 
“Well, come on, let's go!”
 
“Now?” Tohru asked, surprised. Eriko shrugged it off, at least they didn't have to go anywhere.
 
“Well, we have some friends staying here. Do you mind if they come?” Tohru asked.
 
“You have people here? How old are they? Where are they? Who are they?” the boy named Momiji asked, not even Eriko could speak that fast in one breath.
 
“I'm one of them,” it was Yuri, she left her protective post!
 
Where the heck am I suppose to put these guys! She thought frantically as she looked around.
 
“This is Yuri Sanotomono and her sister is up stairs, Eriko!” Tohru called up, Eriko currently than found a hiding place for the foxes than went down the stairs in a bored kind of way. “And this is Eriko Sanotomono,”
 
“Hi! My name is Momiji Sohma! And behind me is Hatsuharu, you can call him Haru if you want.” Momiji said, he looked like he was in elementry school with blonde hair and brown eyes, he had a German accent kind of too.
 
“I'll go get Kyo and Shigure and see if they want to go.” Tohru said excitedly as she hurried away to find the two Sohmas.
 
Eriko spotted Haru and finally got to scan him, he had white hair with black…roots? That was strange, but Eriko reminded herself of her fox problems and pushed it aside, than the number of accessories he wore caught her attention too.
 
“They said yes!” Tohru said cheerfully as she came back into view with Kyo behind her, Shigure came into view too, carrying all six of their coats.
 
Where did he get our coats? Yuri and Eriko thought at the same time.
 
“Here you go, now let's hurry.” Shigure said as they headed out the door. It was a strange sight, for some reason,all the boys went into the back and the three girls had to sit in the middle with Yuri in the middle between Eriko and Tohru since she would transform if she got too close.
 
“This is Hatori Sohma if you haven't guessed yet. The two girls are Yuri and Eriko Sanotomono.” Shigure said. Hatori looked at the two girls from the driver's seat.
 
“Are you two related to Sunmei Santomono?” he asked as he started up the engine.
 
“Yes,” Yuri answered shyly.
 
As they drove away, as clever and as cunning as the foxes were, the foxes within Eriko's room eventually got out soon after they departed…