Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Tiger Message ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven
 
You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back.
 
Barbara De Sohma - Year 1914
 
The Tiger
 
Tiger Message
 
The Sohmas, Sanotomonos, and Tohru pranced around in the newly repaired Sohma House. Shigure was back in his office (Which Eriko discovered as she examined the work), Yuki, Yuri, and Tohru hung around in the kitchen mostly, Kyo was either up on the iced roof or in his room, and Eriko was usually just lounging about reading a book.
 
“I didn't know you could read,” she heard Kyo say from behind her. Eriko was on her stomach reading some book her sister gave to her before they left the house.
 
“No Kyo, I'm simply staring at the pictures (If there were any),” Eriko grumbled back in a dull tone.
 
“I meant I've never seen you read! I didn't know you enjoyed reading is all!” Kyo shouted before he exited the room.
 
Eriko had woken up that morning in her bed, and knew instantly Kyo had carried her upstairs since she smelled him slightly on her. She had to admit it, she was growing fonder of the boy every time she saw him, but tomorrow she was going home. The problem was, she didn't know if she wanted to leave or not.
 
It seemed that this place WAS home, it smelled right, and it felt right, it simply just was right. Downright homey! Arguing with someone did seem to cool her down, or in Yuri's words, warm her up. And having others smile at you without knowing what you truly were astounded her slightly. She pondered onto what they would think of her being possessed by a black fox…
 
“What are you thinking about?” Eriko looked up; it seemed that Yuri found a way to open her door without her ears catching it. But Yuri always had her ways of doing things, Eriko often thought it depended on the conditions.
 
“About tomorrow,” Eriko answered as she went back to reading.
 
“I get the feeling you don't want to leave, but I have an idea.” Yuri said, Eriko looked up at her curiously. She smiled as she sat next to her sister. “Most Japanese people don't celebrate Christmas, but since it's a few days before New Years Eve, I think it would be a good idea if we invite the Sohmas over, you know? Shigure, Yuki, Tohru, Hatori if he can, Hatsuharu, Momiji, and Kyo-”
 
“If you shut your mouth now I'm might make your death quick,” Eriko said as she continued to read the book.
 
“Ah, so there is something to him than, you like him,” Yuri said calmly with a small sly smile.
 
“Don't smile like that, it doesn't suit you at all.” Eriko growled as she saw her sister's actions out of the corner of her eye.
 
“Sorry Eriko-chan, but maybe we should invite them for Christmas, we have plenty of room. And Mother and Father will agree I'm sure since they love company, and we can explain to them what Christmas is exactly.” Yuri said, than corrected herself quickly. “I can explain to them I mean,”
 
“Sure,” Eriko said, “Now can you leave so I can continue reading, you're starting to bore me.” Eriko growled. Yuri smiled.
 
“I'm sure to explain what mistletoe is as well,” Yuri added before shutting the door behind, fast enough to avoid a piercing glare from her sister. This Christmas was for sure to be her most worst of days yet.
 
“So, do you think you can come if our parents agree?” Yuri asked Shigure after explaining to him and the others what Christmas was.
 
“I don't see what crime it would be if we did,” Shigure answered.
 
“Than it's settled, we'll be at your house next week!” Tohru cried happily, Yuki smiled. Kyo was sighing heavily.
 
I still don't get something, how does a stupid plant make people kiss? Kyo wondered absently from the top of the stairs. Yuri promptly explained to them every tradition that was held on Christmas, and it seemed that mistletoe was one of them.
 
“As long as you don't mention that you were there before they got home than it's fine,” Kyo jumped as he than noticed Eriko next to him. “I prefer to have that a complete secret, and than there needs to be another room for Shigure…”
 
“Yes, where would I sleep?” Shigure asked.
 
“The couch,” Kyo, Yuki, and Eriko chanted, Shigure (fake) wept.
 
“Do you eat American food on Christmas?” Eriko heard Tohru asked Yuri down the stairs as she decided to go back to her room.
 
“Sure do, but we sometimes eat Japanese, Chinese, -” Yuri continued to list of all the tradition foods, having Shigure drool slightly from an eager gut.
 
It's impossible to get away from the noise…Eriko mentally growled. She lay down on her bed and looked up at the ceiling. Yuri's words were rebounding from one side of her skull, to the other, as if unsure which part to stick to. I get the feeling you don't want to leave… Eriko growled this time aloud, as if she had a choice, she would have to leave this life sometime, there was no stopping fate.
 
Ah, so there is something to him… Eriko couldn't help but think those words a few times over and over, she couldn't explain it, but the boy did make her feel welcome in a strange and extremely warm way. A small flapping of butterfly wings did hum in her stomach slightly when she was near him, but what it meant was unanswered. How could she explain that feeling when she didn't even understand what it was… you like him… maybe that was it, she had feelings for that temperamental orange head. But what feelings?
 
A small tap began to sound near her left ear; she ignored it and continued to think.
 
I have never felt such a light feeling in my life, no one has ever made me feel safe. The way my fate goes gave me the odd feeling I could never like anyone, the only way I ever used the word was when I silently thought I liked something like cream puffs and thunder rice. But to like a person is different I suppose… she thought, the tapping continued,
 
Maybe I should ask Yuri… Eriko remembered when her sister often talked about this boy at school that everyone thought was hot. Eriko knew better than to ask Yuri if he even knew her, no such luck, she's so quiet she didn't think anyone thought she existed in the school. Maybe I should…oh damn it! What is that- Eriko turned to look at the window that was next to her bed. “…sound…?” it took all her strength and will not to jump and scream. It was just my second cousin from my mother's side, Kaede Santomono.
 
“What the hell are you doing here?” Eriko asked quietly, as she slid open her window and let the girl in. The girl had long dark orange hair back in two braids that just went over her shoulders and laid on her chest, her bangs were separated slightly to reveal her forehead. She was only thirteen with large, golden-brown eyes and light skin. She was wearing a red sweater with a white skirt that went down to her knees. Her socks were white and high with boots on.
 
“To see you…” she said, as she took off her boots. Eriko hid them in her baggage. Kaede was the Tiger of the Zodiac, she's usually very troublesome, and talks her mind. But when she gets quiet, it means something had happened, something that shouldn't have happened. The Tiger's occupation in the Zodiac was to sense the unhappiness in people's souls, thus, know what to say to the right people.
 
“What happened?” Eriko asked, not sounding concerned as the girl sat on her futon.
 
“It's Mei, she came down with an illness…” Kaede answered, she lived in the Sanotomono Estate about more than ten miles away from Eriko's and Yuri's home. Mei was the mute of the Sanotomono clan, and the Mistress of the Sanotomono family. She obviously can't speak up for herself, but as from what Dikatou told her, she was a very bright and intelligent girl in her late teens.
 
“What is being done?” Eriko asked Kaede, Kaede shuffled her feet and sighed.
 
“They're not sure, Aunt Kita said they would await for her to wake up than write what she wants to be done.” Kaede explained.
 
“Is she that ill?”
 
“Afraid so,” Kaede answered solemnly. Kaede and Mei were like sisters, the way it sounded to Eriko though. But living together since they were young, Eriko thought her guess was pretty accurate.
 
“Don't worry,” Kaede looked up at her, her eyes glinting. “But now that you're here, you might as well stay. Does anyone know you're here?” Eriko had to ask, knowing the answered perfectly. Kaede shook her head with a successful glitter in her eye. She knew as much, Kaede isn't one to reveal her destinations, Eriko just hoped she had enough sense to at leave a note.
 
“How long were you gone from the Estate? And how did you get here?” Eriko asked.
 
“About four days,” she answered, Eriko sweat-dropped. Aunt Kita, their aunt and Mei's mother, had probably already had the police searching for her with a missing file report.
 
“Kaede…” Eriko sighed heavily. Than she walked to her door and opened it, she slid it shut with a `stay here' command and hurried down the stairs, where Yuri was still talking to Yuki, Tohru, Shigure, and Kyo. Eriko hurried up to her ear and whispered.
 
“Kaede's here,” she said in a quick whispered, Yuri was shocked for a moment and had stopped talking.
 
“Something the matter Yuri?” Yuki asked.
 
“Oh! No-”
 
“Do you have anything good to eat here?” They all spun around to see Kaede searching the kitchen.
 
“KAEDE!” Yuri cried.
 
“WHO THE HELL ARE YOU!?!” Kyo shouted at the same time. Shigure, Yuki, and Tohru just stared at the girl.
 
“The name's Kaede Sanotomono, now back to the subject, where's your food?” Kaede asked as she scooted some boxes over.
 
“What does it matter to you?” Kyo asked, his cat features bristling.
 
“Because she's hungry,” Eriko answered.
 
“I wasn't asking you!”
 
“Kaede, how long have you been gone?” Yuri asked, trying to keep herself come obviously.
 
“About four days from the estate,” she answered as she finally found some rice ingredients and turned to the riceball maker.
 
“Gross! You probably didn't even have a bath either!” Kyo blurted out; it sounded a lot like Haru to them.
 
"Nope," she replied.
 
“You're going to need to call Aunt Kita, and take a bath…” Yuri said in a hope-I-don't-offend-you tone.
 
“I know I know, but can't I at least put something in my stomach first, it's been four days,” Kaede said as the riceball maker began to steam slightly.
 
“How could you have gotten through four days without food?” Yuki asked innocently.
 
“Slow digestive system,” she answered, the Sohmas and Tohru looked at either Eriko or Yuri.
 
“Is that genetic?” they asked in unison. Yuri and Eriko knew full well that they were talking about the slow metabolism Eriko had.
 
“Not sure,” Yuri answered.
 
“Not much makes sense in our family.” Eriko stated plainly.
 
We noticed… Shigure, Yuki, and Kyo thought.
 
“Anyway Shigure-san, can she stay here till we can have someone from the estate come and get her?” Yuri asked.
 
“ESTATE!?!” Kyo shouted, he obviously hadn't heard it the first time.
 
“Erm…yes,” Yuri answered.
 
“You're such an idiot,” Eriko said as she leaned against the wall. “But she can stay in Yuri's room if it's okay with you Shigure,”
 
“Of course she can stay, in fact, it would be nice to know where she is.” Shigure said, Yuri and Eriko looked at the kitchen. There was an empty plate with small grains of rice scattered on it. Eriko sighed, Kaede ate already, and by her scent, she was already upstairs roaming her suitcase since her clothes were small enough to fit her.
 
“She's upstairs getting ready to take a shower,” Eriko said. They all stared at her, except Yuri, they didn't even see her leave the room, nor see her pack the rice together or even eat!
 
“Do you have any washcloths!?!” they heard Kaede shout.
 
It wasn't till evening that everyone was used to the Tiger in the house. After the shower Tohru put her clothes in the washer. She had Yuri put her hair up in two pigtails this time in white ribbons. Shigure declared she was adorable, just not as adorably cuddly as Kisa was with Tohru.
 
“What are we having for dinner?” she asked Tohru down in the kitchen. Kyo was gone again, Eriko guessed it was the roof. Yuki was out at the table and watching TV, Shigure was in his office, and Yuri was calling Aunt Kita.
 
“We're having nira-tama! (A dish with leeks and eggs)” Tohru answered, Kaede immediately responded with a happy statement.
 
“Wow! You don't even know me and you're already making my favorite dish! You're even better than the estate's cooks!” Kaede shot into immediate compliments before Yuri strolled into the kitchen.
 
“Aunt Kita will be picking you up tomorrow morning Kaede-chan,” Yuri said with a smile.
 
“Oh! Just when I was having fun,” Kaede pouted.
 
“But think about Mei-chan,” Yuri pointed out with another one of her infamous soft smiles. Tohru didn't know who Mei was, but she decided to be silent and continue cooking. “She's in that big lonely estate all by her lonesome, and sick in bed. She needs someone who's not scared to approach her, and of course someone who's not afraid to speak his or her own mind.”
 
“Of course you're referring to me eh?” Kaede asked.
 
“Of course,” Yuri said.
 
“Oh all right, I am the best Tiger on the planet now am I?” Kaede smiled. This, Tohru caught.
 
“Tiger?” Tohru said.
 
“Oh! Yeah! She's so frisky at times that people call her a Tiger so she's nicknamed Tiger!” Yuri said quickly.
 
“How cute!” Tohru exclaimed as she began to put the food into separate bowls.
 
“Another fine and grand meal Tohru-kun,” Shigure complimented as he rubbed his full stomach.
 
“…” Eriko and Kyo remained silent as the others discussed of their further plans.
 
“Ever heard of a snowman?” Yuri asked, since Kaede was completely Japanese, she too was new to English customs and listened to every word that poured out of her cousin's mouth. “And that's how you make a snowman,”
 
“Sounds fun!” Tohru cried.
 
“Indeed,” Yuki added.
 
“Do you think we can make a snowtiger?” Kaede asked.
 
“Yep, oh yeah! You can come next week too!” Yuri said quickly as she began to explain their Christmas party, but Kaede only shook her lightly with a smile.
 
“I don't think I'll go, I want to be with Mei,” She needs a friend now than ever… Kaede thought.
 
“Yes yes, I understand.” Yuri reassured, Kaede smiled. It was so nice, for Yuri to see her smiling without a hint of mischief in neither her eyes nor her grin.
 
Sometime in the middle of the night…
 
“DON'T YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DAMN BED TO SLEEP IN!!” Kyo shouted, waking up the whole house.
 
“Oh sorry about that Kyo-kun! She tends to walk in her sleep,” Yuri explained.
 
“Than she should have wandered into my bed,” Shigure stated, Kaede fully awake and understood him and slapped him.
 
“You deserved that,” Yuki and Kyo said.