Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Where The Heart Is ❯ Those Drifting Thoughts ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
--RAWR-- MISTAKE ANNOUNCEMENT! And apology and a present for having taken such a long time.
--hiss--

I JUST realized that I got it wrong! The times and ages and shat in the movie! Whoever said that Al was 17 stinks! He’s only 13! Someone lied to me…--sad face--

So my entire time chart is screwy…T.T and that means I’ve had all you readers confused to an extent. I guess I’ll be sticking to the movie ages again….I’m sorry if I’ve confused anyone! (Not that ages matter much) But I’ve already gone back and fixed the timeline so it’ all good there. Check out chapter 3 for more in-fo-mation.

Well, ANYWAY, I’m presenting a DOUBLE CHAPTER WHAMMY! Woot! How often do I do that? (Never, apparently.) So expect Chapter 7 up by tomorrow or the day after, because I’m cool that way…(And have had a long 6 hour trip with nothing but me, a computer, a library of music, and some very beautiful scenery…) So, enough of that.

Chapter 6


Those Drifting Thoughts


--Which You Cannot Fathom
--------------------------------

Amethyst.

While he reveled in her image, the startling distinction between the flesh and memory became clear as he processed the girl’s emotionally torn face.

The difference was not at all what had surprised him. Alfons, after all, shared neither eye color or hair color with Edward’s younger brother. It was more the hateful expressions carried in her eyes as he relayed the name of his old friend to her.

Winry!

The crowded streets offered nothing but obstacles for him, he collided with various venders and pedestrians without his usual apology.

He didn’t dare stop, for fear of losing her.

Winry…

For once, this world had given him the chance for him to interact with something other then his brother’s haunting face. For once, he was given the chance to see her.

Minutes passed until he caught site of striking blonde hair again. He saw the figure turn a corner sharply, and noticed, with an unsteady heartbeat, amethyst eyes once again.

The stretch of road he was on had dwindled by means of it’s pedestrian population, he noticed with relief. He made an effort to catch up to her, even though his prosthetic leg had begun to pain him.

Her form had turned down a narrow alleyway by the time he reached the corner she had turned on.

Upon freeing himself of the street, he looked through the murky, humid passage he assured himself he had seen her enter.

Only a decayed brick wall on his opposite met his vision.
-------

(Ishbal, 1919)

The smaller truck sat sheltered among the many larger vehicles surrounding it.

Rose and Al had left the officers a while ago, leaving only them to wander through the dock until Rick and Leo’s post could be located.

Within minutes they arrived at a smaller truck sat parked behind a few of the larger ones, the drape covering it’s back end strung to the vehicle itself, preventing the wind from having control over it, but causing it to bulge in the middle where the wind was trying to force it‘s way through. The two wandered without much caution around the side of the truck, Alphonse leading.

He reached his left hand up to grab a hold of the knotted drape, but Rose had grabbed at his right hand hastily. With a soft tug, she pulled him away from the truck and he was left standing in curious surprise at the silent command.

“What is it?” He started, but Rose quickly rushed a finger to her lips. Grabbing his hand, she slowly bent down to her knees, signaling for him to do the same.

When he had followed the action, she finally let out a long breath she seemed to have held for a long time.

“It’s nothing. I just need to tell you something.” Alphonse, anxious and curious, didn’t have the patience to wait for Rose to give him a tiring speech about how to assist Rick and Leo and such, but he forced himself to pay attention as he withheld a sigh.

“Alphonse.” She stated flatly, “You don’t remember Rick and Leo, but it’s very possible that they’ll remember you.”

Alphonse nodded with uncertainty, not expecting this kind of conversation.

“That’s why you have to act as though you know nothing of alchemy or Ishbal. You’re here helping me out, and that was your sole intention for coming. Ok?” He nodded again.

“Since they know the old Alphonse, if we use your name they might begin to suspect something, and we don’t want the military angry with us for causing a commotion over what happened, especially here.”

Alphonse was all ears now, growing grave as he relayed the seriousness of the possibility if he was ever discovered to be in his human body.

“A temporary name like ‘Alex’ should do. Plus, it’s fun to switch a name, it’s not like you’ll ever get to again.”

He couldn’t help but smile at the situation. A peculiar sense of anticipation had swelled over his other emotions; he was eager to leap at the chance to even encounter something of his forgotten four years with his brother.

“Ok.” He added in.

Rose’s smile brightened as she mentally took a picture of Alphonse’s expression.

His old smile was back again.

A loud crash from within the truck drew their attention.

“Rick! Be more careful next time!” A muffled voice said, frustration clinging to every word. As the truck bounced slightly from whatever the crash had been, it wiggled more as someone bounded down the lift attached to the back end of the vehicle.

Rose immediately identified the someone as Leo, and put a smile on as she and Al turned to greet the Ishbalan boy. He didn’t see them at a first glance, but took a two-take as he recognized Rose.

“Rose?” He asked, seeming confused and surprised.

“Leo! I’m glad I caught you!” She stood slightly taller then the now mid-teenaged boy, and he looked at her with a welcoming smile as his confusion dwindled down. Rose stood enough to the side so that Leo could clearly see Alphonse behind her, and his curiosity again broke his previous expression.

“I thought you were up at the school, Rose” His statement was flat, but his eyes signaled a question.

“I was, but I got a call from Winry and next thing I knew I had a friend of hers to meet at the next train arrival.” She paused for a second, and then turned to Alphonse with an open hand gesture. “Leo, I’d like you to meet Alex. As I said before, he‘s a friend of Winry’s, and she must have told him all about Ishbal’s situation, seeing as how he was so eager to help out.” She had plastered a joyful demeanor over her troubled one, Al noticed, as she signaled for him to chime in.

“Hello.” Alphonse piped in, coming to Rose’s side as he pasted a similar expression on his face.

“Oh, Hey.” Leo’s smile and open countenance made Alphonse ease a bit.

“I heard how unfortunate it was in Ishbal, and I begged Rose to let me help out a bit.” Alphonse, unsure of what to say, patted himself on the back for thinking of something in such a strained period of time.

“Thanks, we could always use the extra help around here. It gets hectic too easily.” Leo looked hectic himself. He had a white tank top throw on, but it was now covered with splotches of wet sand and dirt. He rubbed an arm across his forehead as he spoke.

“Leo. What do I do with this?” A peculiar voice tipped Alphonse’s ears to the lift as the three turned to greet the sight of, whom Leo immediately dubbed, ‘Rick’.

“Leave it there, Rick, we have visitors.”

“Wha--oh, Hey, Rose.” Rick poked his head out from the side of the truck, looking to tired too jump or walk down the lift, and seeming as startled as his brother at Rose’s presence.

Rose didn’t respond to Rick with much more then a polite smile. “I told him you guys would be here and that he could help with whatever you‘re doing, if that‘s all right.” She directed the half-question to Leo.

“Well, we’re not in charge of this entire area, but if you’ve asked whoever is then I sure don’t mind.” His smile, aided with a curious one from Rick, made Alphonse finally let slip his paranoia for the discovery of his startling transformation. He felt as if, for once, he was in a decently normal situation.

Rose departed with a quick wave to the three boys as she hurried off, Alphonse didn’t see what the rush was about, and felt slightly uncomfortable being dumped with two brothers he barely knew, not to mention a profile he had to keep low.

“Hm.” Leo half-grunted.

“It’s not to much trouble, is it? Rose kind of left without letting you finish the question.”

“Of course not. It’s not babysitting or anything. How old are you anyway?”

“Uh…” Alphonse felt an tremor in Rose’ plan. She hadn’t mentioned his age factor. He didn’t have much time to contemplate whether he should lie or nor. So he went with that first thing that popped into his mind.
“13.” It was his true age, but he didn’t recall Rose mentioning how he should disguise that too, aside from that, he didn’t feel he looked anything older then 13 either.

“Oh, well I’m 15, and Rick is 12. So we’re not all that far apart in age.”

“Hold on a second…” Rick had found his way into the conversation, and he put a finger to his chin in thought. “You’re friends with Winry, right?” His excitement was immanent as he waited for Al to finalize the rhetorical answer.

“Yes…” It almost slipped out a question, but Alphonse had caught himself in time.

“Then you might know Ed and Al, right? How are they doing?”

If it wasn’t for the peculiar crash atop of the truck, Alphonse might have cracked Rose’s and the Military’s carefully constructed plans right there and then.

Alphonse shot his attention to where he had heard the crack.

“What the--” Leo almost finished the statement as his eyes found where the sound had come from. Rick stifled a gasp.

None of them remembered there being such a large hole ripped open on the truck’s covered top.
-----

(Germany, 1923)

Alfons had adopted a bench hidden away from all the bustle to take a small peek at the newspaper before Edward returned. He was still not used to the boy’s sudden and urgent ways, but he didn’t want to waste much energy worrying himself over Edward’s abrupt need to rush after the girl.

He opened the paper and began skimming over articles that sparked his interest. Before even finishing his first paragraph, a shadow soon stood over the paper.

He looked up, without much surprise, to see Edward, whom was now reaching down to grab the groceries, in a noticeable haste to leave.

“What happened?” Alfons asked with curiosity.

“Nothing.” Edward soon noticed the lone, out of place book beside the groceries as he bent to drop a bag on the bench, enabling a hand to examine the book further.

“What’s this?”

Alfons, shrugging as he rose from his seat, answered.

“I’m not sure. She dropped it and ran off before I got the chance to give it to her.” He folded the paper up and tucked it underneath his arm, grabbing the bag Edward had placed down as he walked without another word away from the boy, slightly angered by the entire situation.

Edward picked the overturned book up, not paying mind to Alfon’s departure. He flipped the book over in his hand and processed the title.

He didn’t drop it in surprise, or let his eyes widen as he usually would. He simply processed the thought, and let some color drain from his face.

It was the exact same book Amara had had on her bookshelf, the book on Alchemy.
----

DOUBLE-CLIFFY, but a short chapter, nonetheless.

Yeah, I thought it would be fun to test that out. But it’s not like I’ll solve those mysteries in the next chapter, nope, cuz life’s never easy that way. You’ll have to wait till MUCH later until I explain the connections and such. Though, 'Alex’s' little ‘something fell on the truck, holy shhhhhiittt’ situation is an easy one to figure out, for me, at least. Well, I guess you won’t have to wait long until 7, eh?

Hey, ya’ll. Be sure to check out my little One-shot Demolition as well!

And wow, I switched back 3 times in this chappy, eh? That’s a new one.

I was listening to Canta Per Me while writing this Chapter too…gosh, I’ve listened to that song like 80 BILLION TIMES! It’s slowly driving me crazy, but I love it so much. It’s like an addictive. You want to hear more, but you’re getting a big ass headache. It’s not fun, but yet you SING ALONG!!! --giggle--

--------------

With love,

~An Angel’s Wings