Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ A New Ally(1) ❯ Ch. 1: Shadows From The Past ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Ok, this is my first GW fanfic so please be kind!
Please review it means a lot to me! Depending on what kind of reviews I get on this will determine whether or not I submit the next chapter. For disclaimer, see end of page.
Now, on with the story!

A New Ally (1) Ch. 1: Shadows From The Past

Many more events happened before and after the assassination of Mike Franklin, but this is where the story really begins:

-Year A.C. 195-

"Ms. Shadows! There is an unidentified space craft in the area, but they are too far away to get a visual." Mr. Katz, the pilot of the L7 colony-owned shuttle said, turning towards the Colony Official. The young, light-brown haired Colony Official glanced at him out of the corner of one gray-blue eye.

"It's probably a White Fang group." Ms. Natalya Shadows, the Colony Official, said from her seat in the co-pilot's chair. "Get them on the line and tell them to identify themselves. And inform them that I will be heading over to their shuttle as soon as it is close enough." She looked up from the clipboard she was holding with the shuttle numbers that they were supposed to check that day. Glancing past Mr. Katz at the screen, she saw a shuttle coming into view, as it got closer to their shuttle. Mr. Katz nodded and hit a few buttons connecting the line between the two shuttles.

"Attention, you are entering the territory of the L7 Colony. Discard your weapons at once. We will be sending our official over to your spacecraft." Mr. Katz announced before he disconnected the line.

"I'll be right back." Natalya said as she stood up from her seat. She floated out the sliding door behind their seats that lead out of the cockpit.

A few minutes later, Natalya floated back through the sliding door. She was clad in a flight suit and carried her helmet under one arm. She looked out the window at the shuttle that was now in front of them. The hatch of the other shuttle had opened.

"Open the hatch." The girl instructed before she floated back out the sliding air lock door. She grasped the tow bar and it pulled her over to the door of the cargo hold. Pushing the button beside the door, she waited as it slid to the side, allowing her to drift through.

The door slid shut behind her and she pulled on her helmet. She floated past two white, Taurus mobile suits sitting side by side in the vast cargo hold, glanced at them briefly, then waited for the hatch to open.

'Some of the other colonies won't stand a chance if they're attacked, they barely have any armaments, and no mobile suits whatsoever.' She thought to herself. 'At least we have various mobile suits on our colony if they are ever needed as a defense. Natalya thought to herself.

Just then, the hatch opened and she pushed off towards the other spacecraft.

Once Natalya reached the open hatch of the other shuttle, she floated in and the hatch closed behind her. Several large objects covered with canvas tarps immediately caught her attention.

'Mobile suits?' She inquired in her head as she lifted the flap on one.

"A Gundam!" Natalya exclaimed. She pushed away from the mobile suit quickly, as though it were hot. "Who ARE these people?"

The young girl floated towards the sliding door leading to the front of the spacecraft. She watched as it slid open before she drifted through it. The door slid shut behind her. She looked up to find a woman who looked oddly familiar standing before her.

The young woman looked a mere five years older than Natalya. Her hair was cut short, with long, nearly black bangs hanging in her face, shadowing her blue eyes. Upon further inspection, Natalya estimated the woman to be half a foot taller than herself, yet had the same slender looking figure.

"Are you the pilot of this spacecraft?" Natalya asked, taking off her helmet and holding it under one arm.

"Yes, my name is Lucrezia Noin." The young woman said, extending her hand. Natalya shook her hand and furrowed her brow.

"Lucrezia Noin...? I've heard of you before." Natalya said, letting go of her hand.

"I did not know I was mentioned very often." Noin replied.

"Well, I am not sure how often you are mentioned. I heard about you from my father."

"Your father? Hey, aren't you the Foreign Minister, Tayeari's daughter?" Noin asked, studying the younger girl.

"Yes I'm Natalya Tayeari-Shadows, the Colony Official. Why?" Natalya asked.

"No reason really. It's a pleasure to meet you." Noin said with a slight bow. Natalya nodded and bowed her head to return the respect.

"Is the official here?" A male voice inquired whilst stepping out from behind Noin. Natalya blinked quickly. A shocked look spread across her face as she looked at the young man.

He looked to be about Natalya's age and was a few inches taller than her. He had a chestnut braid that was approximately a meter long, and blue eyes that looked almost violet in the light of the hallway. The young girl recognized the boy instantly as Duo Maxwell.

"Duo?" Natalya questioned. She dropped her helmet to the floor as she pushed off swiftly, floating past Noin and up to him. Stopping directly in front of him, she studied him with an odd expression.

"Hey...Aly." Duo said simply, a confused, yet amused look spreading on his face.

"You're alive..." Natalya said, a disbelieving frown crossing her face.

The boy did not respond. Guilt crossed his features upon seeing the girl frown.

"Hey Noin, is the official from L7 here?"

Duo and Natayla both looked up to see the newly arrived person. For the second time that day, Natalya felt her brain freeze in shock.

Standing beside Noin was a young boy with short, platinum locks hanging in his bright blue eyes. Behind him was another boy Natalya did not recognize, leaning against the wall silently.

Unlike the first boy, his expression was not nearly as light. His one, visible blue-green eye, under his very long, medium brown bangs seemed far away and sad. Natalya wondered why the taller boy seemed so depressed.

The blonde boy was the first to speak. His mouth had fallen open in silent surprise as he studied Natalya closely.

"Aly? Are you the L7 Official?" The blonde boy asked after overcoming his initial shock.

"Yes. I came here to inspect the shuttle." Natalya responded. The blonde boy drifted closer to stand directly in front of her, beside Duo.

"How did you become the Colony Official?" Quatre asked, trying to break the silence and settle his blossoming curiosity.

"A while after you disappeared, my father became the new colony leader. Not long after, he decided to stick me with Colony Official duties." Natalya explained.

"But I thought your father was still the Foreign Minister...? How does he have time to fills both positions of the Foreign Minister and the Colony Leader?" Quatre asked.

"Back before Vice-Foreign Minister Dorlain died, he was not really needed much as the Foreign Minister. But now that the Vice-Foreign Minister is gone, my father will be resigning from his position as Colony Leader and return to his duties as Foreign Minister. It is just taking longer than expected to put his replacement in office." Natalya replied. Quatre nodded, accepting her answer.

"I can't believe you two know each other." Duo mumbled. Quatre and Natalya both turned to examine the long-haired boy.

"You know her too?" Quatre asked, his surprise clearly presented in his expression.

"Yes. I have not seen her for years." Duo replied.

"I thought after...what had happened on L2 you had died as well." Natalya said, her expression turning dark and sorrowful.

The room was heavy with silence. Noin, sensing the discomfort, wanted to speak up, but was unsure what to say.

"I hate to interrupt...but, what areas of the shuttle do you need to inspect Ms. Shadows?" The boy leaning against the wall finally asked.

Snapping back to her official state of mind, Natalya considered her duties at hand.

"Do who pilots the gundams in the cargo hold?" The young girl asked to the three four others in the room.

Noin looked at the three teens in the room with a concerned look on her face. They all seemed to have been holding a wordless discussion.

"The three of us do; Trowa, Quatre and I." Duo replied after some time.

"You do?" Aly's eyebrows raised in surprise. Quatre and Duo fidgeted nervously while the boy against the wall, Trowa, and Noin remained stationary.

"That's why you left isn't it?" Natalya asked Quatre, referring to when she had found out about his disappearance.

The blonde boy nodded once, unsure if he should explain more.

"I wonder why my father never told me." Natalya frowned.

"What do you mean?" Duo asked.

"I was supposed to join up with other gundam pilots... It makes no sense that my father did not tell me you two were among them." Aly said thoughtfully.

"Join? You mean you are a gundam pilot!?" Duo asked incredulously. Natalya noticed that the boy against the wall had tensed.

"Yeah, I was supposed to pilot a prototype for a gundam called the 'Wing Zero', but something went wrong...the factory was destroyed." Aly replied, a frown crossing her face.

"Well that's good. That gundam is evil." Quatre said gravely.

"So I've heard." Natalya replied.

"If you are a pilot, why have we never heard of you before?" Trowa asked, narrowing his visible eye at the shorter girl.

"I said I was supposed to be a pilot. Not that I was one." Natalya replied, returning the boy's hard stare.

Lowering her gaze, Natalya noticed her watch and frowned again.

"I have to get back to my shuttle now. I came over here because I thought this might have been a White Fang spacecraft...I will write the report off as a simple cargo shuttle." Natalya said. She picked up her helmet from where she'd dropped it beside Noin.

The girl knew there were many things she still wanted to discuss with Duo and Quatre, but she did not have the time or the heart to do so. Her mind reasoned that it was perhaps for the best if there were things she did not know. It was hard enough knowing that three of the five rebel gundam pilots were standing before her at that moment. And, harder still knowing that two of them had once been friends of hers.

"Thank you." Quatre said when no one else responded. With a nod, the girl drifted towards the sliding door leading out to the cargo hold.

Once outside of the sliding door, Natalya drifted downwards, and out towards the open hatch. Using the thrusters of her space pack, she propelled herself to the open hatch of her own spacecraft.

The girl landed inside the cargo hold of her own spacecraft and kept going until she had reached the door connecting to the front of the shuttle. She leaned her back against the wall and slid into a sitting position.

With a shaky breath, she pulled her helmet off and set it beside herself. She brought her knees up towards her chest and wrapped her arms loosely around her legs, laying her chin on her knees.

It had been a long time since she had seen Duo or Quatre. And, she had not even allowed herself to say goodbye the either of them. In spite of herself, she wondered what they were thinking at that moment.

"Ms. Shadows?"

Natalya looked up to see Adam Katz, the pilot of the shuttle, standing in front of her.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yeah I'm fine. And don't be formal around me Adam. Just because we work together doesn't mean you have to be so damn formal." Natalya replied.

"Sorry Aly. I guess I keep forgetting." Adam said with a sheepish grin. Natalya did not respond. She stood up and picked up her helmet, following Adam as he returned to the cockpit of the shuttle.

"Your father is on the line. He wants to speak to you." Adam said when the pair had reached the cockpit.

Natalya drifted over to the screen and pressed a few buttons.

"Yes?" She asked as a middle-aged man with dark brown hair and dark blue eyes appeared on the screen. The man smiled when he saw his daughter.

"Did you inspect the unidentified spacecraft and speak to the pilot?" Natalya's father, Foreign Minister Tayeari, inquired.

"Yes, I spoke with the pilot."

"And was it a White Fang craft?"

"No, nothing like that."

"Was it a gundam?" Foreign Minister Tayeari asked with a slightly quirked eyebrow. Natalya started to answer, then hesitated. She noticed an OZ soldier was standing behind her father, reading something in a manila folder.

'I can't tell my father that the gundam pilots are here, not with an OZ soldier standing right behind him. Maybe not even if the OZ member wasn't there. It's just too big of a risk, even though my father is on their side... OZ could get the information from him.' Natalya rationalized in her mind.

"No it was just someone in the salvage business from the L2 colony." Natalya replied.

"But the L2 colony is in the other direction." Her father pointed out.

"Yes I know. He was heading to pick up some things on a different colony."

"Very well. I need you to return to the colony. You need to work on the I.A. Project."

"But I haven't gotten to Earth to pick up those documents like you asked."

"I know, but White Fang is getting more persistent."

"I understand." Natalya said softly. She turned off the screen and cut the connection before falling into her seat. Adam turned the shuttle around, heading back towards the L7 colony.

While Adam piloted the shuttle back to L7, Natalya drifted away, towards the sliding door leading out of the cockpit. Outside the door, she grasped a tow bar and was pulled slowly down the hallway.

A door slid shut behind Natalya as she stepped into the short hallway and pushed off again, floating out another sliding door at the end of it. She had entered a small room.

In front of the girl stood another door leading into the cargo hold. To her left and right were two tall, metallic cases with glass windows. She drifted towards one of the cases and looked through the glass at the contents.

There was a row of midnight blue flight suits hanging side by side and a matching helmet above each one on a shelf that was the same silvery, metallic color as the case. The girl pushed a button on the end closest to the door to the cargo hold and the glass slid down. She took off her flight suit and hung it in its reserved space. Picking up her helmet from where she had set it on the floor, she placed it above her flight suit on the shelf.

Natalya studied her flight suit sitting in its own little space, the one second closest to the door to the cargo hold. It had the initials N. S. T. above the colony symbol of a silver sun with a silvery-blue crescent moon inside of it. She fingered the part that held the colony symbol and thought for a moment.

Natalya let go of her flight suit and pushed the button next to the glass case. The glass slid back up. She looked down at her outfit consisting of a pair of khaki cargo pants and a long-sleeved black t-shirt bearing the colony symbol on the upper left corner of the front as well as the back. She smoothed out a wrinkle in her shirt and pushed off towards the door leading back towards the cockpit.

Once back inside the cockpit, Natalya returned to her seat beside Adam. She leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes while she waited for their arrival on L7.

It was not until a beeping sound from the main console of the shuttle sounded that Natalya realized she had fallen asleep. Opening her eyes, she looked at the screen in front of Adam and herself and noticed that they were entering the colony.

'Welcome home...' Natalya thought.

-End Of Chapter 1-

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or its characters in any way shape or form. I do however own Aly, Adam Katz, and Foreign Minister Tayeari.


More Author's Notes: This fanfic has many added characters and A.C. 195 is a bit AU, so if you don't like that kinda fic don't continue to read this one! Oh, and on a side note-yes, there will be more than just one additional pilot. However, they aren't gonna show up right away. Besides, it makes things so much more interesting that way! Any additional questions or comments you don't want to put in the reviews send them to Aly_Rain_ZZ@yahoo.com
Well, please tell me what you think! Domo arigato!
-AlyRain