Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Behind Closed Doors ❯ 1: the quiet room ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

1: the quiet room

It is an ordinary room. Ordinary not in so much as it is like every other room, because it is not. Not even because those who reside here are ordinary people. Some would not go so far as to call them human. It is just ordinary, as in four walls, empty space and vessels devoid of any sign of life besides breath. Blank, unfeeling, white-washed walls. Ordinary and nothing special.

In the centre of the room is a bed, and on the far side is a set of heavy black drapes. They hide the window; hide the door. They are the walls between time and memory; a guard against the knowing and the giving in. Somewhere between the bed and the black waterfall of heavy material is a lone figure. It's not tall, not short, just mediocre, ordinary height. Blank features give what might have been a beautiful face a blank cast that echoes the atrophy of the mind. Behind glass-like eyes is a one track mind, bent toward a single task.

On the floor between the knees sits a laptop. Its light is the only life to enhance the room. All else is dark and hard. Harsh, yet ordinary. In the corner of the screen blinks a light and the eyes blink with it, watching, mechanical in their obsession.

Feet patter their way to the doorway, but do not enter. Eyes equally empty, equally ordinary sweep the room, finding nothing but knowing a shadow hulks behind the mass of the bed. They don't speak, don't exchange pleasantries. There are better things to do. Like sit, and wait, and maybe...pray.

Heero Yuy looks up at the doorway in time to see a small whisp of black silk disappear from sight. He blinks, still in time with the computer, then turns back to the screen. The flat surface crosses another city off the list, and continues on...ever searching.

Always waiting. It's an ordinary room. A quiet room.