Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Need To Say Goodbye ❯ Don't Need To Say Goodbye ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Don't Need To Say Goodbye

~AIC

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing.

Author Note: Okay folks, I have returned! After a long period of no fanfiction writing (I went through a weird phase where I only wrote original stuff because I'd never be able to publish fanfiction, etc.) I decided to come back! This borrows some plot ideas from a very old Non/Zechs story I wrote two years ago... when I was like twelve... *,*;; hehehe. Mostly it's all new though, and I like what I've done so far. ^_^ Well, without further prattle and meaningless stuff that you probably aren't reading... without further adieu...

I HAVE WASTED PRECIOUS MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE THAT YOU WILL

*NEVER*

GET BACK!!! MUHAAHAAHAAHAAAAAA!!!

*Ahem*...Yes. I now present... "Don't Need To Say Goodbye"

"...normal..." indicates speech

"...Italics..." indicates dreams or thoughts

--"...Italics..."-- indicates flashbacks

~*~ indicates change of scene or character

*** indicates change of scene within a flashback

"What are you doing? Zechs!" Pale hands groped for, found, and latched tightly onto lean, muscled shoulders. Her strong fingers curled almost painfully onto the material of the long beige trench coat, whirring the taller man around to face her. Lucretia's stormy, midnight-plum eyes glared up at him, foggy with moisture.

The taller man bowed his head, long strands of platinum blond falling gracefully over his shoulders in a waterfall of moonlight. Eyes that were the distinct shade of blurred ice mixed with cornflower blue met her gaze, his hard expression softening.

"Zechs... what are you doing..." Her voce was softer, shaky. She almost melted at the expression he wore now, the only thing holding her up his hands, which had moved to her shoulders. He pushed her back softly, his intense gaze locked on her eyes. He dropped one hand to his waist, gripping the gun, and lifting it to her chest.

The stricken gaze of his former friend and comrade stared up at him, realization finally dawning in her wide, dark eyes. Her eyes seem far to dark for her pale face as he cocked the gun, finger tightening on the trigger.

She didn't say anything, just looked at him, silent tears slipping down her soft face. She closed her eyes and waited. She could almost feel the coldness in his soul, the uncaring emptiness, the...

...hesitation?

The only sound was the heavy thud of the gun hitting the steel floor, and his echoing footsteps as he strode away from her.

Then there was nothing.

~*~

Milliardo Peacecraft's eyes shot open, staring blankly at the ceiling of the Gundam Epyon's cockpit. He shifted, wincing as his blood-soaked clothing stretched against the garish wounds on his midsection. Glancing at the blank screen, he sighed painfully, groaning, and lay back with his eyes closed tightly.

The dead Gundam Epyon had been floating in space for three days, and though its pilot had not sustained mortal wounds, they'd been left untreated. Epyon could no longer fight, much less travel. The communications system was down and wouldn't work unless someone else contacted him first. Also, if he tried to start it up he knew that it would probably explode... or the stress would rupture the cockpit. And he wasn't wearing a space suit. He was just lucky that the oxygen recycler had not been damaged.

Wetting his lips, he whispered softly, "So... this is the end..." I should have listened to her. She only wanted to help me. But then, she always had. His breathing ragged and forced, the prince of the Sanc Kingdom slipped away into the darkness of sleep once more.

~*~

"Ugh..." Noin moaned in exasperation as she slammed one balled fist against the thick metal of the computer. She'd been sifting through the battle wreckage for days, her hope diminishing with each new view of death, though never leaving her completely. Her stomach growled painfully and she remembered how long it'd been since she'd eaten. Standing, she stretched her stiff joints, her tired eyes sweeping around the small cabin of the empty transport cruiser. She'd been all but living here, barely taking time to sleep and eat, as the dark spaces under her eyes showed. She went back to grab a sandwich out of the cooler, running a hand through her ebony locks. As she ate, she punched a few keys on the main computer, setting the cruiser on autopilot while she took a shower.

As the steamy warm water flowed over her, Lucretia closed her eyes, letting the dusty memories come out from shadows around the edges of her consciousness. The monotony of the flight and watching the vid screens usually kept her mind occupied enough to keep them at bay, but now there was nothing to stop them.

~*~

--"Noin. Get out of the way."

Lucretia's white Taurus suit had moved up to block the Gundam Epyon, and her face appeared on the vid screen. Her expression was pained, though determined. Her mind was made up.

"Zechs... I don't want to fight you..." Her voice was heavy with emotion, her hands gripping the controls so tightly that her knuckles bleached white against already light skin.

"Noin. Pull back." His voice was the same as always, dark and emotionless.

"I won't, Zechs. Even if you kill me..." He could see the tears in her eyes, though she didn't allow them to fall.

"Noin?!" His voice was incredulous, the hand of his mobile suit gripping the beam sword. He lifted it slightly, threateningly. Perhaps he could bluff her. He lifted the sword higher, striking position.

"Zechs..." She closed her eyes, awaiting the killing stroke.

She could almost feel the coldness in his soul, the uncaring emptiness, the...

...hesitation?

Silent tears trickled from her eyes and the only sound was that of the boosters as he sped away.

"I don't understand! How can I be so spineless... how can I be so weak?!" Milliardo cursed himself. "So weak..."

She watched until he blinked out of sight. "Oh Zechs..."--

~*~

Lucretia Noin pulled her clothes on, patting her hair dry. She fisted her eyes to make sure there were no tears, like the memory usually brought. She tilted her head back in an attempt to quell the small drops that had welled up. It killed her that she'd had to choose between the one person she'd every truly loved and her hatred of war, her loyalty to the Earth. As she made her way back to the console, now dressed in a clean pair of jeans and a black tank top, another memory rose up in her mind.

~*~

--Zechs turned at the sound of creaking metal as Noin's white Taurus set down beside his Epyon. Her sigh was audible and he whispered softly, "Noin?"

She nodded, though he couldn't see her, and replied quietly, "Yes... it's me. I won't stand in your way any longer." There was a pause, as if she was considering whether or not to voice her next request. "Please, just let me stay here by your side..." Her voice was choked. It was hard for her to go against her beliefs for him. Yet she did.

Zechs remained silent for a few heavy moments, then turned Epyon to face the girl who loved him more than life itself. He murmured only, "Understood."--

~*~

Former OZ Lieutenant Lucretia Noin sat back and watched the vid screen as the various debris floated past. As the transport cruiser neared the place where Libra had been destroyed, she glanced around, searching the blackness of space for any kind of sign that her beloved Zechs Merquise may have left behind. Her eyes caught on a glimmer of crimson as the searchlight glanced off the remains of a red and black mobile suit. Her eyes widened and she immediately attempted to make contact.

~*~

"Zechs! Zechs, are you okay?"

Milliardo moaned softly as his body fought to awaken from its deadly slumber.

"Please! Zechs, answer me..."

He was suddenly aware of a freezing cold and he wrapped his arms around his body. He cried out softly in pain as the wound on his side sent pain lancing through him.

There was a pause as Noin heard the faint sound, then she said, "Zechs! I'll get you out. I'll save you."

"N... Noin... I..." His voice was weak and his eyes didn't open. He clung to her soft tone, hoping that this was real... hoping that he wasn't hallucinating, that this wasn't some cruel dream.

"Zechs!" She sighed in relief when she heard him, opening up the cargo door and guiding the cruiser to the damaged mobile suit. As soon as he was inside, she shut the door and hurried down to him, opening the cockpit. She gasped at what she saw.

Zechs hung there, restrained by the seat belt, strands of blood-crusted locks clinging to his face and neck. She quickly unbuckled him, catching him as he fell onto her. She carefully brought him to her quarters, laying him on the bed, and began to take off his jacket and undershirt. She brought one hand to her mouth in horror at what she saw. So much blood covered his lean torso, and she looked away, tears stinging her eyes.

"Noin..." Icy eyes opened the slightest bit, the same cornflower blue as his young sister's. She turned back to him, taking his hand.

"Let me help you..." She slowly took a warm sponge and began wiping down his chest and arms. He fell back into his dreamlike-state, though he wasn't worried about not waking up this time. Aside from minor cuts, the only wound was a slice in his side. Fortunately, he hadn't lost an incredible amount of blood, and the wound wasn't infected. She cleaned and bandaged him, bringing him clean clothes, which consisted of a t-shirt and a pair of jeans that she'd picked up earlier.

Milliardo was unconscious for about three hours, during which Noin washed his hair and bloodied clothes, even though they had been permanently stained crimson. Wiping her forehead with the back of her hand, Lucretia went back to the control room, sitting back in her chair. She leaned back, closing her eyes, which had already filled with tears. "Zechs... you're alive..." She drew her knees to her chest, sobbing silently, the relief overwhelming her as the days from lack of food and sleep finally caught up with her. She welcomed the exhausted darkness.

~*~

Milliardo awoke in a dark room, his eyes opening slowly. As his fuzzy vision cleared, the first things he saw were the fan above him, spinning almost silently, and the neat stack of clothes at his bedside. He winced as he slid out from under the standard-issue cotton sheets, pulling on his clothes slowly in an attempt to ease the pain that moving caused. As soon as he dressed, the blond-haired man made his way down the hall to the control room, stopping at the entrance. His eyes fell upon Noin's sleeping form, curled up on a chair. His eyebrows knit together.

"Noin, how can you sleep like that? It has to be uncomfortable." He went to her as she shifted in her sleep, pulling her up into his arms and carrying her to another room. He laid her down in bed, drawing the covers over her form. As he turned to leave, she reached out and grabbed his hand.

"Zechs..." She looked up at him, eyes heavy and tired.

He smiled down and her and kneeled. "Yes, Noin?"

She shook her head as if to clear it. She looked at him again. "What are you doing up? You should be resting." She moved to sit up, but he stopped her, his palms on her bare shoulders as he pushed her down.

"No, you sleep. You've done far too much already." He looked at her, perplexed, as tears built up again in her eyes. "Noin...?" He said softly in question.

She started crying softly. "They said you were dead... they had a funeral and... Zechs, I..." She bit her lip and turned her head away, hating herself for her weakness. She knew how Zechs viewed weak people. The shadows hid her face and she managed to calm her voice. "I missed you so much..."

He sighed, his hand straying to her face. He turned her head to face him, smiling kindly at her. "There is no need to cry, my dear Lucretia Noin. I am here now." He hugged his old friend, wincing at his own wound. She noticed.

"Zechs, are you okay?" She frowned, eyeing him disapprovingly --which looked fairly ridiculous on her tear streaked face-- and squeezed his hand almost painfully. "You need rest."

"So do you." He drew the covers up to her neck. "Sleep."

She sighed and closed her eyes. "Fine."

He waited until he was sure she was asleep, watching silently as the starlight spilled onto her already pale features, highlighting the tear trails. He reached down to thumb them away, his hand automatically resting there. He leaned down and kissed her forehead softly. My dear friend... the sacrifices you've made for me. I am eternally in your debt. He almost didn't want to leave.

~*~

A few days later, after they had returned to Earth and Zechs had settled himself in the guest room of Lucretia's villa, there was a knock at the door. Noin furrowed her eyebrows in concern. She lived in a small, antiquated town that no one really knew about, tucked away in the crest of sloping green hills. No one knew she lived here.

Zechs had gone to the store for food after complaining that he hadn't been outside for days, and after making him promise not to get lost or stress himself too much, she'd let him go. She made her way to the door, she glanced through the peephole... only to find that no one was there. Odd. She turned and walked back to the kitchen where she had been making dinner, tugging lightly at her shirt. It had always been small; it always bugged her the way it slid up, revealing her toned midriff. She sighed and stirred the soup, when she heard the knock again. She froze and reached for her gun, holding it ready. She had no reason to believe that it would be a threat, but... no one was at the door, and there were no children to around to play games like this. She looked out the peephole again and, upon seeing no one, she slowly opening the door. No one was there and she stepped out a few paces, glancing around the side of the house, a hand resting against the smooth, pale stones that it'd been built from. She sighed and turned around.

As she started walking back in, she let out a muffled scream as a strong arm hooked around her waist, a hand over her mouth. She struggled hard as her captor pulled her against a hard, muscled form, stopping suddenly at the feel of a blade pressed to her throat. At least her mouth was uncovered. He nudged her arm and she dropped the gun. He kicked it away.

"What do you want?" Her voice was calm, even though she wasn't, and her body didn't move.

There was only a soft, familiar laugh, and whatever was pressed to her neck fell to the ground. She glanced at it and cursed softly. A letter opener.

"Zechs, that was a mean trick." She pulled away, but he held her firmly, his fingers splayed against the bare skin of her midsection.

He chuckled softly. "It was a good lesson, though, Noin. You're getting rusty." His other hand moved around the front of her shoulders, beneath her neck, and she rested her chin on his forearm, a faint blush on her cheeks.

"I shouldn't have to worry about that. Soldier boy, the war is over... unless you haven't noticed." She grinned slightly and elbowed him in the ribs. "Now let go, or dinner will burn. And you're the one who has to eat it."

He seemed reluctant, but did as she said. "It's hard enough to eat your cooking as it is..." He muttered under his breath, but she heard anyway.

"What was that?" She glared and him and pushed him playfully. "I cook just fine!" She followed him as he went inside and moved to punch him. He turned to face her, at the same time stepping aside, and the force she put into it collided with air instead of his solid muscle, causing her to loose balance and fall. He caught and steadied her. She looked up at him.

Milliardo studied her face, his gaze straying to her lips, then back to her eyes. Abruptly, he let go of her and stepped back into the house. She followed, not entirely sure what had happened. Neither of them were.

~*~

Relena Peacecraft smiled to herself as she ran a delicately manicured fingertip over the gold-leafed banister of the grand staircase at the Peacecraft mansion. The almost unnoticeable highlights in her beige hair sparkled in the narrow moonbeams that streamed in through the skylight, which had been almost closed so that only a sliver of the more-than-half moon's glow lit the otherwise-dark interior. The room around it had been peppered with decorations: decorative draperies on the walls, disco balls hovering towards the ceiling, family crests of many pacifist nations portrayed in engravings that were affixed on the ceiling by a talented bit of carpentry. All in all, the room looked beautiful, with the deep bloody-mauve carpet rolled out from the staircase to a podium at the far end of the huge room. Tables were set up, for both groups and couples, and there was a large dance area set to the side, tapes with classical music sitting out, ready to be played. She had even gone so far as to sprinkle glitter dust all over the room, heaping piles of it in corners, trailing it along the carpet and staircase so that the whole room would glow and sparkle in the light of the full moon three days from then. The skylight was the whole ceiling, so the party members would truly be dancing under the stars. And, by the look of all that glitter dust, they may think they were dancing on a star itself.

Brushing a strand of hair from her eyes, the Peacecraft daughter smiled again. "It's perfect." She said softly.

A lone figure melted out of the shadows and came up beside her. "No," said a hushed monotone voice. "Not quite."

She didn't need to turn around to see who it was. Heero walked past her to the music table and fished through the records. He pulled out the one he was looking for and placed it on the old fashioned gramophone, setting it. After a few cackled responses, soft music started emanating from the old metal, dancing across the floor to her diamond-clad ears. She slowly fell into beat, waltzing with an invisible partner. Heero fell into step with her, one hand resting on her waist, the other taking her soft hand in his.

Remembering the first time they had ever danced together, Relena murmured softly, "So, Heero, you still gonna kill me...?"

A hint of a smile touched him and he brought her fingers to his lips. He said nothing, and she was content with that.

They danced silently; his eyes burned like sapphire coals into hers, the same intense gaze that would make even the strongest of fighters look away. But not her. Her eyes met his, warmth and love reflecting into them. He didn't understand why he saw what he did when he looked into her eyes... but then again, he didn't need to. Long after the music had stopped, they continued to dance to their own secret melody, with no one to bear witness but the light of the moon and a few solitary stars.

~*~

"Duo!" Hilde giggled as she pounced on him, straddling his stomach. He smirked up at her, cobalt eyes twinkling, his arms pillowing his head. She reached down and started tickling him and he laughed, flipping over and pinning her beneath him.

"Hey, no fair! You're stronger then me." She tried to tickle him again, but he pinned both of her wrists above her head with one large hand, his other moving to her stomach, dragging his fingertips across the smooth skin. She writhed beneath him.

"Heh, you were the one that started this." He smirked and leaned down, pressing his lips to her neck and blowing softly. She laughed out loud, leaned up, and bit his ear, tugging gently at the delicate flesh.

"Ow!" Duo growled softly and playfully nipped at her neck.

"Mmm... Duo!" She giggled and tried to push him off of her. "Anyway, I get to open the letter. It's addressed to both of us, but my name's first!"

His grip tightened on her as one arm snaked around her small body. "Yeah, but I've known Relena and Heero longer." He grinned and kissed her nose, then reached for the letter.

"Oh no, none of that sweet stuff." She smirked. "Unless I get to open it!"

He pouted pitifully. "That's not fair!" He growled and skimmed his lips along her jaw, the hand that was on her stomach slowly creeping northward.

"Ahem. I said, no sweet stuff." She tried to push him off again, but he held fast. She growled. He growled.

"It looks like an invitation." She had the small pink envelop in her hand and started running her thumbnail beneath the flap to open it.

"Hey, I never said you could open it!" The braided pilot reached for it, and Hilde grinned, grabbing the rope of hair. She pulled slightly, causing the boy to whimper. Her grin widened.

"What was that you said? I believe it was something along the lines of... 'My Goddess, of course you may open the letter as no one is more deserving then you.'?" She tugged on the braid in emphasis.

He whimpered and nodded. "I thought so." She rolled over onto her stomach, giggling as Duo moved on top of her, his arms sliding around her midsection. He trailed his lips along the bare skin that her worn tank top revealed. He looked over her slim shoulders at the unfurling letter.

It was written in red, loopy script that found a way to stand out against the pale pink parchment. Hilde read it aloud to Duo, fighting back the last of her giggles.

"'You are cordially invited...'" She broke off in another fit of laughed as calloused fingers massaged her sides after sneaking up beneath the material of her top. "Duo!" She elbowed him, tugging on his braid again.

"Oh fine..." he rolled his eyes and kissed along the nape of her neck. She started again.

"'You are cordially invited to the Sanc Kingdom, for the Post-War Pacifism Banquet.'" Hilde read. She giggled and elbowed Duo again as his hands started getting friendly.

"'It is to be held in the Peacecraft Mansion on the night of the full moon.'" More information as to the date and time was written, and Hilde set it aside as Duo flipped her onto her back. She smiled up at him

"Sounds fun! Do we get to dance?" She leaned up and nipped his nose.

"Babe, you know I can't dance very well..."

"Did I say I was gonna dance with you?" She grinned and squirmed out from under him.

He pulled her back, pinning her more firmly beneath him. "If you dance with anyone, you dance with me."

"Is that so?" She arched an ebony eyebrow at him.

"Yes."

"Prove it."

He proved it...

~*~

"Hmm."

Sun bronzed fingers slid over the pristine, unnaturally straight edge of the white envelope, index digit tapping the small pink rose sticker that sealed it shut. It was addressed to him in the distinguished penmanship of Miss Relena Peacecraft, and he sighed thoughtfully.

Perched on the shoulder of Nataku, Chang Wufei[1] of the Dragon clan silently read the invitation. He and Sally had each gotten a letter, and she had come over to his house to check on whether or not he was going. He lived up top a medium-sized mountain, preferring the solitude of the forest to the bustling town at the base of the mountain where Sally took up residence.

"You don't have to, but you really should. It could be fun." Sally looked up at him, brow raised. "You do know what that is, right?"

He gave her a pointed gaze, lids narrow slits over his dark obsidian eyes. "Very funny, woman." He sighed softly, studying the subtle coloring of the rose sticker. "I don't know if I'll attend..."

Sally looked up at him blankly, a small idea sparking in the depths of her feminine mind. Her face split into a wide grin and she said, "That's fine. After all, It isn't my fault that you can't dance."

The impervious gaze he threw at her ensured that he would indeed be in attendance. She smirked at her own cunning. It was so easy to get him to do things when it was a matter of pride. She hailed to him. "Come on. If you're going then you need to buy a suit... something other than what your wearing. You don't wear funny pants to a banquet."

"These are not 'funny pants'! They've been in my family for generations! You dishonor the Dragon clan!" He hissed.

"...You mean everyone has worn those..."

"No, woman. I meant the style."

"Ah." She laughed softly at him and he growled before jumping off Nataku's shoulder onto the cliff edge, making his way down to join her.

He muttered, "Idiot woman," and was promptly whacked in the back of the head. He growled. She grinned, chuckling softly.

~*~

Emerald intensity locked onto smiling pale aqua as the lengthy, navy sleeved arms slipped around the paler boy's waist, bleach-blonde quills of hair hanging in front of his eyes, mirroring the much longer and darker strings of Trowa's hair that brought to mind the eyes of a tiger crouching behind tall grasses. Quatre smiled widely, a faint, rosy hue coloring his cheeks. The wealthy heir to the Winner family and his gentle, silent soldier were currently in a tangle of arms and legs, resting on the plush chaise lounge in the tearoom of the Winner mansion. Trowa chuckled one of his soft, rare laughs --that had seemed to be coming more often lately-- at the shorter boy's embarrassment. Just as Trowa pressed his lips to the soft skin of the beautiful boy beneath him, there was a knock at the door.

"Master Quatre?" Rasid's deep, rumbling voice penetrated the thick oak door easily and Quatre suppressed a giggle as he gently pushed Trowa up into a sitting position, before taking his place beside him.

"Yes, Rasid. Come in." He smiled as his old friend and bodyguard entered the room, pink envelope in hand.

"Master Quatre, this letter arrived today from the Sanc Kingdom." Something imperceptible shifted in the older man's eyes as he noticed how close they were setting, and the way the Heavyarms Pilot's fingers rested on the back of his master's hand. He handed the letter to him and bowed slightly, dismissing himself.

As soon as he left, Quatre reached for Trowa again, but the dark haired boy stopped him, motioning to the letter. Quatre smiled and sighed, quickly opening it.

The two scanned the fancy script and Trowa murmured, "A party. Shall we attend?" He smiled faintly.

"Of course, dear Trowa." He set the letter aside and stretched out on the lounge, his head in Trowa's lap, eyes closed as fingers combed through his silky hair.

"You know, Rasid doesn't like me that much." The flutist said matter-of-factly.

"Oh?" Quatre opened an eye and regarded him curiously. "Why do you say that?"

Trowa shook his head. "He loves you."

Aqua pools widened in surprise and realization. Trowa could see the gears clicking behind his thoughts. The smaller boy's lips tried to form words, but no sound came out. He closed his eyes, formulated his thoughts, and opened them again, meeting zero three's eyes.

"He does." He finally managed, sighing as Trowa's fingers slid comfortingly through the blonde strands of hair.

There was a long pause. "So what am I gonna do? Pretend I don't know?"

Trowa only nodded.

"I hate living under false pretenses..."

"I know."

"Trowa?" He slid his arms up along his chest to his shoulders and leaned up slightly.

"Yes?" He cradled the boy's head in the crook of his arm.

"I love you." It was whisper, but Trowa had no problem hearing it. He leaned down and kissed the zero four pilot softly in answer.

~*~

The water splashed softly against the white, ceramic side of the large bathtub as Noin shifted her weight, scooting down slightly into a more comfortable position. Leaning her head back, she dunked it, soaking hair clinging to her face and neck as she surfaced, water ribboning down her face in small rivers. She cupped a small handful of bath bubbles and blew onto them, giggling softly as they took off into the air. Leaning back, she closed her eyes, ears perking just a bit a knock on the door.

"Hmm?" She asked, leaning up.

"Noin, it's me." After all these years, the sound of his voice still made something indefinite race through her body.

"Oh, do you need to use the bathroom? Hold on, I'll get out of the tub..." she said, reaching for her towel.

"No, that's okay. I didn't mean to disturb you. I only needed to grab the hairbrush." He said, turning away.

"Well, I have bubbles, so most of me's hidden." She grinned, and it reflected in her tone. "Besides, you've seen naked women before, right?"

In the military, it was a normal thing to see someone else unclothed. Many were injured fairly often, and to pass basic training, you needed to take a course with the nurses in the hospital. So of course you'd be stripping off clothes to clean away the blood and bandage the wounds.

Though she was sure he'd never seen her this naked.

He chuckled and opened the door slowly, careful not to look over at her. The drawer nearest him didn't have the sought-after brush, and he frowned. "Where is it?"

She looked over at him. "Dunno. Check the medical cabinet." The cabinet was above the sink, which was right next to the tub. He went over and opened it, pulling the brush out.

"Ah. Here we go." As he turned to go, Noin grabbed another handful of bubbles and threw them at him, a little water mixed in as well. It made a wet splat as it hit the back of his head. He stopped, turned to face her, and narrowed his eyes. She laughed at him.

He strode purposefully towards her over the five feet separating them, glaring down at her from his tall height. She blinked, tilting her head and he smirked, dropping to one knee and plunging his hands into the water, tickling her mercilessly, all modesty forgotten.

"AHH!!" She screamed, laughing out loud as his fingers dug into the pale skin of her sides. She writhed beneath him, her nails digging into his shoulders. He pinned her upper back against the slope on the end of the tub, tickling her until mirthful tears formed. "All I d-did was through b-bubbles at you!" She said between spurts of laughter.

He grinned, slowly withdrawing his hands from the water. "Serves you right." As he started to stand, she splashed him, soaking his sleeveless shirt and jeans. "Take that!"

Growling good-naturedly he grit his teeth at the challenge, fingers gripping her soft shoulders as a hand traveled down to tickle her again.

"No f-fair!" She tried doing the same to him, but he wasn't ticklish as far as she could tell. "Blast it!" She laughed and sat up, pushing against the side of the tub to propel her into him. They both landed with an 'Oof' on the bathroom carpet, her fingers working back along his spine, causing a burst of sudden, soft laughter to throw itself from his lips. He shot Lucretia a grin when she stopped, which she gladly returned. Suddenly her eyes widened and she blushed hotly, realizing that she was naked. Zechs looked at her, smiling softly.

"I didn't see anything." He murmured reassuringly. He grabbed the towel, draping it over her back. Since she was on top of him, her front was hidden from view, as it had been before. He really hadn't seen anything; though, strangely enough, he almost wished he had...

She nodded and put a hand over his eyes as she moved off of him, quickly wrapping the towel around her torso. She stood, pulling him up with her.

"I had no idea you were so ticklish." She sent him a grin, trying to lighten the awkward situation. She still had a fierce blush on her cheeks.

He only raised a brow and said, "My dear Noin, I don't think you should be talking..." He left with his hairbrush, her growling after him. She was so cute when she was angry, or embarrassed.

~*~

Tapping on the door, Noin heard a faint mumble and the shifting of bedclothes that accompanied low groan that men are so accustomed to early in the morning. When he didn't get up, she sighed and knocked again. The same result. She opened the door and stepped inside the guest room, sidestepping the pile of dirty clothes, and made her way to the bed to sit on the edge. She shook him slightly. "Zechs. Zechs, wake up." It was a whisper, but she suddenly thought of the absurdity. Why do people whisper to ones they are trying to wake up? She resumed her normal voice. "Zechs!"

He leaned up, startled, immediately reaching for the presumed threat--which happened to be Noin--and grabbed her shoulders, turning sharply and throwing her beneath him. He wasn't wearing a shirt, and his bare chest moved up and down in a quick rhythm. Noin stared up at him, blinking, and realized how close they were. He sighed softly in relief that it wasn't a real threat and let her up.

Ah. That's why you whisper. She laughed inwardly.

"Sorry about that, Noin..."

She slid off the bed and turned to him. "Old habits die hard, eh?" She smiled and said what'd she originally come to tell him. "Relena's having a party and I got an invite. I'll have to bring you... I wonder what she'll think when she finds out that you're alive..."

"You mean you haven't told her?!"

She blushed. "I kept it to myself..."

He laughed and pulled her to him, kissing her temple before letting her go. I always feel so... good around her. Like I'm not myself. Noin is just so... touchable. Everyone always has to laugh along with her..."You are very amusing, my dear. I only hope that my sister doesn't faint."

"If she does, Heero would catch her..." She answered with a matter-of-factness that unnerved him.

"What?!" he sputtered.

She blinked, then smiled slowly. "Since they are in love..."

He growled. Zechs never had been fond of the Wing pilot. Sure, he respected him... but there was definitely a difference. Sitting up, he leaned back against the headboard of the bed, the blankets falling to his waist. His chest was bare, and Noin reached out to touch him, her soft cool fingertips grazing his muscled skin, drifting down to gingerly brush against the gash in his side. He didn't wince or anything to show he was in pain, but she could tell by the way he drew his next breath that it did indeed hurt. She looked at him.

"I'm sorry..." She said softly, looked at him.

His eyes studied hers intently, the icy color gleaming in thought. "Why do you say that?"

"It took me so long to find you..." If it had taken her longer, he probably would have been dead.

He took her hand and looked at her. "You did find me, though." He smiled the slightest bit. "If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be alive right now."

She sighed and nodded. "Well, in any case, we need to find you a white tux."

"White?" He tilted his head slightly, a feral glint in his eyes. "Suppose I want black. Or blue."

"Then that, my friend, is your problem. You're wearing white." She smirked and stood.

He narrowed his eyes and pulled her back down. "No."

"You look good in white. And it's better then pink."

He stared at her in horror and said nothing else.

She smirked.

~*~

"Come on Woman, it can't be that bad."

Wufei stood just outside the Ladies' dressing rooms, more than a little cowed by the many dresses and feminine apparel surrounding him. Cutting nasty glances at the store personnel who occasionally looked his way, the young Shenlong pilot tapped his foot with avid impatience.

"I don't know..." She sighed and opened the vented wooden door, stepping into his view. "How do I look...?" The usually proud woman was unsure, and she looked over at the dark haired boy.

Eyes darker then solid onyx widened slightly in surprise, traveling over the silky twists of satin cloth. Sally Po was wearing a strapless, gold evening gown that clung to her every curve, unlike her baggy uniform clothing, and it fit her perfectly. Wufei had always known that her body was lean and toned, but he had never given much thought to her. The only reaction other then the widening of his eyes was the small, startled glint in their ebony depths.

"Well...?" She looked slightly nervous, smoothing the dress over her hips and thighs. She bent over to continue down to her lower legs, giving him a birds' eye view of her substantial cleavage. She straightened, awaiting an answer.

"You look good." He finally managed. She smiled and turned around to return to the dressing room, Wufei's eyes studying the graceful curve of her unclothed back. He wet his lips, which were suddenly dry, and sighed. Leaning back against the white washed wall, he brushed off his reaction. She really did look pretty, though, he allowed. More than pretty, his mind tried to add, though he didn't allow it.

~*~

Noin leaned the seat back, mumbling something about long car rides. Without opening her eyes, she said for about the third time, "I don't see why we have to drive there..."

Zechs looked over at her, smiling faintly in amusement. He reached back and grabbed a blanket, then draped it over her shoulders, tucking it around her neck. His eyes returned to the long road stretched before them, not another vehicle in sight. "I like driving. We fly often enough and sometimes it's nice just to sit back and enjoy the scenery."

"We've been driving for seven and a half hours. I haven't seen anything yet." They'd switched who drove every few hours or so. She stretched, then settled back into the seat.

"You will soon." If you don't fall asleep, he added mentally.

About twenty minutes later, they arrived at a moderately sized bed and breakfast, Zechs pulling up into the parking space. He leaned over and shook Lucretia awake. She blinked up at him, yawning.

"We there already...?" She murmured sleepily. He nodded, getting out of the car. Walking around to her side, he noted that she had fallen asleep again, and he went to check in to the hotel. Once he had returned with the keycard securely in his pocket, he opened the passenger door and reached in to gather Lucretia into his arms. Setting her on her feet, he lightly tapped her cheek.

"You going to walk, or must I carry you?" He raised a boyish eyebrow. She blushed faintly, too tired to realize or stop it, and leaned back against the car.

"No... I can get my bags." She stumbled over the words and turned to open the trunk. He stopped her.

"What kind of gentleman would I be then?" He murmured, smiling slightly. He grabbed the two suitcases and led the way to the room. After they'd taken two elevators and a flight of stairs, Zechs set the bags down on the bouncy red carpet and slide the keycard through the scanner of door number 394. Kicking the door open with a booted foot, he hefted the bags and walked into the spacey hotel room, dropping the luggage again and shedding his long trench coat. Noin stumbled in and kicked off her shoes, sparking a slightly amused glint in the eyes of Zechs Marquise as he watched her battle with her old army jacket--and appear to be losing. He chuckled softly and pulled it off her, then went to lay down. She nodded her thanks and dropped onto the semi-comfortable bed, not bother to burrow under the covers. She was asleep before she hit the mattress.

~*~

A soft groan and a small stream of fractured obscenities slipped from feminine lips as a gentle, calloused hand shook her shoulder.

"Mornin' Beautiful." Zechs said softly, teasingly, as Noin sat up with her hair tousled and disheveled, her clothes still on and severely wrinkled from her slumber. She glared up at him.

She muttered another obscenity. He chuckled and handed her a cup of coffee. She brought it to her lips, inhaling deeply of the rich fumes. "Oh God, Zechs, I love you." She muttered and drank deeply. He only grinned and shook his head.

Cup emptied to the dregs and wakefulness restored, Noin gave him a measured glance. "How far away from the Palace are we?"

"About another hour in the car. Good thing, too; the party starts tonight and I'm sure Relena will want you to help with her hair. And she'll most likely want to 'help' with yours, as well." He smiled softly. Lucretia, for some reason, always managed to bring out the best in him. "We'll be able to freshen up at the castle, so you don't need to worry about changing now."

She nodded and stretched. "The Sanc Kingdom has wonderful showers... and the warm water never seems to run out. I'll bathe when I get there." She looked at him. "Will I be driving the last hour? It's my turn, I believe."

"No, that's okay. It's only an hour and you drove the bulk of the trip since we left your villa." He gathered their stuff together, but she snatched her bag from him with an 'I-can-handle-myself' look. He shrugged and opened the door, holding it for her. She started down the hallway towards the front desk to turn in the keycard.

~*~

"Noin!" Queen Relena Peacecraft greeted her friend and former bodyguard warmly, hitching up her pale blue and white sundress splotched with pale pink flowers as she hurried over to throw her arms around the older girl. Lucretia smiled and returned the embrace. "Miss Relena." She said in greeting.

Meanwhile, Heero approached from behind the longhaired girl, wearing his usual grand attire of green cotton tank and form-fitting dark navy spandex shorts. His hair was windblown, the sun glancing off faint highlights in the bright summer sun. Just then, Zechs came over the rise, carrying the bags. Heero nodded to him, then reached out to shake his head. They clasped hands like the warriors they'd once been.

"Come now, we must get you into the castle. Noin, you absolutely must show me your dress..." she trailed off as her eyes fell upon her brother. "Milliardo...?" her eyes went wide and rolled back as she, being Queen of the Sanc Kingdom and all, promptly fainted. And Heero, of course, caught her easily in his strong arms, holding her against him until she awakened.

Zechs' eyes narrowed and Noin only giggled, pushing him slightly in the shoulder. His sister soon recovered, hugging her older sibling tightly.

"You're alive? And you didn't tell me?" She narrowed her eyes up at him, hands on her hips.

She looked for all the world like an insulted pixie, Heero noted.

Noin smiled. "I was the one who forgot to tell you..."

"But my brother was the one who neglected to rectify that mistake." The queen grinned and hugged her brother again. "It's great to see you. Even if you are a bit late."

Relena's friendly smile was infectious, and soon everyone, including the two usually straight-faced boys, had contracted her crazy grin.

The small quartet went inside, Relena shooing Zechs and Heero away as she directed Lucretia to the nearest suite. It had an expansive living room and a comfortably furnished bedchamber, as well as a deliciously scented bathroom with an enormous tub and many, many perfumed candles and soaps. It was pre-stocked with lavender scented perfumes, soaps, bath bubbles, shampoo and conditioner. The amazed former-lieutenant whirled on the Peacecraft sweetheart.

"Miss Relena, you didn't have to go through all this trouble for me!" She couldn't help but smile.

"I knew you liked lavender. He commented once that he loved your perfume and I asked him to find out what kind. He didn't succeed, so I managed to get several different brands."

"Oh Relena..." She hugged her. "You're so thoughtful."

She gave the dark-eyed beauty the delightful smile that everyone knew her for and bowed her head. "I'll leave you to yourself, then." Giving a small curtsy, Relena left the room, shutting the door discretely behind her. Noin just shook her head. "You really shouldn't have..." She murmured before discarding her clothes and stepping into the shower.

~*~

Zechs sighed, eyes closed as he squeezed his long, platinum hair through the folds of the luxuriously thick towel. He was in his own chambers, meeting the twin ice eyes that gazed blankly back at him in the large, silver-backed looking glass, having just stepped out of the shower moments before. As the young prince ran a brush through the tangled hair, cursing softly every so often when it'd get caught, he heard a light tap at the door.

"Zechs?" The voice was soft, questioning. Noin.

He donned a robe, green like the towel, and opened up the door for her. She was clad similarly, only her robe was pale lavender. She stepped inside and shut the door quietly, following Zechs as he went to sit down again. She stood behind him and started working through the pale locks with the brush, her fingers picking apart the small, stubborn knots. Back in their academy days and the years in the military, Lucretia had always brushed the ex-soldier's hair. At first, he found it a weakness that she could do it with such ease and he always had trouble with it. Until she explained that no one would try to untangle his hair in the middle of a heated battle; then he let her do what she wanted, not minding so much.

Noin inhaled deeply, sighing. She paused when she noticed the strange herbal aroma of sage beneath Milliardo's heavy masculine scent. Noting the pale green robe he wore, she giggled faintly, running a finger over the soft material of the collar.

He looked back at her from the corner of his eye. "What's so funny?"

"I see Relena has color coordinated your rooms to go with your sage soap." She giggled again slightly, looking at him in the mirror. He growled, eyes narrowed.

"I think it's cute." She finished with his hair and ran her fingers through it one last time. "I'm going to get dressed now." She left, Zechs staring after her.

She makes fun of me... and I let her. It was amusing, though...

Later on, after Zechs had come downstairs in a pair of jeans and a gray T-shirt, he sat down at the table in the Main Hall of the palace, talking with Relena and Heero. Noin came down shortly after, also wearing jeans and one of her tank tops. She took a seat next to Zechs and sighed, leaning back. "We'll need to start getting ready in a few hours... the banquet starts at eight, right? It's Three-thirty."

"Yes." Relena replied. "The pacifist leaders will arrive around that time, as will most of the guests. The Gundam Pilots should be here in around an hour... Duo and Hilde said they'd be..."

Just then there was a loud knock on the door and Pagen led the aforementioned into the room. They immediately pounced on the princess, hugging her tightly. Duo tried to hug Heero, but the Wing pilot tactfully stepped aside. Duo fell on his face. Hilde giggled and grabbed his braid to pull him up, but he grabbed her hand and pulled her down, rolling over and pinning her securely. "Not the braid! You promised." He pouted and she only grinned and leaned up to kiss his nose.

"You poor baby." They both sat up, a knot of arms, legs, and the occasional braid woven through the two. They grinned up at the others who were all smiling; even the enigmatic Heero had an amused glint in his eyes.

Hilde smiled at her reflection in the mirror as she ran the comb through her already dry hair. She'd stepped our of the shower a half hour before, and Duo was taking one now. It always takes him forever... his hair really is way too long. She laughed softly. I love that braid of his, though. The banquet started in about two hours and all the other pilots, as well as Sally and Catherine, had arrived just after she and Duo had and were all getting ready. Sighing softly, she stood, slipping into her pale, dark indigo dress that clipped at the back of her neck, exposing her pale, curved spine. She shook her head, letting her hair fall naturally about her face, and jumped slightly as hands settled on her waist. Duo's image materialized next to hers in the mirror and she wondered how he could hide his physical form even from that.

"Hey good-looking... you need a date?" he skimmed her throat with his lips.

"Sorry stranger, I already have one..."

He pouted and stepped away. "He's just a clown! Ugh."

Hilde blinked and turned to face him. "Hmm? Oh!" She started laughing and jabbed him in the ribs. "I meant you, silly. Trowa's coming with..."

"Quatre, I know, but..." Duo continued, about to say that they needed dates as well.

"But what? They're coming together."

"Togeth..." His eyes widened. He'd always wondered, but...

"Yeah, it's not something to think about, is it?" She smiled and jabbed him in the arm. "Don't tell me you never suspected."

"But being told outright... it's just kinda jolting." He looked at her suspiciously. "How are you sure?"

"Remember on Peacemillion, after you'd brought me back from the fight with Murcurius and Vayeate?" When Duo nodded, she continued. "Well, you know I how always snuck out of the sick bay..."

He grinned then; he knew. And he'd helped a few of those times, as well...

"...I opened a door I thought was a hallway... it was a closet..."

Duo's eyes widened and he hastily motioned for her to stop. "Babe, you need go no further..." She grinned and he hugged her. He never did like it when she spoke of the attack... she'd been hurt so bad. He remembered it so clearly...

~*~

--"I just... I wanted to, Duo."

Her voice was strained over the intercom and he winced inwardly. He could almost feel her pain, and if he wasn't gripping the controls so tightly, his hands would be shaking. "Hilde..."

"Here... you gotta get this data to Heero and the others." She cried out softly, blood trailing down her temple as she gripped her ribcage with on hand, the disk in the other.

"I'm taking you back to Peacemillion first." He grabbed her suit, speeding back towards the ship."

"You know... You'd go faster without me..."

"Hilde, don't think for a minute I'd leave you here." His fingers twitched; he ached to hold her, tell her she'd be alright. When they'd lived together, she'd always given him hugs, always helped him as best she could, always let him do anything he needed. Now, it was his turn to repay her. He had to save her life.

***

Hilde was bandaged and pale, her eyes half open as she looked up at the God of Death from her exhausted state on the white bed sheets. A small smile touched her lips, causing Duo to bite his in inner turmoil. It was because of him that she was like this... if she'd never met him, she wouldn't be so hurt.

"Hey." He said softly, reaching for her small hand.

"Hiya." She murmured, curling her fingers over his palm, her grip weak.

"I'm so sorry..." He began, though he had no idea what to say. "If it wasn't for me, you..."

"If it wasn't for you," she interrupted, realizing where he was heading, "I'd be dead. You saved me."

He looked at her, cobalt eyes blinking several times. He looked so cute when he was confused or sleepy... or choking on a bread roll. Not like when he was the God of Death, with the sexy smirk... not that she minded that...

"You don't blame me?"

She smiled and closed her eyes. "No, silly. I wouldn't ever blame you. I brought this on myself... and I have no regrets."

He frowned for a moment, considering this, and a smile lit his face. "Yes." He said--.

~*~

Straightening the indigo tie that matched Hilde's dress, Duo adjusted the dark navy colored suit he was wearing, tucking the loose strands of hair behind his ears and casting a sidelong grin at the dark-haired girl. The clock read seven forty-five; he offered her his arm, which she gladly took, and they started towards the main hall.

~*~

"I really like it."

His hands trailed along the dark emerald tie that rested against the pale, tawny shade of the tuxedo. Smiling, he guided his fingertips up to the stoic face, hidden beneath the mask of brown hair, stroking softly. There was an answering purr, and a small smile. Trowa kissed the Winner heir's fingertips, then said softly, "You look good in white, Quatre."

There was such a stark contrast in their dress clothes, but neither of them seemed to notice as they embraced. A tan hand immersed itself in the sea of sunlight that was zero-four's hair, tousling it slightly.

"Aw, you're gonna mess it up..."

"It looks cute that like."

Quatre pouted and Trowa sighed in amused resignation, fixing the strands with his fingers. "There. Beautiful."

The boy blushed and nodded. He looked so darling!

"Come on... it's almost time." Trowa motioned for him to follow, their fingertips touching the merest bit as they made their way down the hall, and only noticeable if one looked very hard--and knew what he was looking for.

~*~

Threading his tanned, calloused fingers through the honey-gold strands of silky hair, Wufei pursed his lips thoughtfully. Clad only in a black tuxedo with a match tie and silk undershirt, he focused on pinning up the curls of his partner's hair. She was wearing the dress they'd picked out, and now he--after complaining that she always wore it in those irksome (he'd actually said it... irksome, to which she'd remarked, "That's so sixteenth century!") twists--had taken it upon himself to give her a decent hairstyle.

"Funny," she said, meeting his dark gaze with her own pale blue one in the mirror, "that someone so anti-woman would know how to pin up one's hair."

He growled slightly and replied, his tone curt, "You should be ashamed that I can do this better than you." He finished, his hands falling to his sides. He could still feel the smooth texture of her hair on his fingertips.

"Come on, then." The Dragon pilot said, taking her elbow lightly in his hand and helping her stand. Sally noticed that he didn't let go, even when they'd joined up with the others. Oddly, for once he didn't seem to mind.

~*~

"He really is beautiful... in a certain, masculine way." Dark, forked eyebrows that seemed obscene in contrast to the pale blond hair and skin, arched slightly as Dorothy Catalonia giggled, her voice like velvet. Wearing her black evening gown, she finished situating her insanely red headband, making sure that one pale strand of her bangs rested against her forehead. She smiled, picturing what she'd say to the Peacecraft son.

"Hello, Mr. Milliardo," She'd begin, making her voice soft and sensual. "It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

All I need to do is to get him into a conversation... a few smiles here, a flirt or two there... and he'll be mine.

Dorothy was used to getting what she wanted, and ever since she'd met him as Ambassador Peacecraft, she knew she'd wanted him. He was terribly handsome, and she hadn't had time to seduce him onboard Libra.

But now... there was nothing to hold her back.

~*~

Milliardo Peacecraft stood motionless, blue eyes wide, as he silently studied Lucretia. Her back was to him as she combed her hair, but she couldn't see his reflection because as soon as he'd set foot in the room (the door was in the back corner) he'd stopped, mouth slightly open.

Noin stood, a dark scarlet-plum dress hugging her figure, accenting her not-so-subtle curves. There was a large V in the back, so her shoulder blades, spine, and lower back were all exposed. Sighing, she turned around, stopping when her eyes fell on him. They were a foggy shade of lavender, and she was wearing a dark lipstick that matched her dress. She looked vaguely startled, but she quickly recovered.

"How long have you been standing there, Zechs?" She smiled faintly.

His gaze swept over her, taking in every detail. She looked amazing; the neckline was cut low, just as the back, and it made him wonder how the thing stayed on her. Slits up to her thighs on both sides, her pale legs were toned and strong. The years in the military had really paid off.

"I just walked in," He said quickly, tearing his gaze away from her. He was in the white tux she made him get with a light blue undershirt and lapel.

She walked up to him and fingered the small folds on the jacket, smiling. "This looks good on you," She glanced at the clock. It was nearly eight and she started towards the door, him following.

"I hear that Relena really out did herself decorating the ballroom." Noin said as they made their way down the hall. The carpeting was in shades of azure, as this was Zechs' wing of the mansion and followed the same pattern as his private rooms.

Milliardo inhaled deeply, pausing the action when he scented a familiar kind of perfume. He glanced at Noin and smiled; he loved it when she wore that. She usually had at the dances that the college held back in their academy days. Just as he was about to comment on it, a flash of ivory-on-black caught his attention.

~*~

Smiling a coy, feline smile, Dorothy whisked up in front of Milliardo, eyebrows raised slightly. "Hello, Mr. Milliardo." She said, gazing up at him through her lashes.

"Hello, Dorothy." He was polite but concise. Nothing about his tone hinted at intimacy or sensuality. He only turned back to Noin and smiled at her, while they continued on a conversation about some kind of French cologne.

Drifting a few paces away, she rethought her initial plan. The object of her current desires seemed focused solely on one woman--Lucretia Noin.

Odd, she thought. I knew she loved him... but I had no idea he felt the same to her.

When she reached the dance floor and took a seat near the podium, she sat back and resigned herself to watching. Many pacifist families were filing in, after the initial greeting by Princess Relena, and doubtless some expected to introduce their daughter or son to the Peacecraft heirs. Well, they'd be in for a shock.

Dorothy let her gaze slide over to where Heero Yuy was standing, one hand resting possessively on the small of the Princess's back. She still remembered trying to seduce that one. But, for some reason, he never seemed inclined to take any interest in her whatsoever and she eventually grew bored with the chase. Just walking into the room was Duke Epson, with his wife Salina and his two daughters, aged fourteen and seventeen. Dorothy searched her mind for their names; she'd met them while attending Relena's academy for pacifist daughters, as both had attended.

The younger, Lilly, was small and thin, lengthy arms and legs and the hesitancy in her gaze revealing her to be nothing but a gawky teenage girl, dolled up in a feign of elegance.

The older, who held herself with much more surety and a definite air of self-importance, went by the name of Maria. She had a pretty face, but her frame was slight as well. Almost immediately, she excused herself from her family and casually made her way over to where Zechs Merquise and Lucretia Noin were standing, engaged in a conversation about merits of pacifism, and how war will be hard to end forever--but forever was how long they were willing to fight.

Dorothy studied Noin for awhile, comparing her to daughter of Epson. Noin was full-figured, solid, and toned. She was fighter, the love of outer space--and one Milliardo Peacecraft--causing her to join the mobile suit military. Though she wasn't a warrior anymore, she still held herself in a way that bespoke past strength. In short, this pacifist daughter was nothing in comparison.

Glancing at the other guests, Dorothy smiled; there were several young suitors as well, undoubtedly seeking the hand of Relena. She couldn't keep the smile from forming as they quickly lost heart and nervously skittered away at a Death Glare from Heero. Relena, flushing at his possessiveness, smiled faintly and let him have his way.

Settling back, Dorothy Catalonia waited for the speeches to begin, still keeping her silent vigil.

~*~

"And that is precisely why we cannot ever give up." Milliardo finished, smiling courteously at Jonathan Keeper, one of his acquaintances and the mayor of a small village governed by the Sanc Kingdom. Noin was standing next to him, arms at her sides. She smiled and was about to add something when a girl approached, about two years younger than herself. Her hair was blond, her eyes blue. She was slightly tanned, and wearing a white dress that attempted modesty--though miserably failing because of the revealing low-cut neck.

"Greetings, Mr. Milliardo," Maria began, smiling sweetly, hand outstretched.

Pausing in his conversation, he turned to the girl, taking the offered hand and kissing the back of it, as was customary. She gazed up at him through her lashes, trying to look innocently seductive--and she would have, were it not that he'd turned back to Lucretia to comment on the decorations of the room.

Her smile faded for a moment as she sought to identify the woman next to him. Hmm... wasn't that the palace guard from a year ago, when I came here to study under Miss Relena? She thought to herself. Why does Lord Milliardo appear to be courting her? Surely she can't be of nobler birth than me... what advantage would that union convey?

First would be dinner, served to each individual table, from the Kingdom's very own kitchens and world-renowned chefs. During which speeches would be given from each of the pacifist leaders, including Relena herself; the rest of the night would be spent dancing and socializing.

The lights started dimming and Noin tugged gently on Milliardo's sleeve, motioning to the table where Relena, Hilde, Catherine, Sally, and Dorothy were seated, as well as the Gundam pilots.

Milliardo followed her and took a seat at the head of the long table. Relena was at the other end, Heero next to her at the corner. Across from Heero was Dorothy, who was on Relena's other side, and from there it went Hilde, Duo, Sally, and Wufei. On Heero's side, it was Catherine, Trowa, and Quatre, then Noin who was next to Zechs.

Thus seated, food ordered and on its way, the speeches began. Relena, the model hostess, was first up, her pink and white gown shimmering with gold trimmings. Her hair in a decorative twist at the base of her neck, gold diamond earrings glinting at her lobes, she made her way to the stand. Heero followed, hanging back against the wall behind her, in the shadows. All the lights were low except those focused on the podium, and Noin smiled as she caught a glint of steel just visible in the pocket of Heero's black dress pants. He would go to any lengths protecting her.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Miss Relena began, standing tall and proud in front of the podium, sweeping her gaze across the room, "It my honor and pleasure to welcome you all to this Post-War banquet.

"Now, you all know of the events this past year that lead to the eventual destruction of many good people..."

Relena 's voice resounded throughout the room, her powerful speech moving even the most skeptical of Total Pacifism. Her articulate ways of displaying ideas so focused on her main goal were famous--nay, legendary.

Noin watched her, smiling. The Peacecraft girl had come a long way since they'd first met; a scared, confusing teenager had blossomed into a strong princess with an iron sense of right and wrong. Milliardo, seemingly picking on her thoughts, murmured,

"She really has grown up, hasn't she?" He smiled with pride, then took a small sip of his chardonnay, which the waiter had brought a few minutes before.

"Yeah." Noin allowed herself to smile as well, leaning back slightly. Relena finished her speech and returned to the table, Heero walking close beside and slightly behind her. He even went so far as to pull the chair out for her, pushing it in with gentlemanly skill. She blushed faintly, looking up at him.

And then something everyone at the table never thought they'd see: a smile, a genuine smile, graced the zero one pilot's lips as he sat down, looking at her. Of course, it could have been a trick of the light.

Lucretia could almost feel Zechs' gaze on the Wing pilot, studying him harshly for a moment. She looked at him, and to her horror--he was smiling, too, and his expression was relaxed. She almost swooned, then reminded herself that she was--or used to be, at least--a soldier.

During about the third or fourth speech, the food came. Noin glanced down at her broiled catfish, eyes widening slightly. It was huge. But she was starving. She glanced at Milliardo, who had ordered an impossibly large T-bone steak. He was laughing softly under his breath, and when Lucretia inquired as to what was so funny, he pointed indiscreetly at Sally and Wufei.

Wufei was growling softly at his chopsticks, and Sally was openly laughing at him. She reached over to show him how to hold them, but he yanked them away, giving her a pointed look that said quite clearly, "I-don't-need-any-help-from-the-likes-of-you,-woman!"

She rolled her eyes and patiently grabbed his hand and situated the two decorative chopsticks. As soon as they were working right, he pulled his hands away and started eating his filet mignon. She sighed and started sipping spoonfuls of sizzling rice soup.

Lucretia was barely able to control her laughter and Milliardo leaned down and whispered, "Shh... we can laugh at this later. Right now, look at Hilde and Duo..."

She did so and almost wished she hadn't. The two were cuddling, Hilde all but in Duo's lap, and he was reaching for a drumstick of his chicken, unable to reach it because of the girl. She didn't seem to notice, as she was focused solely and trailing kisses along his neck.

The speeches were finished now and the music had started. Heero stood, hand offered to the princess. She smiled and took it, allowing him to pull her up into his arms. They waltz slowly to the middle of the floor, and Milliardo took notice of the four or five boys watching them, blatant jealousy in their eyes. He only smiled slightly and stood. He enjoyed dancing and, back at the academy, he and Noin were usually partners at the balls that were held. She was really good; fluid, graceful. He turned to her and frowned slightly at her expression. She was looking at her plate, biting her lip as if she was trying to decide on something. He reached down and took her hand, smiling when she looked up at him with vague surprise.

"My lady," He began, "May I have the pleasure of this dance?"

Her face split into a smile and she stood, taking his hand. "My lord," She said, returning the customary phrase, "The pleasure is all mine."

Resting one hand on her hip, his fingers spread comfortably over the material of her dress, he pulled her slightly closer, holding her hand with his other as she rested her free palm on his shoulder. She smiled at him and he guided her over more towards the center of the room.

They danced, the years of military discipline and natural grace making them one of the best couples out there. The music slowed down, and Zechs pulled her closer. She looked up at him, a faint blush on her cheeks, her eyes meeting him. He smiled at her, kindly, and she bit her lip, glancing away. He leaned his head down and whispered in her ear, "What's wrong...?"

She almost tried to pull away from him, but his arms kept her locked in place. "Nothing," She replied, sending him a false smile.

He would have pressed her to tell him the truth, but as the song came to an end, Duke Epson's daughter came up to them, and smiled cheerily.

"My lord," she said, curtsying, "May I have this dance?"

This time Noin was able to pull back out of Zechs' arms, making her way discreetly back to the table. Milliardo only watched her retreat, a slight frown on his lips. Maria suddenly pulled herself up against Milliardo, and he was forced to focus his attention on her. She was resting her hand daintily in his, her other hand resting on the side of his neck instead of on his shoulder. Zechs sighed and moved his free hand to her waist, and they started dancing.

She wasn't that good; she knew how, and she was graceful, but she wasn't Lucretia... He stopped that thought, mentally hit rewind. I wish Noin hadn't abandoned me... She knows damn well that she can dance better than this. And to make things slightly more aggravating, Maria was pressing herself against him.

He pushed her away the slightest bit on the next turn-step in the dance, and she didn't take notice. She was too busy complimenting him, even though her wasn't really listening.

As soon as the dance was over, he excused himself as quickly as he could without being considered rude. As he started back over to his table, the girl followed, much to his avid annoyance. He sent a pleading glance at Noin and she came to his rescue, immediately moving into his arms. He smiled, releasing a relieved breath, and guided her out to the dance floor.

She glanced up at him, smiling softly, but he narrowed his eyes at her, and she fancied that she heard a growl in his throat.

"What...?" Noin asked, frowning. "What'd I do...?"

"Only abandoned me." He said, his voice low.

"Well, I thought you might like to dance with someone else." She said, looking up at him with one of her dark eyebrows raised. "Surely you didn't expect to be with me all night?"

"Why would I want to dance with anyone else?" He growled softly. "You know you're the best here. I hate dancing with inexperienced girls who are only after a marriage union."

Noin excepted this praise with a smile. "Fine, if insist, I suppose I'll dance with you the rest of the night." He pulled her closer and they settled into a soft, graceful step, perfectly in tune with the music and each other.

~*~

Relena smiled, resting her head against Heero's shoulder. His arm was around her waist instead of his hand just resting on it, and he held her close. She sighed softly, her arm around his neck, her other hand resting in his as they danced slowly. "I think," she said quietly, "That my brother is finally coming around."

"Zechs?" Heero answered quietly.

"Ms. Noin loves him."

"I know."

She smiled and whispered, "Do you think he'll ever love her?"

"Relena." He said, backing up a little so he could meet her eyes with his intense gaze. "She means more to him then almost anyone else."

The princess nodded, gazing up at him. "She does."

"And," Heero said, "If he ever falls in love with anyone... it will be her."

She smiled and rested her head on his shoulder.

They danced in silence for a few moments more and she whispered, "Heero?"

"Hmm?" He murmured, his cheek resting against the top of her head.

"I love you."

He smiled softly, kissing her hair. "I know you do." He didn't return the words, but then she didn't expect him to. She knew he loved her.

~*~

"Why, Wufei, I didn't know you felt that way about me." Sally teased as he glared at her. He grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet, his other one on her side.

"Shut up, woman," he said, hauling her against him. She smiled suddenly, looking up at him. Though she was older by a few years, he was still taller; he'd grown these past two years.

Assuming the basic position of the dance, he looked at her and blinked, wondering why she was smiling. She looked so pretty though, with her head tilted just so, and her honey colored hair up in the style that he'd done. He smiled, too.

"Wufei," She said, motioning over to Noin and Zechs. "Look."

He did so and noted the way he held her, the smile on her face, the look in the former pilot of Epyon. "He's started to figure it out."

"Mmhmm." Sally said, smiling still. She looked at him coyly, with an eyebrow raised, and said, "Now I wonder when you are."

He looked at her suddenly, startled, and suddenly realization dawned on him.

Now, Sally expected him to do one of two things: either push her away and stalk off, or pull her closer and smile.

Anything but turning her around, pushing her against the wall that was three feet away, and kissing her hotly on the lips.

But hey, whatever worked.

~*~

Later that evening, when most everyone was sitting down exhausted from the dancing, and picking at the remaining food, Noin and Zechs were on the balcony, looking over the beautiful terrain of the surrounding towns, and great expanse of blue-black sky with the twinkling stars overhead. The moon was beautiful, making everything glow with the surreal silver color.

Leaning against the balcony rail, Lucretia sighed, a small smile on her lips. She was exhausted, Zechs could tell, and he came up beside her, his long hair glinting in the moonlight.

"Zechs?" She said, turning to him.

He looked at her, noting her faint shivering, and said, "You cold?" Without waiting for an answer, he slid an arm around her shoulders, pulling her against him.

"Thanks," She said, and he nodded. "I'm leaving tomorrow, for home..." She started, and felt him tense. "So... I guess I wanted to say goodbye." She turned to face him, her hands resting on his arms, his hands on her shoulders.

Milliardo stared down at her for a moment, memories of all their times together flitting through his mind. They'd always had reasons to be together; they were in the same classes at the academy, the were assigned posts in the military... but now he had no reason. Time to play my hand, I suppose. He thought. I'll make a reason.

"No." He said, turning away from her to look up at the moon.

She blinked. No? She thought. It was stated simply, plainly. She looked at him, frowning. "'No' what?"

He sighed, not looking at her. "What I mean, Noin," he said, his voice soft, "is that I don't want you to leave."

Her blood seem to rush faster, her stomach turning. Had he really said that?

She had to be certain. Gripping his shoulder, she turned him around to face her, her gaze stormy as she looked into his icy blue eyes. "What did you say, Zechs?"

He smiled; she was so cute when she was angry. He leaned down and kissed her. On the lips.

Noin froze, her hands automatically moving to his shoulders. Zechs Merquise, Milliardo Peacecraft, was kissing her. In all of her fantasies, all of her visions, it would have run something like this:

She would say, "Zechs, I gotta tell you this... I love you, and I... well..." Then she'd kiss him, and he'd smile and say, after the kiss, "I knew it all along, Noin, and I love you too..."

But instead, he had actually kissed her. Lucretia's mind was bombarded with so many thoughts when--was that his tongue??--his arms slid around her waist, pulling her even closer.

When the kiss ended, he looked down at her. She looked back at him, breathless, and said, "Oh Zechs... I..."

He smiled, cutting her off, and said, "So you'll stay?"

She nodded. "Yes."

"Good." He kissed her again, and this time she was ready for him...

~*~

"Quatre?" Trowa said as soon as they'd returned to their room. The blond boy looked up at him, smiling as always.

"Yes?" They hadn't had a chance to dance at the party, and suddenly the Heavyarms pilot pulled zero four against him, swaying slightly to the memory of the music. Quatre blushed and smiled, pleased, pressing himself to the taller boy.

Trowa's arms were around his waist, Quatre's arms around zero three's neck.

As they danced, Quatre said, "Finally, Noin and Zechs are together. I'm so glad for them."

Trowa nodded, remember what had happened. A girl from one of the neighboring nations had seen them lip-locking outside on the balcony, and had seemed quite upset about it. Then again, most of the younger girls there had wanted a dance with the Lightning Baron. But he'd saved all his dances for Noin, as if to ward all other girls away. The didn't seem to take a hint.

Gently pushing the boy down onto their shared bed, Trowa smiled and kissed his lips softly. Another night, another dance... he smiled.

~*~

Lucretia was so exhausted that she could barely walk. Milliardo walked her to her room, walking into the room and shutting the door behind him. The dark haired woman immediately sat down on her bed, yawning mightily. Zechs smiled and pulled off her shoes. He moved his hand to the zipper on the back of her dress and glanced at her for permission. She nodded and he slid it down. All but kicking the dress off, Noin slid the pantyhose off as well before sliding into bed, her back to him. Zechs smiled and tucked her in, making sure she was warm. He stood and hung up her dress on a nearby hook, then started to leave.

"No..." she said softly. "Stay?"

He sighed and sat down on the edge of her bed. "For a little while." He leaned over and kissed her forehead, his lips lingering on her pale skin a little longer than they needed to.

"Mm... Zechs?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you." She said. She was half asleep, but he knew she did. He'd always known...

And for the first time, he realized he felt the same way. He smiled and kissed her ear, whispering, "I love you too, Noin..."

She smiled, content with that answer.

He kicked off his shoes and laid on top of the covers, one of his arms draped possessively over her midsection.

He never did leave.

THE END

A/N: Well, what'd y'all think? I was decent, but got kinda dull towards the end... I rushed through it, cutting some corners on the description, because I just wanted to finish the damn thing. Hehehe.... well, tell me what ya think. I hope you people like this... It took forever to finish!

~AiC





[1] In traditional Chinese families, the last or family name comes first, then the personal name, opposite of English.