Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 69 ( Chapter 69 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 69
 
Both men were completely at a loss for words as they took in the destruction. What had been, that morning, a neat, tidy lounge room with the tree standing proudly in the corner was now a complete mess.
 
Seeing neither human moving, Smokey turned her attention back to a shimmering bauble and patted it with a paw. The bauble rolled off and Smokey pounced on it, swiping it again and sending it skittering across the carpet.
 
“Smokey!” Heero scolded, his senses returning as the cat chased the bauble.
 
Hearing her name, Smokey paused and looked at her owner.
 
“You're a naughty girl,” Heero chastised as he moved and made a grab for the cat.
 
Sensing the annoyance coming off the human, Smokey ran for cover, Heero hot on her heels. She darted behind the sofa, emerging at the other end and seeing Heero still after her, she scampered across the carpet, jumped onto the arm of the lounge chair and dived for the shelf on the wall unit.
 
“Come back here, you little minx,” Heero all but shouted.
 
But Smokey had no intention of letting herself be caught.
 
“Shit! Not the wall unit!” Heero cried and made a dive for the cat. The wall unit held all Duo's crystal collection, finely cut glassware and several ornaments.
 
Running flat out across that narrow shelf, Smokey almost made it clean across before her tail flicked and knocked one of Duo's favorite pieces - a china statue of a border collie.
 
“Ah, fuck!” Heero made a last ditch effort and launched himself forward, hands outstretched and somehow managed to catch the china piece before it hit the floor and could break.
 
Meanwhile, Duo had remained standing transfixed in the doorway and watching the drama unfold. He'd been reluctant to join in the chasing, knowing it would only make the cat harder to catch if the two of them were after her, so he stood his ground and guarded the doorway.
 
When Smokey shot across the bottom shelf of the wall unit and his favorite piece went flying, he felt his heart go into his mouth. It then became something like watching a slow motion replay. Heero diving for the ornament and catching it; Smokey diving to hide behind the television stand.
 
Putting the ornament safely back, Heero realized then just how much his heart was hammering in his chest and he turned to look at his lover, still frozen in the doorway. “Where did she go?” he growled.
 
“Television stand,” Duo managed to get out.
 
Carefully, Heero snuck up and managed to grab the cat behind the television before she was aware of him. Holding her securely in his arms, Heero pulled back out and stood in the center of the room.
 
“Naughty girl,” he berated. “You should know better than to wreck the Christmas tree. You're not a kitten any more, but a full grown cat!” A sudden snort from the doorway had Heero pausing and turning his attention in that direction. “Duo?”
 
Duo couldn't help it, he began to laugh. “Oh, Heero,” he snickered.
 
“I don't think it's funny at all,” Heero scowled. “She's ruined the tree and decorations, practically destroyed the lounge room and almost broke one of your favorite pieces.”
 
“It's not that I'm laughing at,” Duo managed to get out between snorts of laughter. “It's you.”
 
“Me?”
 
“Yeah. Just take a moment and think about what you just said.”
 
Heero paused and thought about what he'd said, but couldn't find anything remotely amusing about it. “I don't follow.”
 
“You're telling the cat off. Smokey doesn't understand a word you're saying and yet you expect her to know what it is she's done wrong.”
 
Heero gave a sheepish smile as it dawned on him what Duo was saying. “Yeah, I guess you're right. But it still doesn't excuse her behavior.”
 
“Heero, she's a cat. She's only following instinct. Cat or kitten, they will still find things like the baubles, tinsel and such to be mesmerizing and want to play with them. If anything, we're to blame, we should have just kept the door closed when we're not in the house, then temptation wouldn't have gotten the better of her.”
 
“Suppose so.”
 
“Why don't you go and feed her, then keep her locked in the laundry for an hour or so?”
 
“Yeah, good idea,” Heero replied and looked back at the mess as he went to leave to do just that. “At least she left the presents alone,” he commented.
 
True enough, all the presents were still wrapped neatly, even if they had been moved around a bit.
 
“Thank god she didn't try to chew on the lights or the electrical lead,” Duo stated.
 
Heero chuckled. “She would have certainly been true to her name if she had.”
 
“I think she would have been more than smokin', Heero. I'd say she could have been a fried feline!”
 
“Duo!”
 
Duo simply continued to laugh.
 
“A little solitary confinement for you, Missy,” Heero said and shook his head as he took his wayward cat out to feed and lock in the laundry.
 
* * *
 
“Merry Christmas,” Heero said softly and kissed Duo's lips.
 
“Mmmm. Merry Christmas to you too, Heero.” Duo closed his eyes again and snuggled closer to his lover. “What time is it?”
 
“Not quite eight,” came Heero's response.
 
“It's so nice to have a lie in.”
 
“I agree,” Heero chuckled and wrapped his arms tighter around the vet.
 
The sound of the birds chirping outside was all they could hear adding to the peacefulness of the morning.
 
“Guess we should get up,” Duo murmured.
 
“I suppose. There are the horses to feed and put out into the paddocks.”
 
“Shame they couldn't do it themselves and give both of us a complete day off,” Duo snickered.
 
“Would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen,” Heero chuckled.
 
“Nope, that it isn't. I'll come give you a hand.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Then we get to open the presents?”
 
“Then we get to open the presents,” Heero confirmed.
 
“Good.”
 
* * *
 
The horses were all put out into their respective paddocks and left to eat a special Christmas breakfast; extra carrots, some apple slices and a few sugar cubes. With the stables cleaned, evening feeds already put in and water buckets filled, the pair headed back to the house, coffee and to open their gifts.
 
Heero went through to wash up whilst Duo set the kettle to boil. They swapped places, Duo going to wash and leaving Heero to make their coffees. With mugs in hand, they entered the lounge room.
 
It had taken them almost two hours the previous evening to clean up the mess and repair the tree from the exuberant cat. Both were just thankful the cat hadn't ripped the wrappings from the presents as well. There was only a modest few under the boughs but that didn't mean Smokey had an open invitation to destroy them!
 
Duo got to play 'Santa' and fetched the presents from underneath the tree and stacked them in their respective piles; his and Heero's. With the gifts now sorted, Duo sat down on the couch next to his lover and the pair proceeded to open their gifts.
 
Duo grinned and shook his head when he opened his gift from his mother, Heero peering over to see what had him so amused. “Underwear,” Duo announced and shook a pair of boxers in Heero's face.
 
“I think I prefer them with you in them,” Heero deadpanned.
 
Duo snorted.
 
“At least you got underwear,” Heero snickered.
 
“Oh?”
 
“My mom always seems to send me socks.”
 
Sure enough, Heero had opened his package from his mother and there sat several pairs of socks.
 
“Very practical,” Duo commented, keeping a straight face.
 
“I guess so, especially since Gertrude seems to like to 'eat' my socks,” Heero stated with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Ah, yeah. She does have a habit of that.” Duo thought he'd better change the subject from his wayward washing machine. “Oh, one from Hilde.” Duo tore off the wrapping to find a brand new stethoscope. “Perfect. My other one has just about had it.”
 
Heero couldn't help the amused smile.
 
Between the pair of them, they did quite well in the gifts department. Treize and Zechs had given them a gift voucher for dinner at one of Salsbury's more expensive restaurants. Duo had his boxers from his mom, stethoscope from Hilde, a book on animal anatomy from Trowa and Quatre and a new diary from Catherine. Heero had his socks, a book on showjumping's greatest riders from Trowa and Quatre whilst Hilde and Catherine had combined together and bought him a new pair of jodhpurs. Duo confessed later that they'd asked him for Heero's size and the vet had done a little sneaky work to get the information for them.
 
All that remained to be opened were their gifts to each other.
 
Heero picked up the gift he'd hidden away and handed it over. “Merry Christmas, Duo. I hope you like it.”
 
“Thank you, Heero. I'm sure I will.” Eagerly, Duo tore off the wrapping and crowed in delight. “Wow! Heero, these are perfect!” He quickly scanned through the pile of DVDs, his smile growing ever larger as he read each title. “The complete Star Wars set,” he cheered. “I've been after that for ages.”
 
Heero smiled, warmed inside that he could make his lover so happy with such a simple gift.
 
“Your turn.” Duo shyly handed over his own wrapped gift.
 
Heero took the gift, curious as to what could be inside the soft package. Removing the wrapping, he stared at the gift, a warmth stealing over him. “Duo, it's lovely,” he whispered as he ran his fingertips over the soft material.
 
“Glad you like it,” Duo murmured with a soft smile.
 
“I love it,” Heero replied as he held the items out at arm's length one at a time. It was a cobalt blue, pair of satin pajamas with a matching robe.
 
“The color matches your eyes,” Duo added and ducked behind his bangs.
 
Heero smiled, a genuinely affectionate smile. “I'll wear them to bed tonight, so you can see me in them.”
 
“Good,” Duo stated softly a glint in his eye. “Now, there's one more gift under the tree to be opened.
 
“There is?” Heero questioned. Surely they'd opened them all?
 
With an evil smirk, Duo fetched the present and handed it to Heero.
 
“It's for me?”
 
“Sort of. Actually, it's for both of us,” Duo replied cryptically.
 
Clearly confused, Heero opened the package and stared. “Um, Duo?”
 
“Yes?” Duo's eyes were positively alight with mischief.
 
“If I'm not mistaken, this is a tube of lube.”
 
“Correct. You're a clever boy today.”
 
“But, Duo?” It was clear that Heero wasn't following.
 
Duo sidled up to his lover and pressed a reassuring kiss to Heero's lips. “Take a closer look at the tube, Heero,” he whispered seductively, a hint of a blush on his own cheeks.
 
Heero turned the tube over in his hand and studied the item a little better. “Strawberry flavor?”
 
“Ah, yes.”
 
Reading a little more of the words on the side of the tube, a dawning began in Heero's head and his face lit up with a teasing grin. “It's edible?”
 
“Um, yes.”
 
“This wouldn't be a hint of some sort, would it?” Heero asked. Oh, it was such fun to tease his lover - not that Heero often got the chance, usually it was Duo teasing him.
 
“Ah, well...” Duo was clearly lost for words, the blush on his cheeks almost as red as the suit on the little Santa hanging from the tree.
 
Wrapping his arms around his boyfriend, Heero pulled the vet into a warm embrace and nuzzled the chestnut locks. “Duo, I'd be more than happy to rim you any time you want.”
 
Swallowing sheepishly, Duo managed to find his voice. “I, I wasn't sure if you'd like to try it again. When you did it once before, I... well... It was nice.” Duo wondered if he was about to self combust he felt so hot.
 
Snickering softly, Heero reassured his lover he was more than happy to try anything Duo wanted to and that seemed to ease the embarrassment a bit for the vet.
 
* * *
 
“That was a lovely lunch,” Duo said as he sat back and rubbed his belly.
 
“I agree. I'm totally stuffed,” Heero stated as he set his knife and fork together on the plate.
 
“Thank you,” Catherine beamed. “I did have help though.”
 
“Yeah, I peeled the potatoes,” Trowa said.
 
“And I made the salad,” Quatre piped up.
 
“It was delicious,” Hilde complimented.
 
The six of them were at Trowa's enjoying Christmas lunch. Trowa and Catherine had invited their respective partners to join them for lunch and also included Heero and Duo in the invite. Both men had been touched to be asked and had accepted. Now, they were all stuffed full of turkey, ham, pork, vegetables and salads - and had all enjoyed it.
 
“Who's for dessert?” Catherine chuckled.
 
A chorus of groans met the question, along with several excuses.
 
“Maybe later then? There's plum pudding with custard and I made a pavlova too.”
 
“Pavlova?” came Duo's weak voice.
 
Catherine nodded. “Yes. Complete with fresh cream, bananas, kiwi fruit, strawberries and shaved chocolate.”
 
Duo groaned. Pavlova was his favorite. “Oh, man. You sure know how to charm a guy.”
 
* * *
 
It was just before dusk when Heero and Duo arrived back at the practice after spending lunch and the afternoon at Trowa's. They'd recovered from their overindulgence and spent the afternoon trading stories and playing cards. It was a nice way to relax.
 
Eventually they had to leave, Heero still had to feed his horses and Trowa had his own animals in the shelter to take care of.
 
“All done?” Heero asked as he slid the bolt across on Wing's stable door.
 
“Yup,” Duo replied as he checked he'd closed Angel's door properly.
 
“Let's go watch one of your movies then,” Heero suggested as he wrapped an arm around Duo's waist as they walked towards the sliding door to close the stable block up for the night.
 
“That sounds like a perfect way to finish off a great day,” Duo sighed.
 
“Oh, the perfect ending is yet to come,” Heero stated with a mischievous smirk.
 
“It is?”
 
“Trust me,” Heero replied and locked the sliding door after turning out the lights.
 
Walking hand in hand back to the house, Duo opened the back door and stepped inside, switching on the light. Smokey greeted them and Heero went through to the laundry to feed the cat, Duo heading for the lounge room to set up the television.
 
Just as Duo was slipping the disc into the player his pager went off. Duo groaned. “Why can't I even get Christmas day off?” he said as he reached for the small device.
 
“Call out?” Heero questioned as he stepped into the lounge and caught the last few words.
 
“Looks like it,” Duo sighed. “I'll make the call. With any luck it's something simple that will only take an hour tops to fix and we can still enjoy our evening.” He walked across to where the phone sat and called the number displayed on his pager.
 
Moments later he hung up and paused with a frown on his face.
 
“Duo?”
“Sorry. I was miles away.”
 
“What's the call out?”
 
“A mare foaling and needs help.” Duo knew this would probably take a while - there went their planned, quiet evening.
 
“I'll come with you.”
 
Violet eyes turned to lock with cobalt. “You don't have to.”
 
“I know. I want to, so no arguing.”
 
“Okay. Thanks.” Duo gave his lover a warm smile. “I'll go get changed and check I have all the gear.”
 
“I'll meet you in the car.”
 
* * *
 
Two hours later, Duo was washing himself off after successfully delivering a healthy, colt. The mare had been in labor for over half an hour and nothing had been happening. It was clear the horse was starting to stress and so the owner didn't hesitate and called Duo.
 
When he'd arrived, the mare was still straining, but nothing was showing. Doing a quick, internal exploration had confirmed Duo's suspicions. The foal had a leg back and that was stopping the delivery. He needed to bring that leg around, and that was no easy task.
 
He'd resigned himself to spending a bit of time with his hand and arm inside the mare and suffering the unpleasantness that would go with it. It was hard and tricky enough to have to try and bring the leg around, but he would have the added problem of the mare's contractions pushing against him.
 
He'd persevered though and managed to get his hand and arm inside, locating the leg and determining which would be the best way to bring it around. Heero was dispatched back to the car to fetch the foaling ropes for Duo to be able to complete the job.
 
The ropes were long and soft, having a small noose with a slip knot on one end. Duo applied some lubricant to the rope, hooked his finger through the noose and returned to his internal explorations of the mare.
 
Gritting his teeth as one strong contraction squeezed his wrist against the hard, unyielding pelvis of the mare, Duo grimly fought on. He managed to slide his hand back along the leg of the foal until he found the fetlock and tiny hoof.
 
“You okay?” Heero asked as Duo grimaced.
 
“Yeah. Just getting my arm squashed in here,” he replied and strained his fingers to reach for that last inch to hook the rope noose over the fetlock.
 
He gave a sigh of relief when he felt the rope slide into place and paused for a moment to catch his breath. The mare gave another strain and Duo closed his eyes as he waited for the contraction to pass.
 
“Heero, can you take the rope and pull gently on it? I need the noose to tighten up.”
 
“Aa. Okay.” Heero began to pull gently, listening to Duo's instructions and taking it slow.
 
Whilst Heero pulled, Duo kept his fingers by the noose to keep it in place and check it was tightening. Once he was happy with the rope's position, he carefully slipped his hand out.
 
“Now what?” Heero asked.
 
“Now we get this leg brought around and deliver this foal,” Duo replied and carefully inserted his arm again.
 
With Duo's hand guiding the leg and Heero keeping a gentle pressure on the rope, the leg began to move and slip around until it was lying parallel with its counterpart. Duo quickly pulled his arm out.
 
“Everything is back in place,” he said. “Now it's up to the mare.”
 
No sooner were the words out of Duo's mouth than the mare, sensing all was well now, began to strain with enthusiasm.
 
The front feet appeared and Duo went to slip the rope from the foal's fetlock. As he did, the mare gave another shove and half the foal shot out, Duo's reflexes kicking in and catching the baby in his arms.
 
Another push and the rest of the foal landed in Duo's arms, the weight of the animal forcing Duo to slowly slide down to the floor, taking the baby with him.
 
The foal gave a soft snort, shaking his head and sending fluid flying all around him. Duo quickly pulled the rest of the amniotic sac from around the foal's head and carefully removed himself from underneath.
 
The mare gave a couple of deep throated wuffles and turned around to see what she'd done. The foal answered with a shrill cry of his own.
 
Duo stood up and stepped back beside Heero, content to enjoy the warmth of the moment. The miracle of birth never failed to stir something deep inside and now was no exception.
 
“Congratulations, Angela, that's a fine, healthy colt foal,” Duo said with a smile to the young owner.
 
Angela stood with tears in her eyes as she watched the mare nuzzling her baby. She turned to face the vet. “Thank you, Doctor Maxwell. If you hadn't come out so quickly, I might have lost them both.”
 
“No problem.”
 
“I really am grateful, especially with it being Christmas and all. I hated to have to call you out on what should be a day of rest.”
 
“Well, animals don't realize it's Christmas,” Duo chuckled as he made an attempt to wash himself off. “But, I'd say that's one Christmas present that can't be beaten.”
 
“You got that right,” Angela chuckled.
 
The three stood and watched the new mother and her foal for a little while longer. Duo checked the afterbirth and then went over both mother and baby before giving the mare a precautionary shot of antibiotic and the foal a shot of tetanus vaccine.
 
Satisfied that all was well with mare and foal, Heero and Duo took their leave.
 
* * *
 
Duo stepped out of the shower and dried himself off, slipping on a pair of boxers and hanging up the towel before heading through to the bedroom. He paused in the doorway and smiled.
 
Heero was folding back the covers on the bed in his new pajamas and looked up when he heard Duo. “Feel better?”
 
“Much,” Duo replied as he shoved off the door jamb and sauntered towards his lover. Wrapping his arms around Heero's waist, he leaned in and stole a kiss. “Those pajamas look lovely on you.”
 
“They feel great too,” Heero replied huskily.
 
“As much as I like them on you, I think I'd prefer to have you out of them.”
 
Heero shivered. “I'm sure that can be arranged.”
 
They kissed again and with their lips still locked, shuffled to the bed. Breaking apart, both men sank to the mattress and began to kiss once more, this time with more hunger and passion.
 
When they surfaced for air, Heero gave a cheeky grin and pulled something from under the pillow. He waved the tube of strawberry lube in front of Duo's eyes. “I believe I have a promise to keep?”
 
“Oh, yesss,” Duo moaned as his eyes slid half shut, body tingling in anticipation.
 
“Then roll over,” Heero commanded.
 
Duo obeyed, feeling his boxers leave him as he did so. Lying naked, face down on the bed, he hid his blushing face in the pillow and let Heero have his way with him.
 
Yes, it was the perfect end to a perfect day.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...