Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 84 ( Chapter 84 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 84
 
The applause rang out with the announcer's words, the Aussie team adding cheers to the noise. Michael was on his feet in an instant and heading for the collecting ring area, Noin seconds behind him.
 
Come on, let's go give Zoe our congratulations too and see if we can get any information from her on the course itself,” Treize said with a grin.
 
The rest of the group got up and followed Treize down the steps and outside. Joe remained inside the arena to continue taking down scores.
 
Zoe patted the bay neck, enthusiastically, tears of joy almost blinding her. She could hear the cheers and applause as she located the exit and rode Lionheart for it. Once outside, she brought the stallion to a walk and then dismounted. Her feet had just touched the ground when she was lifted into the air. A gasp of surprise fell from her lips as she was spun around and then all thought went from her mind as her husband kissed her soundly.
 
Snickering softly, Heero gently took the reins from slackening fingers and gave Lion a pat. “Good boy,” he said. “I always knew you would be a good horse.”
 
When Michael finally let Zoe up for air, the woman was in a total state of shock for a moment and she blinked a couple of times.
 
Congratulations, Zoe.”
 
Well done!”
 
You rode wonderfully,” were some of the comments to hit her ears.
 
Looking around her, Zoe smiled at her fellow team members and coach. “Thanks, everyone. Sorry about the four faults, Lion was being a little too exuberant.”
 
Michael took Lion from Heero and began to walk the stallion around to cool him off a little. He sheepishly thanked Heero for running the stirrups up, loosening the girth and taking care of the horse whilst Zoe was otherwise occupied.
 
Heero had just chuckled and told the man he was welcome, then he turned his attention back to Zoe and their coach to find out what Zoe had to say about the course.
 
It's a bit trickier than we thought when walking it. The turns aren't too bad if you have your horse balanced and listening to you when jumping the jump before the turns. Watch out for jump ten though, after the water they don't like to come back to hand and ten comes up pretty fast. When I jump the next round I'll be sure to be sitting down hard as soon as we land over the water to get Lion back between hand and leg.”
 
The rest of the team members nodded and made mental notes based on Zoe's information. Having learned all they could from the woman, Heero, Treize, Zechs and Duo went back inside the stadium. Kyle went with Andrew back to the stables to get Marksman loosened up again; Noin went with him to offer some last minute instruction whilst Zoe and Michael took Lion back to settle the stallion in his stable. His jumping was now finished for the day and Zoe figured he'd earned a small feed for all his efforts.
 
Joe was still sitting where they'd left him, note book and pencil in hand. He looked up and smiled as the rest of the team took their seats again and handed over the note book to Treize. “The New Zealander had eight faults and the Norwegian sixteen,” he informed the group.
 
Treize took a look down the row of figures and gave a low whistle. “So far there are no clear rounds and only two countries with four faults; us and the United Kingdom,” he informed the others.
 
That's great,” Zechs replied.
 
That would mean we're tied in first place at this point for the gold medal,” Duo stated and looked to Heero for confirmation.
 
Yeah, it does. It also means there's a lot of pressure on the rest of us to keep it that way too,” Heero replied.
 
There are still two more countries to ride before the second riders start their course and anything can happen yet,” Treize said.
 
Oh, come on you two. You sound like a pair of old ladies, not the seasoned, world class champion jumpers that you are,” Zechs scoffed.
 
World class?” Heero asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
Old ladies?” Treize questioned his eyes wide.
 
Yeah, well, if you weren't world class you wouldn't be here, now would you?” Zechs defended.
 
I agree with you on the world class part, but old ladies?” Treize lowered his voice a touch. “I'll show you later on just how much of an old lady I am not,” he growled.
 
Zechs shivered.
 
A groan went up from the crowd and the four decided they had better watch the rest of the Frenchman's round.
 
The French rider finished with a total of twelve penalties and the Belgian with eight. Belgium was the last country to compete and with that rider's exit, the commentator informed the crowd that the judge would be checking the jumps and the course raked quickly before the competition would continue with the second riders from each country.
 
Knowing there would be at least fifteen minutes before the next rounds got underway, the guys took the chance to head out to the warm up area to give Noin the scores so far and wish Kyle good luck.
 
* * *
 
The second riders were soon underway and the guys all watched in keen interest to see how they would fare. All teams' first riders would have passed on valuable information to the remainder of their team and coaches and now those second riders would be doing their best to avoid making the same mistakes their fellow team members had made.
 
The German rider finished his round with eight penalties, the Japanese rider had twelve and the South African, eight. The Indian rider was unlucky at the treble; his horse came in too short and gave him a refusal. When presented at the combination a second time, the horse jumped but was clearly upset and showed it by knocking down a rail on all three elements. They finished their round with sixteen penalties.
 
All eyes were riveted on the arena as the second rider for the UK came in and saluted the judge. They cleared the first four jumps quite easily, building up their speed as they continued on around the course. They were still clear when they approached the water jump, but to Heero and Treize it didn't look like they were going quite fast enough.
 
Sure enough, the horse left behind a back hoof and the steward's flag was raised, indicating a hoof had gone into the water and thus incurred four penalties. They continued on and managed to clear jumps ten and eleven without any problem. The triple was a little too much though and the horse had begun to run out of energy by the time they got to the third element and they took a rail down.
 
Eight penalties,” the commentator announced as the British rider cleared the remaining two jumps and exited the arena.
 
Zoe and Michael joined the guys in their allocated seats, Noin following a few seconds later. Treize handed over the notebook and pencil to Noin who had a quick look at the current scores. Her face showed no expression though, other than a small raise of her lips. Treize and Heero brought Zoe and Michael up to speed with how the second rounds were going, the other two pleased that the course was proving to be as difficult as Zoe had said.
 
The Swedish rider completed their round with four faults and the Italian scored eight. The Irish rider set off with a determined look on his face and rode well. Unfortunately, his horse took a dislike to the barrels under jump two and gave a refusal. The second attempt saw the Irishman riding his horse for all he was worth, the horse doing its best to try and run out. The rider won and the horse gave a cat leap over the jump, almost unseating the rider and sending the top rail crashing to the ground.
 
It was bad luck for the Irishman as the rest of his round was faultless, clearing everything in their stride and not adding any further penalties to their score.
 
Noin departed once more to have a last minute word with Kyle, leaving the others to keep score. The American rider entered the arena and saluted the judge, gathering her horse together and riding for the start. The bell went and they were on their way.
 
Everything appeared to be going smoothly for the American, her horse was responsive, slowing or increasing his pace as asked.
 
Looks like this could be the first clear round,” Michael muttered.
 
Certainly looks like it,” Treize replied as he watched the pair clear jump eight and push on for the water.
 
Heero declined to say anything, hoping in his heart that the pair would make some form of mistake, even though it wasn't sportsmanlike to wish that on a fellow competitor.
 
Duo had no such qualms though, sportsmanship be dammed, he was sending silent prayers to any god that was listening for the horse and rider to make a fault somewhere on the course!
 
The pair continued clear over the water and took jumps ten and eleven in their stride. The horse turned nicely and met the treble perfectly. They cleared the treble and were riding towards jump thirteen.
 
Please hit it, please hit it, please hit it,” Duo whispered under his breath, a sidelong glance at Heero told him his lover had heard his little mantra and wasn't all that amused. Duo gave a shrug of his shoulders and a lopsided grin to meet the frown currently aimed his way.
 
Heero rolled his eyes and shook his head. He couldn't help but also hope that the pair would make a mistake, though he would never admit to it.
 
The pair cleared the wall and now all that stood between them and the first clear round of the competition was the final fence; the gate.
 
It seemed the idea of being the first clear round had gone to the rider's head a little and they stopped riding their horse forward for a moment. That was all it took though, a second or two lapse in concentration and the horse lost a touch of impulsion. They met the gate square, but the horse was tired and didn't have quite enough left in reserve to clear the gate. His hind hooves caught the top and sent it crashing to the ground.
 
Yes! There is a god,” Duo cheered quietly, earning himself two chuckles and one glare - no prizes for guessing who shot the glare. Duo smiled sheepishly at Heero and then winked at Zoe who was doing her best not to join Michael and Treize in snickering at his antics.
 
Four faults,' the commentator announced. “Our next competitor is representing Australia. Kyle Devon and Marksman.”
 
A cheer and applause went up from the crowd as Kyle rode in. Marksman looked stunning, his coat shining like liquid gold, mane and tail like a foaming waterfall. He pranced a little, showing off to the crowd, knowing the applause was for him. Kyle sat down a little deeper into his saddle and checked the exuberant horse.
 
He's looking good,” Treize commented.
 
I hope he can keep calm and give it his best shot,” Heero mused.
 
He'll be just fine,” Noin said as she reappeared and took her seat. “Marksman is a good jumper and Kyle a sympathetic rider.”
 
Well, we're about to find out just how good they are, the bell's rung and they're on their way,” Zoe said, eyes never leaving the pair in the arena.
 
* * *
 
Ohhh, what a pretty horse,” Catherine commented as she watched the television coverage.
 
Certainly is stunning,” Hilde returned. “I hope they can jump as good as they look.”
 
I'm sure they can, they wouldn't have been selected for the team if they weren't any good,” Catherine stated. “Oh, pass me one too please?”
 
Hilde snickered and handed her partner the plate of chocolate biscuits, Catherine taking two.
 
You'll get fat,” Hilde teased.
 
You'll still love me though,” Catherine fired back with a smirk.
 
I suppose there would be more of you to cuddle,” mused Hilde.
 
Just for that, you can make the coffees.”
 
* * *
 
Steady, Marksman,” Kyle soothed his horse.
 
The gelding tossed his head and continued to snatch at his bit. He could see the jumps all around him and wanted nothing more than to be jumping!
 
Kyle turned for the start flags, the bell sounding and he was away. They passed between the red and white flags, striding out for the first fence and clearing it easily. Jumps two, three and four followed in rapid succession, all being cleared with Marksman's effortless grace. They rounded onto five, the triple and Kyle checked his horse, bringing the palomino back a little and building more impulsion. Kyle knew the double was next and he didn't want his horse running out of steam.
 
They cleared five and rode on towards six; small ears pricked as the horse looked for and picked out his take off point.
 
So far, so good,” Zoe said.
 
It's from here on it gets tough,” Heero muttered.
 
He's doing well though. Marksman is still full of impulsion and yet he's settled a lot and is listening to Kyle,” Treize noted.
 
Hopefully they can keep this up,” Noin whispered and crossed her fingers to be sure.
 
Marksman brought his hind legs right underneath himself and pushed off over part A. They cleared that and upon landing, Kyle was riding his horse forward again, the gelding taking the two strides and then launching into the air again.
 
The soft thud of hooves informed everyone that the double had been cleared and the pair was turning a sharp left to come into jump seven.
 
Too tight,” Treize grimaced.
 
Ah, shit,” Heero added and then closed his eyes. The sound of a falling pole told him what his eyes couldn't.
 
Pull yourself together, Kyle,” Zoe muttered.
 
Kyle heard the sound of the pole hitting the dirt and cursed himself for not having his horse more balanced. Noin would no doubt be having words with him over that little error in judgment.
 
Marksman settled a little more and took jump eight in his stride, the hay bales not bothering the gelding in the least. His master's hand lightened on the rein whilst seat and leg closed against his sides and Marksman gathered speed. The shimmer of the water jump lay ahead, gold ears pricked up and the gelding flattened out even more.
 
They skimmed across the water and landed safely on the opposite side, the steward looking a little disappointed that he hadn't gotten to raise his flag to indicate a hoof in the water.
 
Kyle sat hard in his saddle and took a firm hold of the reins to slow his horse down. The gelding fought his rider for a moment; he was having fun and didn't want to come back to hand. Grudgingly he did and steadied a little.
 
Jump ten was cleared and the pair aimed for eleven, the hedge. Knowing there was another sharp turn coming up after the hedge, Kyle did his best to steady the palomino and re-balance in preparation for the turn.
 
Marksman slowed his pace a fraction more, ears pricked as they lined up the hedge. The gelding grunted as he took off, sailing over the hedge and landing safely on the other side. Immediately he could feel the pressure on the bit in his mouth and his rider's weight shifting as legs made contact with his sides. Marksman listened to those aids and began to turn.
 
That's it, build the impulsion,” Noin whispered as she watched her team member in the arena.
 
Steady, take it easy,” Treize added.
 
Push him together a bit more,” Michael muttered.
 
Keep the focus,” came Zoe's input.
 
Now, ride him forward,” Heero said.
 
Duo looked at Zechs and the blonde vet looked back at Duo with raised eyebrows.
 
It's like they're on a different planet,'” Duo snickered with an incline of his head towards the rest of the team and the coach.
 
I have to admit, most of it does go over my head. I've never been able to fully grasp the entire concept of the showjumping phenomena,” Zechs replied with a sigh.
 
Don't worry, you're not alone there,” Duo smirked. “It's only taken me about eight years to learn the basic rules. As for the rest of it,” he shrugged, “I'm afraid I'd probably score a D minus.”
 
I think I'm quite content to stick to start, stop, walk, trot, canter and turn,” Zechs grinned.
 
Me too, and even then I have trouble sometimes,” Duo replied with a grin of his own.
 
The pair turned their attention back to the arena where Kyle was about to tackle the treble.
 
Hind legs came underneath and pushed the palomino into the air and over part A. Landing, muscles bunched and flexed and those powerful hind quarters took a stride and then launching the body into the air again.
 
Kyle sat his horse well, assisting the gelding in every way possible. He could feel his horse straining to make the reach of the spread, but they did and once again hooves bit into dirt as they came back to earth. Kyle sat down and used his legs to drive his horse together, hands light on the reins as he tried his hardest to give the horse as best chance as possible to clear the third element.
 
Marksman was beginning to feel the strain. The three jumps together with only a couple of strides between them and the width of the spread on the second and third parts, was beginning to take its toll. Gamely the gelding drew his hind quarters underneath and propelled himself into the air. Forelegs folded underneath as they soared up and forward. Passing over the poles, those front legs unfurled and began to reach for the approaching ground. The width of part C was a bit more than the horse had expected and as they came back to earth a hind hoof rolled across the top pole and sent it falling to the ground.
 
A collective groan went up from the crowd.
 
Damn! They were doing so well too,” Heero groaned.
 
Crap. Kyle's not going to be happy about that,” Michael muttered.
 
I don't think Noin will be ecstatic either,” Treize deadpanned.
 
Kyle wasn't happy with himself at all, but like a true sportsman, he put the fallen pole behind him and concentrated on finishing the rest of the course without adding further penalties.
 
Marksman was tired but continued to canter on, listening to his rider as they approached the wall. The gelding dug deep and managed to clear the wall, nostrils flaring as they drew deep breaths of air.
 
Only one more to go, Sunny,” Kyle said to his horse, using the gelding's stable name. He ran a hand quickly along the sweaty neck, feeling the ripple of muscle beneath. Steadying the horse, Kyle drove his legs against the animal's sides and rode forward with everything he had.
 
The palomino hide drew taut over the muscles and sinew as the body pushed itself to the limit, soaring into the air over the gate. Front hooves bit deep into the dirt as they took the brunt of the landing and then cantered away and through the finish flags.
 
Eight faults for Kyle Devon and Marksman from Australia.”
 
Everyone applauded and cheered as Kyle exited the arena. Noin and the others got up to go outside and speak with Kyle in regards to his round. Duo offered to remain in the stands and continue to watch and write down the scores as he knew Joe would be needed to help Treize get Romefeller ready as he would be jumping soon.
 
Kyle was disappointed in himself and the eight penalties he'd scored, apologizing to Noin as soon as he spotted the coach. Noin dismissed the apologies, letting Kyle know that these things happen and she was still very proud of the way he'd ridden and how his horse had coped. The others offered their congratulations and did their best to cheer the obviously unhappy rider up.
 
Noin went back to the stables with Kyle, discussing what had gone wrong and what Kyle could do to better his performance in the second round - providing they were lucky enough to make it through to the second round.
 
Treize, Zechs and Joe went with them to start getting Romeo warmed up and ready for when he would be jumping. With so many entries, the stewards were putting the riders through as quickly as possible and Treize figured he'd have about an hour to get Romeo working properly before they would be required to jump.
 
Having spoken with Kyle, Heero went back into the stadium to join Duo, Zoe and Michael following a few moments behind him.
 
How is he?” Duo asked as Heero sat down beside him.
 
Not very happy,” Heero replied.
 
Is the horse okay?”
 
As far as I can tell.”
 
Good. I'll be giving them all a thorough check later, once you've all finished your rounds.”
 
How have the remaining riders fared?”
 
Duo picked up the note book and read out the scores he'd jotted down in the others absence. “The New Zealand rider scored twelve faults, the Norwegian eight and the Frenchman, twelve. The Belgian is still on course and has eight penalties at the moment.”
 
Heero fixed his attention back on the current rider who went on to knock down another rail and finish with a total of twelve penalties.
 
The ground crew came out again and the course was checked and raked before the third riders were allowed to commence their rounds. Heero, Duo, Zoe and Michael took the chance to go out and get something to snack on. It was lunch time and all four were getting rather hungry. Loaded down with hamburgers and sodas, they began to walk back to the stadium, Kyle, Noin and Andrew meeting them just before they got back to the entry.
 
Sitting down inside and munching on their respective choice of food for lunch, Duo spoke quietly with Kyle.
 
Marksman okay?” he asked as he took a bite of his hamburger.
 
He seems so, although he was a little tired, but I guess that's to be expected after jumping such a tough course,” Kyle replied.
 
I'll give him a good check over once everyone is finished jumping.”
 
Thanks, I'd appreciate that.”
 
No problem. Do you have any electrolytes you can put in his water?”
 
Kyle shook his head. “I didn't think to pack any.”
 
It's okay, I've got some with me. I'll give you a packet after to put in, that should help a bit in his recovery from all this jumping.

“Thank you, that would be appreciated.”
 
Looks like they're about to start the third riders now.”
 
All attention turned back to the arena where the commentator was announcing the first of the third set of riders to go.
 
* * *
 
Quatre snuggled a little closer to Trowa who in turn pulled his arm a bit tighter around the blonde's shoulders. “I wonder if it will be Heero or Treize to jump next,” Quatre mused.
 
I have no idea,” Trowa replied. “I think we're about to find out though as the third round is about to start.”
 
The pair were cuddled together in the large bed watching the broadcast on the television Quatre had installed in the bedroom. The coverage of the jumping hadn't been a lot, mostly highlights of some rounds, although the station had shown the Australian team rounds in their entirety along with a couple of other countries.
 
I really wish they would show more of the equestrian,” Quatre grumbled.
 
I suppose they're on a limited time schedule as there are so many events to cover in an Olympic Games,” Trowa replied.
 
I still don't think it's fair. They show just about all of the swimming and a ton of the gymnastics and the track and field; why not show more of the equestrian? They have constantly placed in the medals so you'd think that qualifies them for more air time,” the blonde continued. “Maybe I should write or call the broadcasting station and complain.”
 
I think Heero already did that once before and it didn't get him anywhere,” Trowa mused.
 
Maybe not enough people are complaining then.”
 
You could be right, but let's just watch what we do get for now. The coverage is about to start again.”
 
Sighing, Quatre wriggled around to get a little more comfortable and switched his attention back to the screen.
 
* * *
 
The course was continuing to give the riders a stiff challenge and there was yet to be a clear round. The German rider managed to score four faults whilst the Japanese rider finished with eight. The South African's horse didn't have enough impulsion when coming into the triple and sent poles flying in all directions from each element and scored a total of twelve faults.
 
The Indian rider was doing well, his horse clearing everything with an ease and grace and Heero thought they just might see the first clear round of the competition; until they reached the water jump. For some reason only the horse would know, the water jump wasn't on its agenda to jump. They cleared jump eight and the rider sent his horse on into a hand gallop in preparation for the water. The horse increased his pace and made the sweeping turn to approach the water. Five strides out the horse suddenly realized it was water and slammed on the brakes. Unfortunately, they were going a little too fast and the rider hadn't anticipated the screeching halt he was coming into. All four hooves dug into the ground, the horse sliding to a stop right on the edge of the water; the rider wasn't so lucky. He kept going, right over the horse's head and landed with a spectacular splash just short of the middle.
 
The horse gave a snort, tossed its head in the air and looked at its rider as if to say, 'You want to jump water, then you jump it by yourself!', then promptly turned tail and galloped for the exit. The poor rider raised his soggy form from the water and sloshed his way out.
 
Duo was doing his best not to laugh, as were many other people. Once they were assured by the commentator that the rider was not hurt, he let go a small snicker. Heero heard it and looked at his lover.
 
It's not polite to laugh at someone else's misfortune,” he said softly with a twinkle in his eye.
 
I know, Heero. I really shouldn't laugh, but knowing he's okay and all, you gotta admit, it is rather funny.” Duo snickered again.
 
The corners of Heero's mouth twitched up “Actually, I do have to agree with you, although we should laugh a little quieter.”
 
Duo shook his head.
 
The fall meant the Indian rider was eliminated and the rider from the UK entered the arena. They rode well, scoring four faults and that was at jump ten, another horse not wanting to slow down after the water jump. Duo had been hoping they would make a few more faults as it was so close in the scores between the UK and Australia.
 
Whilst the Swedish and Italian riders did their rounds, the pair ducked out to have a few words with Treize and wish him good luck.
 
Romeo looked fit and well, eager to jump. Treize sat softly in his saddle, keeping the bay moving at a walk and not allowing him to get distracted. Spotting Heero and Duo, he rode towards them, Zechs and Joe following.
 
How is he feeling?” Heero asked as Treize halted beside them.
 
Raring to go,” Treize replied.
 
Good luck to you, Treize,” Duo said and patted the bay neck.
 
Thanks. We will be giving it all we have,” replied Treize.
 
I'm sure you will both do fine,” Heero said. “Then it will be up to Shini and me not to let the team down.”
 
Both you and Shini are just as capable of clearing this course as the rest of us, Heero,” stated Treize.
 
We will see.”
 
The pair spent a few more minutes with the pair before heading back into the stadium to watch.
 
You be careful out there,” Zechs told his lover. “I want you back safe and sound.”
 
We will be,” Treize smiled and then leaned down the side of Romeo's shoulder. “I love you,” he mouthed.
 
Zechs felt a lump rise in his throat and he gazed softly back into sapphire eyes. “Love you too,” he mouthed back and gave Treize's leg a quick squeeze. “Good luck.”
 
Thanks.”
 
Treize Khushrenada?” the steward called.
 
I'm here,” Treize replied and gathered his reins.
 
You're next to go.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....