Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ And So They Found Out ❯ What's Going On? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Remus Lupin awoke in his bed in a sunny blue Saturday in October. He looked around the room to find all of the other four beds empty and unmade. He groaned and rolled over, trying to forget the events of the night before. He stretched out him right arm and observed the new bite marks on his forearms. Great, he thought, I get to wear long sleeves again. He rubbed his head and looked out the window, staring at the clouds. Ah yes, a moment's peace is lovely.

Of course, this peace didn't last long, mainly because James Potter had crept into the room. He watched Remus stare out the window and made sure the peaceful boy was good and relaxed before he made his move.

"GOOOOOD MORNING REMUS! WELCOME HOME!" he screamed right in his ear. Remus jumped out of bed, startled. When he first saw James standing across from him laughing he was angry that he had been disturbed. But Remus was a forgiving person, and quickly rubbed off the anger to just annoyance. He rubbed his forehead with his index finger and thumb for a moment before responding to the fright.

"Now James, that's not a very nice way to treat a friend. Especially after I have had such a long night."

"Oh yes, of course, I forgot. What was it? Your mum's ill again," he said sarcastically, letting Remus know that he didn't buy that particular excuse at all.

"Yes, actually," snapped Remus as he laid back down on his bed. It wasn't even a moment before the head of Sirius Black was peeping around the door.

"James, are you tormenting Remus without me again?" He said with a bit of a pout before entering the room. Following closely behind Sirius was a small Peter Pettigrew, excited as always to be included. Sirius laid down on his bed across the room and put the pillow over his head. "What did I miss?" he said, his voice a bit muffled.

"Well, Sirius, Remus here went off again last night to see his ill mum," said James coolly, still in a tone to let Remus know he knew that it was bullshit.

"Good God, man, isn't she dead yet!?" shouted Sirius from underneath the pillow. Peter laughed loudly at the joke, as did James. Remus, however, just rolled over in his bed, hiding his chuckles underneath the pillow.

Sirius hopped up out of bed, walked over to Remus, and grabbed his arm.

"Come on sleepyhead, it's time to get up!" he said playfully as he pulled Remus' arm until Remus fell to the ground. Remus got his arm out of Sirius' grasp and stood up rubbing his forearm. Sirius had just managed to grab the new bite marks.

"Bloody Hell, mate, what happened to your arm!?" James exclaimed as he grabbed his arm to take a look for himself. Remus snatched back his arm and pulled his sleeve down over it.

"It's nothing"

"Nothing? Mate, a bite from a flobberworm is nothing. That looked like a bloody wolf went at your arm"

"A wolf! Oh no! Our Remus has been bitten by a werewolf, James! We must take him to the hospital immediately!!" joked Sirius. James laughed, and of course Peter's laugh followed it. Remus, however, was not at all amused.

"Shut up! It's nothing. Last night when I went to see mum my Aunt Missy was there with her dog. I told ya that dog was never fond of me at all, and he just went at me." he glared at James and Sirius, completely ignoring Peter as he always did. James and Sirius looked at each other, sharing the same worry for their friend. Remus walked over to his trunk and began changing into his day clothes. His face still filled with an annoyed expression.

"Come on now, Remus. It's Saturday! We've got a trip to Hogsmeade today. You know you love trips to Hogsmeade," said Sirius, a bit excitedly. Remus groaned and flopped back down onto his bed. He had forgotten about that. He was getting tired of the full moons occurring before visits to Hogsmeade.

"I don't know, you guys. . . I'm really tired today. You all go on without me."

"Without you? Come on Remus! I promise you it will be loads of fu-" started James, but Sirius put his hand on James' chest to stop him. He looked over at James, clearly saying without speaking that he should leave Remus alone.

"Alright mate. Won't be as much without ya, but oh well," said James coolly as he shrugged and walked out the room. Peter followed him. Sirius walked over to Remus and kneed him in the legs.

"Sleep up mate" he said before exiting the room. Remus sighed, glad to have some peace again.

----------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

James and Sirius danced through Hogsmeade, causing a load of ruckus in the small village. They were followed by Peter who was just laughing and making poor attempts to imitate the two cooler boys. Eventually, as they got to the edge of the village, they stopped and continued to laugh as the fell to the ground. They did silly things of this sort every time they went off to visit Hogsmeade. The villagers there either loved them or despised them. More despised them than loved them. That was the way they liked it, truly. If people despised them, then they wouldn't bother them. And these boys did not like to be bothered.

As they calmed down James looked over at the "Shrieking Shack" just over the hill. Ever since they arrived at Hogwarts, the run down house had gained a reputation as being one of the most haunted places in the country. The villager told others that once a month they heard shrieks and howls and all sorts of other nasty noises erupting from the shack. The more James had heard about this, the more he wanted to go inside. Strangely, Remus had never let him before. He had always said that they broke enough rules as it was, that they should leave one rule standing, as silly as it may have been. James thought for a moment. Remus wasn't here to stop him today. A grin spread across his face as he jumped to his feet and started walking towards the shack.

"Oi, James what are you doin'?" called Sirius as he caught up with him, Peter trailing behind.

"Sirius my friend, today we are going to explore the wonder that is The Shrieking Shack, and Remus isn't going to be here to stop us today!"

"Alright now, that's what I want to hear!" said Sirius, just as excited at the prospect as James was. He had wanted to go inside and explore, too. But when Remus was around he acted cool and collected on the matter, not wanting to appear immature or possibly get chastised.

They approached the shack, and James stopped the other two and led them off into the woods.

"What's this all about then, James?" asked a curious Sirius.

"Well, it is forbidden property. We can't just walk on in, now, can we?" he replied as he dug through his satchel and whipped out his invisibility cloak.

"Good thinking," he replied as he slipped part of the invisibility cloak over his head.

The three boys continued to the Shack, making sure they didn't run into anyone they didn't mean to invisibly run into. Finally they made it to the door.

"Alohamo-"

"Wait!" interrupted Sirius. "They might have the door jinxed for things like that," he stopped and looked around a moment before he spied a hole on the adjacent wall. "Over there! Peter! you hold up the cloak against the wall, while James and I crawl through. then you follow." Peter did as he was told, and with a bunch of nudging and poking they were inside.

Much to James and Sirius' disappointment, there was really nothing there. No spooks or ghouls flying about wreaking havoc. In fact, there were no signs of ghouls or spooks at all. Just an old shack.

"Talk about one of your all time disappointments. It's just a bloody shack. I dunno why we believed those villagers. Most of 'em are senile anyway," said James as he started to walk back to the hole.

"Hold on James, c'mere" said Sirius, who was staring at the wall.

"Yes Sirius, that's what we call a waaalllll. If you have four of them you can make a rooooom" said James sarcastically as he walked over to inspect. His expression went from joking to curious as he stared at the wall too. Long deep claw marks covered the walls of the shack. A lot of them seemed to be fresh, too. They continued looking at all the mysterious marks around the room. They began not only finding claw marks, but bite marks and blood spatters. Peter was frightened and edged over to the hole so that if something came out he could make a quick exit. James and Sirius were still wandering about the room inspecting the marks.

"What the fuck is this all about!?" called James from one corner. He sounded angry. Sirius walked over to him.

"What's the matter James?" James turned around and was holding a dirty bloody ripped up Gryffindor tie.

"So?"

"So!? It's Remus'!"

"Now James, calm down. How in the world do you know that?"

"Because he's the only fucking loser who stitches his bloody initials on the back of his ties!" screamed James as he turned around the tie and exposed the neatly stitched initials "R.J.L."