InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ The Seventh Year ❯ Chapter Four: Settling In ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As always please review. It keeps me motivated. So I hope you enjoy the chapter.

Disclaimer: I own neither story. I like to mess with other author's characters though. So please don't sue.

This chapter is rather long but I swear you'll get two chapters tomorrow.

************

Chapter Four

The train slowed and stopped and we got off. The girl grabbed her things as we left ours for the house elves. As we got off we could hear the familiar sound of "Firs' years, Firs' years o'er here."

Hermione and Ginny followed me as we went over to the carriages. As we did I painfully remembered the way Harry could see them. Hearing Ginny gasp, I knew she could now see them now. She had watched a muggle die before her very eyes.

Sadly I got in the carriage. Hermione and Ginny sat together and we were about to set off when someone else got in. It was the strange girl named Kagome who claimed to be a professor. She had her things with her but she was not dressed in the usual attire of cloths. She had a light long sleeve shirt on as well as blue jeans. It was the same thing she had worn in the train.

She smiled at us and said, "The horses are a bit strange but they are pretty."

We all just stared at her as we took off. I don't think anyone had ever has ever called a Threstral pretty. I just shock my head in amazement and watched the forest crawl by as we went toward the castle.

**************

A heavy silence drifted around the carriage. I didn't need any insight to tell that they were all weary and depressed. Except for that Ginny girl, she seemed to know something the others didn't. I shrugged it off because at the moment though all I could think about was killing my cousin.

I had absolutely no ideal what he had set me up for and to say the very least my bad mood had come back. I was in a carriage full of depressed teenagers and it didn't help that I had already met some students I no doubt would have in my classes.

As the carriage came to a stop I saw someone I recognized. Getting out I called out, "Minerva!"

She blinked and when she saw me her face grew confused. "Kagome?"

I beamed at her. She looked the same as when I had last seen her three years ago. She never changed, "Yeah. I want to know where my cousin is."

Some people were staring at us as they went through the great doors of a gorgeous but spooky castle. "Why?"

"So I can kill him, then bring him back alive and kill him again for getting me into this mess."

She grinned at my half-blunt, half joking manner. "He's in his office. I think he was…."

"Hello Kag." Said my cousin from behind me. The three kids I had shared a compartment with and a carriage with were staring at our exchange of words amazed.

I turned around to meet my cousin's eye. All thought of brutally murdering him dribbled out as I saw his tired face, instead of bitching at him I asked, "So what kind of mess did you get me in?"

He smiled and motioned me to follow him. Securing my bow on my back I followed.

***********

To say I was amazed was an understatement. I looked at my sister and girlfriend and they both shared my amazement. We had never seen so friendly with professor McGonagall.

Sometimes a teacher would call her Minerva but not in a tone filled with cold fire and at the same time happiness. She had seemed happy at first than her voice had taken a brunt attack. She had seemed angry but it had all dribbled away when she had seen Dumbledore's face.

They walked into the Great Hall, as did we. They stopped and we heard them talking but we had to go to our tables.

As usual the sorting hat sat in front of the high table and the professors were all sitting down. I wondered if that strange girl would be the new Defense Against the Darks Art's teacher. Thinking about that I remembered the DA meetings we used to hold in secret in our fifth year. In our sixth year Dumbledore had given us his silent permission to continue.

Harry had been our teacher and he was great. He had taught us many things that saved our rears more than once. Thinking about my best friend created a pang in my heart.

Trying to draw my thoughts else ware I saw that Hagrid had come back into the room. McGonagall left to bring in the first years.

******************

I followed my cousin down the hall and when he stopped abruptly so did I. He didn't say anything until all students had left the hall.

When we were alone he said, "How was you trip?"

"I've had better."

"Sorry to drag you into this, but I needed a teacher otherwise they would've shut down the school."

"It's all right. I needed a change anyway. Also since I dropped out of school I would never have had found a worth while job. So what will I be teaching?"

He sighed as he answered, "Defense Against the Dark Arts."

"Sounds interesting. What do I do?"

"Teach the students how to live against a magic attack. Did you get a wand as I told you to get?"

"No, I thought you were joking."

He grimaced at this and said, "I'll take you to Diagon Alley tomorrow. I will also explain everything, just not now. I have some students to see and I have to show you your room, but before that…" he trailed off as he looked at my clothing.

To him I suppose I was dressed very strangely. He seemed to get a twinkle in his eyes as he took out a long thin wand. He waved it once and in his hands appeared one of the most beautiful smoky blue robe and hat I had ever seen.

He motioned for me to put them on and I did. I still had my things with me. After I put on my robe and picked up my things, securing my bow to my back, I followed him into the most gorgeous place I'd ever been. The ceiling was somehow enchanted to look like the night sky. Hundreds of candles floated in the air. I also noticed that the room was strangely quite as we made our way to a long table filled with teachers.

My cousin motioned my to sit down on the right of his seat as he too sat down. As we sat down, Minerva came in leading about 60 children.

They were led up to the table and Minerva called each child one at a time after the hat had quieted after its song. Only three children were added to a house called Gryffindor. Ten were added to a house called Slytherin and over half went to one called Hufflepuff and the others went to a house called Ravenclaw.

There was a brief cheer when all the new students had found their places, but I noticed that the Gryffindors only clapped a couple times. They didn't seem into a festive kind of mood and I briefly wondered what had happened to make them all depressed.

When everything was quiet, (which didn't take long) my cousin Albus Dumbledore stood to great his students.

He gave them a warm smile as he greeted them, "Welcome to another year," he looked briefly to the Gryffindors before he said, "Time for speeches is at a later time. Now it's time to tuck in!"

Some cheering broke out as food appeared on the plates, but it was scattered. All through the dinner I noticed that many just picked at their food. Most seemed not in the mood to eat.

Minerva and Albus were talking back and forth and I only listened to them with half an ear. When the food disappeared, my cousin once again stood.

Silence reigned through the hall as he stood. "I am sorry not everyone could join us. We are in dangerous times now. It is imperative that you listen to your teachers this year and do not go anywhere outside the grounds. I have some more news for you. You will be receiving a new Defense Against the Dark Art's teacher. She will be teaching this year as a favor for me and maybe more to come. I hope you all treat her will the respect that is due to her.

"Prefects if you will, its time to show the first years to your dormitories. Classes will start within two days time."

*************

I stood up with the other prefects to lead the way. Over the summer Ron and I had made Head Boy and Head Girl. We were now in a sense responsible over the other students as a whole.

As I helped lead the way my thoughts turned to Harry. I painfully remembered the way he laughed and joked around. How he would go out of his way to make sure we were all alright and I even remember the way he had looked when he left the safety of the Order of the Phoenix's head quarters.

To this day no one knows why he went off like he did. Dumbledore had tried to get there in time but all he saw was Harry disappearing in a field of green light. His body hadn't even been found.

Stopping in front of the fat lady's portrait I gave the password to let the students in.

***************

I followed my cousin through the castle as he led me toward my classroom. When we got there he said, "This is the classroom itself. Your office will be through that door and your room it through the other."

I nodded as I searched the rooms. They needed redecorating but they'd do. On the bed I'd sleep on I sat my things down.

Turning to my cousin I said, "You promise to explain everything tomorrow."

He nodded, "Yes when we go to Diagon Ally tomorrow I will explain everything. Right now just sleep and rest."

I smiled at him and took off the robe he had made me. Pulling back my hair my sleeve slipped and revealed my bandage.

"What happened?"

"Someone who both wanted me dead and alive gripped my wrist too hard. Snapped my wrist. It's healing so no prob."

He nodded and said "Rest well." Then he left to go.

***************

Thanks to all those who review. Keep them coming. lol