InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages ❯ Not Only Kids are Immature ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I actually owned Inuyasha, then the world would be a better place…well, for me, anyway! But alas, I don't, so the world is a better place for you instead. Oh, the injustices of life…

.

.

.

.

Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages

Chapter Nine

.

.

.

The afternoon business was proving to be rather slow, and as a result, Miroku was looking around the café listlessly, bored out of his mind. He enjoyed his work, but it could be so dull sometimes. Especially when he could be using his valuable time better by doing more interesting things.

'My free time this morning was such a waste. Oh, why couldn't I have seen the lovely Sango at least once today while I was out?' The thought made Miroku frown unhappily. 'I would have given anything to have gotten just one feel of her lovely form, but the only thing I got to feel was Inuyasha's fist.'

Rubbing his still aching head in obvious self-pity, Miroku suddenly sighed and slumped over the café counter in front of him with a dramatic flare. Shippo, who was standing several feet away while he counted out change for a customer, just ignored him.

"Why must love be so difficult?" Miroku sighed again and carefully cast a glance in Shippo's direction.

"Forget it." The kitsune finally acknowledged him, although he still didn't bother to look at him. "You've already tried that tactic at least three times in the last ten minutes. Besides, I shouldn't have to run this place for you alone again just so you can go chase after unsuspecting girls! You had your fun this morning, so get over it."

Realizing he wasn't getting anywhere, Miroku finally dropped his pitiful act and stood up straight. "Do you call nearly getting beaten to death by an angry hanyou FUN? And for no reason, I might add."

"Ha!"

The café owner fixed a wounded gaze on his employee. "Are you truly so callused to my plight? After being at death's door just this morning and running the risk of never seeing my beloved Sango again, is it too much to ask for a few small moments away to see her once more?" During this little speech, Miroku had raised his voice loud enough to be heard around the room.

"The poor dear, look how earnest he is!"

"I never thought little Shippo was so unfeeling! Can't he see the poor man is in love?"

"Who is this Sango girl away? I bet she doesn't have anything on me!"

After things continued along like that for several moments, a bright red flush started to creep over the younger man's face and Miroku had to work hard to conceal how smug he was feeling over his eminent victory. Surely Shippo would cave any second…

"True love is so rare these days."

"Poor little Shippo, he's probably just too young to understand still."

"I have a granddaughter I could set him up with. They would be so darling together!"

"Alright already, just get out of here before I strangle you!" The younger man nearly yelled, sick of all the pitying and speculative stares coming from the café's many patrons. "But remember Miroku, you owe me for this big time!" He hissed angrily with his tail swishing furiously behind him.

Shippo needn't have wasted his breath, though. The front door was already slamming shut behind Miroku's quickly retreating figure.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

"Sango-chan, are you sure you really want to come along?" Kagome asked for what had to be the tenth time as they prepared to leave their apartment. "I could always go ahead and do the grocery shopping this week, even though it's not my turn. It wouldn't be a problem, really! Don't you have a quiz on Monday that you need to study for?"

Sango rolled her eyes and hid a smile over the anxious gaze her friend was giving her. "I'm very sure, since you'll probably have your hands too full helping Inuyasha with his shopping to do ours. AND if I remember correctly, I'm not the only one who needs to study for that quiz."

Kagome blushed at the pointed reminder that they were in the same class, so obviously that excuse wouldn't work. "I'm sorry, Sango-chan! I'm really not trying to get rid of you or anything, I swear!"

"Uh huh…" Sango didn't believe a word of it. She was enjoying torturing her friend a little bit, though that wasn't the only reason she was insisting on tagging along. Who wouldn't want to see the odd sight of Inuyasha dealing with a child? The possible entertainment that situation presented sounded much too interesting to pass up.

Kagome reluctantly followed the other girl out the door and down the stairs, where they were supposed to meet Inuyasha and Rin in the apartment lobby. She couldn't really understand why she wanted to get rid of Sango so desperately, but the temptation to try and talk her out of it yet again was very strong.

When they reached the lobby, though, all such thoughts flew out the window.

"What the-" Kagome stopped to stare at the scene before her in confusion.

Inuyasha was standing just inside the glass door of the apartment building, casually holding onto the handle while the shadowed figure of Miroku alternately tugged on the handle, rapped on the glass, and begged for the hanyou to let go of it so he could come inside. Rin was watching the whole scene and giggling, thinking it was just a silly game.

"I swear, it was an accident!" Miroku's muffled voice could be heard through the door just as Inuyasha spotted the two girls. "I never meant to actually touch Kag-" Inuyasha's eyes narrowed in annoyance at what Miroku was about to say before he covertly pushed on the door, causing it to slam into Miroku's head.

"Oops! My hand slipped." The hanyou couldn't help but smirk at the sight of Miroku 'accidentally' sprawled out on the sidewalk. 'That should teach the lech for showing up so soon after touching Kagome like that. Even if he swears up and down that he's only here to see Sango, I still don't trust him!'

Meanwhile, Sango was watching the scene, along with Kagome and Rin, with a mix of horror and grim amusement. She was feeling fairly certain about why the other man had appeared, and she really didn't like the reason.

'Well,' She mused, trying to muster some hope. 'Maybe Inuyasha won't let him get inside the door and I won't have to deal with him. Miracles do happen on occasion.'

Unfortunately for her, though, even after that painfully hard hit, it hadn't taken long for Miroku to gather his wits and get back on his feet. He even managed to get inside the door while Inuyasha's guard was down.

So much for miracles.

"You know, Inuyasha, I believe hitting me with that door was rather uncalled for." Miroku gave Inuyasha a pointed look while he calmly dusted himself off in an attempt to regain some of his lost dignity. "Trying to kill me twice in one day is a bit much, even for you."

"I swear, it was an accident!" The half-demon mimicked his friend's earlier pleas.

While Inuyasha and Miroku continued to argue, Sango leaned over towards Kagome. "You know, I don't think I feel like going shopping right now after all." She whispered as quietly as she could to avoid drawing attention to herself. "I'll just head back upstairs! Later!"

Turning swiftly and ignoring Kagome's baffled expression, she almost managed to make a timely escape when someone suddenly grabbed her left hand and stopped her in her tracks.

"Sango! What a pleasant surprise!" Miroku smiled brightly at her when she reluctantly turned around. "I was just planning to head upstairs and talk to you, but I see there is no need!"

"Lucky me." She muttered under her breath.

Miroku ignored her sarcasm and continued to hold her hand. "I came to apologize to you about our last unfortunate encounter. I honestly meant no harm."

To anyone else he might have actually sounded convincing, but not to Sango. She just glared at him and chose not to respond.

"So," Miroku seemed oblivious to the tension in the air. "Did I hear you mention the store? I would be honored if you would allow me to accompany you on your errands so that I might buy some pain reliever." He rubbed his bruised head and gave her a mournful look, hoping for some pity.

"Well, I wasn't actually planning on going anymore…" Sango could have kicked herself right then, because for some strange reason, she was actually starting to feel sorry for him. Probably because she hadn't been the one to hurt him this time, so it didn't count.

Like a vulture, Miroku was quick to pick up on the hint of sympathy in her eyes. "Well then, do you by some chance have some pain reliever I can borrow?" He raised his eyebrows questioningly. "In your apartment, perhaps?"

Sango considered her options. Stay reasonably safe and go shopping in a group, or go up to her apartment with him alone. Hmmm, terribly hard choice.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Sango grabbed Kagome's hand and pulled her past Inuyasha, who had been watching Miroku like a hawk the entire time in case he happened to get too close to the wrong girl. "If we're going to go shopping, then let's go!"

She nearly ran out the door, dragging a very unfortunate Kagome behind her.

.

.

~*~*~*~*~*~

.

.

Kagome silently read down the shopping list that she'd written out before they'd left, trying to ignore everything going on around her so that she could concentrate. Every few moments, though, she would have to stop and look up.

"For the last time, put that down right now!" She snapped for what had to be the millionth time that afternoon. "You don't need it!"

Her command was obeyed, but very reluctantly.

Several moments later Kagome looked up again and nearly growled. "I SAID leave it alone and I mean it! Don't make me have to say it again!"

Inuyasha frowned and dropped the packages of Ramen he had been digging through, looking for his favorite flavors. Didn't she know that Ramen was one of the four basic food groups?

Sighing, Kagome looked back down and started marking things off the list, but once again that only lasted for a moment before she found herself looking up at a couple of new offenders.

"I told you earlier not to touch that! And you, stop hitting him!"

Miroku meekly backed his hand away from Sango's hip at Kagome's sharp reprimand, and Sango put down her hand but continued to watch him warily.

Shaking her head, Kagome looked at the group of people around her. 'Wouldn't you know it, the one child in the group is behaving better than most of the adults! I seriously worry about the kind of friends I have sometimes.'

Sadly enough, it was true. Rin was standing patiently by Kagome's side, watching the others with a curious gaze as they continued to get into trouble time after time. There was just no understanding adults sometimes.

"Sango, maybe you should go off on your own to finish your shopping." Kagome finally suggested out of sheer exasperation after another round of grabbing and slapping. Other people in the store were starting to stare and Kagome just couldn't take it anymore. "Leave Miroku here with us."

"No way! Then the lech might start groping YOU!" Inuyasha blurted out without thinking, which earned him an evil glare from Sango in response.

Miroku had the most angelic look on his face. "I would never dare touch Kagome-sama in such an inappropriate manner-"

"Like hell you wouldn't!" Inuyasha grabbed the front of Miroku's shirt and glared at him.

Sango also stepped forward looking ready to do some serious bodily harm, when Kagome finally decided she'd had enough.

"Stop it, NOW!"

Her voice echoed through the store and everyone turned to look at her, surprised at the sudden outburst.

"Inuyasha," She continued once she was sure she had everyone's attention. "Why don't you go look for the soy sauce? I think I might have missed it a couple of aisles back. Sango, you go off and take care of our shopping. Miroku, stand right there and don't move an inch if you want to live another day." Her voice had taken on a commanding edge as she talked, causing Miroku to gulp nervously.

"Now wait just a minute! I don't want-" Inuyasha began to protest, not at all happy about leaving her with Miroku anywhere in the vicinity, much less alone with him.

"GO!"

Kagome pointed down the aisle and even Inuyasha knew better than to argue with her when she was that upset. Grumbling, he jogged out of sight, determined to hurry back before Miroku could have a chance to get over his temporary fear. Sango had long ago cleared out when given the chance.

When everyone was out of her way except for Miroku and Rin, Kagome allowed herself to breathe a sigh of relief before going back to her list.

"He certainly does take after his father."

Kagome jerked her head up to look at Miroku, surprised at his sudden statement out of the blue. "You mean Inuyasha? Did you know his father?"

He nodded. "I've hung around Inuyasha for years. His father was known for being rather temperamental and violent, and it's obvious Inuyasha shares those particular personality traits. Unfortunately." The last word was muttered underneath his breath.

Not able to resist the chance to gather a little more information about Inuyasha's past, Kagome decided to question Miroku further. "So that means you probably knew his brother. What's he like?"

"The exact opposite of Inuyasha." Miroku had been slowly inching his way over towards her until a murderous look from Kagome halted him. It was obvious that he'd only been using the conversation to distract her. "He's cool, calm, calculating, and ruthless…and that's when he's in a good mood."

"Then why would he take on a child?" Kagome glanced down at Rin, who was crouched on the floor, interested in a small bug crawling across it.

"Who knows?" Miroku shrugged his shoulders as he watched a very attractive woman sort through the Ramen nearby. "It's not something I or Inuyasha ever thought he would do, so I really couldn't begin to guess why. Maybe he just did it to make Inuyasha's life miserable. That always did seem to be one of his favorite pastimes, after all."

When it became obvious that Miroku had lost all interest in the conversation do to the distraction in a tight skirt, Kagome allowed herself to become lost in thought. So when Miroku wandered away to 'talk' to the woman he'd been watching, she actually let him go without a fight.

'I wish I knew more about what's going on.' She eyed Rin speculatively. 'I wonder how much Rin actually knows? It probably wouldn't hurt to try talking to her one day when her 'Uncle Inu' isn't around to stop me from being nosey.'

Just then, Inuyasha came flying back around the corner of the aisle as if the devil himself were on his heels and a bottle of soy sauce in his hand. Kagome decided to set her thoughts aside for later. She had almost a whole month to dig for information, but for right now, she had two very helpless people to shop for.

"Men." She muttered.

.

.

.

.

I had so much fun with this chapter! (As if I don't have fun writing EVERY chapter) The scene with Kagome treating them all like children had to be my favorite. Especially Inuyasha digging through the ramen, lol! Anyway, thanks for reading this chapter and sticking with the story this far! ^_~