InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choice of Destiny ❯ Looking Into the Mirror ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ I do not own the characters off of the anime series Inuyasha, but everything else is mine. SOOOOO copying anything of mine is plagiarism! ~

Choice of Destiny

By angelwings

Chapter 5 ~ Looking Into the Mirror

Kagome pulled the black leather glove over her bandaged hand. She winced as the leather rubbed against the gauze, but soon she became accustomed to the irregular pressure. Slowly she curled her fingers testing the feel.

Oh, was it sore.

Carefully she picked up the bow in her hand. At least it didn't hurt that bad. Her palm was tender, yet it felt better behind the glove.

Next she picked up her jacket and pushed her arm through the first sleeve. Her jaw locked. She refused to cry. She was not some baby.

Besides they wouldn't let her go if they knew just how much pain she was in.

With her jacket now on, the girl tentatively pulled the strap of her quiver over her head. When the leather rubbed her back she nearly cried out loud. Her back was on fire.

Blinking back the tears the priestess stood straight and tall. Quietly she picked up her bow with her gloved hand. She bit her lip. Without hesitation she tightened her grip on the bow. Her hand howled in anguish unable to stand the pressure. Tears sprung and unfortunately she could not hold them back.

She slammed her good hand against the wall. Why was she so weak?! She was always the one who needed help, who needed saving. Everyone was so much stronger than her. Sure she had talent, but it wasn't in physical strength. She was always the damsel.

There were times when she went to save someone else, but what good was she. When it came time for the fight she was the one protected.

Kagome sniffed, 'I need to calm down. I'm too emotional right now with everything going on.'

It was decided they would head towards the well. They could only pray that Naraku had yet to figure out that the shards were the key to traveling through the well.

It had taken quite longer to decide whether she was allowed to come or not. She was still far from healed and no one wanted to place her in more danger. Of course, to leave her behind was even worse. If Naraku didn't know how to enter the well he would come for her again. Without them she would easily be taken.

After another few hours of convincing them she was suitable for travel they had separated to pack.

Painfully Kagome stretched trying to relax her body. As her joints popped she let out a sigh.

Was she a pebble? She felt like one. She didn't belong in the shoe and she was becoming more of a hindrance every step of the way.

Angrily she shook her head, 'Stop it. Your letting everything get to you.'

Sucking in a deep breath she straightened her shoulders and step out into the clearing. The fire was dowsed and the camp was clean. Everyone was standing at the door talking amongst themselves. Once she had opened the door the conversations had died and she was left to stare at them.

Automatically she put on a fake smile, 'Don't let them see.'

"Lets get going" Kagome jogged forward and grabbed Miroku and Inuyasha's elbows, "Every moment counts."

Sango ran up to the priestess's side, "Kagome, are you sure you can handle this?"

'You make it sound like I normally couldn't.'

The woman didn't show her vulnerability through the toothy grin, "Don't worry. I feel a lot better now. All that matters now is Naraku."

They watched the girl trot ahead, Kilala and Shippo running beside her. Sango glanced at the white haired demon and saw his worry. Kagome was obviously covering up her pain. Only a few hours ago she had been passed out.

What could they do to stop her though?

_________________________________

Kagome tried to keep quite as she panted. At the moment she was ahead of everyone. She didn't want to fall behind or they might find reason to stop. It had already been several hours since they had started out. They didn't have time for rest! The well was at least two nights away, possibly five if they kept stopping to rest. She would have to set the pace.

She inhaled sharply as she stumbled over a tree root. She hoped they didn't really notice. Kagome shifted her quiver and took off jogging once more.

The wind blew quietly and the clouds rolled overhead in a dark shadow. A storm brewed, but showed no visibly life. Perhaps if there was a storm still brewing Naraku had yet to leave this time period. The darkness seemed to follow him.

There was so little time.

What a joke. Here she was a woman who could go from past to present in a heartbeat and yet she still fought time's limits. She had no power to control time; she could only use it.

Was she just using time? Was she abusing it?

She had never initially meant to time warped, but once she did she could not refuse taking more trips to the past, a time that had yet to meet her presence. Maybe at first her trips were her responsibility of regaining the shards of the jewel she broke, but after a while the trips became visits. She could not keep her heart away from there. Because of her visits she had burrowed her way into people's lives.

Once there she found a belonging in the path she now walked. She didn't want to live in a façade. She couldn't bear to face her life back in the present. Meaningless relationships and pointless desires made up her time. She did love her home there and her family, but beyond the shrine it was without direction, without purpose.

'I sound like some cheesy movie.'

Gosh, her side was beginning to burn.

"Kagome, wait!"

Immediately she stopped and glanced over her shoulder, "What is it?"

Inuyasha was sniffing the air, all demons behind him doing the same. His gold eyes narrowed on the shadowy forest ahead, "Something is nearby."

A roar bellowed further up the path making everyone stiffen. It sounded big.

Kagome immediately whipped out her bow her hand already setting her arrow.

'No time.'

She blew a strand of hair from her eyes and aimed the shadows in front of her. Inuyasha and Kouga were hurrying to her side when another howl rattled from the left. Both demons slid to a halt and faced the new direction. Kagome changed her aim, and bit the inside of her cheek.

She wondered what they were facing. It was most likely a demon.

Now a growl came from behind. Sango faced the rear, her boomerang ready.

"Is it more than one?" the demon hunter shouted.

Miroku scowled, "No, I think its just one. It's trying to find a weakness in our defenses."

"Brothers" Kouga turned to his pack, "Protect your sister."

The wolf-men nodded and surrounded Kagome. She scowled, but kept quite, 'Don't waste your strength on me.'

Over the next few minutes growls and roars erupted from the shadows each time from a different location. Inuyasha kept changing his position upon each sound, always keeping himself between it and her. Nerves were on edge as sweat beaded everyone's face. Nervously the priestess sought for a jewel shard hoping to reveal their predator, but it was vain hope.

"It's playing with us" Inuyasha hissed.

'It's trying to stall us' Kagome flinched, 'Darn it! Naraku is trying to reach the well before we get there.'

Without hesitating, the priestess broke from the protective enclosure of her comrades and raced towards the trees. Inuyasha and Kouga were after her in moments, "Kagome! What are you doing?!"

She growled at the menacing darkness and kept her arrow lowered. Her eyes tried to penetrate the empty blackness, "Show yourself or I will just keep going towards the well."

Whatever was hiding from their eyes took instant notice of her break and burst from the treetops directly at her. Kagome swung her bow and shot her arrow. The whirling pink comet shot upwards heading straight for the land dragon's heart, but in the last moment the demon dodged. His shadow washed over the priestess as he fell to the ground. Kagome pushed off to the side, just narrowly missing the dragon's heavy claws. The woman rolled several feet through mud tried to gain some distance. Biting her lip in pain, she quickly stood while favoring her injured side.

The dragon lurched forward giving her only a scant heartbeat to jump out of the way. Kagome ducked as his tail swung over her head. Looking up she saw Inuyasha falling from the air his sword blaring gold. Kouga landed in front of her snarling at the giant lizard. Her shoulders went slack.

They were taking over the battle, and when that happened it didn't take long to end. The dragon screeched as his body was halved. His life snuffed out as he gave a final whimper. He had failed.

Blood polluted the air as the corpse collapsed to the mud. Sango grinned, "Nice job, Inuyasha. It only took one hit."

The white haired demon ignored the complement and stomped over to the priestess. Kagome lifted her chin prepared. His face shoved into hers as he shouted, "What were you doing, you stupid girl?"

"I was trying to lure out the demon" she hissed angrily, "It didn't plan on unveiling itself any time soon. I took the risk. You didn't need to come to my aid."

"Well you sure needed it" he hollered, "You almost were killed!"

Kagome frowned at him and kept her chin from trembling. Steaming to the brim the woman turned on her heel and stomped on down the path, much to the shock of the group. Kouga scowled at Inuyasha, "Keep your tongue, mutt. That is no way to speak to my mate."

"SHE IS NOT YOUR MATE!" the dog yelled in the wolf's face, "And she will never be your mate!"

Kouga glared at his rival, "If you are not going to stake a claim for her, than shut up, dog. You hold no room for argument."

The hanyou flinched his face shocked by the comment. Silently he glanced at the priestess, who was staring sadly at the quarreling duo. In a flash, she spun and began running towards the well. She ignored the pain running through her body and she ignored the requests pleading with her to stop.

He didn't mean it like that.

She knew he didn't.

But it hurt.

Her heart accepted what she believed, but never her head.

He would never admit it. He would never say it.

'He loves me.'

After a few minutes her pain slammed into her lungs and she slowed to a walk. Angrily she bit her lower lip. It was her fault, not his. Long ago she had chosen the path she was to walk, by his side, but never with him.

She kept walking glove pressed against her wet face, 'I just never thought it would be so hard.'

'Every moment reminds me of my vow. I beat myself up so much every time I'm reminded of it. How could I accept just being there unable to savor in his affection? Then I look and see him. I know. I know why I let it.'

'I love him.'

Kagome pulled back her hand and saw red pants, 'Inuyasha.'

Slowly her eyes traveled up the pant legs meeting a pale face. The priestess gave a familiar response and recoiled instantaneously, "Kikyo."