InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choice of Destiny ❯ Hold Fast ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I didn't create Inuyasha!

I did create this!

Remember no stealing.

Choice of Destiny

By angelwings

Chapter 11 ~ Hold Fast

For the millionth time that night she looked up at the starlit sky. Biting her lip, Kagome ran her hand over the quiver, counting the feather tips. Her friends sat just below the rise of the hill, her family closest to her.

She was officially the bait. No one had wanted to accept the time traveler's strategy, but Kagome refused to do it any other way.

'He'll come for me. That's what he wants.'

She claimed that it was a way to draw him out, to let her be alone at the well when he appeared. Actually her intentions were to keep him as far away from her family as possible. Destiny had revealed that the time traveler was in no danger. She would live through whatever ordeal was released tonight. She just had to handle Naraku.

Kagome swallowed as she saw the first bit of warm colors drifting into the sky.

It was time.

The priestess readied her bow, loosely aiming the point at the ground. He could come from any direction.

She exhaled, trying to relax. Her heart was hammering and her joints were locked. Darting her eyes over the landscape, she shifted her weight. The air was heavy, thickening in layers on her skin. Her hand trembled, her arrow jostling noisily in its place.

"Keep it together," the miko mumbled, her jaw clenching, "You can do this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She wasn't ready to tell them her decision. If she told them she was leaving then they would be unfocused during the battle. A mistake might cost lives.

Straightening her back, the time traveler brought her focus back to the awaiting army. She swallowed and lifted her chin.

"Let's prepare."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Abruptly a searing pain crashed into her head, and the woman pressed her brow into her palm. It spiraled wildly, burrowing into her skull. Shards were approaching at a painful rate! Hissing on a breath of air, the priestess mumbled, "He's here!"

Pushing off from the well, the miko lifted her weapon.

The bow was knocked aside before she ever got in her shot. Her eyes followed her weapon as it somersaulted through the air. Before she could even start to turn another, a force rammed into her exposed cheek. Upon impact she groaned and soared backwards, her spine arching.

'He's not in the mood to play.'

In a wild, painful tumble the woman landed fifty yards away from the well.

Immediately she scrambled to her feet, her face turning up to see the improved Naraku charging her.

'Oh, my god!"

Inuyasha jumped in front of her his sword slicing at the demon's head. Pulling apart the two demons glared, eyes churning gold and red. Cracking his knuckles in anticipation, the dark hybrid smirked, "Always thinking you can stop me, even when the odds are about to fall down on you."

"You will not touch her," the hanyou roared, his eyes sputtering flashes of scarlet.

Kagome got to her feet, herself rooted behind her beloved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Inuyasha, when Naraku shows, I need you to distract him."

The hanyou nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome bit her lip, 'Great. Already things are screwing up. I lost my bow!"

The miko whirled, seeking out her weapon, but she barely swept a glance over the hill when the sickle's cold chain wrapped around her neck. The blade glinted as it whirled around, shortening with each wrap. The only thing that kept the sickle from slicing off her head was the grace of luck, the blade's ridge clattering against the metal links. Kagome scrambled to undo the lasso seconds before she was yanked backwards. The woman didn't fight against the motion fearing her neck might break from the pressure.

When she hit the ground, automatically the priestess grabbed the part of the chain that wasn't wrapped around her neck. If Kohaku pulled again on the sickle her neck would never feel the brute of the force.

She dug her heels into the earth and strangled the chain. Kohaku glared at her, his eyes empty of life. The chain grew taunt as their hands began to tug. Her tennie shoes slid forward. Kagome groaned, as she pulled hard on the clinking chain.

"KOHAKU!" Sango appeared from nowhere and tackled her demon-possessed brother to the ground. The chain was lost from the hunter's grip as the two siblings rolled through the ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'The shard in Kohaku's back must be retrieved" Kagome instructed while rolling the incomplete Shikon Jewel in her fingertips.

Miroku glanced nervously at the demon huntress in the corner, "What about Kohaku? Do you think he will die if we remove the shard, Kagome?"

"I'm praying that the shard has been in his back so long that it has been given enough time to heal his body. We can only hope that once the shard is removed he will survive."

Sango was nearly in tears. This had been her greatest fear for the last years. The day would come to remove the shard from her brother, and now was that time. She had to be strong.

Lifting her boomerang strap over her head, the demon hunter gave the priestess a determined look, "He's my brother. I'll do the honor."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unraveling the weapon from her neck, Kagome hurried to the rolling fighters. All she could see was a tangle of limbs. Doing her best to avoid the swings and kicks, the miko put the boy into a headlock Sango had taught her. Automatically the huntress was at her feet, sword in hand.

Kagome stared at her sister through the corner of her eyes, seeing the slight hesitation in the warrior's hand. Setting her jaw the huntress growled, "Where is it?"

The miko's hand passed over the fighter's back, the shard visible only to her, "Here."

Kohaku let out the most heart-wrenching scream as the sword dug into his flesh. Ebony liquid gushed from the wound and both maidens feared it was too late for their friend. Kagome dug her fingers pulling the wound further open. Blackness covered her hands and the odor invaded her nostrils. A dark pink shine broke through the cloud of darkness floating over the gouge.

'The shard.'

Kohaku went limp and Sango lifted her shaking hand. Her fingers uncurled revealing the piece to the puzzle. Kagome immediately took the shard, her miko powers purifying the darkness within the rosy broken glass.

Both of their eyes fell to the form supported between them.

The boy was lifeless hanging in the women's arms. His fingertips were limp against his weapon's handle. Sango sniveled quietly as she cradled her brother's body to her chest, "Please, wake up. Please, wake up, Kohaku."

Kagome's eyes filled with tears, "I was so sure. I thought he would make it. I'm sorry, Sango."

The woman shuddered, "It's not your fault, Kagome. Perhaps it better he died this way, never knowing of the murderers he committed."

It was a bitter acceptance.

Reaching for her sister, the miko whispered, "I'm so sorry, Sango."

"Go, Kagome" the demon killer said, her face already flushed from crying, "Go do what you have to. I'll be fine for now."

It was not time for lagging. Kagome shifted, uncomfortable with leaving the woman in such a broken condition, "Are you sure?"

"GO!" Sango shouted, trying her hardest to motivate the time traveler, "You have to stop Naraku before he destroys another life."

The miko bit her lip. Pulling out her necklace from under her green tank top, Kagome gently replaced the broken shard with her globe of the Shikon Jewel.

The rosy glow enveloped the three figures lighting up the entire field. Inuyasha looked up from his spot on the ground, "LOOK OUT!"

Still holding the warm power in her hands, the time traveler snapped her gaze from the jewel. Naraku was heading towards her again, his eyes burning like a pair of red headlights.

Kagome immediately stepped in front of her unprepared sibling, 'My job is to protect my family.'

His arm stretched forward as he ran towards her. Kagome stiffened as the yards between them shortened. Naraku was almost close enough to take her neck in a vice hold when he was knocked to the ground by the impact of an arrow hitting his shoulder.

Kikyo already had another arrow notched. Aiming from one hundred yards away the priestess easily got her other arrow in the lord's injured arm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Whatever you can do to help, Kikyo, we would appreciate the assistance."

The dead corpse nodded, uncaring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome smiled her gratitude towards her mirror, and the reflection nodded in response. The time traveler faced her enemy as he yanked out the two short spears. He scowled at the woman, before lurching at her.

The girl tried to dodged, yet his foot got in the way of her side. Ribs broke upon contact and Kagome ripped into the ground, her jacket sleeve coming off at the seams. The miko sucked in a deep breath trying to hold back the scream. Clutching her side the miko pulled herself to her knees. Looking over her shoulder she saw Naraku already five feet away from her.

'God, he's faster than anything I've seen!'

Throbbing fear filled her chest as Kagome realized her entire back was exposed to him. Just before his hand could release a fatal attack a tiny set of jaws latched onto the man's neck, bringing him to the ground. A fury of reddish-brown fur was all over the fused demon, biting and clawing. Naraku arched his back, roaring a violent earthquake.

Grabbing his attacker the man threw the being to the ground.

The creature rolled across the earth and righted itself hissing threateningly. Blue fire flew out from under the brown fox enveloping him. His red eyes flared daring his opponent to charge his unbreakable shield of cerulean.

Staring in awe of the new transformation, the girl could barely pant out her son's name, "Shippo?"

"Run, Kagome!" the fox hollered, his voice slightly deeper in his demon form.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hanyou glared at the small fox demon, '"Your responsible for Kagome's protection."

Shippo lifted his chin, "I promise he'll never get to her."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naraku whirled on her suddenly remembering his original intentions. Kagome scrambled backwards as his hands narrowed on her throat. In moments Shippo was on the demon's back gnawing at the neck behind the dark robes. The miko flattened herself against the ground as his hands barely missed her. Naraku once again ignored her trying to throw the kit off of him.

Kagome grimaced as she watched her son desperately struggle to keep out of reach, 'I was suppose to have my bow, but if I don't hurry-Shippo will"

Her mouth fell open, her throat letting out a scream as her son flew into the stone well, yards away, "SHIPPO!"

Red orbs snapped back to her. The wolves were her next rescuers coming in from all sides, putting her out of reach.

"Kagome, hurry and move" Kouga pulled her off the ground, away from the murderous slaughter. His eyes never left his brothers as they began to thud to the earth, lifeless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kouga, you and your pack will be the back up in case Naraku tries anything."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ignoring the grief for his family, the wolf leader pushed the girl aside, "Get your bow."

She stumbled, unable to look away from the charging Kouga and flying corpses, 'This is all wrong! No one was supposed to die. It's happening too fast!'

Inuyasha landed amongst the fighters swiping at the morbid creature.

She was putting everyone endanger again.

'Darn it, Kagome! Stop playing around! Get over there!"

Forgetting about her lack of weaponry, Kagome pumped her legs. Kouga was thrown behind her, collapsing in a disorganized heap.

She was in charge of this battle. A general did not sit on the sidelines!

Kagome jumped over several dead bodies, her eyes focused on the towering monster that was battling her love. Inuyasha slammed into the ground, his fangs bared in a painful grimace.

Kagome failed to see the light springing from jewel bouncing around her neck. Her entire focus was centered on the creature that had brought so much suffering to the world. Though it had been only a few short days since Naraku had set his sight on her, Kagome felt as if she had always been his arch foe.

She was responsible to stop him.

No one else was meant to suffer!

She could not allow it!
The last of her defensive soldiers disappeared as she continued to charge. Miroku and Kilala were struck by a blast of Naraku's hot powers, tossing them to the edge of the trees. Both were unconscious upon impact with the earth.

Tears of bitter fury sparkled in her eyes as she crossed the last yards to the monster, just as the demon turned to face her.

His head snapped away, the noise of her hand hitting his face floating above the hill. Kagome panted, her adrenaline still pumping, as she glared at him.

Slowly his face swiveled around to stare at her, his red-coaled eyes frowning at her. Kagome blinked when she saw a definite red mark swelling on the demon lord's face. The other's had done less damage to him than what she had just done.

His hands rushed forward clutching both her arms in an unmovable grip. Kagome growled loudly as he lifted her off her feet. Eyes wide with panic, Inuyasha scrambled off the ground.

"This is between you and I," the man's hissed, his eyes transferring pure hate into her mind. Kagome squeezed her eyes shut pushing back the throb in her skull. He held her away from his chest like a won trophy. Her breathing became laborious as his malevolent abyss of powers stretched over her.

Sensations of a deep freeze traveled through her blood battling the deep warmth of her soul. Sweat swelled on her brow as she began to spasm from the overload thrashing. The two forces, her purity and his emptiness, were struggling to cancel each other out.

"KAGOME!"

His faint voice penetrated through her crazed disembodiment, trying to coax her back to reality.

Her eyes dragged open, barely able to move. She could see him. Through a muddle haze, she saw him desperately pounding Tessiaga against a transparent black wall. He threw down his sword, now changing his tactics to claw at the shield.

He was helpless.

"NO!" Inuyasha screeched, falling to his knees, "Kagome!"

The jewel gradually was dimming, turning a shallow gray. Her inside felt as if they were collapsing. Intense needles of pain stabbed at her joints, her hands frantically trying to grab at something to stop the torment.

Sometime during her dizzy state, Naraku had pulled her closer to him bringing her just in reach of his chest. Both of her hands, to her sudden surprise, pressed against his robes and automatically glowed a severe pink.

The two foes let out a simultaneous howl of suffering, swiftly letting go of each other. Hunching over the ground, their bodies jerking involuntarily.

Two large holes were singed through his robes, his flesh open and bleeding. Concealing her hands from the burning air, Kagome shielding her palms with her body. Her miko powers had surfaced again, burning off her glove.

'My hands are on fire!'

Kagome began to uncurl her fingers revealing the horrendous damage, skin peeled away and red leaking out. The slight movement sent immediate pain through her nerves.

The time traveler glared at the demon, prepared to accept any fate given to her. It was so obvious to her now as she watched Naraku shakily standing. He was tainted, a creation of hatred and treachery. She was his opposite, his poison.

Just like he was hers.

Of course, no one else could beat him. It wasn't by way of physical strength; it was by something less visible. To determine who would be left standing was by who was more potent, her purity or his infection.

Kagome stumbled forward with wide-open palms. He withdrew from her, understanding he had endangered himself.

She refused to cower, refused to yield.

'I will stop him, even if I have to walk through Hell to do it.'

The time traveler attacked him, throwing her feebly body, at his muscular form. Her hands flattened against his body, lava heat assaulting his flesh. He plucked at her hands, fighting the primal instinct to panic. He clawed at her, slapping at her face and scratching her arms with abnormally long fingernails. Kagome jostled around, unfazed. Pushing forward she endured each slap, each scratch, each punch and kick, with determined purpose. Her family watched from outside the prison, their face's twisted in horror at their love one taking such a beating.

At one point, the woman's knees struck the ground. His knee met her face, breaking her nose. Blood ran from her raw nostrils as she turned back to him, not feeling the torment of the blow.

Her palm vacuumed to his waist, a pink ray ripping out of his skin. Naraku screamed as a piece of glass dragged out of his side. Kagome stared at the floating shard, awed at the brightness spilling out of the darkness. Ebony blood squirted from the large gaping wound. Her fingers followed their own mind, curling over the tiny fragment.

So drawn into the shard was she, that Kagome was completely taken off guard when Naraku slapped her across the face. She pounded into the hard earth, her cheek supporting three long scratches.

That woke her up.

Like a spring, she was back on her feet, her eyes searching out the locations of each shard hidden within his body. Catching a glimpse of a twinkling star in the night, the girl clasped her fingers over the position of the fragment, her powers drawing out the broken jewel pieces.

Naraku's howls of pain reached such high, intense pitches that it forced hands to protect tender ears. Kagome winced at the decibels hitting her eardrums, but she never moved her hands away. Several more shards were retrieve, blood pouring from her ears.

Frantically, Naraku tried with all his powers and strength to move, at least withdraw from her probing fingers, but he was frozen by the wracks of pain. His fury rose, unable to accept a child was defeating him, more importantly the reincarnation of the woman he had lusted over for so long.

Bitter hate fizzled, mingling with his torturous burning metal aches. Soon one could see the white of his eyes unveiling. A wild psychotic look overthrew his face, his teeth lengthening to sharp points.

Too indulged in her search, the battered miko never noticed the change in her foe. One shard after the other she pulled out, throwing them across the field and away from their reach.

'The last of them are just below his heart.'

Unrestrained by disgust and driven by pure lust to end it all, Kagome shoved her entire arm into the demon's chest. Naraku leaned back his head, freeing the broken shriek. Her fingers sunk deeper, burrowing through the thick layers of bloody tissue. Her fingertips enclosed over the group of shards, the empty blackness in the broken shavings wilting away at her pure touch. Kagome sucked in the air, her lungs stinging as she ripped out a wad of flesh, blood, and shards.

She stared at the last puzzle pieces. This was the answer to it all. This would set everything right.

The pink diamonds were flung from her fingertips as he kicked her in the gut. The tiny jewels tumbled through the glass, Kagome falling to her knees in a hunch over their position.

She exhaled deeply and looked up at her opponent's face as it shook in throbbing torture. She swallowed.

Standing before her was Naraku, in full demon form.

The redness of his eyes swallowed the whiteness in his orbs. Rows of daggers opened a dangerous prison and released a forked tongue. His murky robes tore apart, his muscles bulging through the seams. The human nose dragged out into a long snout, flaring like red horse nostrils. Steam streaked from his panting face, pouring a foul odor at the time traveler. Dark hairs sprung out of gray-splotched skin and covered most of his body in random patches.

Kagome gasped, 'He's transformed into a full baboon demon!'

He stooped forward, his lip curled in a drooling snarl. Black hair fell over his face a single coal glaring at her immobile form.

'Demon blood rage. God, I've screwed up!'

His clawed hands pushed her shoulders to the ground. Kagome blinked rapidly, she hadn't even seen him move. Next he straddled her stomach, her legs forced to lay still with his ankles. His jaws opened, ready to tear her face apart in a single motion.

'Do something!'

With her mind in a state of confusion and panic, the girl did all that she could. She pulled at his arms, trying to move him off her. It was so futile of a hope for her that she was unable to see her own doubt.

She was, after all, desperate.

A two hundred pound demon was on top of her, pressing her into the ground. His hands drug over her collarbone and wrapped around her pale neck. The very life was being squeezed out of her.

She had met this position before, been at the mercy of some opponent.

He had always come to save her, though. When she was so close to crossing that line he had come, as her white knight.

But she knew she was alone right now.

Was she meant to be alone in this dire moment, to rely on herself and no one else?

She was more than willing to except help.

Or was this a way of Destiny helping her protect her family? As long as they were outside Naraku's shield than they were out of his reach.

Kagome attempted to inhale oxygen, but he wouldn't allow it. In the far corners of her mind a thin veil began to creep towards her. If she went unconscious, then the match would be over.

She squirmed again, reaching up and pulling at his forearms. He didn't even budge under the strain. Needle-like tingles ran up her arms, the veil drawing closer.

'Don't you dare black out!'

Her voice gurgled faintly, her annoying attempt at a growl, as she dug her fingernails into his skin. The jewel pulsed to life, shining a whitish sun between the two. She squeezed her eyes close, her mouth opened into a silent scream. Heat instantaneously built under her palms, becoming as strong as Hell's tongue.

It grew, churning into an immeasurable temperature.

Her eyes opened, dead and dim. Gray doll fuzz floated past her almond orbs.

She felt warm all over, like she was sweating on a summer beach without a single drop of oil leaking out of her pours.

Her eyes focused on Naraku's ashy face. He was grimacing, pain etched throughout his stretched face. Kagome blinked when, his face was becoming disoriented again. The miko nearly gasped as realizing the giant demon had become literally ash, crumpling to the grass and covering it in a gray winter. In seconds her grip lost the firmness it held, his body now was completely mush.

The time traveler's hands went limp falling to the ground.

It was over.

All that she had fought for had finally come to its end.

She stared up at the stars, Naraku shield slowly fading away. She watched the white light twinkling with the moon glowing brighter than she had ever seen it shine. It was like the universe was yelling out in victory.

A soft giggle crawled up her throat, 'It's over. It's taken four long years, but it's finally over.'

"KAGOME!"

Inuyasha's face got in her view, blocking the pretty sky, "Kagome, come on say something?"

The miko slowly smiled, "Never call me a weak human, ever again."

Taking off guard, the hanyou blinked, "Huh?"

Laughing, the girl shook her head, her eyes drawn back to the stars past his white locks, "Thank you, Destiny."

__________________________________________

The two pink shards tumbled into her hand, pulsating in perfect unity with the jewel around her neck. Kagome looked up with a smile of gratitude at the wolf leader.

He looked into her eyes, soft warmth passing between them. It had taken nearly two hours of fighting with the wolf demon, but she had finally retrieved the last shards from his legs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Get this in your thick skull! I am not and never will be your mate!"

"That's not true!" his pride shouted back. He refused to quit the hunt after four years. So many hours of fighting the mutt over her began to replay in his head, nagging him.

"You and I are destined!" he growled, stepping forward, almost trying to intimidate her into submission, "How can you deny me?"

Kagome rubbed her temples, "Darn it, Kouga."

She was so exhausted from the last hour of crossed words that she decided she had to just give him any explanation to shut up.

"I'm going back to my time!" she yelled, commanding silence over the small family in Kaede's hut, "I'm going back to the future."

Not a word was born following the woman's outcry.

She bowed her head; she didn't want it this way.

"I've decided I'm going to stay in my time" she whispered announcing the obvious, "That's where I need to be."

It was so definite to their ears. There was no sound of doubt or anxiety, only a sorrow swimming in her voice. Her mind was set in her choice.

Sango pulled away from her brother lying on the floor, letting Kohaku's exhaustion pull him into sleep. The huntress stepped tentatively towards her sister, "When do you plan to leave?"

'Right now.'

"As soon as I can" Kagome replied instead, "I wanted to say goodbye first."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last two shards fell into place, completing the orb into a perfect sphere. For a moment the final piece sparkled in happy reunion. Her fingers imprisoned the jewel and the time traveler turned to face the hill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The elderly woman, who had guided her for so long, wrapped her arms around the time traveler, "May ye life be blessed, child."

Kagome clutched Kaede, realizing that another one of her grandmothers was stepping out of her life, "Thank you for watching out for me all these years."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She trudged towards her destination, her footfalls rising with the uphill earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I hope the best for the two of you" Kagome took Miroku's cured hand, "Please, don't kill each other once I leave."

"Never in a million years would I kill my wife-to-be" the monk chuckled, with a lopsided grin.

"I don't think I could keep that vow, however" Sango smiled, trying to ignore the tears falling amongst the room, "If he gropes me or any other woman, he dies."

An empty laugh rippled through the hut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome bit her lip, checking over everything she had. If she forgot anything, it would be left behind. She would only see it again as an artifact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shippo lifted his chin, trying to be adult-like with the farewell, "You won't forget me will you, Kagome."

"Never" she whispered crushing him to her bosom, "How could I ever forget a son so courageous as you."

His small blue eyes widened at the title. The small demon had never actually claimed the time traveler as his foster mother. When she claimed him, however, it felt so right, so perfect. He could no longer hold back his grief.

He was losing another parent.

She cuddled him, feeling guilty she was deserting him, but she couldn't bring him to her time. If someone ever found about the fox demon, who knew what scandal would evolve? The time traveler shuddered as she envisioned men in white lab coats entertaining wild experiments on the kitsune.

"I love you . . . mother."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome sniveled, slowing to a stop in front of the stone circle. Her hands tightened in a clasp of prayer over the jewel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She stepped outside, powerless to bear the load of emotions inside.

They would leave as soon as the villagers were gathered. Kaede refused to see the girl slip away without a proper farewell. To stay longer would make the farewell sting too much. She would sit there thinking of her family on the other side, the broken remains of her life. Of course, she didn't sell her blood relatives short; it was just that a part of her true family was being taken away.

Kagome's chin trembled, tears dripping, 'I wish it was over with already.'

Kikyo appeared from around the corner and the time traveler quickly straightened.

The woman strode forward, elegant as always. Kagome rubbed her battered jacket, the sleeve newly sewed on. She was so small as Kikyo stood with her robes flowing majestically in the slight breeze.

It was only right such a goddess got his heart.

Kagome forced out a smile, "I hope eternity is kind to the both of you."

"So you are going to just let him walk away" the corpse ignored her reincarnation, instead crossing her arms, "Just let him go without a fight?"

The girl opened her mouth. When no words came she chose to give a small nod.

Kikyo narrowed her eyes; suspicions surfacing again even after their yearlong truce. She wasn't willing to disappear into Hell without Inuyasha.

Kagome rubbed her arm again, "Can't you realize that all I care about is that he's happy? His heart first belonged to you, and still does. I cannot separate him from his heart."

It was Kikyo's turn to be silent.

Kagome shoved her hands into her pockets and stepped passed the priestess, "Thanks for all of your help, Kikyo. I hope someday I'll be able to reach the level you stand on."

She didn't care if Kikyo never thought of her again. Kagome just felt a need to express to her ancestor there was more than bitterness in her heart. She didn't want to live in regret that she had never been honest with the woman.

Kagome got past the hut's corner, striding towards the front steps that led down into the village, when she saw him in her path, staring at her.

Her breathing stopped, 'Did he hear?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She stepped onto the stone lip, staring down into the gaping hole of her future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Inuyasha."

It was acknowledgement, not a question.

His eyes spoke volumes of disbelief and betrayal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pink rays crawled out of the tiny crevices between her fingers. The glow lit up the hill, her traveling party and grandparent watching her go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He stepped forward, and then hesitated.

Kagome shifted onto her other foot.

Overriding the anxiety in his heart, the hanyou walked forward, passing the time traveler.

Her eyes widened.

No rude remark.

Not even a foul nickname.

Kagome swallowed back her tears as he went by.

They had already said goodbye. Why should she expect a hug?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her hair whipped around her, the rosy rays creating a halo around her body.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Goodbye, Inuyasha" she whispered racing down the steps, away from her heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaede…

Shippo…

Sango…

Miroku…

Kohaku…

Kikyo…

…Inuyasha…

She looked square into his gold eyes, sucking in a deep breath. He watched her, amber orbs broken in bitter distrust.

"Be happy, Inuyasha" she whispered a tear choking her throat.

The jewel shot open, pouring out the warmth of a thousands suns. Magic of a long distant ancestor pounded into the hillside. A deep pitch grew in their ears, hitting almost a melodic frequency.

Kagome swallowed her sobs as the jewel disappeared back into its old home in her side. The rosy glow didn't disappear however.

Her heel drew backwards, finding the edge of the stone cliff. She let go of all though of hesitation as her weight rolled backwards, pulling her down. Darkness overran the pink as she fell into the portal, the opening like the spotlight at the end of the tunnel.

Crossing her arms over her chest, Kagome closed her eyes and accepted her death of this time. Before her eyelids had fully closed, a familiar dark blue light crawled into her vision.

'Goodbye . . .'