InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Colorful Emotions ❯ Genetic Mutation ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Colorful Emotions

Chapter 4: Genetic Mutation

With a disgusted huff, Inuyasha sprang up from the floor, dusted his pants off, and put his hands over his ears.

Shippou laughed loudly and shrugged when Inuyasha glared at him. "What? It is funny," Shippou said.

Muttering curse words under his breath, he stalked away, leaving Miroku, Sango, and Shippou giggling hysterically.

That's it, Inuyasha thought, banging his fist on a rock. "Ow," he groaned. I've got to find a way to hide my ears, he decided. But how?

He grabbed a few leaves from a tree and pushed them in front of his ears, looking into his reflection in the pond. Inuyasha burst out laughing and the leaves fell from his head.

What now?

Suddenly a light bulb whacked him in the face (figuratively of course).

I know! Kagome's time has a whole bunch of interesting things! There's got to be something there that will cover my ears, Inuyasha thought excitedly.

He covered his ears and fell down the well.

-

Kagome blinked. Her friends stared at her as if she was stupid.

Of course, that's what she felt right now, but they didn't have to know that.

She smiled sheepishly. "Um…just checking," she muttered lamely.

Her friends raised their eyebrows simultaneously and became absorbed in their magazine again.


Kagome sighed. Saved by my friends' shallowness, she thought, slumping into her seat, and drifting back into her thoughts.

Inuyasha…liked her? Was it even possible? The only person he had ever loved was Kikyou. And she had ended up killing him. Of course, it was Naraku's fault, but she had killed him nonetheless.

In fact, Kagome wouldn't blame Inuyasha if he decided to never love or like anyone ever again.

But would it kill him to show some sentimentality?

Actually…yes, it would…

Kagome groaned and buried her head in her hands.

-

After a few minutes, Inuyasha found himself on the streets. He stared at the zooming creatures that smelled of metal and smoke.

Aha! It was a demon!

Inuyasha stopped, frowning. Wait. Kagome had said something about those things…they were…cars. Relieved, Inuyasha walked on.

He glanced at the streets and came upon a store called "Albertsons." [I know that Kagome's in Japan. But I'm not and I'm not familiar with Japan. So yeah.]

Well. He didn't know what it was, but it sounded okay. Besides, it smelled of food. A place with food couldn't be so bad, could it?

Triumphantly, he walked into the store, hands over his ears.

A weird guy behind a counter stared at him. "Is there a problem?" he asked.

"No," Inuyasha snarled.

"But…your hands are on your head," the guy wheedled.

"Um…it's a habit," Inuyasha blurted, somewhat stupidly. He walked off, hoping that the man wouldn't bother him.

How could Kagome stand to live in a place with such annoying people? In the feudal era, everyone in the market stood around waiting for people to buy things…or maybe they stood and refused to talk to him because they were scared of him…

Here, they'd probably think he was funny.

Inuyasha snorted. Then something caught his eye.

"Food!" he yelled, racing to the fruits.

Apples, he thought, feeling his stomach rumble.

"There's no one standing next to them…so you don't have to buy them," he reasoned. "Which means it's free!" he said gleefully. "So no one will mind if I…" He looked around, making sure no one saw him.

Then he grabbed and apple and took a huge bite, spraying juice all over the place.

A fat man wearing a blue apron with the word "Albertsons" on it glared at him and ran over.

"You," he barked. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Um…" Inuyasha racked him brain. Was there a problem? "Eating," he said.

"Stealing!" the man hollered.

Stealing? Inuyasha was confused. He didn't steal anything. He merely took a free apple that someone had generously left out for people to eat…

"And that will be a dollar, please," the man ranted.

"A…dollar?" What was a "dollar" anyway? Inuyasha smirked. Was this man stupid or what?

"It's money, you idiot!" The weirdo looked at him. "Where're you from anyway?"

Feudal Japan wasn't the most clever thing to say. But what Inuyasha said was even more dumb.

"I'm from…" Think, Inuyasha, think, Kagome must have said something that had to do with a place…

Yes! He remembered now.

"I'm from Disneyland," he said proudly, accidentally removing his hands from his ears.

The man-whom Inuyasha assumed was named Albertsons-didn't have time to wonder about Inuyasha's stupidity when he saw his ears.

"Yeeee! What is that?" the man yelped shrilly, pointing to Inuyasha's ears (which were now red with anger and frustration.)

Inuyasha now realized his mistake.

What else could he do to cover it? He had run out of smart things to say…not that they were ever smart in the first place.

"Um…"

Inuyasha blurted the first thing he could say. He randomly remembered it from Kagome's "science" book.

"Genetic mutation?" Inuyasha tried, giving the man a sheepish smile.

-

Kagome flopped on her bed, thinking about Inuyasha. Once again.

I wonder what he's doing, she mused. Having fun without me, probably.

She sighed. Actually, she had seen a glimpse of his ears turning blue.

Blue. Synonym for sad. He was sad because she was gone?

Suddenly she felt a flash of guilt. All those times when she had gone back into the well when he was mad…

She had thought he would be happy, and he had said that he was…

But in reality he was upset…

Every time, she had thought she had done him a favor, she had made him miserable. How stupid was she?

She walked down to the kitchen, grabbed seventeen packets of ramen and stuffed them into her backpack, reminding herself to spoil Inuyasha as soon as she got back.

Which she was planning to do right now.

Getting up, she jumped back in the well, seeing Miroku, Sango, and Shippou, but no Inuyasha.

"He went in the well looking for you," Miroku shrugged.

-

Inuyasha snarled and then had a flash of inspiration.

In a low voice, he intoned, "I am your worst nightmare. Give me what I want and no harm will come to you. Understand?"

He clenched his claws menacingly. And the man nodded quickly. "Just don't hurt me," he begged.

Inuyasha looked at him. "Now scram!"

The man ran away, weeping like a baby.

A few minutes later, Inuyasha had tried to cover his ears with something called a "cereal box." And then a million other things, all which were lying on the floor, mangled and scratched.

Then he found the perfect thing. He picked up the object, put it on, and strolled out of the store and back into the well.

-

Kagome sighed.

And then everyone heard movement and scratching from the well.

Kagome jumped up and saw him.

And her eyes bugged.

Inuyasha was wearing a red Santa hat with a bell at the end.

Jingle.