InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Crossed Wires ❯ Revelation and Ceremony ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any characters, plots, etc of Inuyasha. I do however own this plot snare.

“We dance round in a ring and suppose.
While the secret sits in the middle and knows”
Robert Frost

Crossed Wires

Chapter 23 - Revelations & Ceremony


Kouga collided with the bars of the cell again, his shoulder aching at it’s violent use. Swearing he stepped back to try again.

“Stop!”

The wolf prince snarled at the she wolf’s admonishment, “just stop Kouga.” Her voice fell as she turned and looked at him.

She had spent the last hour searching their prison for a way out. Regardless of whether the wolf prince believed her or not she was just as much a prisoner as he. She had not seen the hands that grabbed her, putting a pungent cloth over her nose as she fought then fell deep into the darkness. She only knew she woke with the wolf prince caged and she outside of their dual prison. The door before her was made of heavy wood and quite immovable. Not even her strength could budge it, perhaps with the combined strength of Kouga and herself they could.

She looked to the wolf demon and noted his eye watching the movement of the shadow across the floor. Mid morning was arriving fast. “She’ll wait for you, you know.”

Kouga’s eyes snapped up to the she wolf’s, “if she loved you, she would wait a lifetime.”

Feet braced wide his arms crossed across a broad muscular chest the wolf prince spoke for the first time since his accusation of her, “so you know the mind of the miko enough to speak her thoughts?”

Ayami shook her head slowly and turned back to the resistant door, “no, I only know what I would do if I loved someone.”

“Is there …?”

The she wolf stopped working the door handle for a moment and turned back to the wolf prince, her brow arched in inquisition.

Kouga sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, an unfamiliar movement for him that was rapidly becoming a habit, “…never mind.”

“No” was the almost silent reply, “I’ve only ever wanted one.”

Her eyes shimmered with tears before she turned back to the door and tried once again to work the handle and lock.

“Who?”

Ayami’s head dropped against the warmth of the door‘s wood, her body stilled at the question she had hoped he would, and would not ask. She fought against the ever present tears waiting to fall and swallowed hard before giving him the truth, “you.”

Pushing back from the door she kept her back to him as she felt the latch holding the handle give a little in her hand. “Kouga, the door” she pulled and the handle came away the door sliding open as the lock lever broke.

Kouga watched the play of emotions across her face and felt the thump of his heart again as warmth burst through his chest. Biting her lower lip she quickly turned and headed out the door, “I’ll find someone..” were her last words as she disappeared.

The wolf prince grasped cage bars, his knuckles whitening as he leaned his head against the cold, rigid bars imprisoning him. He was a fool, a caged fool. No matter that Ayami found someone to give him his freedom he had made a bargain with the devil for the miko and now must abide by it, no matter that his heart clamored against the decision, it was done. He had given his word.

Kagome pushed back against the half demon pressing her into the softness of her mattress. “Inuyasha?”

The hanyou leaned heavily against her tugging gently at the lobe of her ear, drowning in the scent of sleep tousled Kagome.

“Inuyasha..?” her voice more insistent she pushed again the half demon’s shoulders until he rose above her. “.. you love me?”

The half demon nodded his eyes fixed on the moistness gleaming on her bottom lip the taste of her on his tongue, “Kagome..” he softly whispered before taking her lips in a long drugging kiss again.

The miko wanted to submerge herself into the whirlpool of emotions pulling her under but something was wrong, she pushed against the half demon again. “.. what about Ki..”

“She’s gone,” the half demon replied nuzzling her throat.

“Gone? Inuyasha?!” the miko struggled against the hanyou until she was sitting up and he was looking at her in surprise.

She pushed sleep tossed hair from her face and took a deep breath to get her riotous body under control, “what do you mean she’s gone?”

The half demon blinked in confusion, “I mean she left with Naraku to hell.”

Kagome silently counted to ten before grabbing his hair, “when?”

Inuyasha turned his lips brushing her hands, releasing one and sucking the tip between his lips.

“When, Inuyasha?” the half demon’s gaze jerked to hers as she pulled her fingers from his lips.

“Before the slayer’s village.”

Kagome leaned back against the pillows in dumbfounded disbelief, her voice a whisper, “..why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you tell us?” Kagome thought of all the heart ache and sorrow that could have been avoided with one little sentence.

“Miroku knew..” the half demon offered then clamped down on his tongue at the flare of flames within her eyes.

“We didn’t know!” she shouted her fingers fisting in her sheets, “I didn’t know!” the miko stormed grabbing a pillow and throwing at the rapidly retreating hanyou.

Pillow after pillow beat around the hanyou’s head as he darted from the miko’s room. His back against the door he groaned as he heard the hard sobs racking the miko’s form and the crash of one of Sesshoumaru’s pieces of art.

Looking up Inuyasha met the dog demon’s cool stare, “the miko is upset.”

The hanyou snarled and headed back to the room he shared with the monk as the great Western Lord watched his progress until he disappeared. Moving forward he knocked once and with a firm voice, “Miko, the mating ceremony begins in an hour.”

Turning he walked away as sobs began anew behind him.

Shippo sniffed beside Sesshoumaru’s human girl. His heart breaking quietly as he waited for the mating ceremony to end. He didn’t want the wolf demon for a father, he didn’t even know if the wolf demon would allow him to stay with Kagome. He had failed her, and the half demon he had come to lean on as his father. He brushed a tear from his cheek as Rin leaned close and whispered her assurances that it would be alright.

The little kit listened but knew it was too late, now. It would never be alright again.

Inuyasha stood silently his eyes focused on the miko his heart bleeding with sorrow and love. While her tears coursed down redden cheeks as she looked to the Western Lord, his arms raised.

Kouga stood quietly and watched the she wolf from the corner of his eye. Her tears shimmer and fell in quick rivulets of silver as the Western lord’s hands dropped to rest upon the shoulders before him, “it is done.”

****************************

Writer’s note: *crickets chirping*

xx