InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny's Spiral ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any other characters in this show.
 
Love is always brightest in the dark…”
-Oma and Shu, Avatar: The Last Airbender
 
* * *
 
There was something off about that scream. Instinct kicked in and Kagome ran for the front door. A hand roughened by a lifetime of experience and work wrapped itself around Kagome's wrist before she could get out the door. “I have to go, Gramps.”
 
“Kagome, you already do so much for the people of Tokyo by slaying demons along with Sango and Miroku. Perhaps, it's best you let Council take care of this.” Her grandfather was truly concerned for her. It was one of his greatest fears that Kagome burn herself out or be struck down.
 
“If Council is so great then why are these murders still going on? They may have been a good a protector once upon a time but now they aren't to be trusted. Please let me do this, Gramps.” Kagome begged him with her eyes. If he didn't see her understanding then she just asked for a chance to prove it.
 
Behind Kagome's pleading, her grandfather saw his answer. Her determination. Looking at that he knew, no matter what he said to her at this moment, Kagome would go. She'd taken it upon herself to help all those in need and take down anyone that hurt those same people.
 
A just society between humans and demons is what Kagome dreamed of. Deep in her soul, Kagome believed that these constant murders were the biggest obstacle to that society. As much as he didn't want to let her go, Gramps knew that if anyone could make that a reality, it was Kagome and her friends.
 
Kagome was getting anxious and uncomfortable under her grandfather's stare. His intense focus made her think he could see into her soul. It was as if all her thoughts, dreams, feelings, and plans were laid out in front of her for him to read whenever he so desired. Please, Gramps. If you think this is a mistake, let me take and learn from it. Please…
 
Gramps nodded his head sagely. “You have my permission to leave, Kagome, on one condition. No matter where this path you're following takes you, come back to us.”
 
“I promise, Gramps. Mom and Souta too. I'll always come back to you.”
 
“Alright, you may go now. Good luck, Kagome.” He let go of her wrist and Kagome turned on her way.
 
Thank you, Kagome thought running across the shrine courtyard.
 
* * *
 
Sango had just awoken when she heard the chilling scream. Within moments, everyone living in the demon slayer estate was on their feet. Rushed whispers of those staying in the guest rooms could be heard outside Sango's shoji as they ran down the halls.
 
She had just tied her green apron over her pink yukata and demon slayer uniform when she saw a familiar silhouette walking past her door. Quickly, Sango opened the shoji. “Kohaku,” Sango called while grabbing her brother's arm.
 
“Ane-eu,” Kohaku was startled then quickly smiled seeing his older sister. “What are you still doing here? Father's looking for you.”
 
“Before I find him, can you tell me what's going on?”
 
Kohaku shook his head. “I don't know anymore about what's going on than you. Let's find father, I'm sure he will know.” Kohaku ran out of Sango's room, excitement permeating from every pore. “Come on, Ane-ue!”
 
Sango laughed at her brother while following him. Kohaku always made her smile. His innocence and kindness warmed and comforted her, even in the darkest hour. Things wouldn't be the same if he was gone.
 
The siblings found their father talking to a crowd of demon slayers on their front porch in a serious tone. None spoke louder than absolutely necessary.
 
“Sango, there you are. I see Kohaku found you with ease,” their father acknowledged Kohaku with a nod of his head. “I suppose you both want to know what has happened.”
 
“Yes, Father,” they said in unison.
 
“Just moments ago another murder was performed. The scream you both heard was the victim. The murder can't have gone far so I'm sending out teams of exterminators to capture or kill them.”
 
“Am I going to go out with a squad?” Sango asked.
 
“No, I have a different job for you. I want you to take Kohaku and examine the victim's body. We'll need any clues possible to catch this serial killer.” Their father turned to Kohaku, “No screw ups, got that?”
 
“Y-Yes, Father.”
 
“Good. Gather your things and get down there as quickly as possible.” He turned his back signifying he was done talking with them.
 
Kohaku vaguely noticed the crisp wind blowing across his face or the force Kirara's legs created as she flew through the air.
 
Father. He had always been hardest on Kohaku. Nothing the boy did ever seem to be right in his father's eyes. The pressure to excel from his father continually showed in his practice. It slowed his progress, especially when he was watching. He couldn't even knock down a can with his chain sickle without something going wrong. If it wasn't the can, Kohaku cut his hand.
 
I'm a failure as a demon exterminator.
 
Kirara landed, lowering herself to the ground to allow her companions an easier time getting off.
 
The murder scene had gathered a crowd of men from the surrounding neighbourhoods. Each of them was waiting on the diagnoses of those who protected them. The elders showed complete faith in them while the younger men waited for the demon slayers. Sango didn't miss that as she approached the scene.
 
The men parted like the red sea as the pair made their way to the body and Council members. The younger men nodded their approval at their presence.
 
Sango leaned towards Kohaku and whispered in his ear so only he could hear, “You've never had to deal with these kinds of people before, have you?” She nodded in the direction of the miko.
 
Kohaku gently shook his head. “Not once, Ane-ue.”
 
“Leave it to me then,” Sango winked while smiling fondly.
 
The three priestess who were examining the body stopped what they were doing and intercepted the siblings. “Halt. This is a Council investigation. Unless sent by the head councillor, you are to leave the vicinity at once.”
 
The women unnerved Kohaku. No emotion flickered on any of their faces. Like their faces, their eyes were devoid of emotion and life. They stood as still as statues, the only movement from the rise and fall of their chests as they breathed. It was unnatural. Even the most callused Samurai had eyes which gleamed in the light of the moon or sun.
 
The woman closest to Kohaku switched her focus to him. She moved as if each movement had been carefully calculated. Unpolished emeralds bore into Kohaku. Unsure of her intentions, Kohaku gripped the handle of his bone sickle. Failure or not, he wouldn't be taken by surprise.
 
“We demon slayers have protected Tokyo for hundreds of years, a dozen generations. The knowledge of our forefathers has been preserved and passed down to every generation to follow. We don't intend on laying down that and our reputation by becoming shadows and allowing these killings to continue.” Sango tightly gripped her hiraikotsu. “Your consent or not, we will do our job.”
 
“Have you gathered all information needed for our report, Harada-san?” Her voice was flat and toneless.
 
“I have, Ishimaru-sama,” the emerald eyed woman replied never gazing away from Kohaku. Her voice was just as flat as Ishimaru's.
 
“Harada-san, Sonoda-san, come. We shall leave the slayers to their…work.” If they spoke or showed emotion, they would have sniggered as they left, that much Kohaku knew.
 
“You have to be firm in what you want when dealing with those people. If they try to prevent you, you must back yourself up with a threat and always be prepared to act on it. Too many times our people have had to raise our weapons to them.”
 
“Has Kagome-sama ever been troublesome?”
 
“No. Fortunately, Kagome is one of the few priestesses who choose not to join them. Her holy powers have been a great help to the monk and I.”
 
“Why doesn't she join them? All priestesses are the same, aren't they?”
 
“That question is harder to answer than you would think. When you put them side by side, the only difference between the two groups are a black band tied around the red hakama of Council members and their mental state. You saw those three, the rest of them are no different. They all walk around like an empty shell, rarely speaking.
 
“Kagome on the other hand…” She couldn't exactly say, Kagome was a walking bombshell of emotion blowing up at anything that rubs her the wrong way. Saying that may scar her brother's image of Kagome forever. “Kagome has spirit and emotion enough to share.” That didn't sound too bad.
 
“I see.” Sango hoped he didn't.
 
“How about you help me with the examination now?”
 
The person who had died was a young woman around Sango and Kagome's age. She had long black hair and her brown eyes were wide open after death. The resemblance to Kagome was only increased by the garb of a priestess she was wearing with no black band around the hakama.
 
“She reminds me of Kagome.”
 
“I see the resemblance. Even in sleep Kagome looks like a priestess.”
 
How would Kohaku know that? “Sango!” That explains it.
 
Kagome was running up to them wearing her pyjamas: a pair of red shorts made of the same material as hakama and a white tank top.
 
“I should have known you'd be here.” Kagome looked between Sango and Kohaku. “You must be Kohaku, I'm Higurashi Kagome. Sango talks about you all the time. She never told me how adorable you are though.” Kohaku blushed at the attention.
 
Sango began her diagnoses. “Look at these gashes along the girl's body. They were made to imitate a demon's claw, but the cuts are too clean to have been created by a low level demon. They weren't created by a high level demon either; they would have cut her into pieces with ease.”
 
“So that means she was attacked by a human?” Kohaku confirmed.
 
“Yes. Humans with money. To make such a clean cut the swords would have to be around the quality of a Samurai's sword. That's something no common bandit could get their hands on.”
 
“The only people in Tokyo, aside from the Samurai themselves, who could get their hands on those, would be Council. But there couldn't be anything to gain from killing humans,” Kagome piped in.
 
“Just more of the same. We have a suspect but no motivation or reason behind the attacks. At this rate they'll just keep getting away with this. If only we could find some connection between all the murders…” Sango couldn't find any. All victims lived in different areas of the city with no relations.
 
“I'm going to find Kaede and tell her about this. This girl was one of her students. Kaede said this girl had a gentle heart, she didn't deserve this.”
 
“And we'll arrange for the bodies removal, won't we, Kohaku?”
 
Kohaku smiled. As much as the dead body made him sick, he would follow through on this job. “Ane-ue and I will take care of everything here.”
 
To Kaede's and home I go, Kagome thought running back the way she came. Good thing my pyjamas can pass as regular clothes or else this would be embarrassing.
 
* * *
 
He'd finally done it. Inuyasha had found his ticket out of this godforsaken hell hole. He opened the door he'd spent days or weeks—he didn't have a way to track time—trying to find.
 
“Good luck in Modern Era, Tokyo, Inuyasha,” the well spirit's voice emanated.
 
“Keh, I don't need luck,” were his final words as he walked into the door.
 
During Inuyasha's transportation to Tokyo something went wrong. The space-like environment he'd grown used to seeing turned black. Red stripes resembling gashes were scattered throughout the black around him. They pulsed with a menacing light.
 
With each pulse Inuyasha felt his power grow. His senses heightened while his claws and fangs grew.
 
Before Inuyasha could appreciate and test this new power, he blacked out.
 
* * *
 
Kaede hadn't been there. Her neighbours said she was helping someone else on the street. With a promise they would tell Kaede she wanted to talk to her, Kagome had left for home.
 
When Kagome came to the top of the stair her grandfather rushed over to her. This had better be something important. I'm not in the mood for one of Gramps' legends.
 
“Kagome, I have big news. While you were out high ranking members from the Council came by—“
 
“I don't want to here it, Gramps,” Kagome said walking past him into the courtyard. It's around seven in the morning and I'm already sick of them. Can't they go bother someone else's family?
 
Not everyone else is the reincarnation of the Shikon No Tama's keeper, Kikyo said.
 
Why does that make me so special? If anything I'm mentally insane. I hear your voice and talk to you. People in this situation get put in asylums. Kagome stopped in front of the shrine's sacred tree.
 
Council most likely believes you have powers and knowledge from me that would be of use to them.
 
But they don't know I talk to you. I haven't even told my own family. Besides, you don't tell me anything..
 
It's for your own good that it stays that way. Kagome could feel Kikyo venture off into her memories and as soon as Kagome tried to follow she felt the usual mental wall slam down in front of her.
 
“For my own good...What did she mean?” Kagome pondered looking into the branches of the sacred tree.
 
It was like Kikyo. Standing strong for all who chose to look and visibly scarred. Kikyo's emotional scar was just as visible as the one on the tree's bark.
 
Kagome reached out to touch the tree's scar. “Who could have hurt her enough for the scar to obvious to this day?”
 
The silence in the shrine was broken by the crash and splintering of wood. “Gramps! The well house!” Souta shouted.
 
Kagome turned in time to see a man in red with long silver hair walk out. His eyes were a feral teal surrounded by red. The jyaki he was emitting was deadly and out of control.
 
The sight of him made Kikyo blaze, Inuyasha!
 
Souta was grabbing his grandfather's sleeve in fear. “W-What is that, Gramps?” Souta had seen daiyoukai and low level demons but never one like this. His visible form showed the blood of a daiyoukai flowed through the man's veins but his actions and stance were like a common demon. Blood thirsty and without any reasoning.
 
It all happened in a second.
 
Inuyasha's eyes flickered in Souta's direction and his stance changed slightly.
 
Kagome didn't miss those actions. “Gramps! Souta! Run!” She screamed and started running towards her family. Anyone but them was Kagome's mantra as she began running.
 
Don't be a fool! There's nothing you can do to stop him! Kikyo, with all her strength, tried to take control of Kagome's body. If the girl didn't stop she would be killed along with her family.
 
The wind shifted as Kagome took her first step towards Inuyasha. His eyes widened and became more lethal when her scent reached his nose. “Kikyo,” he growled.
 
He pounced, previous prey forgotten.
 
She tripped on one of the Sacred Tree's roots.
 
Inuyasha flew over Kagome as she lay on the ground and landed in front of the tree. Of all the times to be a klutz…Kagome thought.
 
Behind you! Kikyo shouted. How could she allow herself to get distracted in a situation like this?!
 
Kagome turned and saw Inuyasha as he pounced towards her again. Not able to run Kagome raised her arms across her face and wished desperately for protection.
 
The ending blow never came. She heard a loud noise near the tree. Kagome peaked out of the gap between her arms and saw she was surrounded by a barrier of sacred energy. “Did I do that?”
 
As quickly as the barrier appeared, it disappeared.
 
Inuyasha had been slammed into the trunk of the Sacred Tree by the force of Kagome's barrier and was angrier than before. The demon wanted the blood of the woman who betrayed him to spill over the ground.
 
I have to get the demon away from the shrine. Better I go down than I take all of them down with me, Kagome thought getting up off the ground. Before she could go anywhere Kagome was pinned to the tree by Inuyasha.
 
“Let go of me,” Kagome demanded.
 
Inuyasha gripped Kagome's wrists harder with his one hand and raised the other in preparation to strike.
 
Kagome heard chanting in the background. She was about to die only to have the demon go after her family once it was done with her and Kagome's grandfather was chanting. What does he think he's doing? Gramps doesn't have any spiritual powers!
 
“I said let go,” Kagome said with more authority.
 
She was loosing control of her powers. The energy resembled electricity as it discharged from her body. The haywire energy made the demon before her falter.
 
Inuyasha moved his head to the side and past his dog ears Kagome saw Kaede standing near the shrine stairs. She was the one chanting not Kagome's grandfather. Her spell and prayers were focused on a ring of light in front of her. Kagome blinked and the ring was reappearing around Inuyasha's neck—he didn't notice.
 
When the light died down realization dawned on Kagome. Magatama beads! Kagome thought.
 
“Recite the word of subjugation, child,” Kaede encouraged.
 
But what word? At that moment Kagome saw Inuyasha's dog ears twitch. That's it!
 
“Osuwari!” The resounding crash echoed through the courtyard.
 
Inuyasha lifted his head from the dirt. His head was pounding and the rest of his body ached. “Where am I? What happened?” He said in a daze.
 
* * *
 
A/N: Finally done! In this chapter you obviously noticed my use of Japanese words. Reasons for those: Anu-ue and Inu onii-chan are just too cute to pass up, and I like how osuwari is a dog command.
 
For those who were a little confused, it's `What Do Those Words Mean?'
 
Ane-ue - A term for sister. Not as commonly used in modern day
Magatama Beads - Comma shaped beads that are infused with great spiritual and mystical powers
Osuwari - A dog command meaning sit.
Jyaki - An evil or demonic aura
Daiyoukai - `Great Demon' an especially strong and powerful demon