InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Facets of the Living Jewel ❯ Abyssus abyssum invocat ( Chapter 44 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or the other characters. Ms. Takahashi does. But I sure like the demon side of Inuyasha more than she does!
 
Symbols for thoughts:
[Inudemon]
(Inuhuman)
`Inuyasha or Others'
 
Thank you to Vyncent for thirding this story in the Best Lemon category in the 4th quarter IYFG. All three nominations (Best AU, Best Characterization: Inuyasha, and Best Lemon) made it into the voting stage! Wow! The voting starts on February 12th and goes to February 26th (I think) and I would appreciate your support. Thank you, everyone who nominated/seconded/thirded!
 
 
Abyssus abyssum invocat
By Licentia poetica
 
Inuyasha came to a stop just before the cleared area where the time rip was located. He could smell his Pack, both human and Inu, and the lingering traces of Kouga's blood scent reminded him of something that should have been dealt with before they left the hut. He gave Kagome a quick one-armed toss off of his back, spinning to catch her as she gave a startled exclamation.
 
“Eeek! Inuyasha! What are you doing?”
 
He laughed and held her above the ground for a moment, letting her feet dangle and pressing her body against his. “Nothing, wench.” He nuzzled her hair, breathing in the subtle scents of her life that he had thought lost forever before setting her down gently. He stared into her eyes as he inserted a claw through one of the gaping holes in her T-shirt, caressing the skin of her shoulder lightly. The opening allowed him access to stroke the top and side of her breast, and he gave a masculine grin as she gasped at the touch, her pupils enlarging and the tempo of her heart beat increasing. “Miroku's over there and I don't want that hentai to see this much of you. Besides, wench, it's distracting. Kanna was there, and she's an enemy.” He stroked her skin again with the tip of his claw as he bent down toward her mouth. He gave a smirk as her eyes slid closed in expectation of a kiss, but he stopped just before touching her lips. “No distractions,” he whispered.
 
Her eyes snapped open in vexation and she pushed him away, blushing. She looked down at the ruin of her clothes. More of her body was revealed than concealed, but at least the most intimate portions were covered. “You should have told me before we left! Gaah! The villagers saw me like this?” She put her hands in front of her blazing face. “Baka. You should have told me. I would have changed! Now what am I supposed to do?”
 
“Baka. Like you've ever cared how much skin you show!” He shrugged out of his fire rat haori as she glared at him. “Wear this.” He wrapped it around her shoulders, and frowned when she hesitated. “Take it, Kagome. You have two shards now, remember? You need to stay safe.”
 
She began to put the haori on, struggling with the sleeves. “Hhmmph. You always get in more trouble than I do when something attacks us.”
 
“That's `cause I always have to save you, pathetic human.”
 
She gave him a withering glance as she tied the haori around her waist. It was too large for her slight form. “Arrogant male.”
 
The haori hid the rents in her clothing but only served to emphasize her curves. Inuyasha was reminded of the time he had let her wear it in Toukajin's kitchen: her skin dripping wet with sake, wearing nothing but a smile of joy on her face when she saw he was alive. He fought the urge to pull the haori off and take her to the hot springs.
 
(Kagome, wet and willing…)
 
`Hitotsu. Kekki no yuu o imashimuru koto.'
 
He gave a resigned sigh, giving up on their exchange of insults as she finished tying the haori in place. `You win this one, little jigokuneko.'
 
“Magnificent bitch.”
 
She giggled and snuggled up next to him, putting her arms around his waist. “Your magnificent bitch.”
 
“Damn right.” He tucked her under his chin for one stolen second.
 
`Shit! If today is anything like yesterday I'm gonna have to kill something.'
 
[Maybe we'll get a chance at Sesshoumaru again.]
 
He pushed her away gently. “On my back, wench. We have to protect our Pack, and that means you have to help Midoriko.”
 
Kagome stroked his cheek. “His markings are permanent now. I wonder if he'll ever be able to come back to my era?' She smiled up into his face, losing herself in his copper gaze.
 
“Move it, lazy wench!” He gave her bottom a light spank.
 
She stuck out her tongue at him but climbed on his back. He ran the rest of the short distance, stopping at the edge of the clearing in surprise as he saw what was happening.
 
Bedlam.
 
Sesshoumaru was just finishing a leap, slashing Tenseiga through the time rip. The immense vortex shuddered as he passed, the power decreasing, but after a few seconds the winds increased in speed and the black center of the rip began to enlarge again.
 
Yourei Taisei was leaping away from the vortex holding Midoriko, who was clutching her chest and panting, pain evident in her face.
 
Miroku, Sango, and Kirara were at the far edge of the clearing, defending themselves from the Kai-wolves, who were snarling and attacking, trying to get at something hidden behind his human Pack.
 
(Get Kagome to Midoriko.)
 
[And take control of our Pack.]
 
`Hitotsu.'
 
Kagome struggled to get off his back, but he held on to her and took one leap to Midoriko and Yourei Taisei.
 
Kagome, get her up and find out how to put a barrier up around that rip again. Sesshoumaru can't keep slowing it down. I can feel his youki being drained.” He set her down gently on her feet, giving a nod to his sensei. He ignored the startled look Kagome gave him at the timbre of his voice, and leaped over to the Kai-wolves.
 
He snarled in Inu, standing in front of his human Pack and letting his youki resonate in the words. “Stop! These are my Pack, and you will not harm them. Explain yourselves!
 
The Kai-wolves stopped trying to reach whatever was behind him. Runt rolled on her back and the others cowered low at the anger in his voice, but they continued to snarl, obviously uneasy.
 
Shiro, hackles raised and fangs bared, asked “The unscented is Pack?” He gave an uncomfortable glance up at Inuyasha, knowing he was questioning his Leader's judgment and could be punished. “I do not…the prey with no scent is…Pack?” He snarled, unable to control his reaction even in the face of his Pack Leader's disapproval. He averted his eyes but kept growling.
 
Inuyasha turned to look behind him. Miroku and Sango were guarding Shippo, who was standing, tiny claws extended, defending a seated Kanna. Kanna stared back at him, her face and body expressing no fear or concern.
 
He snarled and looked at Miroku. “Why are you defending Kanna? The little freak is probably spying for Naraku.”
 
Miroku lowered his staff. “She is an unknown. I do not trust her, but she stated that she no longer is with Naraku and seeks to learn from Kagome.” He moved a bit closer and whispered softly “We need more information, and I do not kill without reason.”
 
Inuyasha gazed into the violet eyes and flexed his claws before staring down at the girl.
 
[Do not trust her.]
 
(But Miroku is right.)
 
He turned back to the Kai-wolves and spoke Inu again. “No. That is Kanna. She is not Pack, and never will be. You were right to attack, but hold back now.” Runt sprang to her feet, and the other Kai-wolves visibly relaxed, but remained on guard.
 
“The two humans and the pup are Pack. This is Miroku, Sango, and Shippo.” He placed a hand on each of them as he named them for his Inu Pack, marking them with his scent. The Kai-wolves watched closely, noses twitching as they memorized their new Pack's smells. Their eyes moved to Kirara.
 
She was growling, her body strategically placed so that she could defend Sango from the Kai-wolves yet still attack Kanna if the child moved. He walked to her and put a hand on her shoulder. “Kirara is Pack as well.”
 
The Kai-wolves looked skeptical.
 
Kirara turned her head and gave him a look of absolute disdain. “Phhhhtttttt! Mmmraow! Phhhhtttt!”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Yes, I know, Kirara. You are a neko and work alone. You don't need any help. But you are still…” he paused, grateful that he was speaking Inu so that Miroku and Sango wouldn't understand and tease him for showing these new feelings. “You are family, and that is Pack.”
 
Behind him, Shippo gave a yelp. “Family? We're family?”
 
“Shut it, pipsqueak!”
 
He felt a hand on his shoulder. Miroku was smiling at him, eyes dancing with merriment.
 
“I didn't know you thought of me as a brother, Inuyasha. I'm flattered.” His smile became a lecherous grin. “And since you claimed Mate Right I know that you think of Kagome as…” He paused, raising both eyebrows.
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Keh. Hentai.” Giving an exaggerated sniff in Miroku's direction, he turned to Sango and sniffed again. Turning back to Miroku, he gave a feral grin. “So, you think of Sango as…” he drawled, enjoying the chagrined look on Miroku's face.
 
Sango turned beet red and stared at the ground. Miroku opened his mouth, but snapped it shut as he saw Sango's embarrassment.
 
“I told ya' you couldn't fool Inuyasha,” said Shippo in a bored voice.
 
Jinx sat down on her haunches and whuffed a dog laugh. The other Kai-wolves relaxed slightly, but were still on their guard, lips raised in silent snarls as they eyed Kanna.
 
Inuyasha folded his arms and tapped a foot impatiently. He could feel Sesshoumaru's youki being drained again. “These are the Kai-wolves, and they're my Pack. They each have names, but I'll introduce you later. They know your names and scent; they accept you and won't harm you now.”
 
He turned back and spoke Inu to the Kai-wolves again. “Guard Kanna. Don't let her escape, don't let her move, do not let her use this mirror.” He pointed to the frame of the mirror that showed from underneath Kanna's yukata. “If she tries to touch it, kill her.” He turned to Kirara. “You know more about her. Explain the situation to them.”
 
She bared her fangs at Kanna and gave a short purr of agreement, so he turned to the silent child. His eyes bled red, but he held back the other changes for the moment. `Hitotsu.' He growled a warning at her before switching from Inu to make his message clear to her.
 
“Stay here and stay still, or my Pack will harm you. If you try to use the mirror, my Pack will kill you. You're lucky that Miroku and Sango think that your sorry hide is worth saving, or I'd shred you myself.” He leaned closer to her, baring lengthened fangs, and his voice began to vibrate with subsonic power. “I don't trust you. If you harm any of my Pack, I won't hesitate to take...you…out.” She stared up at him, expressionless, as he flexed his dagger-length claws in front of her face.
 
He turned his back on her and walked away, unknowingly treating her in the same manner that Sesshoumaru had used with Kouga.
 
`Little freak. Naraku must be using her to spy on us.'
 
(Kagura didn't want to work for him.)
 
[This one's different.]
 
As he passed by Shippo, he picked him up by the tail, his claws shortening to prevent injury to the kit.
 
“Hey!” The startled kitsune began to complain, but stopped in wonder as Inuyasha gently slung him onto his shoulder.
 
Inuyasha stalked away, motioning for Sango and Miroku to accompany him. They glanced at each other, shrugged, and followed.
 
Miroku caught up with Inuyasha and matched his strides, glancing at the visible marks in his friend's face. `Something has definitely changed in his aura. He was obviously speaking to his Pack, and our names sounded odd amidst the yips and growls. Fascinating. '
 
Yourei Taisei was standing behind Kagome and Midoriko, watching the vortex and obviously guarding the women. Kagome was kneeling behind Midoriko, propping the injured miko up in a sitting position, her hands placed over Midoriko's on the woman's chest. A white light was pulsing around the two women. Inuyasha noticed a gold and silver tint glowing from beneath Kagome's bangs.
 
`We have the same mark.' The thought comforted him, even though he did not understand how both markings had developed. `Even the gods know she's mine.'
 
As he watched, the light dimmed and faded, and Midoriko opened her eyes and sighed in relief.
 
“Thank you, Kagome. I have trouble fighting the evil since I am both there and here.” She struggled to her feet. “I had thought my shards to be balanced in my favor. You must explain why the Jewel suddenly became so tainted, but not now. Come, we must place a barrier around the time rip again.”
 
Inuyasha was about to follow the women, but Sesshoumaru landed next to him, having just finished another pass through the time rip to keep it from spreading. He was panting as his youki was drawn off, but his voice betrayed no strain. “This Sesshoumaru is grateful that your Inu Pack is not at his tono.”
 
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. “What's the matter, Baka no Taisho? Not pure enough for you?”
 
“No, insolent hanyou.” One side of Sesshoumaru's lip curled up as he glanced at Jinx and Bandit, who were eyeing the two brothers. “They are aggressive, territorial, and noisy. Somewhat like their Pack Leader.” Inuyasha snorted but said nothing. “I would keep an eye on the beta male and bitch, Inuyasha,” Sesshoumaru continued. Without elaborating, he turned to run and gracefully slash the Tenseiga through the rip again; its advance was slowed, but Inuyasha heard a slight growl of frustration from him as more of his youki was drawn off.
 
Inuyasha stared at the two beta members of his Inu Pack. Jinx stared back at him insolently before dropping her eyes in submission, but for some reason Bandit could not meet his eyes at all. `Hhmm. I know Jinx is trouble, but Bandit? He looks guilty, like he's done something he shouldn't have and knows it.' He shrugged, and became aware of Shippo on his shoulder.
 
“Oi runt. Stay here.” Inuyasha picked up Shippo and took him over to Sango. “Keep him out of trouble.” Sango blinked at the authority in his voice.
 
`He sounds like Father.'
 
She took the kitsune from him, however, giving the kit a hug as he protested.
 
“How come, Inuyasha? Why can't I go with you?”
 
Inuyasha didn't want any argument. “You will stay here, out of danger.”
 
Shippo became cowed at the power of the youki reverberating in the words. He burrowed into Sango's arms. “O.K., Inuyasha. I'll stay here with Sango,” he said in a small voice.
 
“We'll keep an eye on Kanna. I don't trust her either,” Sango affirmed, nodding at Inuyasha.
 
Satisfied, Inuyasha turned to the time rip and loosened the Tetsusaiga in its saya with his thumb. He walked up next to Miroku, who was watching Sesshoumaru's attempts to control the spread of the rip. “Miroku, what is it? How can we stop it?”
 
Miroku winced at the sense of dark power that radiated from the center. “It seems to be a larger version of my Wind Tunnel, held open by youki instead of…” his voice took on a thoughtful tone. “Hhmm. Youki. Not a curse. But they both stay open, and they both…expand.” He frowned, flexing his cursed hand. “Your brother heals the wound for a moment, but the other youki keeps it open. I believe both youki must be removed before the rip will close.” He opened his hand and stared at it, a thoughtful frown on his face.
 
Midoriko was whispering instructions to Kagome. Kagome watched as Midoriko raised her hands, concentrating, and a light cornflower-blue barrier developed around the time rip, wavering almost immediately as the vortex fought against it.
 
Sesshoumaru sheathed the Tenseiga and stepped back. His face betrayed no emotion, but Inuyasha picked up a relieved scent and a hint of fatigue.
 
Yourei Taisei stepped next to Midoriko. “If you and Lady Kagome cannot seal the rip, I shall use the Kiritsu again. However, we must seek a more permanent solution.”
 
“Agreed.” Midoriko watched as Kagome began to pull on her power. She raised her voice but kept it soothing so that she wouldn't disturb Kagome's concentration. “Remember, Kagome. It is more difficult than placing a barrier around yourself, but keep your anchor and you should be fine.” She frowned as she noticed a glow emanating from Kagome's forehead.
 
Kagome's barrier was a deep indigo, almost violet, and merged with Midoriko's to create a pulsing but more substantial sphere.
 
Midoriko spoke quietly again. “Concentrate with me. We must collapse the rip in on itself so that it will close. Push against your barrier.”
 
Midoriko's face mirrored her efforts as the two mikos forced the rip back. For a few seconds, it seemed that they would be successful, but then the sphere stopped decreasing in size. Kagome's body began to tremble with the tension in her muscles, but in spite of the obvious effort on the part of the two women, the sphere remained.
 
Miroku stepped up behind Kagome, and placed a hand on her shoulder. He heard a growl from behind him, so he spoke quickly. “I will give you what aid I can, Ladies.” He looked back over his shoulder as Inuyasha began to walk over to him, a scowl on his face. “Spiritual aid, Inuyasha.”
 
“Just keep your hentai hands where I can see them, monk.”
 
“I have no dishonorable intentions toward your mate.”
 
Miroku bowed his head and raised his non-cursed hand, two fingers extended, as he called on his spiritual powers. He added his own barrier to the one generated by the women, and the sphere contracted.
 
After decreasing to half the diameter, the power of the time rip resisted closure again. The sphere was as tall as Inuyasha, and the black center pulsed as if fueled by the beating of a heart.
 
Sweat began to run in tiny rivulets down Kagome's face as she strained to collapse it. Midoriko began to tremble, and even Miroku showed signs of fatigue.
 
The green and blue alchemic symbols on Yourei Taisei's face glowed again as he executed the chudan kamae with Kiritsu, motioning Sesshoumaru to the side so that he had a clear path to the sphere.
 
“Tsunami kazangan ha!”
 
Once again, the blue-green glow of his alchemic symbols erupted from the katana, creating the lahar of earth. He executed an infinity loop, a kesagiri, and a nagi to surround the sphere and cut off the lahar. Stepping back, he brought the Kiritsu to a low guard position, crystallizing the earth around the time rip.
 
Silence settled over the clearing as he performed the noto.
 
Both mikos staggered, and Miroku tried to catch them. Weakened by his own exertions, he began to fall himself, only to find Inuyasha catching him from behind. He nodded his thanks, gasping for air and holding the women up, hands carefully placed in plain sight along the backs of their shoulders.
 
Inuyasha supported Miroku one handed until the houshi and Midoriko could stand on their own. With the other arm he pulled Kagome close, holding her as she trembled with fatigue. When the tremors eased off he set her on her feet and turned to Sesshoumaru and Yourei Taisei.
 
“Miroku seems to think that the youki within the rip is holding it open. We have to find a way to draw it out. The Tetsusaiga can do that.”
 
(The Senki is gone. The youki will feed back through the Tetsusaiga again.)
 
[We didn't use me before.]
 
`We'll handle it. If it gets bad, we'll just get stubborn about it. That's what worked with the Sou'unga.'
 
Miroku spoke up. “Inuyasha, you will have to hold the Tetsusaiga to the time rip to do that. That means we need to lower the barriers again and you'll…you'll have to stand in front of that vortex.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru thinks that you will not be able to do that without being drawn in to the rip itself.” The Inu no Taisho frowned. “The vortex is quite powerful. This Sesshoumaru is only just able to keep from being drawn in, and the other youki is…strong.” A corner of his mouth lifted. “This Sesshoumaru's youki is stronger, but it obeys the Tenseiga and my will.” He stared at Inuyasha, but the stern gaze was belied by his scent.
 
`Keh. The bastard cares what happens?'
 
“Don't worry, Baka no Taisho. I'll make sure the Tetsusaiga doesn't end up in the rip.”
 
Inuyasha ignored the growl as Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed.
 
Yourei Taisei stirred. “We must have our plans thought out before we remove the lahar and the barriers. The danger is too great that we may not be able to stop the advance the next time.” He glanced at their spiritual members. “The houshi and the mikos are already weary.”
 
Miroku sighed. `I hope I don't regret this. Kanna seemed so sure that it was expanding.'
 
“I know of a way to ensure that Inuyasha will have time to draw the youki out and not be drawn into the vortex.” The group looked at him as he raised his cursed hand, palm out.
 
“I will prevent him from being drawn in by using my Wind Tunnel on him. Fight fire with fire.”
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Translations:
Abyssus abyssum invocat. Latin; Hell calls hell (one mistake leads to another).
 
Toukajin: Peach-fruit man (volume 9).
 
Hitotsu. Kekki no yuu o imashimuru koto. One. Develop self-control. From the dojo kun.
 
Kiritsu: order, rules, law. Special attack: tsunami kazangan ha (tsunami of earth attack)
 
Chudan kamae. The action of drawing a katana from the saya in one smooth, flowing motion and holding it at middle guard.
Kesagiri: diagonal stroke of the katana, slanted down toward the shoulder and neck.
Nagi: belly stroke, the blade held horizontally and angled slightly downward.
Noto: the series of movements required to return a katana back to its saya.
 
Colors:
Indigo, 6th chakra: development of psychic abilities, intuitive attunement, spiritual growth.
Violet, 7th chakra: a stronger link with cosmic energy, greater spiritual awareness, and a sense of fulfillment.
 
 
R&R Thanks:
 
FF:
Fenikkusuken (sorry about the retinal burns…but I'm glad the story alleviated any boredom on the job…tsk, tsk!), yoyo person (the Taijitu is the symbol for Yin and Yang…google images for yin yang and you'll see it), billysgotagun, Archangel Gabrielle, The Painted Lady, mcleigh1979, kikyou-kagome-2000, snowecat (hhmm, Miroku and Sango with symbols…we'll see), jcnkitten, Moomoogirl1, Mrs. JediK1 (thanks, from one looney to another!), OneInuLover (namaste, and thanks for the moral support!), Photographing Poetry.
 
MM:
yugiohgirl03: Sadly, I can't access the reviews on AS anymore…waah.
 
Tevrah: Thanks for the 10s!
 
Kuramas gurl: A week, huh? When I first got on MM sometimes I would read all day…but I didn't get anything else done so that had to stop.
 
TheFabledCat: Thank you! I try to write romance, not porn…and I try to keep the characters and situations in line with the manga. It takes a bit of research, especially since I haven't moved IY and his pack from the Sengoku Jidai…
 
phoenixburns: .Thank you for a kind review, and I'm sorry I made you wait so long this time! The next chapter should be up in a few days.
 
gypsymuse: I'm rather fond of Miroku and Sango myself, although I have to say I like all the canon pairings (I/K, M/S, R/S). Thank you for your kind review, and I'm glad that you like the M/S lemon…I always felt that he would never push her, and that if anything outside of marriage ever happened she would be the one to initiate it. But, now that they've started…Miroku really does love her, in all ways.
 
jade_pendant: glad you like the story! Again, sorry for the length of time before the update.
 
misticknight2002: Yeah, that chapter was shorter than some. My first chapters were quite short, then again, I have some really loooooong chapters, too. It depends on the story line…so sometimes they're gonna be short, and sometimes there gonna be long. Sorry you're confused, but you aren't supposed to know quite where the story is headed…at least not yet.
 
Leo-mae: Aww, man. You didn't enjoy it as much (you gave me a 9 not a 10)`cause I wasn't beating up on poor Kouga. Well, maybe he'll come back to get beat up on again…or maybe that bear youkai ate him…which would you prefer?
 
Inuyashaloverr: Noo-noo is the vacuum cleaner on the Teletubbies show…scary beyond belief. Glad you like the story and the parodies…maybe I'll do another one soon. I like Darth Sesshoumaru, too!
 
InuBaby369246: Yes, Kagome did die, but she was still “tethered” to her body and to Inuyasha through a soul connection. I've chosen to have the Goshinboku represent the Creator (silver and gold being the colors of the chakras which correspond to our connections with the Creator). When she let go of her own control and made the choice to believe and trust in the power of creation, it allowed the Creator to return her to her healed body. Does that make more sense now? I'm trying to inject a bit of spirituality into my story, as I think that it's present in the manga, albeit in a subtle way.
 
Sesshy81: There are several sites online that will give you access to quotes. Just google “Latin” and “quotes” and up pop all sorts of places to peruse. I use some of them, but I also know enough Latin to make some of my own titles. I usually have 2-3 working titles for a chapter subject, then pick the one that fits the best with the way the chapter wrote itself.
 
 
 
Bless you all for reading! My muse and I love it!
 
L.P.