InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytales Do Come True ❯ First Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Welcome, readers, to Fairytales Do Come True, my first ever AU fanfic. (It's also my longest; this first chapter alone is longer then any of my other stories.) Let me give you a quick FYI: I write all Inuyasha fanfics in my notebook BEFORE I write them on the computer. I've already finished writing Chapter 3 of this story. It just takes forever to type up. So, just be warned, I already have everything planned out. However, suggestions are welcome.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````
 
 
“Kagome! Kagome, I have terrible news!”
 
“Calm down , Mom,” Kagome Higurashi said. The seventeen-year-old's mom was constantly freaking out over even the smallest things. What could it be this time? Kagome's little brother Sota had probably just gotten a small cut.
 
“Kagome, your third cousin Kikyo….she's….she's dead!” Kagome's eyes went from the arrows she was fletching in a small work room to her mom.
 
“Kikyo?” she whispered? Kikyo was Kagome's friend….well, sort of. They were being trained as mikos by Kagome's grandfather. To make it easier for the old man, they had classes at the same time. An odd friendship had grown between the two girls. Kikyo was Kagome's mentor seeing as she was better at controlling her spiritual power, but it was well known that Kagome had the greater power.
 
“How did she die?” Kagome asked her mother.
 
“The police said it was a hit-and-run,” Mrs. Higurashi answered. “There's a detective looking into it. In the meantime, the family has requested that you attend the funeral in three days.”
 
“Did they say why?”
 
“No,” said Mrs. Higurashi. “They just asked that you come. If you need me, I'm going to be working on laundry.” She left the small shed.
 
Kagome went back to her fletching, but her mind was elsewhere. Kikyo was more then your average miko-in-training; she was the guardian of the Shikon no Tama, or the Jewel of Four Souls. Kikyo was also believed to be the reincarnation of their great-great-grandmother Kikyo. Not only did the two Kikyo's look alike, the younger Kikyo was born precisely forty-nine years after the elder Kikyo died. It didn't help Kagome much that she looked like her third-cousin Kikyo and was born exactly one year later, or, fifty years after the death of grandma Kikyo.
 
Kagome finally finished the last arrow and took it and her bow outside. It had been a long tradition with her and Kikyo; the last arrow fletched was the first one two be shot. She walked to the small archery in the back that contained three targets. She stood in front of the center target and nocked the arrow. She lifted the bow, aimed, and shot. The arrow hit the target just a half-inch above dead center.
 
“Kikyo would have had it perfect,” Kagome muttered.
 
“Maybe,” said a voice behind her. “But then again, maybe not.” Kagome whirled. There, standing in front of her, was her dead cousin Kikyo.
 
“I…I thought you were dead,” Kagome said, shaking.
 
“I am dead.” Kikyo replied. “I've come to give you a message.”
 
“And what would that be?”
 
Kikyo smiled. “I never was great-great-grandmother Kikyo's reincarnation. Our family had it wrong the whole time.” Kagome stared in shock. Her eyes grew wider as Kikyo slowly began to fade. “Also,” the ghost said, her voice only a whisper. “Watch over Inuyasha.”
 
“Who's…?” Kagome began, but Kikyo had already disappeared. The whole episode seemed almost like a dream.
 
Kagome walked in from the archery range and hung up her unstrung bow on its hook. She went into her house and collapsed on the bed in her room.
 
“What's wrong, dear?” Mrs. Higurashi asked as she passed Kagome's room.
 
The young girl sat up. “Mom,” she asked. “Is it possible that I've seen a ghost?”
 
“Why, yes, dear,” her mom answered. “A ghost is simply a type of spirit. Our family has been able to see spirits fro generations.”
 
Now that Kagome knew she wasn't dreaming about the ghost, she had a few things to puzzle over. 1. If cousin Kikyo wasn't grandma Kikyo's reincarnation, who was? 2. Who was this Inuyasha she was supposed to watch over? The name, which meant dog-spirit, definitely wasn't a human name. And if it wasn't a human name, it was a demon name. This brought her to her third and final question: why was cousin Kikyo asking her to watch over a demon?
 
Kagome was still thinking when the day of the funeral came. It was, to put it simply, depressing. Everyone was dressed in black, even the monk who performed the ceremony. Kagome knew that, since she was such a sentimental person, she would burst out in tears if she really paid attention to the funeral rites. Instead she amused herself by studying the guests. Most were family, but a few were people Kikyo had helped out at one time or another. Some others were Kikyo's friends from her senior class at the high school. And then, there was one who didn't seem to belong. He was standing apart from the others. Kagome concentrated her miko senses on him and was unsurprised to detect a faint youkai aura. Could this be…?
 
 
 
Inuyasha was dying to take off his black hat, but he didn't want anyone to see his ears and know what he was. It only made it worse knowing that there was more then one miko in the family. They would probably try to purify him on sight…just like Kikyo. Hey, it wasn't his fault that a lot of demons hated humans these days. Many demons were for removing the humans completely. For Inuyasha, being half-demon was a struggle, for no one was on his side. He still wondered why she was here at this funeral, where any human with the power could kill him.
 
Wait, that was an easy answer. He was here because Kikyo had asked him to be here. He thought back to that day, only a week ago…
 
Inuyasha looked out his bedroom window when he heard the noise. It sounded like a screech of car tires, followed by a scream. His eyes opened wide when he caught a glimpse of the victim. No, it couldn't be….
 
He raced out his front door and into the street. There she was, lying in a pool of her own blood. He knew she was going to visit him today, but he wasn't expecting anything like this to happen. No one ever expects anything like this.
 
He knelt down next to the girl in the street. He knew it would be another moment before the ambulances arrived. Already, people were coming out into the road. They only had a moment alone.
 
“Kikyo,” he whispered, anguish ripping his heart.
 
She turned at his voice and slowly opened her eyes. “Inuyasha,” she said, her voice barely a whisper.
 
“Yes, it's me,” he reassured her.
 
“Promise me something.”
 
“Anything, anything at all.”
 
“Please, come to my funeral.”
 
“Yes, yes, of course.”
 
“And….cough, cough….watch over Kagome.”
 
“I will,” he promised, thinking he would figure out later who this Kagome was.
 
“Good,” Kikyo whispered. She coughed again. A moment later, the ambulance pulled up and loaded her in to take her to the emergency room, and Inuyasha followed. The paramedics did their best, but Kikyo was dead before they reached the hospital…
 
And that's why he was standing here, dressed in black, and more uncomfortable then he'd ever been in his life.
 
Inuyasha had planned to walk away right after the funeral was done, but something made him stand there for awhile, staring at the grave. After a few minutes, a teenage girl walked over and stood next to him. He looked at her face, and then did a double-take. No, she wasn't Kikyo's ghost come to haunt him; she just looked incredibly like the dead miko.
 
“It's sad, isn't it,” the girl said. “Even thought I'm a miko, and I have to `kill' demons, it doesn't make any death easier on me.”
 
“No, it wouldn't,” Inuyasha agreed.
 
“I'm Kagome, by the way,” she added, holding out her hand for him to shake.
 
“Inuyasha,” he said after hesitating a moment, and shook her hand. Could this be the Kagome he was supposed to look after?
 
“Will you be coming to the reception?” she asked.
 
“I wasn't planning on it,” he admitted.
 
“You should,” she said, giving him a searching look. “I'm sure Kikyo wouldn't mind a youkai at her funeral reception.”
 
He almost jumped. How did…oh yeah, she's a miko. Kagome winked at him, then left.
 
“Quite something, isn't she?” a voice from behind him said. This time, Inuyasha really did jump.
 
“K…Kikyo?” he stuttered. “I thought you were dead!”
 
Kikyo rolled her eyes. “Why does everyone have to say that,” she muttered. “Yes, I'm dead. I'm here because I have unfinished business, namely, you and the Shikon Jewel.”
 
“How am I unfinished business?” Inuyasha asked, perplexed.
 
“Yes, well, um….”
 
“Please, continue.”
 
“I was on my way to tell you something when I got run over.”
 
“Feh. I knew that much. What exactly were you going to tell me?”
 
“We-ell,” she said, playing with her fingers.
 
“Just. Spit. It. Out.”
“Iwasonmywaytobreakupwithyou,” she said in a hurry. Unfortunately, Inuyasha's superior hearing caught every word. Also unfortunately, she faded away before Inuyasha could say anything.
 
Inuyasha felt like he had been slapped in the face. “Stupid wench,” he muttered, trying to hide his hurt feelings. In a huff, he walked over to where his motorcycle was parked. There he found Kikyo's look-a-like, Kagome, standing with a frustrated expression on her face. “What's wrong, wench?” he asked sneaking up from behind.
 
She jumped. “My ride left without me,” she admitted.
 
“Well, how about a different ride?” he offered, grinning.
 
“With whom?” Kagome asked warily.
 
“Why me, of course!”
 
“In what!?”
 
“In that.” He pointed to his motorcycle, and Kagome nearly fainted. “What's wrong with it?” He asked, offended.
 
“It's a motorcycle!?” she nearly screamed.
 
“Yeah, so? I have an extra helmet.” He got on his motorcycle and quickly switched his hat for a helmet. In between, Kagome thought she caught a glimpse of puppy ears on the teen's head.
 
“You getting on, or what?” Inuyasha asked. She sighed and sat down behind him. He passed her a helmet and she put it on. Somehow, it fit her perfectly.
 
“You'll need to hold onto my waist,” he instructed. She did as he ordered, tentatively at first, then more confidently when he didn't flinch. He revved the engine, then took off.
 
“You were wrong about,” he said to Kagome over his shoulder.
 
“In what way?” she asked.
 
“I'm not a youkai.”
 
“Then why can I sense a demonic aura coming from you?”
 
“Just let me finish, wench! I'm not a youkai, a full demon. I'm a hanyou, a half-demon.”
 
Why does Kikyo want me to watch over this person, they both wondered in their heads.
 
“It's really difficult being hanyou. Youkai call me weak; most humans can't stand the sight of me.”
 
“Most humans?” This girl and her questioning were really getting on Inuyasha's nerves. She might be able to find out something she didn't need to know.
 
“There are a few who accept us.” Kagome smiled. She knew that with each question she came closer to something he didn't want her to know.
 
“Would Kikyo have been one of those people?” she asked.
 
“None of your business, wench!” the hanyou almost shouted. Kagome nearly laughed. That meant yes, of course. She was surprised at how easily she was able to read this hanyou through his voice. His face was, of course, facing forward. If it wasn't, he'd be in major trouble for not watching the road.
 
After Inuyasha's outburst, the two were silent. Kagome began to wish they would arrive at the reception hall. The hanyou's hair was getting in her face. Finally, the motorcycle turned into the parking lot in front of a one-story building. “We're here,” he announced.
 
Kagome got off and unsnapped her helmet. “Are you sure you don't want to stay for the reception?” she asked, handing it to him.
 
He snorted. “Ain't half the women in your family mikos? I'll be purified before I even get ten feet in the door.”
 
“For your information, Kikyo and I were the last two living mikos in our family. Now, I'm the only one left. Will you come?”
 
“Feh.”
 
“Is that a yes or a no?”
 
“It ain't either.”
 
“Fine. I'll take it as a yes.” Kagome pulled Inuyasha off his motorcycle and through the door.
 
“Why are you so obsessed with getting me to the reception?” he grumbled. He wasn't overly upset; he wanted to know more about this girl Kikyo asked him to baby-sit.
 
“You intrigue me,” Kagome said as they stopped in front of the room where the reception was. It was already full of people. “You're a hanyou and you came to Kikyo's funeral. I'm trying to find out why.”
 
Ah, so this was a two way investigation. Only, she didn't know that he was investigation her and he wasn't sure that she was telling him the whole truth.
 
Kagome opened the inner door, and the pair entered the room. Kikyo's tearful mother saw them enter, and she whispered something to her husband. He nodded, and walked over to a microphone placed in front of the room.
 
“May I have your attention, please?” he asked. The room fell silent. “My wife and I were called to the hospital shortly after Kikyo's…unfortunate accident. In her last few minutes of life, she had given the paramedic a message to deliver to us. She was not, as was believed by the family, the reincarnation of Grandma Kikyo. Fortunately, she was able to give us the true identity of Grandma Kikyo's reincarnation and requested that we pass the care of the Shikon no Tama, the Jewel of Four Souls, into this person's hands.”
 
He cleared his throat. “Would Kagome Higurashi please step forward?”
 
Kagome and Inuyasha stared at the speaker, and then the hanyou gave the miko a little push forward. She walked up slowly, thinking about how this was what she had always wanted. She only wished that Kikyo could be around to see it.
 
Kikyo's father was still talking. “After Kikyo's revelation, we looked at the facts. Kagome was born fifty years to the day after Grandma Kikyo died. The two of them look incredibly alike. Also, it is a well-known fact that Kagome has a great amount of spiritual energy. Grandma Kikyo was well known for her incredible amount of spiritual energy.”
 
When Kagome reached Kikyo's father, he pulled out a large, glowing jewel. The entire audience gasped, for it was immediately recognizable as the Shikon Jewel. “Kagome Higurashi,” Kikyo's father said. “Will you accept the job of protecting this jewel, the Shikon no Tama?”
 
What could Kagome say? She was backed into a corner. “Yes,” she said wearily. “I will protect this jewel with my life.”
 
It was handed to her. She took it and walked back to where Inuyasha stood. “I know you just brought me here,” she said. “But could you please take me back home?”
 
The hanyou nodded, but didn't say anything. This time, he led the way out and towards his motorcycle. “Where do you live?” he asked.
 
“Oh, um, Sunset Shrine,” she told him.
 
The whole ride to Kagome's house happened in silence. Inuyasha was deep in thought, wondering about what Kikyo had told him. Why had she wanted to break off their relationship? Everything had been going to well for them. But, then again, she was a miko and he was a hanyou. Such relationships were not meant to be.
 
“We're here,” he announced ten minutes later. Kagome got off the motorcycle and once again handed him her helmet. She pulled out a piece of paper, wrote something down, and handed it to him.
 
“Here's my email,” she said. “Keep in touch.”
 
He nodded, and pocketed the paper. He hesitated for a moment, then ever so gently touched her cheek with his long claws. He quickly ran to his motorcycle and sped off.
 
Kagome placed her hand on her cheek exactly where Inuyasha's claws had been a moment before. Then, she began the long journey up the steps. When she reached the top, she saw a figure with their back to her and with a hand on the Goshinboku. The figure turned and smiled.
 
“So, what do you think of him?” Kikyo asked.
 
“He's a puzzle,” Kagome admitted. “One minute, he's offering me a ride, the next, he's yelling at me, then he starts getting all affectionate!”
 
“And…?” Kikyo probed.
 
“And what?” Kagome asked. “I've only known the guy for a few hours. All I really know is that he's a hanyou and he rides a motorcycle. I can guess that he ahd some sort of relationship with you. Why else would he have come to your funeral? Why I really don't get is why you want me to watch over him. He seems perfectly capable of taking care of himself.”
 
“He was my boyfriend,” Kikyo said after a moment. “I was on my way to break up with him when I was run over by that car.”
 
“And does he know this?” Kagome asked.
 
“He does now.”
 
“You visited him, too? What was his response?”
 
“Same as yours.” Kikyo looked at the watch she had on her wrist. “Speaking of, I need to go pay him another little visit. He should be home by now.”
 
“One quick question. Are you going to keep visiting me like this?
 
“Of course I am. The higher-ups have made you, the jewel, and Inuyasha my personal business. I have to stop by every few days to check up on you.” Kikyo began fading at the start of her little speech. By the end, she was gone completely.
 
“It wouldn't kill you not to be so mysterious for once,” Kagome muttered under her breath. It looked like her distant cousin hadn't changed at all in death.
 
The young miko-in-training went to her secret place. She had a lot to think about, and she needed silence in which to do her thinking.
 
 
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````
 
Phew! That's the longest chapter I've ever written. I think I have typer's cramp now. It might be awhile before I update; it depends on how long I can hog the computer cause my two older brothers really like using it. As always, please review!s