InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Growing up ❯ Beginnings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It seemed as though the sun would never rise, as Inuyasha dashed trough the forest, searching for an answer… an answer to the painful memory that had opened up into his mind. A memory that wasn't his…or was it? A blinding flash filled his sight, when he thought he'd finally reached his destination he leaned forward in anticipation, but suddenly he heard a horrific scream.

Kagome screamed as she jumped down from the building's roof. Sprinting around to the back of the slide, she ducked and watched. Silence greeted her straining ears, and she leaned to the side as she took another peek from behind the slide. No one stood there. Confused, Kagome stood and walked towards the swings. Brushing the sand of the playground of her skirt, she sat on the seat and pushed her feet on the ground to gain air. Was he mad at her? She hoped not…
Creeping up behind the girl, a boy wrapped his arms around her and covered her eyes and mouth. Kagome tried to stifle a scream, but couldn't break away from him enough. Instead she opened her mouth and felt fingers slide into her cavern. With a satisfying yelp from the boy, she let her teeth sink into his flesh and pulled back from his grasp. Running a few yards away, she turned to face a boy, about a foot taller than herself with long white hair. She took her fighting stance, grinning evilly.
“What's wrong, mutt face? Isn't that your nickname??” she cooed watching his face get even redder.
“You bitch! Your gonna pay for that!! I'll rip your throat out!” he screamed back in response.
Used to threats such as these, Kagome only put on her innocent face, holding her hands behind her back and crossing her foot behind her other leg. Her eyes got really big, and her mouth drooped into a cute frown.
“Why, Inuyasha! That's no way to talk to a lady!” she teased, skipping up to him and planting a kiss on his cheek. Inuyasha's face went brick red, and he hid his blush with a fake angry glare at her as he reached out and grabbed her wrist. Kagome tried to pull away, but he grabbed her other wrist and pulled her towards him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Kagome looked into his golden orbs, scared of what might happen. He might actually hit her today…
“I'll let you save face for now, Higarashi. But don't push it anymore. I don't like it when you do that, and I swear I will hurt you next time. Besides, it's getting late, we have to get home, or our moms are gonna butcher us!” Inuyasha told her as he swung her onto his back and began on their journey home.
Kagome held onto his shoulders and waited for him to say something else. When he didn't, she moved her head down so that her mouth was next to his cute dog ear and whispered, “I'm sorry, tomodachi…I was only playing. I won't do that again. I swear.”
Inuyasha just grunted, but inside his heart was pounding and he couldn't help but think in response to her `I'm sorry too, Kagome.'
The rest of the time they were quiet, but Kagome didn't mind as she fell asleep on his back. He was her best friend. She was only seven years old, and she would never stop thanking the skies for meeting him. Never in all of time would she ask for another half-demon to be her savior…

Finally Inuyasha reached their houses. It was getting late, and their mothers were worried.
“Inuyasha!! What took so long?? You're only a little pup, what if you got hurt? Or Kagome?!” his mother cried out as soon as he set her down on the porch.
“HAHA-CHAN!!! Knock it off! I'm not a pup! We were just playing tag, and didn't see how dark it was! Geez!”
Kagome smiled as she walked over to the hanyou and hugged him goodnight. She ran up to his mother and hugged her, too.
“Night night Auntie!” she squeaked and ran to her own mother to bury her face in her tummy. Her mother was quite short for her age. But the mothers were young and beautiful as were their children.
“feh, night wench. You better be ready for school tomorrow! I'm not waiting for you next time!” Inuyasha growled and stomped into the house to go to bed. He felt a little guilty for being mean to her earlier but she had called him names and had forced him to take her to the playground in the first place! Stomping up the stairs, he passed his mother's work room where she wrote and sewed all day. He came to an abrupt halt at the next door…it was open.
That door was never EVER open….it was only cracked a tiny bit, and the lights inside were turned on like usual. He peeked silently into the crack and his eyes widened. Tripping over backwards, he stumbled over the rug and tumbled down the hallway right back to the foot of the stairs. Cursing up a storm he stood and ran for his room, right past The Door. Gasping for air as he made it into the last room at the end of the hall, up in the attic, he pulled the steps up and locked it so no one could come up. His terrified look softened and his breathing slowed, as he walked over to the window. It looked directly into Kagome's room, which was also in the attic.
A warm comfort spread over his body as he watched the mortal slip under the sheets and cuddle up next to her little inu stuffed animal. Drifting off into his own world he leaned on the window sill and slightly smiled.
“oyasumi nasai, kagome-chan” he whispered to the little girl.
He wasn't sure, but when he opened his window and turned to get undressed, he swore he heard a voice whisper back, “oyasumi, Inu-sama…”
**********************************
************************9 years later**************************************

Inuyasha awoke to the sound of his alarm clock at five in the morning. He had to go to work after school. Stupid job. Rolling over, he smashed his hand on the snooze button and sat up in bed. Hopefully today would be a better day.
Every morning was the same; waking up to a crispy cold breeze from his open window, and staring out into the room across from his. There was always a sweet scent coming from that room. Growling softly and yawning, he stood up and walked over to his own shower in his room. A nice warm stream rained down on his hand and he removed his clothes and stepped under it. The water droplets embraced his firm abs, and strong shoulders, trailing down to his nicely shaped rear and legs. Hard labor had its perks, he was in phenomenal shape. He scrubbed his scalp vigorously and almost cut into it with his claws again. He was too tired to notice though, scrubbing to close to his ear and he nicked it.
“Great, this is going to be a grand day,” he thought, as he flattened his dog ears on the top of his head. His long silver hair reached down to touch his lower back. It was one thing he hated about himself, that he was half human. If he was a demon, he could protect his mother better, but he was angry that she was a human herself. The townspeople called her a whore, and she slept with a demon that left her when she announced her pregnancy, and went back to his other mistress who had birthed him a full demon. Inuyasha had never met his half brother, and he didn't want to.
He grumpily smacked the shower nozzle away and pushed in the knob to turn it off. Stepping back out into the cold, his exposed body took in the comforting wind and he sighed in a relaxed sort of way. He'd try harder today not to get into any fights over stupid things, because today, she was coming back. It was today that she'd get a ride to school with him just like when they were kids. Yes, today would be a really good day…


Kagome showered and dressed and walked over to her bed. She spread the blanket and smoothed it then turned around and smiled at the sleeping boy in the room across from hers. It was only a matter of time until he opened his beautiful golden eyes, and she feasted on his appearance once more. Hopefully he wouldn't hate her for this….
Walking over to her vanity mirror, she peered at her own reflection and mentally kicked herself. That face was the same but what about that shiny nose ring? Her hair style had gone from long and wavy to a razor-frilled layered and straightened cut, her bangs angled over her right eye. Her dark denim jeans suited well with her red and black knitted halter top, accentuated by her favorite locket. Her knee high laced boots added two inches to her 5'5” height, but still made her feel a bit phobic of tripping.
She'd been away at her dad's house for the summer and a few weeks through school. He'd kidnapped her and brought her to his home so that she could make money for him. She hated her father for multiple reasons; he was a deadbeat- he'd left her mother before she was born and hadn't wanted her in the first place. He even tried to force her to get an abortion. Both her parents were only 16 when Kagome was born. When she was four he kidnapped her for the first time, and he tried to touch her in inappropriate places; She was young but not stupid. He'd also at one point in time asked her to sell drugs at her school for him, and this time he took her away to be a prostitute in his house. She'd refused, but agreed to help him get a real job and upkeep the house. As much as she was angry at him, despised him even, she knew that he was in fact her father by blood.
Her mother had raised her proper, with what little she had, and her generosity and good morals had passed to her daughter. Kagome was too good natured to leave him on his last limb, she had to do right even though he'd never done anything for her. She always thought the only family she would need would be her mother, Kanako, and of course Mieko, Inuyasha's mother, but life could always prove to be wrong couldn't it? Maybe one day she'd need him. Until then she'd do what she could to get her father to a better future, show him that everyone deserved a chance.
Picking up her school bag, she glanced out the window once more to see a very shirt-lacking hanyou spraying himself down with cologne. She smiled and sighed heavily, nervous about how the reunion would play out. After some finishing touches to her wardrobe and backpack, she prepared to walk downstairs to eat breakfast and wait for her best friend to pick her up.

***************************************************************** *******
Inuyasha scarfed down his breakfast of oatmeal and raisins, chugged his milk and belched loudly as his mother walked in.
“oi…anou….Inuyasha? Is that smell coming from you?? Arigato Kami!!! ARIGATO!! He smells clean for once!!” She fell to her knees and clasped her hands together with a very evil smirk on her face as she closed her eyes and pretended to pray.
Ignoring her comment, he leaned down to peck her on the cheek, “Arigato Okaasan, love you, too. I'm going now.”
“Oh!! Say hello to Kanako for me!! Love you too son I always do!” He smiled at her one more time, then left the woman dancing in circles, relishing in his fresh, clean scent. He laughed as he walked down the steps of his house and right back up the ones to Kanako's. He knocked on the door and heard the woman cry, “Come on in, Inuyasha!!”
He took a deep breath, and turned the knob for the door. Kanako was standing infront of the stove, packing a bento box. She placed the lid on and wrapped it in a pink lace cloth. Turning around, her work complete, she smiled and held her arms open to Inuyasha.
“Why hello my dear! How is Mieko?? I must go and have a cup of coffee with her, I've new gossips to share.” Kanako smiled and hugged her godson tightly. He hadn't visited for a few days, he'd been working a summer job that carried into the school year that kept him busy til dusk.
“she's fine, having a fit of religious worship over my appearance today, says hello. I'm sure she'd love a visit.” He squeezed her gently and stepped back, scanning the room for one of Kanako's baking binges. She made the world's best treats, and always had something fresh for him without fail. Sure enough, he spotted cookies and readily made haste for the wrapped goodness.
“oh yes, you'll love these! Pumpkin and oat cookies!! my newest creation. Might put these in my autumn themed cookbook this year. Seasons coming soon, the book should be finished next week, just throwing in a few last minute things. Kagome's finished her breakfast, no leftovers today. Sorry,” she added, but knew Mieko had fed him. She always made him eat before he left in the morning. Inuyasha was halfway through his third cookie when a giggle made him freeze. He slowly turned around to gaze at the stairway, and the best friend he'd been agonizing to see. Well...two and a half months definitely made a difference.
Kagome was still smiling at his dumbfound expression when she made it to the bottom of the stairs. Four more strides and she was reaching to him, arms stretched to the maximum. Without another thought he dropped the cookie and wrapped his arms around her, reveling in the scent of lavender and vanilla in her hair. She looked amazing...older and more cultured then the childish pink in her round face. She must have been doing work herself during her absence, her entire body was toned, and her “baby weight” they'd joked about had gone, she had grown.
“Hey Inu...its good to see you.” Her sweet voice charmed him still, like soft bells in the wind.
“welcome home tomodachi.” Inuyasha breathed into her ear.

Oh yeah, today would be a great day.