InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ A Surprising Discovery ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
(But I do own Amaya Hikari. : D )
 
A/N: This story is based off a random thought I had. I tried to keep the characters as close to their true nature as I could. Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!
 
 
CHAPTER ONE: A SURPRISING DISCOVERY
 
The sun shone brightly through the window and landed on Kagome Higurashi's face. Squinting, she covered her face with her hands and groaned softly.
She rolled over and looked at her clock. “Oh damn” she muttered and leaped off her bed. “I'm gonna be late. I'm gonna be late. I'm gonna be late.” She raced frantically around her room, searching for something to wear.
3 years have past since Kagome first fell down the well and met the half-demon InuYasha. Now she spilt her time between working at the local retirement home, finishing her last year of school and visiting her friends back in the Feudal Era.
And right now she was late for work.
Rushing down the stairs Kagome called out a goodbye to her family and ran out the door, “That's it. No more late nighters with InuYasha in the Feudal Era.”
Brushing her hair out of her face she turned the car on and pulled out of the driveway. Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, she gripped the steering wheel tightly and thought about her newfound relationship with the hanyou.
Over a year ago they defeated Naraku and successfully put the Shikon Jewel back together. InuYasha sorted out his feeling for Kagome and Kikyo and in the end chose Kagome. Kikyo, angered that InuYasha would not go with her to Hell, disappeared without a trace and left Kagome and InuYasha alone.
Kagome pulled into a parking spot and ran inside; smiling at the receptionist she went into the back room to change. Pushing thoughts of her boyfriend and their strange relationship out her head mind, Kagome checked her schedule for the day.
“Hana Rain?” Kagome murmured frowning, “Who's that?” she flipped through her files again, “And what happened to Mrs. Clark?”
Holding her files under one arm she walked swiftly to the back office where the owner, Mrs. Trinity Hondas, of the Trinity Jewel Retirement Home worked. Knocking softly, Kagome opened the door after a stern voice answered.
Mrs. Hondas looked up form her paperwork and gazed at Kagome over the top of her glasses, “Ah, Miss Higurashi. Good morning.”
She looked at her clock, “Running a little late this morning?”
Kagome blushed and ducked her head, “Yes Mrs. Hondas. I'm sorry. I was out later last night then I should have and I guess I forgot to set my alarm.”
Mrs. Hondas waved a hand and smiled, “My dear, you don't have to explain yourself to me. I quite understand. If I remember correctly you have a new boyfriend, yes?”
Kagome bit her lip, her face aflame.
Mrs. Hondas laughed, “I'll take that as a yes. Well, I make it a point to not interfere in my employee's affairs; as long as their affairs don't interfere with their work. Understand?”
Kagome nodded again and bowed slightly, “Yes ma'm. I understand. It won't happen again.”
Mrs. Hondas stood, “Good. Now that that's taken care of, what did you need to see me about?”
Kagome walked over and handed her one of her files, “I was wondering if maybe I got somebody else file by mistake, and maybe they got mine.”
Mrs. Hondas frowned as she looked over the file, “And whose file do you seem to be missing?”
“Mrs. Clark. Thelma Clark. She's in room 109.”
Mrs. Hondas nodded, “Ah yes. No, this is correct. Unfortunately Mrs. Clark died last night.”
Kagome covered her mouth with her hand, tears pricking at the back of her eyes, “Oh no.”
Mrs. Hondas handed back the file. “Yes. It was peaceful though. She went in her sleep.”
“Good. I'm glad.”
Mrs. Hondas gently patted Kagome on her back, “I'm sorry Kagome. But you knew this was coming. She was very old. And her family knew she wouldn't last long.”
Kagome sighed, deeply, “Yes, I know.”
She looked over her new file, “So this is my new file. Hana Rain Young? Anything special about her?”
Mrs. Hondas leaned against her desk and crossed her arms, “No, nothing unusual. She's 73, was born and raised in Japan. Married an American, moved to America for a few years, then come back when their son married. Actually it was her son who came to me. Nice man. Sad eyes though. He told me his father died 16 years ago, after he lost his granddaughter.”
“Lost her?” Kagome echoed.
“Yes. She came for a visit and then she disappeared without a trace. Nobody knew what happened to her. A year later the grandfather died from grief. He never forgave himself. The son, Ryan, and his wife took Hana to live with them in America, but she was too unhappy there. They decided the best thing was for her to live in Japan. So she could be happy until she died.”
Kagome nodded, “That makes sense. That's too bad her granddaughter was lost. What a sad thing.”
The phone rang and Mrs. Hondas turned to answer it, “Excuse me Kagome.” She picked up the phone, and spoke quietly. “I see,” she turned to Kagome and covered the mouth piece with her hand, “I'm sorry Kagome, but I need to take this.”
Kagome nodded and bowed, “Yes. Thank you for your help.”
She exited and shut the door softly behind her. Looking down at her files Kagome read over Hana Rain's file, everything Mrs. Hondas had told her was on there.
“That's so sad” she murmured.
Setting her shoulder back she walked down the hallway to Hana Rain's room. 108. Right across the hall from Mrs. Clarks old room. Kagome stopped between the doors and took a shaky breath.
I wishI was here, when she died.” She closed her eyes and quickly wiped her tears before she entered the room.
Smiling brightly she walked over to an old woman sitting in a rocking chair by the window, “Hello Mrs. Young. My name is Kagome Higurashi. I'll be your attendant while you're staying here at Trinity Jewel.”
The old woman smiled, “Hello Kagome. And please call me Hana.” She turned and her eyes widened, “You're back!” the old woman's eyes filled with tears. She grabbed Kagome's arm “You're come home!”
Kagome smiled gently, “I'm sorry?”
“Akari! You've returned from the well!”
Kagome's smile froze and she took a deep breath, “I'm sorry Hana. But you have me confused with someone else. My name is Kagome. And I work here at Trinity Jewel.” Hana's eyes dulled and she released Kagome's arm, “Of course” she murmured. “I apologize Kagome. Forgive an old woman's eyes. They are not what they used to be.” Kagome nodded, “Oh, that's alright. Will you please excuse me?”
She turned and walked swiftly out the door; closing it behind her she leaned her forehead against the wall and took deep slow breaths. “How strange. Why did her words trouble me so much?”
“Kagome? Are you okay?”
Kagome lifted her head and turned to see her fellow co-worker and friend, Janice Lancing.
Kagome smiled and shrugged, “Uh, yeah. I'm okay. I just…I just found out about Mrs. Clark.”
Janice placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder and squeezed it gently, “I'm sorry.”
Kagome nodded, “Thank you.” She cleared her throat, “Well, I better go and meet my new person. Name's Hana Rain. Know anything?”
Janice's eyes widen slightly, “She's here?”
Kagome frowned, “You know her?”
“Well, it's more like I know of her. Isn't she the one whose granddaughter went missing 17 years ago?”
Kagome hugged her files to her chest and nodded, “Yes. I was just talking to Mrs. Hondas about it. She said it was because of that the grandfather died from grief.”
“Went crazy is more like it.”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, from what my mother told me. The grandfather told the police what happened to her, but nobody believed him. Said he must have been delusional.”
“What'd he say happened to her?”
“Oh it was weird actually. He said she-” she was cut off by her pager, “Oh, I gotta go. It's Mr. Gerries” she turned and hurried down the hall.
Kagome turned to room 108 but stopped and called after her friend, “Wait, what'd he say?”
Janice's head poked back around the corner, “What? Oh, he said she fell down a well.” Her head disappeared then popped back around again, “In fact I'm surprised you don't know about it Kagome.”
Kagome tilted her head, “Why?”
“They were at a shine. In fact it was the Higurashi shine.”
Kagome gasped and paled, “I-I see. Th-thank you Janice” she stuttered. She forced a smile, “You better get to Mr. Gerries before he comes looking for ya!” Janice let out a small eek and disappeared.
Kagome leaned against the wall and tried to steady her breathing, “If what Janice said is true. And that girl's grandfather was rightthen somebody else from this time went to the Feudal Era. Before me!”
 
 
A/N: *Enter Twighlight Zone music* Hee hee, I'm gonna have fun with this. Hope you liked it!