InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Just Believe ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER TWENTY: JUST BELIEVE
 
Kagome sighed deeply and pulled her knees up to her chest. She was sitting on the bank of the river that ran by Kaede's village. She had returned from the Western Lands almost three days ago and had hardly spoken a word. She did tell her companions Akari had been traveling with Sesshomaru, that Akari had died, and that she found her grave. But she left out everything Sesshomaru had told her, and how she had died. Somehow it didn't feel right to say it to anyone else.
“Kagome?”
“Kagome looked over her shoulder to see InuYasha walking towards her, “What are you doing?”
Kagome turned back to the water, “I'm just thinking.”
InuYasha sat down next to her, “About what?”
“I'm not sure.”
InuYasha frowned, “How the hell can you not know what you're talking about?”
Kagome sighed and leaned her head on his shoulder, “Not now InuYasha. I don't feel like fighting with you.”
InuYasha looked down at her in surprise then put an arm around her shoulder, “Whatever.”
They sat like that for several minutes till Kagome pulled back and looked up at InuYasha, “I love you” she whispered.
InuYasha's eyebrows shot up, “What?”
“I love you.”
“What's going on? Why-”
“And I will forever.”
InuYasha's face softened slightly, “Uh…oh…I love you too Kagome” he murmured and pulled her closer.
Kagome snuggled into his chest, and closed her eyes.
I wonder if this is how Akari felt, in Sesshomaru's arms.”
“InuYasha?”
“Yeah?”
“You are my HeartSong.”
InuYasha looked down at her, “What? HeartSong…what is that?”
Kagome smiled, “It is what you are to me. There is no other explanation.”
InuYasha tucked a piece of hair behind Kagome's ear and smiled slightly; his ears twitching as he listened to their heartbeats. Matching each other in rhythm; as if they were singing to each other.
“You're right” he whispered and buried his face in her hair.
“You are my HeartSong.”
 
Some hours later Shippo came out and told them it was time for dinner. As the group sat around the fire, Kagome and Sango talked about the wedding while Miroku helped Kaede serve up the food; and InuYasha and Shippo got into another argument.
“Kagome” Kaede said as she passed her a plate, “I found something that ye might find of interest.”
Kagome looked up, “Oh?”
Kaede walked over to the corner of her hut and pulled a book out of a basket.
“I found this after ye left for the Western Lands while I was cleaning. I had forgotten I even had it.”
She sat down next to Kagome and handed it to her, “It is in a strange writing.”
Kagome took the book and opened. Her eyes widened as she looked over the pages, “Oh my…” she whispered.
“What is it?” Shippo asked from a top InuYasha's head.
“This was Akari's. The reason Kaede couldn't read it was because it's in English.”
“Eng-lish?” Miroku asked.
“Yes. That's what they speak in America. Where Akari was from. I know a little from some classes I took.”
“So can you read it?” Sango looked over her shoulder.
“I…I think so. I think this was a book of poems.”
“Then don't read `em out loud” InuYasha growled.
Miroku nodded, “InuYasha's right. It would be a deep invasion of her privacy if all of us were to know what she wrote.”
InuYasha scoffed, “Whatever. I just don't want to hear them. Who cares about her privacy?”
Everyone sighed and shook their heads while Shippo smacked InuYasha on the forehead, “Idiot!”
 
After dinner was over, Kagome left the hut and slowly walked to the forest; the book in hand. She found a large boulder to lean against and settle comfortable into the grass. Opening the book she read through each page carefully, hoping for a deeper look into the girl's soul.
She finally finished reading it and started to close it when a folded paper fell out and fluttered to the ground. Setting the book next to her she reached down and picked up the paper. She gasped softly when she unfolded it; it was a striking resemblance to Sesshomaru. But the date on the paper was months before she fell in the well.
Did she know?”
Kagome leaned her head back and closed her eyes. She remembered when she spoken with Hana; she had told Kagome Akari was unique. She seemed to know things, and she could draw the most beautiful places, and people; that no one has ever seen. She didn't know where they came from; she just knew them.
“There you are.”
Kagome looked up to see Sango and Kaede coming towards her.
“You just left and we got worried” Sango explained as she took a seat next to her friend.
Kagome ducked her head, “I'm sorry. I didn't realize. I was just caught up in this book.”
Kaede chuckled as she sat on the other side of Kagome, “Yes. This girl Akari has seemed to cast quite a spell on everyone; hasn't she?”
“Is that Sesshomaru?” Sango pointed to the picture.
Kagome half shrugged, “I'm not sure. This was drawn way before she came here…but it looks just like him, doesn't it?”
“Yeah.”
“Then how did the child draw that?” Kaede asked.
“It was because of their connection” Kagome said softly.
“Connection?”
“Yes. They were bound together.”
“You mean like soul mates?” Sango asked.
Kagome smiled, “Something like that.”
She turned to Kaede, “I have a question.”
“Yes?”
“What ever happened to that beast Lyna and Gwna spoke of? The one Akari protected them against? I haven't ever seen it around here. Did you finally defeat it?”
“Nay child” Kaede shook her head, “Nearly three years after the girl had first appeared, I heard rumors that the Western Lord suddenly appeared in these parts, then he was gone. After that, we never saw the beast again.”
“Sesshomaru” Kagome whispered.
“You think Sesshomaru killed the beast for the villagers?” Sango asked.
Kagome shook her head, “Not for the villagers” she looked to the west, “He did it for Akari.”
Kagome put the picture back inside the book and stood up, “There's one more thing I have to do.”
 
Kagome locked her car and ran inside the retirement home. She had gotten back from the Feudal Era earlier that morning, but too early to come in. Now she was there the moment the doors opened.
She fluttered a hand to the receptionist as she ran past and down the hall to Hana Rain's room. She stopped short when she saw an older couple and a man standing outside the door, but didn't let it keep her away.
“Excuse me”
The older man turned, it was clear he had been crying and hadn't gotten much sleep.
“Yes?”
“Is something wrong?”
“My mother had a heart attack last night” he paused and took a shaky breath.
Kagome covered her mouth with a hand, “Oh no! I'm too late!”
“She is still with us. But it is only a matter of time.”
Thank God.”
Kagome took a deep breath, “My name is Kagome Higurashi. I've been taking care of Hana while she's here.”
The man smiled slightly and stuck out his hand, “Ryan Young.” He indicated to the woman, “My wife Julie” and then pointed to the other man, “And my son Davis.”
Kagome smiled back, “I know.”
“How-”
“Hana told me all about you.”
Kagome's eyes flickered over to the woman and felt a sudden hatred for her.
“She told me all about your family.” She paused then softly added, “Especially Akari.”
Both men stiffened slightly and the woman just looked away.
“I know this is very forward of me…but I need to talk to Hana.”
Ryan shook his head, “She hasn't been able to speak Kagome. She can hardly keep awake.”
Kagome closed her eyes and breathed deeply, “Can I at least sit with her? Please?”
Ryan nodded, “Of course.”
He opened the door for her, “Go on in.”
Kagome smiled her thanks and slipped into the room, softly shutting the door behind her. She slowly walked over to the bed and sat in the chair next to it. Machines beeping and flashing screens were the only signs the woman lying in the bed was still alive.
Kagome took one of Hana's frail hands and held it closely as she tried to blink back the tears.
“I found her” Kagome whispered.
“John was right. She did fall into that well. And she got sent to a wonderful place. I know because I go there all the time.”
Hana's eyes opened and very slowly her head turned to look at Kagome.
“I promise it Hana. Inside the well is a magical place. One where somebody can find what they've always been seeking for.”
“Akari” Hana murmured and her eyes fluttered.
Kagome didn't try to stop the tears that rolled down her face; they were too precious to just throw away.
“Yes Grandma?”
Hana tried to smile, “There you are… you silly girl….where have you been?”
“Just like Grandpa said. I fell in that well. But I'm okay, I wasn't hurt.”
Kagome leaned on the bed and softly told Akari's story, what she had seen and been a part of. The whole time Hana smiled and murmured responses.
“I met the most wonderful person” Kagome whispered. “Someone who loves me, and protects me. He has never let me down, nor hurt me.”
Kagome continued on till Hana held up her hand slightly,
“I'm sorry Akari…But I-I'm very tired. Can y…you finish telling me about your adventures…later?”
Kagome smiled through her tears, “No problem Grandma.”
She quickly walked back over to the door, “Mr. Young” she said softly.
“I think you might want to come in now.”
Ryan nodded and his family followed him into the room. Kagome started to leave but stopped when Hana suddenly cried out.
“Akari! Where have you gone! Why did you leave?”
Pain flashed across Ryan's face and he exchanged glances with Davis, who shrugged. Kagome softly cleared her throat, “She thinks I'm Akari.”
Ryan indicated to his mother, “Then please sit with her.”
Kagome nodded and took her chair by the bed again.
“It's okay Grandma. I'm not going anywhere.”
Hana visibly relaxed, “Thank you dear. I don't know what I would have done if I lost you again.”
Kagome squeezed her hand, “You don't have to worry about that Grandma. I'm happy now, and I don't want to go anywhere.”
Hana smiled and settled back into her pillow, “I'm glad dear.”
Kagome sat back so Hana's family could say their goodbyes, but never let go of the woman's hand.
“Akari” Hana whispered, “Please tell me one of you writings.”
Kagome smiled, “Anything for you Grandma.”
Ryan frowned in puzzlement, and Kagome just shook her head.
She closed her eyes and softly recited the one poem that had touched her so deeply she knew it left a mark on her soul.
“As I walk through this forest of black,”
Hana's eyes closed and her breathing hallowed.
“I wait for my rescuer, both a savoir and a condemner.
Shadow from hell, and light of the sun.
Many fear you, and many hate you.”
Kagome choked back a sob as she watched Hana's life slip away.
“But I shall do neither.
For you are my all.
Hope of my heart, and song that I will forever sing.”
Kagome closed her eyes as Hana's chest stopped moving and the line of the screen went flat.
“Only when the stars fall from the skies and the sun forgets to shine,
Will you stop being my breath, my blood, my soul.”
Kagome's shoulders shook as tears ran down her face and fell to the bed.
“You are my HeartSong.”
 
 
Kagome slowly walked down the hallway, tears streaming down her face. Once Hana had gone, she left the family to their grieving.
“Hey! Kagome wait up!”
Kagome wiped her tears as she turned around. Davis came to a halt in front of her.
“I wanted to thank you for doing that. Helping Grams feel better before she died, and not feel guilty about Akari….about Akari's disappearance.”
Kagome smiled, “It was nothing.”
“I do have a question though.”
“Yes?”
“How did you know that poem? Akari never shared her writings with anyone but me and sometimes Grams.”
“You've heard that one before?
“Yeah. She wrote it a few months before she came to Japan.”
She really did know. They were truly connected.”
“How did you know that poem?” Davis asked again.
Kagome sighed, “Please don't ask me questions I can't answer.”
“Can't or won't?”
Kagome reached into her back pocket and pulled out a square shaped charm.
“Akari's locket” Davis breathed.
Kagome took Davis' hand and pressed the silver to his palm.
“How did you get that?”
“Is it so hard for you to believe what your grandfather said?”
Kagome turned and walked away. At the door she stopped and looked over her shoulder, “Akari made a new life for herself, despite the hell she grew up in. Honor her memory, and just believe.”
 
Only when the stars fall from the skies and the sun forgets to shine;
Will you stop being my breath, my blood, my soul.
You are my HeartSong.
 
 
A/N: Thanks for reading this story and I hope you all enjoyed it.
PLEASE REVIEW
…how sad….last time I get to say that for this story….:'(