InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In The Beginning... ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In The Beginning…

By Oshidori

***DISCLAIMER***

Some of the characters featured in this fic are based on the brilliant works of Rumiko Takahashi and are clearly not mine. The rest are made up by li'l ol' me. So please, no law suits, I do it all as a tribute to the great Ms. Takahashi, and mean no disrespect.

*********

Chapter 1

It should have been a morning of great joy. It would be for any other woman. The first rose and salmon rays of the perfect morning sky had flooded the small hut, creating a brilliant glow that almost challenged the glow of the young mother. The only thing preventing it to outshine the sun's beams, was the dull throb of fear that nestled into her heart.

She had been asleep, and had seen him again. He spoke to her softly, in such a soothing tone that made her feel truly at peace and safe. She welcomed these dreams; it was impossible for a woman like her to find peace and safety in the waking world. In this world. She was upset at herself for not being able to enjoy this morning, of all mornings. She was almost upset at the world as well.

"No! I will not let my fear consume me! I will not be devoured by hatred and anger!" She thought, feeling very exhausted with the events of the previous night, and the weight on her mind. To calm herself, she thought back to him, he whom she loved but had never seen, or met. Her safe haven her mind had created for her, it seemed. But at times she fancied it to be real. She told no one of these dreams, for fear they might think that her mind was ill from the stress of her work. And she knew that the people needed her to make them feel safe. If there was doubt to her abilities, then what would become of the already fragile spirits that she was destined to take care of?

He had told her it was time; he had coaxed her awake. He held her face and looked deep into her eyes and told her not to fear what was to come.. He said that he would be watching. She could feel his eyes on her, she could feel them penetrate hers and look into her soul. But she could never actually see his face. In this dream, or any other before it.

When she awoke, she had felt the first of many pains in her abdomen. She had called out to her servant in a gruff voice, and announced to her that now was the time. The pain was great, and the hours were many, but all the while she remained as quiet as she could manage. She didn't want them to hear. She had picked a spot where she knew very few youkai passed. It was sacred ground, and she knew it would keep her safe enough to go through with the birth. But still, she was afraid to make a noise, and had her servant cover all the windows and the door with a thick cloth baring ofuda, or prayer scrolls, for fear that they might smell or sense what was happening too. At this point, she couldn't take any chances.

About an hour before dawn, her greatest creation had come into the world. Like her mother, she also made no sound, and her eyes were wide open, curious to her new surroundings. The exhausted mother had not really looked at her yet, as she was in deep thought over her worries of her future, and more importantly this child's future. Her servant quickly cut the baby girl's cord and cleaned her up, smiling in spite of their situation. Occasionally she glanced at the woman she had just assisted, nervous of the far-away look that seemed to have crept into the young woman's eyes. She had hoped for her mistress to be happy, happy for her to endure what every woman would endure in their lifetime; happy that for one night, this great equalizer had made her just a normal woman.

"My lady," the servant-girl ventured, "what are we to do now?' she had asked.

"It will be morning. Remove the cloth so that the sun may shine, and the newborn may see light."

"Does that mean we are safe now?"

"No. But the child should see light now. Let her know what it is now in her first hour of life; so that she can follow it throughout the rest of her life. Let her know what it is in her innocence, so that her innocence can be captured and reflected in it. Maybe if that is done, she will never come to realize darkness…"

Her words trailed off as she watched her servant do as she asked, meanwhile holding her child. She tried not to look directly at the child; trying her best to remain disconnected. She knew the moment she would look, her emotions would be like a dam breaking. She couldn't have that now, much like any other time of her life. She could not exhibit weakness. And if she fell into that, she couldn't think of what to do. And right now she really needed to think.

"Kei," she beckoned her servant, "You are my most trusted friend and confidante--" The girl turned to face her mistress with a weary but consoling look in her eyes.

"…and you have been of tremendous help to me," the young mother continued, "Throughout the time that we have been together."

Her voice then lowered to a cautious whisper.

"My friend, I ask of one more favor from you, one of the utmost importance and urgency. A dangerous task that may threaten your life."

The girl gazed upon her mistress unflinchingly, ready to help this good woman in any way she could. She owed her life to this woman; she was her mother, her sister, her best friend, her mistress. If it were not for her, she would have been consumed by a great oni that had terrorized the village she had grown up in. An oni that would come once a month for a child sacrifice, and once when satisfied would leave the village be until his appetite had returned for the human flesh again. At this time of war and despair, there were many children that were left orphaned and destitute by the ills of battle. It was these unfortunate children that were forced to their deaths by the frightened villagers, who disregarded the lives of the children for the sake of keeping their own.

And unfortunate for Kei, she had been chosen for the monthly sacrifice at that time. She had tried to run away and hide, but the men of the village had found her, and kept her from escaping what they had claimed to be her fate for the good of the people. She was afraid, understandably so. But she had hope. And her hope had prevailed.

At the hour of what was supposed to be Kei's death, a woman on an armored horse and a miko's garb had trotted down the road that the oni usually came from, with the terrible oni's head impaled on her kitana. As she road up on her steed, Kei stared at her, and in spite of the fact that this wonderous miko was covered in the blood of the evil thing, saw her to be the most beautiful woman she had ever beheld. In that one moment, her dreadful fate had been lifted, and a new path now lay before her. She knew at that moment that her path was to follow and serve this woman, this miko, that had saved her life.

With a solemn expression on her face, the beautiful miko had thrown down the head of the oni for all of the village to look upon, and in her quiet yet powerful voice that had silenced the shocked murmurs of the crowd , declared,

"This child is now free. Your village is free. Build a shrine for the souls of the children that have perished, and cleanse yourselves from the blood of the sacrificed children that is on your hands."

The villagers stared on, realizing the shame they had brought on themselves and had bowed their heads in silent agreement to their apparent weakness. The powerful miko then turned to face Kei.

"You will walk with me now. Release her from her binds and let her come to me."

* * * * *

Kei looked at this woman now, admiring her face still beautiful through her tragic expression, and determinedly replied,

"My lady, I would do anything for you. I owe my life to you, and will spend the rest of this life and the next to repay you."

The woman smiled weakly to show her gratitude at this declaration as best she could. She looked directly into the servant-girl's eyes, peering into her soul.

"Kei, I need you to take my daughter. With me, her life will be in much more danger than it needs to be. If she is with you, and raised as a normal child, then maybe she will be safe. If anything, it will buy me the precious time I need to come up with a plan to ensure her safety. Will you do that for me Kei? Will you raise my daughter if she were your own?"

Kei looked down at the small sleeping bundle in her arms, and saw that she was as beautiful as her mother. The rays from the morning sun had intensified, and had been steadily brightening on the child's face, setting it all aglow. But to Kei, the child, not the sun, seemed to be radiating the light.

Kei looked up to her mistress and smiled.

"This is the greatest honor you bestow upon me, my lady. I swear on the souls of my parents that I will keep this child safe, and love her as if she were my own, for as long as you need me to." Kei looked down on the child again and caressed her sleeping face.

"She is a special child, isn't she?" Kei asked.

"Yes. She is the key to our future. She is our bright light. She is our hope."

"Kei pulled her loving gaze away from the child, and peered into the eyes of her mistress once again, timidly.

"Would you like to hold her now, my lady?"

The miko smiled again weakly, this time with more sadness in her smile. A wave of hesitation passed over her face, and then she let out a small sigh.

"Yes. I would like to see her."

Kei walked over to the young mother and knelt beside her futon, presenting her with her child. The woman stared at the child for a moment, seeming to take her all in; to memorize her face. She then took the child from Kei's outstretched arms, never breaking her gaze from the infants face. Then, without a sound, the dam welling up inside her had finally broken, and the tears flowed from the miko's eyes. Tears of pain and sadness, but at the same time joy for what she held, for this miracle of life. For now her hope was a tangible thing, this beautiful infant girl she now clutched to her bosom with desperation. She kissed the child's forehead, uttering blessings too faint for Kei to even make out. She held the infant like that for a few moments longer before she raised her head to look at Kei, her eyes wide and childlike, eyes glassy with the still flowing and ever silent stream of bitter tears. Kei was in awe that even in her intense pain, this woman remained as strong as ever. But then again, this was no normal woman, she reminded herself.

"We will rest now, and in the evening we shall part ways. If you need me, I will find you, wherever you are. I will give you and my daughter prayer beads to provide you with some protection. Do not leave safety to find me."

Her voice was powerful, and had not cracked once as she spoke, despite her tears. Kei nodded her head in silent understanding. The mother looked down at her daughter once again, and began to caress her head.

"My daughter, know that your mother loves you, and will give her life to keep you from harm. My beautiful child, my light." She paused in thought for a moment.

"I will name you Akiko, child of light and hope."

The miko smiled at that, and began to relax a little, feeling sleep begin to overpower her. She silently prayed that she would dream again, that he would come back to her and she could show him her baby. Their baby. He would tell her all would be well, and that the child would be safe. He would comfort her, and she could trust in his words. She had the slightest hint of a relieved smile as she slowly descended into the dream realm.

Kei watched her mistress as she fell asleep with the child in her arms, catching the relieved smile on her face as she did so. Kei leaned back on her heels, feeling a little better at the woman's expression. She thought back to her promise and looked at the baby girl, determined to fulfill it as best she could, and more. She moved her hand to brush the hair lovingly away from the young woman's face, a little sad at the thought that she may never see her again after today. She sighed at this, and pushed the thought away, concentrating on the duty at hand instead.

"I will keep her safe, and she will fulfill her destiny. I promise you that."

Kei bent over and kissed her mistress' forehead.

"Rest well, lady Midoriko."