InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In The Most Innocent Of Places ❯ Always on the New Moon ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Konnichi-wa, minna-san! I unfortunately do not own Inu and the others. However I do own my little Usagi-youkai that will be appearing (usagi=bunny in Japanese). This story will be semi-AU, for I will be inventing histories of my own that will go along with Rumiko's storyline. I've been formulating this fic for a little while now, and I've got big plans for it. So I need you people to tell me if you think it's going anywhere. Enough babbling, onto the story!!

***

"Geez, Kagome isn't it ready yet?" whined Inuyasha, looming over her shoulder.

"Inuyasha, sometimes you have to be patient. Cup-Men takes a few minutes to make, so be quiet," she scolded.

"I guess people from your time don't know how to make food properly," he grunted, settling into an Indian-style sitting position next to Kagome.

"Inuyasha," Shippo sighed. "Your voice is so annoying."

Jumping up, Inuyasha shouted, waving his chopsticks in the air. "What did you just say you little brat? I swear I'll box your ears!"

He charged at the little fox demon with his chopsticks brandished high. Shippo cringed back in dread, but Inuyasha's movements were halted by a loud, commanding "Osuwari!" In an instant, the hanyou did a face-plant into the grass with a grunt of pain. Kagome smirked then continued to prepare lunches for everyone.

Shippo breathed a sigh of relief and resumed sucking on his raspberry sucker. Leaning against a great tree, he looked out over the green expanse of the countryside. A stream flowed peacefully not far from where he sat; its gentle sounds in the silence of the late afternoon calmed him and soothed away any worries that he had had. Since tonight was the new moon, the group had to take it easy, and he gladly welcomed the rest.

Inuyasha got up and stomped back next to Kagome. He sat down, grumbling and sulking. "You know one of these days you're going to break my nose or something with that damn `Osuwari' shit."

"Oh well, maybe it'll make an improvement to your face," she replied mockingly. She smiled innocently at his shocked expression. "Here's your Cup-Men."

"You don't like my face the way it is?" he inquired with a hint of offense, taking his Cup-Men.

"Hey! Kagome-chan, we're back!" called Sango, who was walking with Miroku over the field. Upon reaching the rest of the group they took seats opposite of Kagome and Inuyasha.

"You guys have perfect timing! Lunch just finished," Kagome informed them.

"Deny sfign dof Nureko?" Inuyasha questioned through a mouthful of noodles.

"Inuyasha, don't talk with your mouth full!" Kagome reprimanded.

Laughing, Sango replied, "No, we couldn't find any trace of Naraku, so you should be able to sleep sound tonight."

"I did, however, feel the presence of something rather odd. I can't quite place my finger on it though," Miroku spoke up.

"Did it feel evil?" Kagome asked concernedly.

"No, not at all. There was just a strong atmosphere of something unusual. We only need to keep watch for something out of the ordinary."

"Oh thanks Miroku," Shippo snorted. "You don't find any sign of Naraku, so you're going to give us the heebie-jeebies instead."

"No Shippo, if he wanted to do that," Inuyasha taunted, "he'd tell you that a huge ax-bearing youkai is going to creep into your tent tonight and chop off your-"

Kagome glared at him. "Inuyasha…"

"Eh…" he smiled sheepishly.

A sudden scream from over the hill broke the light mood. Inuyasha jumped up, ears twitching, and sniffed the air. A low growl escaped from within his chest.

Miroku turned his gaze to him. "What is it, Inuyasha?"

A scowl crossed his face. "I can smell the sickening scent of wolf in the air."

"Kouga?"

But Miroku's query was lost to the wind, for Inuyasha had already unsheathed Tetsaiga and was sprinting across the vast field toward the source of the scream.

"I've got a bad feeling about this," Kagome muttered as she started after Inuyasha.

As Shippo followed he murmured, "So much for taking it easy today."

***

The group snuck up upon a small clearing enclosed with tress and hid within the underbrush to witness the incident. Kouga and his companions stood within a ring of wolves, and there appeared to be some tiny youkai in the center of them. From their vantage point, Kagome and the others could not see what kind of youkai it was. The drone of the growling wolves blended with the snickering of Kouga's lackeys; the youkai's pitiful whimpering could barely be heard.

The sound of Kouga's haughty laugh suddenly broke through the clamor of the clearing. Everyone grew silent as he calmly approached the cowering youkai. Slowly, he knelt down, deliberately trying to be intimidating. He glared at the youkai, then, breathing heavily, he spoke vehemently.

"Now, for the last time, I'm going to ask you to hand it over to me, or you will see me very angry."

The youkai folded its knees to its chest in an attempt of self-defense, and replied in a soft, trembling voice, "I… I don't know what it is that you want."

Kouga clenched his fists and leaped to his feat in fury, his eyes ablaze with malice. Around him the wolves howled and barked, closing in steadily. Kouga, seething with rage, mercilessly struck the tiny demon.

With every blow, Kagome winced and her heart wrenched for the poor youkai. Tears stung at her eyes and she wished for nothing else but to stop the horrible beating. Beside her, she could sense Inuyasha's muscles tense. A low growl rumbled in his throat.

"Kouga," he venomously snarled. "I'm going to rip your fucking throat out." And before Kagome knew it, he had sprung from their cover and was bounding across the clearing toward the wolf tribe.

Kouga had sensed him coming and abruptly stopped his assault. He pompously turned to confront Inuyasha. Smirking, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Well, well, well, if it isn't Inuyasha to the rescue. Still waving around that sword for such useless purposes I see."

Inuyasha sneered. "I hardly think slicing you to pieces is a useless purpose."

Kouga laughed in his condescending manner, scoffing at Inuyasha. "And you're still as hotheaded as ever. You'll never change, you damn hanyou."

That word. Inuyasha despised that word, and it rolled off of Kouga's tongue with such spite that it pierced through him like the blade of any sword. He had forgotten that Kouga knew his secret and now he hung it mockingly over Inuyasha's head.

Inuyasha clenched his hands around Tetsaiga's hilt, and his blood pounded through his veins as his anger rose. "Face me, and we'll settle this, you bastard," he menacingly hissed.

"Face you? I'd really rather not waste my time," he derided. "I simply came here to acquire something, and now you're in my way."

Kagome had made her way to the crowd and stood a few feet behind Inuyasha, the others followed closely after. Kouga was the only thing that remained between them and the tiny youkai. His companions and wolves were at attention around them, awaiting Kouga's order and at the same time, fearing Inuyasha.

"Kouga-kun!" Kagome called out to him. "Why are you doing this?"

He turned his gaze on her. "Ah, Kagome-chan! A question for you: Why are you still with this lowly hanyou?"

Inuyasha growled openly. "You asshole."

"Inuyasha, no. Don't," Kagome ordered. She studied Kouga's face; there was an emotion in his eyes that she had never seen before. It danced in his eyes, a wild and unrestrained emotion. He was not acting like himself. Kouga would never be this heartless, would he?

Realizing that he and his companions could not defeat Inuyasha, Kouga made the decision to keep his pride intact. "This place reeks of your stench, hanyou. We'll postpone this for another time, shall we?"

"But Kouga," one of his followers spoke up, "what about the-"

"Forget it!" he snapped. "We'll get it some other time. Farewell Kagome-chan!" And with that sped off with the speed of his Shikon shards, leaving his companions to lag behind.

Inuyasha returned Tetsaiga to its sheath, while the others rushed to the crumpled form of the rescued youkai. Upon reaching it, they found Kouga had knocked it unconscious in his horrible beating. Kagome gently lifted its tiny body into her arms, and she could see now that it was a female Usagi-youkai. Her soft grey ears that matched her furry feet, brushed against Kagome's arm. She made a futile attempt to straighten the purple tie around the middle of the usagi's yellow dress, which was now covered in dirt and blood.

"The poor thing," Sango sighed, caressing the youkai's dirty face.

"It's a wonder that she survived at all," Miroku murmured, examining the many wounds showing.

"I just wonder what in the world could have made Kouga do that," Kagome stated, still in shock. "He seemed wild, and his eyes glowed with some horrible craze."

Shippo padded tentatively to where Kagome sat with the youkai in her arms. He looked at the usagi with sad eyes, and took her small hand in his; they fit together perfectly.

Inuyasha stood detached, staring as the sun lowered itself beyond the horizon. In the opposite direction, the sky grew dark, but no sliver of moon rose in the sky. He was already beginning to feel weaker. Finally words escaped his mouth. "Come on," he ordered in a low, but calm voice. "We have to find shelter, it's almost sun down. We don't want to be caught out here defenseless."

Kagome and the others got up and followed Inuyasha in the direction of the camp they had set up earlier that day. Inuyasha walked warily, his senses piqued. The wind was particularly still and the birds eerily quiet. He strained to perceive deeper into the thick silence, but already his demon powers were leaving him. However, he didn't need his powers to know that there was something suspicious in the night air.

***

What is this conspicuous thing that Inuyasha speaks of? Well I can't tell you! That'd ruin the next chapter. ^-^

Was it good, bad, the ugly? I'd love to hear from you! *subtle hinting* Well, the good thing is, I've only got two days of school this week, so I'll be able to update very soon. And I've already got ideas running through my mind for the next chapter.

O-yasumi nasai, minna-san.