InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter VIII ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter VIII
 
A dark aura hovered in the throne room of Blackheart Castle, after Kane conquered the Royal City Lockhart he decreed the city was to be known as Blackheart, anyone calling the City, Lockhart shall be charged as a traitor and pushed under penalty of torture.
Kane sat hunched over in his throne, resting his mouth on his intertwined fingers, his elbows resting on the armrests, silently furious, plotting his vengeance against Kagome for when the wrench is returned to him. He will capture Kagome again that was certain but what to do with her once he had her in his clutches again, was the dilemma.
 
Kane met with the Emperor of the Jade Kingdom, in a mutual location for the Trade agreement, he was surprised at how eager the Emperor was to join in a Slave Trade Agreement with him, apparently he heard how his trading agreements brought amazing wealth to the Kingdom, it had turned the Yin Kingdom from one of the poorest Kingdom's into the one of the richest almost overnight. For a long time escaped slaves would use the Jade Kingdom has a safe heaven, under the rule of the old Emperor of the Jade Kingdom the slaves were given sanctuary, but six weeks ago the former Emperor was mysteriously poisoned and his successor was his over zealous son who saw the escaped slaves as filth and should be returned to the masters that bought them.
 
When Kane returned home earlier then expected, he went to Kagome's prison to persuade her to predict the outcome of the Jade Kingdom joining his growing Empire, and if they would provide an important role in Kane's plan. His plan was risky if it failed he would surely be executed, but he had two aces in his pocket, the Legendary Shape-Shifter Kagome, and the Spirit Elves, as long as Kane kept the prison where their children were held secret, he knew they would never revolt against him. It was quite an ingenious location, ten miles off of Blackheart City coast was a small tree covered island always hidden in the fog, in the centre of the island was a large mountain, where King Seth commissioned a prison to be build in side the mountain cave; it took one hundred slaves working for two years to carve all the prison from the rock. The elf children imprisoned there continue to carve buildings for the children continuing to arrive. King Seth and the King's after him ensured the location of the prison was kept hidden only known to the King's most trusted General's, the only ships who could dock on the island safely had to ring out a special bell ring; if any ship didn't ring that tone, soldiers on the island would swarm the ship kill everyone, plunder the previsions then set it on fire and let it float out to sea and sink to the dark depths. Eventually rumors started to circle around Lockhart and all over Mika, that the island was cursed. When Kane first took Lockhart Castle he was able to torture the location of the island out of a general even though he was asking where the Prince Tristan would have run too.
 
Kane gazed out to the harbor, in three short years Kane has managed to rebuild the fallen capitol to a city better then before, due to the high flow of Slave Traders doing their business here. Blackheart City was the safest place for the traders to set up shop, sense in the towns and small cities that scattered across Mika, Kane had only deployed small regiments of his troops to guard them, the Lord's of the towns would often have to hire guards or offer Bonded Freedom to strong slaves to work in the guards. The Lord's could easily force them to work as a guard but slave trading shops in smaller towns were often attacked by the resistance. The slave guards would let the resistance rescue the other slaves and themselves, but with the guards in Bonded Freedom lessened the chances the guards would follow the resistance and escape or allow them to rescue the other slaves. A common outcome with slaves who've had their freedom taken from them, to suddenly gain a small amount they become greedy and don't want to risk escape, if they are recaptured they will be brutally tortured and resold, maybe in twenty or thirty years they might be considered for Bonded Freedom again.
 
Unlike demons, humans weren't given a Mark of Subjugation; they were merely branded with the Crest of their master by the Spirit Elves. Compared to demons, humans were disposable; weaker and faster aging, human slaves were often sold to poor families or to blacksmiths for the most dangerous work.
 
Kane momentary feeling of contentment faded when he looked over to the tower that once imprisoned Kagome, her escape was a mockery of his rule, if he couldn't keep is own slave under control then the people of Mika would lose fear of him, and a rebellion would ultimately ensue. But that didn't matter he knew the people would always fear him, he holds their lives in his hands and he could take it away with a snap of his fingers. The reward he put on her head was a risky move but a necessary one; some bounty hunter might bring her back dead, and she'd be no good to him then or worse figure out what she was and sell her to another Kingdom for a higher price. But if Kane allowed three other slaves to escape, and then put rewards almost as high as Kagome's then a bounty hunter won't realize what she truly was and just assume that she was his favorite slave.
 
“Andrius, I want you to arrange for three slaves to escape from my castle tonight.” He glanced over at Andrius, standing over in a shadowy corner, Andrius bowed to Kane and left silently. Andrius was a tall dark haired man, his hang hung just past his ears and slightly curly; his skin was tanned dark from years of working in the hot sun as a slave. twelve years ago before Kane invaded Mika, when Andrius was nineteen Kane had invaded his village and killed his parents, and captured him and his sister Niele who was sixteen at the time.
 
Andrius was forced into slavery for Kane himself who was the Bandit Lord; as King of the Bandits, Kane started to train his men as soldiers and ransacked villages killing the old and enslaving the rest, most he sold but Andrius and Niele he kept for himself. Andrius worked outside all day under a horrible slave master and Niele worked in Kane's home, cooking and cleaning, many times Andrius wanted to escape but he couldn't leave his sister alone with Kane. One night after a day of drinking and pillaging five of Kane's trained Bandit Soldiers tried to force themselves on Niele. Andrius heard her cries for help and rushed to save her, when he found her pinned down by these monsters; he did want any loving brother would do; he lunged at them and killed them all defending Niele as she held up her torn clothes huddled in a corner. Though for his act of bravery in defending his helpless sister Andrius was beaten terribly and nearly died from infection. But Kane was impressed by his swordsmanship, so much that he offered him a deal. If he would join his growing army and help him conquer Mika as a Commander to lead his men into battle then Kane would give Niele Bonded Freedom and she'll be a servant and she'll be protected by Kane and none of his men will be able to harm her. Backed into a corner and desperate to protect his sister, Andrius accepted, even though Kane only offered Niele, Bonded Freedom, only when Kane was defeated would Andrius taste freedom, but even then he'll probably be executed for his role in Kane's army either way it was a lose, lose situation for him. But he promised himself on the day Niele was born he would protect her no matter the cost, and he could experience some kind of freedom threw his sister, as long as she was happy.
 
Kane smiled as the sunset over the White Sea, it was amazingly beautiful at sunset its dark blue waters turned the purest white at sunset, its how the ocean got its name. People say at sunset when the waters turn white is the when the spirits of the people who died on that day ascend to heaven. Kane knew Andrius would never betray him as long as Niele worked in his castle Andrius would never dare escape, because he made it clear the day they made the deal that if Andrius betray him or tried to escape his beloved sister would pay the price. Kane went about his normal routine waiting for his guards to inform him of the escape shortly after he retired for the night, the caption of the prison guard banged on his door.
 
“What do you want?” Kane growled trying to act like he didn't know why he was there.
 
“Forgive me sir, but three slaves have escaped.” Said the Caption, Kane rubbed his forehead annoyed, lowly growling in the back of his throat.
 
“You woke me for this? What do we do when slaves escape Caption?” asked Kane mockingly.
 
“Um... Make a reward and send out guards to find them.” Answered the Caption unsure,
 
“Very good Caption, so what are you waiting for!” Kane yelled, the Caption nodded and ran down the hall; Kane smiled as he closed the door everything was falling perfectly into place, make the reward on the other slaves high enough and the bounty hunters won't figure out Kagome's importance. Now she won't be able to hide with such a high price on her head the people are poor and one thing that could always be counted on was a person's greed. Kane was willing to pay or do anything to get her back, without her predictions the resistance might have won a long time ago.
 
*~~~*
 
Two days later
 
Kagome and InuYasha stayed with the Spirit Elves until Kagome could recover her strength, no one in the village figured out Kagome was the Shape-Shifter, and for the most part Kagome and InuYasha stayed to themselves Kagome's strength was weakened, exerting her self so much was exhausting for her, and she might not regain the full use of her powers for another two days. But even with her powers weakened, and not being able to sense if there was treachery in the hearts of the Spirit Elves, Kagome felt safe with them but not everything it what it seems.
 
“When will your powers come back Kagome, it's never taken this long before?” wined InuYasha, he hated it here, he didn't trust the Elves no matter what Gabriel said. The humans holding the Elf children hostage was too convenient for him; and it only gave them more motive to betray Kagome and hand her back over to Kane if he released their kids.
 
“I know its taking longer for me to recover but it doesn't help me, draining it all the time.” Kagome snapped back annoyed for the last two days every question InuYasha had asked her was when she would be ready to go.
 
“Hey, I didn't ask you to use it up, You did that on your own, I could handled that rider just fine without you interfering and getting us in the mess, you stupid woman.” Argued InuYasha, Kagome was at her braking point; she liked him more when he didn't talk back to her like this.
 
“InuYasha,” She growled. “Sit Boy,” she said and InuYasha slammed face flat into the ground; Kagome was shocked she did want him to stop talking and this punishment did work to her advantage.
 
“What was that for?” InuYasha demanded lifting his bruised dirty face from the ground.
 
“You're such a jerk InuYasha!” yelled Kagome storming off
 
“Women,” grumbled InuYasha,
 
*~~~*
 
On the edge of the Cursed Forest two cloaked figures waited for their weekly shipment of rations, of stale bread, fatty meat, milk and cheese; not sense King Odin had the Spirit Elves eaten a dissent meal. Instead of Fairy tales of a brave knight's adventures; Elf children were told bedtime stories of the Days when the Spirit Elves were a free and mighty people. Before King Seth the Spirit Elves lived free, content in their sacred duty in watching over the Spirit Forest, ensuring Lost Souls gain peace and pass on into the after life. But sense King Seth forced them into bondage; they can not put all their attention into their ancestral duty, as they once did. And in doing so has let the most restless of Spirit's remain wondering, eternally searching for peace. And with Kane conquering Mika hundreds of Restless Spirits wonder threw Mika, some don't even know they are dead, they continue to try and interact with their family and friends, most that do know they're dead have gone insane and turned into Evil Spirits praying on the living, existing only to frighten the weak and feed of their fear.
 
“Here it comes, another week of tasteless bread and cheese.” Complained a slender figure, she was nearly four-feet shorter then her companion, who was over six-feet in height and much more masculine in build. It was obvious by the delicate and feminine features the figure was a woman, her once long soft blonde hair almost white with grief.
 
“Quit Crina, you don't want them to hear you do you?” snapped her companion Edwin, Crina opened her mouth to protest but snapped it shut and remained silent. Two human guards pulled up in the single horse cart, they didn't even acknowledge them. The younger of the two stepped out and threw the sacks of food to the ground. As the elves gathered them up Crina noticed at wanted poster on the side of the cart, it was a poster of the woman staying in the Village, Kagome was her name. Kane was offering such a high reward for her safe return, there were three others along with her two had been crossed out but Kagome's reward was the highest.
 
“Lord Kane is offering a high reward for such a simple woman?” asked Crina meekly never raising her gaze to meet the guards, the Spirit Elves never conversed with the guards it was the elves way of keeping their pride, whatever little remained. The older guard looked down at Crina and snorted in disgust that an Elf would try and speak with him; but he had direct orders from Kane that anyone inquiring about Kagome was to be taken into interest, anyone who didn't would be docked two weeks pay.
 
“She escaped the castle, and was last spotted in this area by a bounty-hunter several days ago.” Said the guard refusing to look down at Crina again,
 
“She must be worth quite a lot to him.” The Guard looked down at Crina this time, he surmised that she knew where Kagome was and was playing coy trying to find out what she could gain out of this.
 
“I'm sure Lord Kane would be willing to give a great deal for the woman's return.” He commented
 
“Hypothetically speaking, if we were to know where this woman was would he give us back our children?” asked Crina, Edwin looked over at her in disbelief she would give up this woman so easily but said nothing.
 
“I can not say, that would be up to Lord Kane, but I could arrange for him to meet you, and discus this matter.”
 
“That would be acceptable.”
 
“Return here tomorrow at sundown, Lord Kane will meet you.” The Guard released a carrier pigeon, with the information, then continued on his rounds. After the Guards were clear out of hearing range Crina's companion pulled her arm and forced her to look at him.
 
“What were you thinking Crina?” Edwin demanded
 
“I don't know about you Edwin, but I want my babies back, only God knows what's happening to them right now. Why do we have to protect these runaways? And if you could stop something terrible that's happening to your daughter's wouldn't you do anything and everything to help them? This stupid pledge to help runaways is Gabriel's, I never agreed to it. But I have to stand by and let opportunities to help my children slip-buy. Well I'm not standing buy anymore, and if you ever want to see your daughter's again you'll come with me to meet Kane.” Crina pulled her arm from Edwin's loosened grip, Crina loaded the sacks of food on the old brown mare they brought with them, she started back to the village with haste hoping for sundown to come soon; Edwin hesitated to follow her as she led the horse back to the village, but what she said was true why should he have to let his children suffer because of guilt that isn't their own. Pushing his moral qualms aside and feeding off the yearning to see his children again Edwin followed Crina.
 
*~~~*
 
Kane was enjoying a delicious meal, smoked pork, with roasted potatoes, and corn on the cob. A very wonderful meal, a meal that was spiced with the sweet taste of victory, two of the escaped slaves had already been turned in it was only a matter of time before Kagome would be returned to him; her bounty was the highest of them all.
 
“I message has arrived for you sir.” Said a slave girl leaving the letter by his plate, Kane smugly read the message then ordered the girl to fetch Finn, Leader of the Huntsmen and Andrius. Kane hadn't bothered send the Huntsmen after Kagome, the less he did too guarantee her return the, less she looked to greedy Bounty Hunters. Finn was a handsome man, he didn't appear to be any different from any other man but that's what made him so dangerous, no one would suspect him.
 
“You called?” asked Finn, all of the servant women in the castle were in love with Finn, his devilishly good looks, steal blue eyes and short dark hair; all the women wanted him, even the married women.
 
“Two of the Spirit Elves of the Cursed Forest, believe they know where Kagome is; they are willing to tell us for the reward and the release of their children. Andrius do you know anything about this Edwin and Crina of that Village?” asked Kane, Kane sat at the head of the table while Andrius and Finn sat of either side of him. Andrius snapped his fingers and a skinny teenaged boy pulled out a red leather book out of a bag and handed it to Andrius, he unlocked the gold clasps holding it shut, he flipped threw the heavy papyrus pages until he found the page he was looking for, this book was a log of every Spirit Elf in all of Mika, and the dates of when a Elf child was taken from its family.
 
“Edwin has two daughters, twelve and nine the eldest was taken four years ago and the other two years ago. Crina has a son eleven, taken seven years ago and a daughter eight, taken five years ago. Both elves have good reason to give up Kagome; also we think the Elves are helping the resistance in someway, and if you give Crina and Edwin their children in exchange for Kagome it might encourage the others to give up the resistance members if it means getting their kids back.” Explained Andrius as he handed the book back to the servant boy, Kane rubbed his chin, he options were limited if he started going around giving back their kids he could have a revolution on his hands but if he didn't then he might not get another chance to get Kagome back before the resistance finds her.
 
“But I can't ensure the Elves would continue to make the Marks of Subjugation if I give the kids back.” Said Kane,
 
“Perhaps sir, you could continue to take the children like before but this could be a way for them to earn back their children.” Finn's voice was elegant, and deep, a heavenly song to the women of the castle.
 
“That could work as long as I don't let too many of the children go, but remind me to ensure I recapture all the children after the resistance is destroyed. Finn go to the Island and take Edwin's and Crina's children and return them, but if Kagome is not where they clam to be; return to the village and take all the children and for the two elves break their legs and leave them to the animals but make sure no wondering traveler is going to find them before they die. And Andrius round up three peasants and execute them along with the two resistance soldiers. I can't have my image begin to look soft now can I?” Kane asked Finn, but he didn't respond only raising an eye brow.
 
“What of the other two resistance members my Lord?” asked Andrius
 
“Oh yes, Keep them around for a little longer I'm rather enjoying torturing them in the morning.” Smiled Kane, the two men bowed to Kane and started to leave
 
“Oh and Finn, make sure Kagome returns alive, but teach her a lesson at the Black Forest Prison before you bring her back.” Finn bowed his head to Kane acknowledging his orders. Kane handed Finn ten containers of his blood, one for each of Finn's men as long as they kept the blood on their persons Kagome wont be able to sense their intentions, even if their only a few feet from her. The Huntsmen mounted ten of Kane's green dragons, marvelous creatures the green Dragons fearsome, strong, with amazing speed, they are the fastest fliers; Kane's favorite past time was racing them, he holds annual tournaments the winner receives 1000 gold pieces and a month free at the Golden Lotus, the best brothel in Blackheart City.
 
*~~~*
 
While Kane enjoyed the execution of three innocent people, Kagome and InuYasha were making their way out of the Cursed Forest; armed with a map from the Spirit Elves the duo should hopefully be able to make it out past the canyon before sundown, thirty foot mountains on either side, with smooth rock faces, impossible to climb perfect place for an ambush. InuYasha didn't want to have to push Kagome all night with out sleep, though she told him she was fine, he could see the exhaustion in her eyes.
 
It was mid-day as Kagome eyed the entrance to Snake Canyon anxiously named for its curved path and its smooth rock face; it would take them nearly an entire day just to reach the other side, Kagome didn't like this place, it felt like the tall rock sides were watching her, waiting to spring a trap, but Kagome told herself it was the years she spent in the tower, and they were only rock's they couldn't hurt her.
 
*~~~*
 
On the outskirts of the Cursed Forest Crina and Edwin waited for Kane to arrive, Edwin couldn't stop rubbing his hands, he was so excited to see his daughters again and worried that Kagome might not be where they expected, if she wasn't they would be executed for sure. In the distance Crina saw ten dragons in the evening sky, Crina reminded herself to breathe and keep calm as the emerald green dragons landed, Crina and Edwin saw recognized their children immediately, Edwin's daughter Morgan, was a teenager nearly sixteen, she had her father's hair, long sandy brown hair kept in a messy braid, she wore a tattered tan dress, she was bruised and covered in scrapes, and his little Maya had grown so much, her once long black hair was cut short, she wore a dirty and tattered red dress. Both girls squirmed their ways out of the Huntsmen's grip and ran to their father's open arms. Crina watched as Huntsmen pulled her son Adrian off the dragon, he was such a strapping young man, tall, handsome with shoulder length light blonde hair kept in a ponytail, he wore a old blue tunic ripped and dirty with tattered brown pants, Her young daughter Gabriela was pushed next to him, like Maya her light brown hair was cut short she wore a old dirty red dress. Crina couldn't hold back her tears when she laid eyes on her children. Gabriela stomped on the Huntsmen foot and ran to her mother, but Adrian was more self-disciplined he didn't want to let the Huntsmen see his happiness in being reunited with his mother after seven long years. Finn walked up to Crina, she got up to meet his eyes pushed Gabriela behind her; she swallowed hard at as Finn stared at her with his steel eyes.
 
“We held up are end of the bargain, tell us where the girl is?” Demanded Finn, his voice was emotionless, chilling, Crina swallowed her fear as she handed him a map, opening the map and evil grin crossed his lips
 
“They entered Snake Canyon at mid-day, they'll be in this canyon until morning if they walk all night, but the girl is weak she wont be able to walk all night, they'll need to rest, if you want to take the girl this is your bet chance.” Finn narrowed his eyes at Crina.
 
“If you're lying slave, I promise you, you'll regret it.” Said Finn, Crina and Edwin swallowed hard, they watched the Huntsmen mount their dragons; Finn threw a large bag of gold to the ground before taking off.
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome and InuYasha sat watching the snapping flames of their small fire; they were no where near the exit to the canyon. Traveling threw this was a dangerous move; it was the perfect place for an ambush. InuYasha didn't want to stop but Kagome couldn't be pushed any more without rest, Gabriel explained that sense Kagome hadn't used her abilities in so long and being kept in that prison weakened her strength. InuYasha had heard about it before in the elves of the Spirit Forest; they hadn't used their powers enough in the past three years, except to do Kane's bidding that their connection with the Spirit World had weakened. As Kagome and InuYasha enjoyed the fire; unknown to them the legendary Huntsmen closed in. Hunting for the mythical Shape-Shifter disguised so discreetly in the form of a young woman; the woman who could bring a thousand years of peace or plunge the world into eternal darkness. Personally Finn didn't care which way it ended up. He and his men worked for whom ever paid them most, though he would prefer the Darkness. People like the Huntsmen wouldn't be needed in a time of peace, and a life without purpose isn't much of a life. In the distance Finn noticed the smoke of a campfire in Snake Canyon, just where the elves said they would be; Finn licked his dry lips tasting the sweet sense of battle and anticipation of battle that hung in the night air.
 
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome stared into the dying fire, the orange light gave a romantic feel to everything, InuYasha was returning from gathering more firewood, the orange glow cast its warm light over his face, the tuff expression and pain filled eyes were gone. Kagome felt the blood rush to her face as she watched him; InuYasha looked so handsome, for the first time sense she bought him, Kagome saw the boy she played with in the Dark Forest grown into a man. A spark of hope gleamed in his eyes, Kagome found herself lost in their golden depths; the golden bliss she loved to gaze into as a child. The eyes she fell in love with when she first saw them and dreamt about her entire life. The reason she honed her transformation skills, and trained herself in archery. All of it, was for the chance to see those eyes again, have them look into her soul as they did now. Kagome was yanked from her bliss when the sticks crashed into the ground. Kagome reached for a stick as InuYasha did and for a moment their hands touched, InuYasha looked up into Kagome's deep brown eyes as she stared into his. Her touch was so warm and comforting the deep scars of his past drifted away as he was pulled deeper into Kagome's loving-gaze. Slowly without realizing InuYasha knelt down never releasing her touch; slowly Kagome and InuYasha leaned closer, her scent was so amazing InuYasha didn't know why he didn't realize it before. Closer and closer they inched nearer to each-other. Thought and reason gone, living in the moment of pure instinct. Neither cared about what the world considered right or wrong; love was pure it didn't care if InuYasha was a half-demon or that Kagome was an Oracle, both knew in their hearts this feeling was pure, it was right and the world be damned. Only inches away from Kagome's lips InuYasha held her soft face in his ruff hand, Kagome's senses screamed with pleasure; so close InuYasha could feel her soft breath on his skin. This was it this is what InuYasha has been waiting for, his protectiveness for her, his odd actions, he loved her and now he knew she loved him one look into her eyes told him, that emotion couldn't be mistaken.
 
“InuYasha…” Whispered Kagome lovingly, InuYasha pushed her head back slightly and placing a finger on her lips he knew what she was going to say, agonizingly slowly InuYasha moved in…
 
End Chapter.
 
What will happen next, will InuYasha show his true feelings for Kagome? Or will something stop them? read the next chapter of In the Shadow of Destiny to find out.