InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter XI ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry about the long wait I'm suffering from a bit of writers block at the moment, but I think I'm threw the trenches.
In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter XI
 
 
 
“Kane you spineless coward; free me and fight me like a true warrior!” Shouted Tristan, Kane slowly walked over to the bound prince, he looked him dead in the eye and smiled a twisted evil grin. And punched him in the jaw, Tristan fell to the ground and wiping his bleeding split lip.
“I should gut you like a pig, for your insolence boy. Don't forget your talking to the King of all Mika.” Said Kane in a proud arrogant tone, Tristan smiled triumphantly and spit on Kane's feet.
“You're no King; you're nothing but an imposter with a sword. As long as the innocent blood of Mika's people stains your hands you'll never be King.” Kane's eyes burned with hatred, he raised his sword above his head to strike Tristan down. But the blow never came instead Kane's sheathed his sword and snapped his fingers; two guards began violently beating Tristan.
“I may not be King by blood, but in a matter of moments you'll be the only Prince of Lockhart left, so it won't matter.” Boasted Kane, “Leave him, make sure he watches the remainder of his family die.” The two guards lifted Tristan up by his arms, and clutching his hair forced to stare at the gallows, the guards put hoods over Arren and Anthony heads, Arren stood like a proud royal but Anthony fought against his guards and managed to push them over the back of stage but a few moments later a slouched and subdued Anthony was dragged back up. The Death Drums beat in Kagome's ears and her heart stopped from agony, she couldn't bear to watch her love die. But when the Drums stopped her eyes shot open, just in time to see his beautiful body fall, and then suddenly stop by the noose. His feet kicked violently and body twisted desperately fighting for air.
“InuYasha...” Kagome Screamed, then suddenly a raw surge of power erupted from Kagome, an invisible forced pushed everything away from her, Kane looked on pure shock written in his expression. Kagome was pulsing and a fearsome wind was emanating from her. Suddenly, Kagome felt the change surge of power inside her; and before she knew what happened a massive emerald green dragon stood. Her roar shook the castle; she swung her mighty tail, destroying the gallows just in time to save everyone. Kagome's wild and angry dragon eyes stared down at Kane gleaming with delight. She crocked her head back and roared, swinging her tail violently destroying everything within reach. InuYasha and the others escaped to the edges of the courtyard out of Kagome's reach.
“We must escape now, while the guards are distracted.” Said Arren,
“I will not leave Kagome!” barked InuYasha, Anthony spied Tristan and Caleb making their way over to them, for now the dispute was settled, they couldn't leave without their brother or the Resistance leader. A loud crash drew their attention to the far corner of the court yard; the soldiers had cornered Kagome near the Dragon stables. She was getting weaker; her present form had depleted her energy, she fought to merely stand up. Kagome's form shrunk, gradually retaking human shape. Her knees wobbled as she stared at the dense circle of soldiers surrounding her, none daring to near her, waiting for Kane to subdue her. Kagome's knees buckled as Kane entered the circle; he smiled triumphantly at her he yanked up the collar of her shirt forcing her to stare up at him, his hot rancid breath, filling her nostrils.
“The legendary power of the Shape-shifter at its best; you'll prove a great asset Kagome.” The grin faded from Kane's lips as a roar erupted from the stables. Suddenly a sapphire blue dragon burst thru the brick wall, it glared down at the soldiers and Kane with hungry vengeful eyes. With one swing of his claw he sent the soldiers along with Kane flying. The dragon snorted smoke at the groaning human pile he created and gently picked up Kagome carefully wrapping his three clawed hand around her small form. He outstretched his long bat like wings; they were beautiful, a thin lair of silvery scales hid beneath vibrant blue feathers. And with a single beat of his wings he soared high above the castle and headed north toward the Zen Kingdom.
*~~~*
InuYasha watched as his mate was whisked away by a dragon, the two men had reached them by this time, Anthony and Arren embraced the beaten man. But InuYasha didn't care who these men were, all that mattered was finding Kagome again.
“Caleb, Kagome is the Shape-shifter of legend. We can't allow Kane to capture her again.” Said Tristan, InuYasha interest spiked dramatically when Tristan spoke of Kagome; it was his duty as her mate to protect her against all threats. Something he hasn't been doing very well as of late.
“I know Tristan, but our best chance of finding her is heading for the Zen Kingdom and explaining our plight to King Iscah.”
“We'll have to get through the Yin Kingdom first.” Said Anthony, in a grim tone, a bleak silence fell over the group; the Yin Kingdom was large and was allied to Kane if they were captured, there would be no hope of rescue or escape.
“I know getting threw the Yin Kingdom is going to be difficult, but I didn't fight this long only to turn back because our best chance of winning lies beyond the Yin Kingdom. Now I suspect that dragon is taking her to the Dragon Graveyard, and that's rumoured to be in the Angel's Embrace in the White Mountain's.” Explained Caleb with an odd reassurance, InuYasha didn't trust this Caleb he knew far too much about the dragon's possible destination for his liking.
“The Dragon Graveyard! Caleb no one has ever made it out of the their alive, and you expect us to go waltzing in?” asked Arren in a sarcastic disbelief, Caleb narrowed his eyes and groaned this was no time to be debating plans they should be escaping.
“We can debate this later; it won't be much longer before the guards realize what's going on.” Argued Tristan, Arren bit back any arguments in favour of escape, the group made their way to a tunnel leading to the castle wall and the small servant entrance into the surrounding city. A loud horn sounded signalling their escape, the group quickened their pace but the injured Tristan slowed them down. The sounds of shouting and clacking metal alerted them the guards were in the tunnel, Tristan stopped leaning against the wall exhausted he knew the guards would over take them before they reached the outside, especially with him slowing them down.
“Go on ahead, I'll hold them back.” Said Tristan pushing himself up with a sword he'd taken from a dead soldier.
“No Tristan, you'll be captured.” Protested Arren, Tristan shook his head and held his ground.
“Who'll rule the kingdom if we're all captured?” asked Tristan, Arren couldn't argue that, instead he looked to Caleb for help.
“Tristan is right, Lockhart will need a King once this is over.” Said Caleb, Arren and Anthony nodded slowly, InuYasha didn't care what this Tristan did, and all that mattered was finding Kagome.
“Caleb, if Kane's finds Kagome before you, all is lost, promise me you'll find her first?” pleaded Tristan,
“I swear it Tristan.” An unfamiliar thing crossed Tristan's lips that moment, a smile, for the first time it since he knew the man, Caleb also took it upon himself to protect Tristan's brothers and the legacy of his life.
“Now go, before my sacrifice is for nothing.” With a heavy heart Caleb left Tristan, InuYasha was the first to leave, with the echo they could all hear the battle behind them. The clash of metal, as swords crossed and guards fell dead, Tristan's sword fall, and a guard yell.
“Don't kill him boys, Lord Kane's wants to punish this one himself.” InuYasha felt a twinge of guilt for leaving the human, Kane would most likely torture him to death, but he too has a duty to complete. Thanks to Tristan distraction the group managed to make out into the city and vanish into the crowd. Caleb had contacts in the city and was able to get four horses, and supplies to last them for weeks.
“InuYasha, we'll be using the fourth horse to carry our supplies, it would be better if you didn't ride the horse, sense you were obviously a slave and no master would allow a slave to ride horse alongside him. It's prudent for you to act as a slave so to not attract attention.” Explained Caleb, Caleb's voice was soft and reasoning trying to not offend InuYasha.
“Whatever.” Grumbled InuYasha, he wanted to scream at Caleb he was not a slave anymore not in the normal sense that is, but bit his tongue like a good slave would. Caleb didn't need to say it, but the point was clearly there, you look like a slave, now act like one. And that idea infuriated InuYasha, just because his appearance differed from the humans didn't automatically make him a slave. And it appeared Kagome was the only one who saw it that way. Even if legally, Kagome owned him, she didn't think of him as her property, but as a person with wants and dreams, she cared about him, she loved him. InuYasha was certain it was her love for him that made her go against everything she believed in and buy him that fateful day. And it was probable there would never be another person like Kagome, who thought of slaves as people not property. That made InuYasha worry how far Caleb would push the idea of him acting the slave part.
As they rode, InuYasha jogged behind them like a slave would, day dreaming of a future life with Kagome. It was an odd thing to dream, for most of his life all that mattered to InuYasha was surviving. Lord Akira could have killed him whenever he felt like so there was no point to dream for a future that would never happen. But InuYasha dreamt of a little cottage in the forest, with a stream curving around it, there would be a beautiful garden out front. Each morning Kagome would kiss him goodbye as he left to hunt for game that Kagome would sell in the market, in the afternoon they would go for a picnic. Kagome would explain to him what a picnic was but it had to be fun, free humans did it all the time, and in the evening they would enjoy a hearty and good meal by a roaring fire, the perfect life with Kagome.
*~~~*
The Dragon flew high above the Kingdoms, his speed was incredible in a matter of hours he flew over Mika, and what Kagome assumed was the Yin Kingdom. On the border between the Yin and Zen Kingdoms was a White Mountain range, the Dragon landed deep in the mountains in a large valley, the mountain rock was beautiful, white stone with think veins of a yellow-green and grey-black criss-crossing each other. The valley was barren except for dozens of crystallized dragons; it was hauntingly beautiful when the sunlight hit them.
“Please tell me, why did you save me?” Kagome pleaded, the dragon looked down at her with sad mournful eyes and walked over to crystallized emerald green dragon, he laid down in front of the dragon, staring at her beautiful face. A mournful growl sounded from his throat as he stared at her. Kagome carefully walked over to the mighty beast, and gently placed her hand on his head.
“She was your mate.” The Dragon's mate looked exactly like the form she took, back at the castle. It explained why the dragon saved her, she reminded him of his lost mate. Suddenly his scales began to shimmer and slowly his body began to crystallize. Tears welled in Kagome's eyes as she realized he was dying.
“No, please don't die; I'll never forgive myself if you die because of me.” What appeared to be a smile crossed the dragon's lips, and he made a soft purring sound. As if telling Kagome, don't be sad this is what I want. Streams of hot tears ran down Kagome's cheeks as the dragon closed his eyes and was encased by crystal, but Kagome watched in amazement as the two dragons shimmered a brilliant blue and green light, the lights grew brighter and took the shape of the dragons holding each other's hands. Suddenly the two souls shot off leaving Kagome stranded in this dragon graveyard.
*~~~*
Tristan lay curled up trying to keep warm in his dark, damp prison. His various wounds stung from infection, but he knew he wouldn't die from it; Kane had taken to treating his most life threatening wounds. Ensuring he would have much more of his twisted idea of fun. The stench of mold, decay, and urine overwhelmed Tristan's scenes, but somehow amongst the disgusting smells of the dungeon Tristan caught a whiff of something fresh. He painfully crawled over to the bared cell door, and strained to find the source if this scent and there by the guards station was a small window with a single daffodil growing proudly. Tristan stared at the simple flower, it wasn't mighty in anyway, and a simple step would crush it. Tristan was never the garden loving type, not sense he was a child but somehow Tristan found himself admiring it; its six large petals and that stupid looking funnel. Watching that stupid little flower brought him comfort reminding him there was a world beyond these dungeon walls. A commotion in the guard station drew his attention away from the plant Tristan felt determined not to let the guards know about the flower for fear of destroying it.
“I'm here to feed the prisoner.” Said an unfamiliar feminine voice
“We have lots of prisoners pet; you'll have to be more specific.” Said the obnoxious Dungeon Guard Captain
“The rebel Tristan,”
“I don't think so pet, that one can starve. I want him to beg for food. It's not every day you get a prince to beg at your feet.” The Guards roared in a hearty laughter, Tristan scoffed at the Captains' remark, he'd rather die before he'd bow to these bastards.
“As you wish Capitan, I just thought Lord Kane would want his new playmate to last as long as possible. I'm sure Lord Kane will understand when prisoner dies prematurely.” Said the voice, Tristan smirked to himself when he heard the guards laughter stop dead, he could almost feel the Captains' frustration and that brought more joy then staring at a flower ever could.
“Do as you will wench, but be quick and don't give that wretch any good food.” The Captain's resentment was clear in his voice; Tristan eagerly watched the hall to put a face to the voice that caused him so much joy. To his surprise it was a woman younger than him, who had backed down the guards with her quick-wit. She was beautiful, a lean figure with lightly tanned skin, a small oval face with a small cute nose, and full lips. Tristan caught himself staring into her smoky grey eyes like a love struck pup, her dark hair was kept in a loose messy bun, he wondered what it looked like down.
“It takes a lot of guts to stand up to the guards like that.” Said Tristan
“It does, but it's worth the risk.” Said answered
“You're probably the only one who thinks that way.”
“I don't care, I have to do something. My father always said it's better to die on your feet then live on your knees.” Quoted Niele
“Isn't that what slave's do? Live on their knees, bowing to your masters.” Remarked Tristan in an arrogant tone, Niele glared at Tristan. She'd imagined the great Tristan Lockhart different, a gallant man who stood against all injustice, but what she found was a spoiled prince.
“And what do you know of the life of a slave? You were born into a life of luxury; you'd never be stolen from your home, only to be sold like cattle. To only God knows where, to be beaten, raped, and even murdered. Take a good long look at your beliefs Tristan Lockhart you might just discover how similar you and Kane are.” Niele stormed out of the hall before Tristan could utter another word, he would have argued her defended he was nothing like that tyrant but he brutally beat Kagome simply because he learned she was an Oracle, he'd never given her a chance to explain why she helped Kane. A terrifying thought lingered in the back of his mind, what if through all his battles and hatred had he truly become what he despised most?
But she was right on one account he knew nothing of the life of a slave, he's been raised that some were meant to serve others, it was just the way things were. All his life he'd never wondered what kind of life they lived or how they were treated. Once when he was a child he'd stumbled upon a flogged slave strung between two poles baking under the summer sun. He'd asked his father why he was there but his father replied he was too busy to worry about the punishment of the slaves, that is what the Overseer was for, and he must have had a good reason to flog the slave. Tristan never questioned matter again and when ever he'd encounter another punished slave, he dismissed the situation as the Overseers problem.
`I've thought of myself as a good man because I fight against Kane. But I've encountered slaves beaten like the ones I've freed from cruel masters before and left them to suffer. Was my family cruel master's, I am I cruel for letting it happen?' This thought gnawed at Tristan's mind, making him question everything he knew.
*~~~*
InuYasha stood alone in a dark stable, his legs burned from the constant running. He was so tried and wanted to rest but couldn't, his role to act the slave wasn't finished, Caleb always stayed in a town where oddly enough one of his contact live, and in every house they celebrated the escape of the two crown prince's of Lockhart. InuYasha was never allowed to join in the celebration, he had to bed down the horses and by the time he watered, fed, and groomed each horse the merrymaking long sense died down. He slept in the stables with the horses, as a slave he'd never be given a place to sleep in the warmth of the family home; that was never done in the civilized world. InuYasha's ears twitched as he heard someone walking toward him, he looked up and Arren was coming, carrying a plate of reasonably looking food of potatoes, vegetables and meat.
“I thought you might like something to eat InuYasha.” InuYasha mumbled a thank you. Arren placed the food down on a barrel, the smell tormented InuYasha it made the ache in his stomach burn even more, and he brushed harder trying to ignore it.
“You know if I'm caught eating that, they'll think I stole it and I'll be flogged.” Said InuYasha, Arren turned back and stared at him, InuYasha never looking up from the mares brown fur.
“I won't let that happen, InuYasha.” Said Arren determinedly, a small grin crossed InuYasha's mouth.
“You won't have a choice, I'm an acting slave remember if you'd want to keep up appearances you'd have to flog me, or else it would cause suspicion.” Arren stared at InuYasha threw an long awkward silence,
“Then stop and eat now, I'll wait while you finish so if anyone asks I'll tell them I gave it to you, they can't refuse sense I'm acting your master.” InuYasha looked Arren in the eye for the first time, but quickly looked away. He put the brush down and ate the food, Arren leaned against a stall wall looking outside, and ignoring the fact he had to be present just for InuYasha to eat a decent meal.
“But you're not my master Arren, it's not your crest centred in my mark.” Said InuYasha quietly, staring at the piled food on his plate.
“No, you're right I'm not. But the fact of the matter is, you're born of demon blood and that makes you a slave under any human. You'll never leave us because if you're caught without proper papers on your own, any bounty hunter would gladly pick you up, so I guess you're stuck with us.” Arren turned leaving InuYasha with a plate half full.
“You don't have to be on this journey, why do you care about Kagome so much?” InuYasha asked continuing to eat; Arren looked back at InuYasha with a raised eyebrow.
“She is the Shape-Shifter; with her as our ally we could finely defeat Kane, and return Mika to the way it's supposed to be.” InuYasha cringed at Arren's testament, his views of the world were just as he suspected. His fight for the Freedom of Mika was one-sided, and freedom for all humans, everyone-else was out of luck.
“Kagome would disagree with you; she thinks of demons as more then property. She sees us as people.” Argued InuYasha, with a new found courage, he looked Arren angrily in the eye and challenged his views.
“And what do you know of her?”
“She is my master; she bought me from Lord Akira two months ago.” Arren arrogantly smirked down at InuYasha.
“Don't fool yourself into thinking that her compassion toward you, is nothing more then what it is, weakness, after being locked away for so long who wouldn't show kindness to their first contact. I doubt someone of her greatness would lower herself into believing you're anything more than livestock. And I know then when she accepts my offer to be the new Queen of Mika, she'll throw you too the dogs, where you belong half-breed!” InuYasha said nothing as Arren walked away, he quickly wolfed down the food and washed the plate so no one would be the wiser, and returned to his work.
`Kagome would never love an arrogant bastard like him; she's too kind and loving too love someone like that.' Thought InuYasha reassuring himself, he remembered that moment in Snake Canyon when they almost kissed and his blood turned hot.
`But still Arren's a prince and I'm a lowly slave what could I offer her that Arren couldn't beat?' that fear lingered in InuYasha's heart, nothing he did could extinguish it, he was pulled from his thoughts when a slightly knock came from the stable door. Caleb stood in the doorway, InuYasha was surprised to see him; his travel companions were never this interested in him before. With his talk with Arren, InuYasha had forgotten they had to stay at an Inn that night, because it had gotten to dark before Caleb could get to a town with one of his contacts.
“Hello, InuYasha.” Said Caleb politely he exhaled and shifted his weight nervously.
“I came here to thank you InuYasha.” InuYasha looked up at the man perplexed; Caleb stood across from InuYasha and began to groom the horse along with him.
“I know it couldn't have been easy, to act like a slave when your free.” Confessed Caleb, InuYasha enjoyed Caleb's company more than he'd like to admit.
“I'm not free Caleb.” He looked at InuYasha surprised
“I figured as much, did you run away?”
“No, Kagome is my master, but she doesn't treat me like a slave. She's different that way.” Said InuYasha in a loving tone of voice
“Yes, I would imagine the Shape-Shifter would be different from most people. You should know the Prince's expect a certain comfort that can't be offered under the stars.”
“You'd think they'd be used to a little discomfort, spending so much time in Kane's dungeon.” Mumbled InuYasha cautiously, to his surprise Caleb roared with laughter.
“Yes, but that would be too much to expect from Royal Prince's. I have to admit, I'm surprised to learn Kagome even bought you in the first place, with the way you speak about her I never would have imagined her doing that.” InuYasha smiled, Caleb watched InuYasha's eyes drift, remembering a wonderful memory.
“I doubt she ever would again, but it was the only thing she could do to save me.”
“I don't understand.”
“I used to belong to Lord Akira; he was a cruel master who enjoyed torturing me. When I was young I escaped and Lord Akira was scared recapturing me, he blamed me for it and made my life a living hell.” InuYasha was surprised at his own truthfulness he never thought he'd admit that to anyone.
“I heard Lord Akira was killed by a wolf.”
“The same wolf who scared him.” Caleb looked at InuYasha wide-eyed for a moment, a ping of sympathy struck in Caleb's heart; he couldn't even imagine a life like the one InuYasha lived through.
“Kagome was trying to save me when she scared him; I never expected to see her again after I was captured. Lord Akira never realized she was more than a wolf and escaped. I didn't realize who she was until after she bought me, she went back after she found out what happened after we parted that first time. I don't believe she went back to kill him, I think she wasn't in control when she killed him.” Explained InuYasha, Caleb avoided looking at InuYasha after that and spied the clean plate by the water pale.
“I'm glad you got the food InuYasha, it was nice talking with you.” Said Caleb he took the clean plate and headed back into the Inn. InuYasha thought on his conversation with Caleb, he was nicer than most human but he was no different, Caleb still saw him as a slave and nothing more.
“InuYasha?” he was pulled from his thoughts by a familiar voice, InuYasha looked up at was shocked at the sight before him.
“Suki?” he breathed,
 
End Chapter
What will happen next? Why is Suki at the Inn and will Caleb, and the gang be able to find Kagome before Kane or anyone else get their claws into her, read my next chapter to find out.