InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter XIII ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter XIII
 
Kagome carefully navigated the narrow passageway threw the rugged mountain pass; the pass was so narrow a second person wouldn't be able to walk along side her. She'd contemplated changing into a bird and trying to find the way out by air, but there was no guarantee the end would be insight and with the pass being as small as it was she could easily lose sight of it and get lost. Resting against the stone walls Kagome looked up into the grey clouded sky with tears defeat and hopelessness trickling down her cheeks; it seemed would she die here, in this stone wasteland alone and never experiencing life. Kagome slowly slid down the rock face, rapping her arms around her knees holding them close she wept utterly lost and no idea what to do about it.
`Kagome what are you doing crying?' asked Ahura Mazda echoing inside Kagome's head
`What do you mean crying? I'm lost or have you forgotten that Mazda.' Replied Kagome frustrated
`Is that it?! Get up off your butt and get moving you lazy Oracle. The great Ahura Mazda doesn't choose quitters to be his Soul Pyx.' Said Ahura Mazda arrogantly, Kagome rolled her eyes the last thing she needed was to spend the rest of her life with the spirit of an arrogant dragon.
`You listen here Mazda, this is my body and I'm generously sharing it with you for the time being, I will not be treated like this by some lizard spirit. I'll show you just what this lazy Oracle can do.' Thought Kagome determinedly, she got up wiped away her tears and pushed on with a renewed passion burning in her.
`After all this time that trick still works.' Thought Ahura Mazda to himself chuckling mortals were easily empowered, insulting their capabilities was one of the easiest, as a people they were competitive and had an instinctive need to prove themselves that came in handy quite often.
*~~~*
InuYasha slept uneasily in an empty stall all he had for warmth was the hay and clothes on his back. Suddenly he was awoken from his slumber by someone roughly grabbing him, his mind blurred as he was dragged out of the stable by two men; a frigged downpour quickly drenched the confused InuYasha. A man was barking orders at the two men dragging him; they tied him between two poles behind the stable out of sight from any respected guest. InuYasha kept his head low; if he looked up defiantly it would only entice the Overseer into beating him more to break him of his defiance. The Inn Keeper placed his coiled whip under InuYasha's chin and forced him to look at him, the man's face was hard with grey stubble growing on his chin, and his hard black eyes stared down at InuYasha, his mouth scowled as he punched him across the jaw.
“You stole food from me you worthless slave. I won't bother your master's with this until after I'm finished with you, I'm sure they'll thank me for having you beaten for them.” Said the Inn Keeper, all InuYasha could do was wait for his punishment. The anticipation was always the worst; he'd try to prepare himself for it, but Overseers often waited long enough between lashes to make the poor soul think it was over. The first lash didn't even sting, InuYasha smiled he knew the cloth of the fire rat was protecting him, but the Inn Keeper clued in and order his men to remove his shirt and retie him. With nothing to protect him InuYasha held his breath as his waited the second lash stung his flesh the rain water made it burn, the Inn Keeper didn't waste time as he viciously beat InuYasha.
“What will it take to make you scream you worthless slave!” yelled the Inn Keeper, InuYasha's bravery finely gave in and he screamed with the fall of each lash, but his screams fell on deaf ears muffled by the roaring thunderstorm above them.
*~~~*
As Kagome was walking thru the narrow mountain pass she stopped suddenly, fear clenched her heart, something was terribly wrong. She could hear faint screams coming from the cloudy sky. Kagome stared into the clouds straining to hear anything; they were InuYasha's screams she was certain of it; someone was hurting him, and there was nothing she could do. Kagome clasped her hands over her ears trying to block out the screaming, it was unbearable, how could anyone do something so terrible.
“Stop this…Stop this now!” Kagome screamed then suddenly she felt weak and the next thing she knew she was staring down at herself rising upward.
“What's happening?” wondered Kagome, she felt herself be overtaken by a strange purple light, and then suddenly shot threw the sky with incredible speeds. Kagome pasted over the Yin Kingdom and entered a storm when entering Mika, but she didn't feel the pounding rain hit, she was completely dry. In the distance she saw an Inn, Kagome increased her speed she knew that's where InuYasha was. Kagome landed in a blast of purple flames, in the bushes across from InuYasha, she looked at herself in a puddle she was a large grey wolf. The Inn Keeper swung back the whip to strike again, but Kagome was not going to let that happen, she pounced from her hiding place and took the lash herself; it hit her side in mid air as she as she jumped in front of InuYasha. The three men stared awe struck at Kagome who bared her fangs snarling at them, daring them to try and hurt InuYasha.
“That wolf looks hungry; we'll come back in later after she's had her pound of flesh from the slave.” Said the Inn Keeper and left, Kagome relaxed a little, she tried to claw the ropes that bound InuYasha but her claws past right threw, she couldn't even change back into her normal form. Dispirit for answers Kagome reared up in her hind legs and tried splashing a puddle but she made no effect on it.
`I'm not really here, people can see me and touch me but I can't make any affect. What do I do?' Kagome wondered to herself, she stared at InuYasha, his head was slumped over, and his body held up by the bonds on his wrists. Kagome barked at InuYasha trying to wake him up, Kagome's heart leapt when his eyes fluttered open, she barked and wagged her tail happily.
“Kagome?” InuYasha muttered, Kagome jumped on her hind-legs placing her front paws on InuYasha chest as gently as possible, and licked his face. She didn't know why but she was able to touch him even like this maybe because she loved him so deeply.
`You're alive, I'm so glad.' Thought Kagome, Her wolf ears flexed someone was coming, the Inn Keeper and his minions were returning.
“Do you think that wolf is finished with it? I wonder if they'll be anything left for us to have some fun with?” asked one of them; Kagome narrowed her pale wolf eyes, she positioned herself between InuYasha and the Inn Keeper, and tried to look as fearsome as possible hoping to scare them away.
“It seems that wolf is still here? What should we do?” asked one of the Inn Keepers companions.
“One of you go try to scare it away.”
“No way, I heard it was a grey wolf like that one that killed Lord Akira, I'm not messing with that thing. What if it's the same wolf?” asked the second companion.
“Fine, we'll leave him here. If the wolf eats the demon it's no skin of my back. I got my revenge for the theft.” Kagome smiled and wagged her tail as the men left; after they were gone she started barking constantly trying to get anyone with a heart to figure out what was going on. But no one came; Kagome assumed the Inn Keeper merely told anyone who asked, some worthless slave was being punished. But even still Kagome continued barking until she was too exhausted to continue. She again tried to claw threw the ropes but she still didn't have any effect.
`What kind of power would let you see the ones you love being hurt but not allow you to do anything about it?' wondered Kagome, she sat in front of InuYasha with deep sad eyes, crying. He looked to be in so much pain, contrary to her wolf features tears trickled down her checks.
“Please don't cry Kagome, I've been far worse than this.” InuYasha strained to speak, but it didn't reassure her. Kagome tore her gaze away from him unable to face her own helplessness.
“Kagome, get away from here, don't let Kane's men find you.” Said InuYasha Kagome looked up at him with a fiery determination in her eyes, she shook her head no, and sat next to his feet. InuYasha knew it was useless to fight her; Kagome had made up her mind, and threw out the rest of the night, Kagome stayed faithfully keep watch until morning.
`I'm sure InuYasha is traveling with others, he wouldn't have made it this far on his own otherwise. But I swear whoever let this happen I'll make them pay.' Kagome didn't bother InuYasha she wanted him to save his strength, it wasn't until day break that she looked up at him, and seen how pale and exhausted he looked. Kagome barked trying to wake him up but it didn't work, something was wrong she had to find help. Kagome ran around the Inn no one was around, not even slaves, finely she heard someone standing outside the front door were three men, Kagome recognized Caleb but not the other two.
“Where is InuYasha, shouldn't he be waiting here with the horses?” whined Anthony, Kagome narrowed her eyes at this man, she didn't like the way he spoke of her love with such distaste in his voice.
“You seem to forget my Prince, that InuYasha is with us by choice he's not our slave.” Said Caleb bitterly, Kagome could only hope that Caleb truly cared about InuYasha's well being, for now she was forced to trust him. Kagome stepped out from behind the building she was hiding behind, Caleb was the first to notice her, and all of them looked at her with a curious wonder.
“A wolf?” asked Arren, Kagome walked away a slight ways before looking back at them.
“I think it wants us to follow.” Said Anthony
“InuYasha's former master, Lord Akira was killed by a grey wolf. I think that wolf knows where InuYasha is.” Said Caleb, they all ran after the animal, but Caleb was the only one truly concerned, she lead them behind the stable, Caleb stopped dead in his tracks, horrified by the sight before him. InuYasha stood stung between two poles, his body slumped over, and back exposed covered in dozens of lashes
“By God in Heaven!” exclaimed Caleb, the wolf was barking furiously at him, as if ordering to cut him down. Caleb unsheathed his sword and quickly cut the poor InuYasha down, Caleb gently laid the unconscious InuYasha on the ground and moved to give the wolf room; she sniffed him and licked his face, trying to make him wake up.
“So she did lead us to InuYasha after all.” Mumbled Caleb,
“Maybe she's his mate; don't demon slaves mate with animals?” Asked Anthony sarcastically, the wolf ignored Anthony, but he received cold glares from the rest from Caleb. Kagome's heart jumped for joy when InuYasha stirred slightly, she was so happy he was alive, she didn't know what she'd do if she lost him. But these people allowed this to happen and for all she knew instructed it. Kagome turned to them snapping and snarling viciously, Caleb held up his hands defencelessly trying to calm her, he suspected this was no ordinary wolf.
“Easy there, we had no knowledge of this, I swear to you. We would never do this to InuYasha.” Kagome almost didn't believe his explanation but InuYasha woke up and she didn't care anymore, she moved over him licking him lovingly. The mixture of sweat, metallic blood, and rain water tasted foully but Kagome didn't care all that mattered was InuYasha was alright.
“Idiot, you should have left when I told you.” Said InuYasha weakly
`Never,' Kagome thought determinedly
“Leave now Kagome, these men are looking for you, I don't know if they can be trusted. Please go and stay safe until I find you again.” Whispered InuYasha as Kagome continued to lick his face. Kagome looked at into InuYasha's eyes searching for answer, he smiled weakly and replied.
“I'll be alright; I promise I'll find you.” InuYasha murmured, Kagome looked at him with tear filled eyes and left, escaping into the bushes. Once alone she howled mournfully and her form burst into purple flames and shot back to her body where she belonged.
“Come on InuYasha we have to get you to a healer.” Said Caleb helping InuYasha walk over to the horses, InuYasha wanted to protest but was in too much pain to complain. Caleb helped him on his unsaddled horse. The healer was in town, Caleb wanted to avoid going into the centre of town but it couldn't be helped.
“Who did this to you InuYasha?” asked Caleb as they walked down the road, Caleb looked over his shoulder but InuYasha avoided his gaze.
“It doesn't matter, this is simply the life of a slave.” Said InuYasha solemnly, Caleb wanted to say something, that it wasn't right, or it shouldn't be that way, but said nothing because they were all meaningless words. InuYasha was right it was the life of a slave to be beaten or even killed with or without reason.
“Stop Caleb.” Caleb looked back at InuYasha curiously.
“We'll be entering the town soon, and if they see you're letting your slave ride the horse, it'll draw attention.” Caleb wanted to argue but couldn't it was his own reasoning.
“Then walk behind the horse InuYasha, that way it'll look like we're going to sell it.” The town was bustling with people; Caleb paid no attention to them trying to look as uninteresting as possible, for being gravely wounded InuYasha managed to hide it well, he only walked with a slight limp. Caleb suspected it was because of the various beatings he received at the hands of Lord Akira; Caleb had heard the rumours about his cruelty, a heartless man who enjoyed the suffering of others, probably beat his slaves just to watch them squirm under the hot sun or hear their screams.
They found the Healers Shop without much trouble; it was a small one bedroom hut, made of clay and rock, with a hay roof. The Hut was dark with foul smelling herbs; the room was filled with all sorts of plants sealed in glass jars lining the walls on tall shelves surrounded them. With a pale candle light giving the only light.
“What can this I do for you?” asked a beautiful young woman, She was tall, lean woman, with long soft blonde hair that went almost white in sunlight, and pale blue eyes, she wore a black cloak that hid most of her features but InuYasha's higher scenes could tell.
“I want you to treat this slave.” Said Caleb coldly, pushing InuYasha forward. The woman eyed Caleb oddly, judging his character; she smiled a like a fox cornering it's pray.
“Come this way.” She said in a soft musical voice. Caleb followed her into the back room with InuYasha three steps behind, there was only a small table and a wooden bed, with dozens of candles littered about.
“Take off your shirt and lie face down.” Ordered the woman, InuYasha promptly obeyed, his lashes were bright red, and swollen and some still slightly bleeding.
“I need him road worthy, were going to be traveling today.” Said Caleb, in his cold masterly tone, the Healer looked over her shoulder and smiled.
“You should keep a better eye on your slave. The Inn Keeper can be quite the bastard.” Caleb looked wide-eyed at the woman, and laughed.
“Is it that obvious I'm not from around here?” asked Caleb jokingly, the Healer only smiled.
“I've never known a master to spend his money to heal a worthless slave.” Said the Healer questioningly, Caleb sighed he'd hoped he'd be able to hide the truth from her, but her eyes looked strait to your soul.
“I suppose they wouldn't, but I'd imagine this slaves' true master would kill me if I returned him in this condition. And I fear her far more than any Healer's questioning gaze.” The Healer looked at Caleb oddly for moment then burst out laughing, both InuYasha and Caleb looked at her like she was insane, after a full four minutes of laughing did the Healer wipe a tear from her eye and stop.
“You're blunter then I imagined Caleb, but I suppose you'd have to be to challenge Kane.” Caleb eyed the Healer and drew his sword. With the intent of killing her, he was certain she was a spy for Kane or worse.
*~~~*
Tristan paced his cell anxiously, Niele was in danger he was certain of it, it had been well over four days sense the repugnant guard threatened Niele and he hadn't seen hide or hair of her sense then. Kane had left him to heal so Tristan had nothing but his thoughts and worries to occupy him, the slave girl who brought him his food wouldn't acknowledge his pleas for information on Niele, a simple yes or nod that she was ok would have sufficed.
`Maybe this is a new torment Kane devised. He figured out I care for Niele and got his bastard guard to threaten her in front of me then prevent her from seeing me just to make me fret with worry.' Thought Tristan, wearing a deep hole in the cell floor he stopped wrapping his head around the idea but quickly shook it from thought.
`No, can't be that, too subtle for Kane. He enjoys watching the pain in his victim's eyes to much to do anything like this.' Thought Tristan but that only made his fears grow, Niele had told him Kane holds her as ransom to keep her brother inline. Tristan had to admit the idea felt surreal to him, but it was clever use a man's only living family as leverage to insure he performed well and killed on command, it was almost the perfect way to ensure loyalty any loving brother would do anything to protect his loved ones. Tristan pushed the thoughts from his mind he had to concentrate on how to protect Niele.
`I have to escape, if I'm going to protect Niele.' Thought Tristan leaning his forehead against the cool iron bars of his cell, he looked down at the Guards Keep, they were sitting around the table playing cards and debating who had the smelliest feet or worst breathe then toasting the winner. Spilling that wonderful delicious ale all over, Hart's Ale was the best in the Kingdom, made exclusively in Lockhart City. He missed his home town's pride and joy greatly no other ale he's tried compared to it, it's sweet and bitter taste smoothed down the pallet with a bubbly aftermath leaving a hint of a nutty flavour in the mouth. Tristan's mouth watered just thinking about it, then it struck him, Hart's Ale was very strong easily intoxicating a grown man with half the amount it would normally take.
“Guard!” Tristan hollered praying his plan woke back fire
“Hey Guard, I'm talking to you, you son of a demon!” One of the guards stumbled to his feet, and staggered down the corridor to his cell.
“What do you want Lockhart?” the guard slurred his question, barely able to stand as the swayed in front of Tristan's cell.
“Why don't you send some that ale my way, there is no reason for such a fine drink to be wasted on the likes of you.” Mocked Tristan, the guard scowled breathing his fowl breathe in Tristan face.
“I know Kane's standards for prison guards is low but that doesn't mean you have to give up entirely on hygiene” the guard looked puzzled trying to rap his drunken single thought mind around Tristan's insult.
“I'm telling you, you smell like month old milk mixed with rotten eggs.” Tristan spoke very slowly ensuring the guard understood his insult. The guard moved closer and punch Tristan in the stomach, even drunk he still packed a punch. Tristan fell to his knees gasping for air.
“You call that a punch?” Tristan asked in a raspy voice, “My grandmother could punch better than that.” taunted Tristan backing away from the bars, leading the drunken guard into his cell. Once the guard was inside Tristan pounced, punching him in the face the guard tried to punch back but Tristan was fast on his feet and jumped out of the way letting the guard fall into the wall. Pushing himself up the Guard tried again to punch Tristan but Tristan landed his powerful blow first and slammed the guard's head into his knee knocking him out. The other guard heard the commotion and staggered to help; Tristan grabbed the unconscious guard's sword and lunged at the closest guard taking him by surprise plunging his sword into the guards' gut, the second guard was trying to pull his sword from its sheath, with a single slice from his blade Tristan slashed the guards' throat. The third and final guard had his sword in hand but stood his back against the wall quivering in fear with his blade straight up in front of him, he was a boy no older then nineteen Tristan raised his blade to kill the boy but quickly lowered it he saw the defenceless Kagome in this terrified boys' eyes.
“Why are you here boy?” demanded Tristan
“My father owed money to Lord Kane, it was either work for him or be sold into slavery.” Said the boy in a shaky voice, it was a choice Kane sometimes gave to healthy men, Service, Slavery, or Slaughter. They could serve him to pay off the debt, be sold and hopefully make enough money to pay it; otherwise Kane would go thru the rest of the family, or refuse both and Kane would slaughter the entire family.
“I am sorry.” Said Tristan looking up at the boy over his eyebrows and then stabbed him in the stomach making sure the wound was survivable, Kane was surely kill the boy if he left him unharmed. Tristan stole the unconscious guards' clothes and a spare helmet and headed for Kane's harem praying Niele wasn't there. It wouldn't be long until someone realized he'd escaped he had to hurry. Tristan stifled the fear growing with in him, petrified someone would recognize him under the helmet, he had to walk tall and proud but submissive as well not something a royal was used too. The halls of Blackheart castle were disturbing, paintings hung on every wall depicting horrible scenes of mutilation, rape, and death, these so called artworks chilled him to the bone.
`They must be recreations of battles Kane has won.' Tristan thought, the closer he came to the Harem, the disturbing paintings were replaced with sheer red curtains hung over the bared windows. At the end of what felt like an impossibly long hall was a massive room almost as large as a throne room, but it wasn't contracted with wonderful architecture too represent the King's greatness. Curtains gave the large room the illusion of windows on the walls; there were only two exits the other Tristan surmised was to Kane's personal chamber. The room housed a large caged room with only a two person pathway around it, sheer red curtains hung on the bars clumped together for maximum view. Tristan circled the room there must have been twenty or more scantily clad woman imprisoned in there, they looked at him with fear and disgust in their hollow eyes, but Niele wasn't among them. A wave of relief washed over Tristan, until he spied the wooden door at the edge of the room, he gripped the door handle with sweaty palms dreading what he'd find behind it.
End Chapter
A slight cliff hanger for you to ponder until the next instalment of In the Shadow of Destiny, what will be behind the door? A nightmare? A situation so horrible it sickens Tristan to his stomach? Or perhaps Tristan's beloved; did the repugnant guard make good on his threat? Or maybe it's a broom closet? Read the next chapter of In the Shadow of Destiny to find out. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and please don't forget to review.
May your holiday be a joyous one, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year