InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inescapable Destinies ❯ Unexpected Memories ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: People, I would like to make something clear. I am indeed a girl, a regular 13 year old girl, not a boy. Someone reviewed me and thought I was a boy… X_x Oh well, I also recommend that you listen to AFI The Great Disappointment. Gomen nasai in advance if this chapter kind of sucks or is just too stupid or took too long for your liking!

 
Disclaimer: Please stop doing this to me! Only the almighty goddess Rumiko Takahashi has that wonderful honor and privilege to own Inuyasha and co.

Inescapable Destinies
Chapter Four
Last Time
She didn't know how long she ran, but before she knew it, she had outrun her tomadachi, or they had given up, she didn't know which. She could feel the acid finally take its toll on her, as did the blood loss. She was panting heavily, and she was sure that they could hear it back at the camp. Then out of nowhere she saw a shimmer as she ran into a wall, an invisible wall. That is why they couldn't follow her anymore; she had walked straight into a barrier! But whose was it? And what did they want? It wouldn't take long for her questions to be answered because when she fell on her back, both from the force of the impact and her weariness, she looked up and could see two pairs of eyes on her, and she knew exactly who they belonged to…
Now
She stared in awe at the beautiful women who had once again presented themselves to her to honor her sight. And she was never going to get use to how beautiful they were, they were breath taking, and as it was she was having difficulty breathing. She saw as they rushed to her side and stared down at her with a look of compassion, fear, and guilt. She looked at them wearily and confused before they spoke to her, and it seemed as if all the pain had been washed away in a storm with the sound of their voices. “Kagome, we understand that you wish to make as much time with your friends as possible but…” she looked as the guilt in their face grew. Now she was getting worried.
`Why are they so guilty and why are they staring at me like that? But their voices just seem to wash it all away… Wait! How are they here? They are dead, and the only place I can see them is in the mind realm! If they found a way to come to this, the living world, without taking their souls back then this can't be good news for me.' But her revere was interrupted by the melodious sound of their voice again, this time it was Midoriko.
“Kagome-sama, you must rid yourself of two of your companions. This is not a decision that we have made, a higher force than us has demanded that we keep you from those who would hurt you. Kagome-sama, before we tell you who you must be rid of, you must understand a bit more about all of this. We have already told you that we are your incarnations, but you must understand to the fullest extent what this means. Our combined souls are in your body, as well as mine in the Shikon no Tama, but you also have a soul of your own. So in total you have three different souls inside you combined into one. But since part of my soul still resides in the Shikon no Tama, that binds it to you, you can not make a wish on it because my soul will not be freed, merely disappear. And if it disappears, then you disappear. And you and I both know that there are people in your group who want wish on the Shikon for their own selfish needs. Kagome-sama, you must not be near those who could cause you harm, Inuyasha and Sango, both want to use the Shikon for themselves. Inuyasha wants to become full youkai, and Sango, Kagome-sama, Sango wants to become stronger and have her brother returned to her.”
They watched as tears rolled down the girl's face from the girls beautiful, yet solemn, sapphire eyes, and felt the guilt get to them again. But she had to know the truth; she had to realize that she had to protect herself even from those who she trusts, because the world depends on her and her ability to do so. They couldn't figure out how their `otou-san' knew of these things, but he did, and they weren't about to question him or his choice in the protection of young Kami. So they stared at her for a while, in an awkward silence, but it was soon broken by Mitsuki who just wanted to get this over with. “You can still travel with the Houshi, the Kit, the Neko-youkai, as well as Sesshomaru, Rin, Ah and Uhn, And Jaken. In fact it is essential that you do, for they will be your guides through your life. Please heed our words and do not let your emotions or others get in the way of this decision… Kagome, my dear, this is for your own good, and the good of the world. Sayonara.” Kagome watched as the two disappeared again, and left her to settle things in her mind for the second time.
`Why is it that every time they leave, my life is changed for… eternity? But I guess there is really nothing I can do about it right? Hey wait my wounds! They healed them with the barrier… I should listen to them; I mean I can already sense that Inuyasha has gone back to the camp… with Kikyou. Well that is an upside to all this, I can sense them now. They all went back to the camp about ten minutes after chasing me. Well, I guess it will be better for me, but Sango, I never knew she wanted to make a wish on the Shikon.'
“And they expect me to just rip Miroku away from Sango? How can I just separate the group… right, `… don't let your emotions or others get in the way of your decision…' Okay, if it means the safety of the world, then fine. I will do this, no matter what it takes.” Now tears were pooling and falling down her eyes at the mere mention of separating the group, but she knew it had to be done. Besides, the feeling that they were giving off was the same feeling that people were surrounded in when they had been near her otou-san… “Well I better get this over and done with. I don't want anything to wait; I just want this to be over with. But… I don't want to. Okay, be strong Kagome, be strong, yo can do this.” So trying to hold in the rest of her tears, Kagome stood up and started the walk to the camp. She knew that she would start crying once she started to tell them, but until she didn't want to cry. And she wouldn't for as long as she could hold them, she wouldn't cry. She could see the camp coming into view and she stopped at the edge seeing the brothers arguing, both with their hands on the hilt of their swords. `Not now. Not when I have to say something important. Stupid idiotic brothers, always choosing the wrong moments to fight.' She could hear bits and pieces of the argument and could make out it had something to do with Kikyou and how she smelled. `Baka's, they truly are baka's. I swear if they can't even think about the fact that Rin is there, then they must be pretty slow. Ugh, better stop them now, I can't hold in my tears anymore.' So she walked out into view and saw that Kikyou instantly sent her a glare, which she returned equally. She may have the tendency to love all living things, but Kikyou wasn't really alive. And as long as she didn't have to love that piece of dirt and clay, then she wouldn't.
Then she turned around to Inuyasha and Sesshomaru who had a murderous look in their eyes, knuckles white from how hard they were grasping the hilt of their swords. She decided now was as good a time as any to stop this and deliver the news. “Inuyasha I would keep that little clay pot who likes to steal people's souls on a leash if I were you. We don't know what could happen to her if she were to get me mad. Now stop bothering my guest and get over by the fire, I have some… (gulp) umm… changes that need to be announced.” She saw as he glared at her and finally took out Tessaigia from its sheath and pointed it at her. Letting her instinctstake control she walked over to him, eyes flaming with rage and sadness, but not hate. She walked up to his now un sure form and raised her hand up and slapped him hard on the face, making a resonating sound echo in the awed and surprised clearing around them. “Listen you baka. I am not having the best week ok, so I would suggest putting your stupid little sword away before I make you fall on it so that it pierces your chest. I have been working my ass off for all of you and you don't even care to give me a break do you? No because as long as you have your smelly, dead bitch Kikyou, you couldn't care less about how I feel, as long as I can temporarily replace her. I have been through hell and back, pun intended, and all you have the nerve to do is hurt me because I was forced to join up with Sesshomaru-sama at the moment. Then you come off pointing the sword, that if you don't remember, you wouldn't even be holding if it weren't for me, and try to intimidate me! Well, you know what Inuyasha just shut the hell up, for once in your life, and listen to someone else, other than Kikyou!” Her voice had been controlled, but you could hear the tint of sadness and anger hidden behind that calm.
Everyone looked at her in surprise, and then watched as she grabbed the still shocked Inuyasha, who was holding the cheek where she slapped him, and pulled him towards the fire. Then when he was next to the now glaring Kikyou, she uttered, “Oswarii”, and he feel face first into the ground (Oh inu dropped the Tessaigia when she slapped him.) Then she turned to the Taiyoukai who, if you looked close enough, had an amused look in his eyes, and stated in a quivering voice, “S-Sesshomaru-sama, would you please join us by the fire? I am going to explain everything that has happened, and what I just found out in the forest. Might need your help in this, so will you j-join us?” They watched as he nodded and started to walk over to them (Btw, Shippo, Rin, and Kirara are all asleep by the fire). Once he was in place Kagome motioned for the rest to sit down, and they did eager to hear what was going on. They saw as she sat down next to Sesshomaru, but had a decent amount of space between them, and took in a long shaky breath and let it out, closing her eyes in the process. “Okay, about what three days ago we ran into Sesshomaru-sama here and you saw how I confronted Inuyasha ya da ya da. Well I was umm… extremely fatigued at the moment. I hadn't exactly eaten or slept for a while, and Inuyasha was being extremely rough on us that day. So when I was falling, my mind it sort of created my own world in which I can go to, that we call the `Mind Realm'. And since I was thinking in concern about Sesshomaru-sama my mind took him with me. You see the mind realm is a place where I can go to relieve myself of my worries,” and she secretly added, `and I can see how much I need it now,' “So when I go there everything is peaceful and beautiful, and oh so perfect. A few non-important things happened and then I met these two beautiful women, one Midoriko-san, the other was Sesshomaru-sama's okaa-san, Mitsuki-san. They explained to me that I was not, and I repeat, not Kikyou's reincarnation. I am theirs and I am… I am a Kami.” She said that last part in hopes of them not hearing her, as she looked away from them and at the floor.
She waited for a moment, as she played with a particularly enigmatic portion of the grass. She went on as she looked down at it still between her fingers, as if refusing to bend to her will, as were her tears, so when she spoke it was even shakier (apparently this is a word, so says the computer. I didn't want to put that word, sounds like something a pre-schooler would say, but oh well) than before. “I am going to outlive all of you, because I can't die, unless killed. And I am not allowed to ever go back to my time again. But this is only what I learned in my `Mind Realm'. Right now, while I was running I went into a barrier, which was made by the same two women. (sigh) They told me things I didn't know about… about you Sango.” At this part she looked up and stared at Sango with a hurt expression on her face. “Why didn't you tell anyone you wanted to use the Shikon for yourself?” She could hear Miroku gasp as he scooted away from Sango, but all she saw was Sango's face that looked rather guilty. “So it is true then. You did want to use it to become stronger and have Kohaku-kun returned to you. But that is why this decision was made, if only you hadn't wanted to Sango, and then we could still travel together, all of us. But your selfishness has not let that be true. I could have been able to travel without Inuyasha easily,” you could hear a `feh' from the latter in the background, “but know… (Tears slide down her face) know, we can't travel together anymore. Neither you nor Inuyasha can travel with us any longer, because once a selfish wish is made in the heart, nothing can make it back down, not even me, your friend. And if I let anyone wish on the jewel, then nothing good will come out of it, whether the wish be pure or not. Miroku-sama, you are supposedly required to accompany me.” Many tears slide down her face to the ground as she spoke in her quivering voice. But suddenly and angry and determined look crossed her face and she spoke again, neither quivering nor tears relenting in the least.
“But `don't let your emotions or others get in the way of your decision' be damned, you don't have to come with me if you don't want to. I don't care what they say just do what you your heart says for you to do. Besides, I could never separate you from Sango, no matter what…” but she was cut off by Miroku, because when she looked up he was right in front of her sitting down with a face that said `how could I ever leave your side?' And she saw him smile at her, a big true grin. And that was all that was needed for her to break down and crash into him with a hug, crying into his robes furiously, as she felt his hands encircle her protectively while one hand rubbed soothing circles into her back. It hit her that it wasn't fair that she be crying like this when at least she could have love lives without worries, but him, he could die any day and leave behind a family or something. And here she was crying like a child, and even in front of a Great Taiyoukai! But here she was, crying into him like a child. And at the moment she truly felt like one, for the first time she felt like she could just be like a child and cry into some ones awaiting arms. She hadn't felt like this in ages, at the age of 5 she had lost all childness in her and had become an adult. She still had the innocence, but she was truly an adult at her age of 17. She picked up her face and looked up to the warm face of Miroku only to see him looking down at her with a look on his face that said that something was about to… “HENTAI! (SLAP) Can't you be serious for one minute you damn leach!” Kagome looked down at the sprawled form of Miroku as he had a big grin on his face as well as a red hand print, she heard him sigh in content and say, “It was worth the pain…” rather wistfully. She turned on her heels only to be met with a chest and falling backwards before arms wrapped around her from behind and held her steady then she looked up to see a fuming Inuyasha glaring at the person holding her, which was Miroku by the feel of his hands, and then she saw two women glaring at her, Kikyou and Sango.
“So ano… hey Sesshomaru-sama, Miroku, how would you two like to leave now? You know as in grab our things and leave this place this very instant. Ano… guys? What is it, what are you looking at?” Kagome only turned around, and it was as if things were going in slow motion. There was a stunned Inuyasha being held back by Sango, who wasn't even struggling, and Kikyou stood in front of them both bow in hand and she was in the stance you take once you release the arrow. Then Kagome looked back towards the arrow shooting towards her and Miroku. She knew he wouldn't be able to act in time and move them out of the way, or even himself, so she stood there, until she heard a voice call out, “Miko, this is your first lesson, learn to dodge the arrow and counter.” But when she thought about it now, she could only hear it in her mind. So again she let her instincts take over. She quickly dodged out of the way of the arrow bringing Miroku with her, then she let him go when she was sure they were out of harms way. She was using speed she didn't know she had, but at the moment she wouldn't think but instead ran towards Kikyou, automatically looking for an opening. `There!' And she ran towards the spot that she saw the opening and quickly sent her self spinning around with her leg stretched so it could hit her in the stomach. When Kagome's feet were firmly planted on the ground again she looked at the now doubled over Kikyou and Inuyasha who was trying to help her up. She then turned around to see that Miroku and Sesshomaru were staring at her with a funny look on their face.
“Nani? Do I have something on my face? Nani! What is wrong with you two? Hello, anybody in there, at all? Oh whatever, “she was exasperated, and she was confused that Sesshomaru had any kind of look on his face at all. Then as if something just clicked she looked towards Sesshomaru, who stilled looked… well looked. “So how did I do? Is there anything to fix or faults to perfect or anything? Well seeing as I have barely ever fought with my fists or anything I bet there was like an opening in my attack or something.” She watched as he slowly came back from a visit to his own world and looked at her, as if finding the best way to put what he was about to say.
After about a minute of silence, Kagome got tired of waiting turned towards the direction of the fire to go get everything ready for their departure, before their former friends could get in together again. Twenty minutes later and she had everything ready and packed to go. All she had to do was wake up Kirara and Shippo, which she didn't know how they were still asleep through all that raucous, to explain and convince them. She knelt down by them and nudged Kirara, who woke up instantly, then Shippo, but left Rin alone, since she was going to come anyway. When she was sure they had given her their full attention, she started to explain everything to them, and that they had a choice with whom to go. She let them process the information, and then out of nowhere, the two of them ran to her (Kirara now in her smaller form) and jumped into her awaiting arms, leaving a very cold Rin in its wake. Kagome scooted closer to Rin and used her empty arm to pull her close to her body to provide her with her warmth. She held them to her for a while until the kids were asleep again and quickly told Kirara that they were leaving now. She watched as she transformed and put the two sleeping children on her back cuddled as close as she could get them so they could share warmth.
She turned back toward the other two members of her group and quickly went over to them, seeing as how they were now arguing with Inuyasha and Sango. Well, it wasn't exactly arguing with them being as calm as ever, but what else could she call it? So she approached them and stood by their side, she gave Inuyasha and Sango a sympathetic glance before she turned to the other two and gave them a loving smile. Then she whispered in a sort of sad tone, “Ano, we should get going now. I don't think it wise for us to stay here any longer; I don't want us to fight again. Let's go, k? I have everything packed already so we don't have to wait anymore, plus Kirara and Shippo said they wanted to come with me also, and Kirara is carrying him and Rin so come on, let's not stall any longer.” She saw as they nodded and turned with her and started to walk away, she could hear Inuyasha and Sango coming after them as they walked away, yelling at them about one thing or another, but right now Kagome could really care less. She didn't hate them, but she didn't exactly feel the same way that she did a while back. Before she knew it there was another barrier, which felt exactly like the one before except it gave off more of that vive her otou-san gave, surrounding them. The world outside the barrier began to shimmer and then it started to dissolve into a different scene, one that seemed far too familiar, like she had been here before. She looked around and saw the confusion on Miroku's face, but the look on Sesshomaru's face was as stoic as ever. She looked toward Kirara and saw that she seemed unaffected as well, so she rushed to Miroku's side to see if he knew what was going on.
When she reached him he was staring at her as if he knew what was going on and he quickly started to explain. “Kagome-sama I believe that we are viewing one of our memories. But I don't know whose, for it is not one of my memories. Perhaps you should go ask Sesshomaru-sama, because you seem to be the only one who can move.” She looked around and found that he was right, she was the only one moving, and she wanted to know why. She quickly rushed over to Sesshomaru and asked, “Ano, Sesshomaru-sama, do you know what is going on? Is this your memory, or what? That is if I may be so honored to know.” She saw him look at her and then spoke as briefly as he had to, which seems to be very. “This is not a memory of this Sesshomaru, but it is yours.” Kagome turned again and looked straight ahead, only to see the image of a young 5 year old version of her running happily about her house. She saw that it was the same day that her life changed forever, the day her otou-san died, her fifth birthday. She felt her knees begin to buckle beneath her and she landed on them only to let herself fall into sitting position unceremoniously, as a hand went to clutch the area above her heart, as if that could ease the pain. She watched helplessly as her memory rolled on, and brought back years of sadness. Her sapphire eyes filled with tears and pain, but it was the kind of pain that she has succumbed to so many times before, mental and emotional pain.

A little girl ran happily through the house, it was her fifth birthday and her otou-san was taking her out. She saw her otou-san in the kitchen with her okaa-san, and she hid behind the door as she peeked in. Her otou-san had his arms wrapped around her from behind as they lay on top of her big belly, and he was whispering in her ear. She could feel a giggle come on; they just looked so kawaii together, especially now that her okaa-san was pregnant. She began to tip-toe over to where they were, fully intent on scaring them but before she could make it one foot near them, her otou-san spun around and picked her up in her arms, spinning her in the air, while she laughed a beautiful mirthful laugh.
So are you ready for our big outing today? We will be going everywhere, and anywhere you want. So come on get ready before your okaa-san decides to not let us go anywhere.” He placed down his musume and watched her run up the stairs to her room. He was going to make sure today was an unforgettable day for her.
Kagome was ready within ten minutes and was pulling her otou-san out the door. She was eager, and she wasn't going to let anybody think otherwise. They were walking down the streets of Tokyo when all of a sudden Kagome saw her otou-san stop to talk to a lady. He turned to her and told her to go somewhere while they talked, and since she never doubted her otou-san's word she went off in search of a place to go play. After about one hour of going in and out of stores, Kagome decided to go check on her otou-san. She went back to the place where she had left him, but he wasn't there, so she started to look for him in nearby stores and restaurants. She happened to be walking by one particularly expensive restaurant when she looked in the window, and there he was kissing the woman passionately. She dropped all the things that she had bought for him and herself, but mostly him and stared at the image in front of her eyes.
She couldn't understand how he could be doing this when her okaa-san was about to give birth in a month or so. How could he have done this to her okaa? How could he have sent her off on her birthday to do this? How could he betray them like that? She was crying freely, she had never cried on her birthday before, not even when no one would come to her parties. But she couldn't help it, her otou-san was cheating on her okaa-san, she was not an ignorant child, she knew what was what in this world. Before she knew it her otou looked out the window and stopped all movement, all he did was stare at her teary sapphire eyes, so much like his own, with surprise, shock, and horror. He saw her look down at the things she had obviously been carrying and run off as fast as her five year old legs would take her. He quickly got out of his seat and ran after her out the door.
She was heading into a deep forest, one she had never been into before, for her and her otou would always go enjoy the beauty of the world, and had been in a lot of forests. She could see it was getting dark because the trees were thick and covered the light. But she ran on, which she know regretted it, as she thought of it. `I should just turn back right now. At least then I can be able to tell my okaa… but if I do, will they separate? What do I do? Why on my birthday, why me, why?' So lost was she in her mind that she never noticed the eyes that were starting to follow her every movement. Out of nowhere, a very big and odd man appeared in her view, blocking her path any further. She turned around to go back but was only met with another odd man in her way. They started to say something, but until this day she never knew what exactly, except for the words “Shikon no Tama… your otou… protect you…” that was all she heard or can recall. Then her otou appeared and pushed her behind him, when the two strange men pounced on him. There was a huge fight, but in the end her otou came out victorious, except for the fact that he had a huge gapping hole in his chest.
She looked up to him with concern and fear in her eyes but it was replaced by sadness when she heard his last words to her. “Kagome, you are at fault for this. You should have just waited for me somewhere. You are the one who will have to carry this on your conscious and I hope that you never find happiness, no matter what you do. You should suffer everything that happened to me because of you ten fold.” And with that his eyes went blank and he fell into the dirt.

Kagome clutched her aching heart tighter and was breathing heavily, tears like waterfalls on her face. She could hear the words echoing in the barrier, repeating themselves each time harsher and crueler in her ears. Why was the past coming to haunt her now? Hadn't she gotten over this already, hadn't she forgotten this pat of her life? She closed her eyes tight and willed the pain in her heart to go away. She had forgiven her otou-san along time ago, the same time her okaa-san forgave her.
 
So she just wanted to be able to forget again. She willed the memories to die down into that small space in her mind that she had created especially for memories like that one. She wasn't paying attention to what was going on around her so she never noticed when the barrier fell and they were in a clearing near the middle of the Western Lands, where as they were just in the Eastern Lands a second ago. Kagome just sat there eyes closed, tears rolling down her face, and still clutching her aching heart. All of a sudden she was pulled into an embrace by strong yet soothing arms, she started at the feel of them, but soon relaxed into them and clutched onto the hario (sp?) of whoever it was, which she was soon recognizing as Miroku.
 
She buried her face in his chest for a while mourning, but snapped out of it when she felt his hands lower, but to her surprise they stopped on the small of her back as the other wrapped around her waist as it hoisted her up. When she looked up into his face she could see the compassion, regret, and pain on it as he turned his gaze back on her. He let her go and motioned for her to follow him, which she did, since she knew that they had to get a move on to reach where ever they were going. But as soon as they started walking, trying to catch up with Sesshomaru, he went next to her and pulled her to him so they were walking side by side with his hand rubbing soothing circles on her back and his head lying on top of hers. She felt surprised but was too depressed to care, so they walked on.
They walked on for what seemed like days, which it was actually eight hours, when finally found a clearing and stopped under a tree, signifying they could rest. They gladly set down their equipment to make camp, which surprised Kagome to see that Miroku was going to help. After the fire had been set and the food eaten, they set down their futons to go to sleep, but Kagome was kind of wary because he set himself down next to her, not close but not far enough for her liking. But she let it slide and went to sleep, hoping the darkness would not make way for nightmares like she used to get when she remembered…