InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Letters... ❯ Letter Four: Sleeping Over ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I don’t know if the spacing is going to come out this time but I am not trying to fix it again and again so it’s staying whichever way this try makes it.

Sorry about this but there are a lot of Disclaimer’s this time before I can get on with the story...
************************************************************** *************************************
Disclaimer 1: I make no profit from this story because they aren’t my characters to own. However the story is based on a short story idea that is mine.
***************************************************************** **********************************
Disclaimer 2: There is a very very brief mention of The Left Hand of Darkness. Yeah it’s a novel. (a science fiction in case your interested at all.) And if you haven’t already guess.... which you all probably have... I don’t own it. I do own a copy of the book but I didn’t write it, that would be Ursula K. Le Guin. I only mentioned it because... well the area with the ‘notes’ is actually a few notes from some of my classes last semester.
************************************************************* **************************************
Disclaimer 3 to5: I mention a lot of Children Literature in this chapter. They can all be found in their own separate books or in Classics of Children’s Literature, a large book filled with children stories. So, yeah they do not belong to me and the owners of such works are as follows:
Charles Perrault: Blue Beard and The Master Cat also known as Puss in Boots
Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit
Brother’s Grim: Snow White, The Frog Prince , Rapunzel, and Sleeping Beauty
**************************************************************** ***********************************
Letter Four – Sleeping Over
Let it be known that for all who hear this tale it will not be your last.

Death awaits all who do not look for it and all who are afraid. Yet there is time for those who are not prepared to come into the light and witness all that will be and all that has passed.

Asking, begging, ‘please save the thing that you hold dear to your heart.’

The man in The Left Hand of Darkness is completely unaware of the things that will come to pass.

Keeping pushing until the end when there is nothing left for you to do. Never give up for that is not what we believe in.

Each stanza, each verse, written with a purpose. Read closely to hear, see, smell, taste, and feel what is written in these words.

Everything is not yet awake. There is a lot of reference to the natural world within these lines.

Kagome sighed. Her notes from her classes were becoming more and more confusing each weekend. Her time with Rin was great, but she never really remembered the things she was suppose to be doing. Her school work was becoming more and more difficult to complete on time. Her schedule allowed her to take short classes on the weekends and complete the work during the weekdays. But the woman was now falling behind since she had spent more and more time with the little girl.

I guess now that her father is here she will stop asking me to stay for dinner. At least I will come home and be able to get things done. Kagome mentally told herself. But that wasn’t going to solve her note problem. With the lack of sleep she didn’t pay attention in class last weekend. The small tidbits that she did write down made no sense what so ever. It was like she took notes on the things that weren’t important at all.

“Ugh....what am I going to do?” Kagome asked herself while picking up a few other sheets with random bits of information from her other literature classes. She wasn’t sure anymore why she decided to major in languages. But it was too late to change things since she didn’t want to have to take another three or four years of school. Besides she did enjoy the course even if she was frustrated half the time now days. The woman’s head spun when she thought about the work she was going to have to complete in one week’s time. Thinking about a certain essay she was going to write gave her an idea. Maybe during the time Rin studied she could too. Then she would be able to help Rin when needed and also complete her own work. Besides Rin was asking her a lot about what the woman did in school.

With that decided, she picked up her books and bag and headed out of the door. Thankfully her apartment was only a twenty minute walk from the university. Or a ten minute bus ride when she was feeling lazy or rushed. Though she did had sit in class all day on the weekends, there was only two more years of this and she was free.

“Please read the stories on your list for the next class. It may be a lot, but they are short,” the small woman in glasses spoke to the class of a hundred or so students.

They were getting into children’s literature and it appeared to be a lot of work. Most of the stories were well known, but they were supposed to ‘freshen’ their minds. Unfortunately Kagome didn’t even own one of them. Not anymore anyways.

“Children Reading List: Blue Beard, The Master Cat, Peter Rabbit, Snow White, The Frog Prince... damn this list is long,” Kagome muttered walking from the class. “I can’t afford all these yet.”

Her check would be in soon, but not soon enough. She would have to come up with a solution. One that would hopefully be cheap. Even if she waited to buy the books later the only time she could get them would be the weekends but the list was due by next Saturday. A few of the stories like Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty seemed familiar and she thought she had seen them somewhere before, recently.

Her next class didn’t go so smoothly because of her worry about getting the books. It was mid-way through that she remembered the titles she skimmed through in the library each time she and Rin went there. For lessons and leisure reasons. If she played her cards right she might be able read the books with Rin or ask to borrow them for a night. She could find out on Monday but she didn’t want to appear to be manipulating the girl she was watching so Kagome was going to have to ask Kaede. Although the older woman had mentioned she wouldn’t be there any longer on the weekdays, except certain occasions so that left her asking her boss. Maybe she would just borrow them from the library. She hoped they had them all.

Kagome swallowed the lump in her throat that formed when she thought about her boss. She didn’t fear him but he wasn’t the easiest to be around. The few minutes last night told her that much. She hadn’t bothered to think much about him at all since she got home but now her mind drifted as the professor droned on about 18th century poets. Sesshomaru wasn’t bad looking but she would never consider the guy for a date. He was rich and that was nice but the rich were snobbish and pig head. They believe money bought everything, including feelings. No, the woman had decided that any man she had, wealth or no wealth, would love her and show her love, not through money. He would have intense feelings for her and only her, never even thinking about cheating on her for another. Of course this was a day dream and would never happen for she would never let a man near her but she was allowed to wish and she knew the common habits of the rich. So this left Sesshomaru out of the question and surprisingly there was no feelings of regret or wanting for him. Even with his good looks. Now hopefully he wasn’t one of the employers who hit on his employees. Cause she wouldn’t put up with such nonsense.

Her eyes shifted from the professor in the pit of the lecture theatre below to her notes. They were no better then the ones she had looked over this morning. A few random words to look up and a mixture of points that didn’t make sense together. She was going to have to try extra hard for her exams coming up in a few weeks. Then she would be free to be careless for nearly four months. She couldn’t wait but first she had to get through her history of language class.

There were a couple of girls whispering behind her. She couldn’t tell what they were saying exactly but it was driving her insane. Things were not going well. Finally an hour and a half later she was able to get out of her last class and head home. The first time she was going to do was take a long hot bath. So she picked up her pace and when she entered her apartment building she ran up the steps to the door.

There was a slight change to her plans. The minute she opened the door her phone rang, so instead of heading to the bathroom she headed to her small living room/bedroom.

“Hello, Higurashi residence,” her breath came out in a huff from her short exercise up the flights of the stairs.

I was hoping you would be home before I left,” a voice came through the receiver in an echo. It was Kaede and by the sounds of it she was still at the mansion.

“What’s up Kaede?” Kagome had slowly lost all formality around the older woman who didn’t show a care for her actions. She held the attitude of being professional the few times she had talked to Mr. Dom.

Trouble has occurred in a way. There will be no one here on Monday morning until after lunch. I have a funeral to attend to an old friend has passed on,” the woman’s voice cracked a little at this comment.

“Oh Kaede, I am so sorry to hear that. I know what it is like to lose someone close to you. Please accept my condolences,” the young woman replied with all honesty.

Ah, well we are all getting on in the years so it is expected. I only called to ask if you could come earlier that morning. Mr. Taisho must leave at five and he won’t want to leave Rin home alone,” there was an almost desperate note in her question.

“Kaede, I want nothing more then to, but I just can’t. The buses aren’t running around there at that time.”

If I send a driver... wait I can’t do that he’s off in the mornings. Hmm... can you hold for a minute Kagome?” the older woman was up to something and the young woman could tell that.

“Sure,” she wanted a bath but it looked like it would have to wait.

She listened intently at the sounds coming through the phone. There was a soft click. Kaede had put down the receiver. Then there was giggling that the woman identified as Rin. She could hear the phone being picked up again before the child excitedly shouted into the phone.

Good evening Kagome!!” this was followed by more giggling.

“Good evening Rin. How are you?” Kagome looked to the clock out of habit. It was close to 10:00 and normally Rin was put to bed at this time. “Are you supposed to be in bed?” She had a lesson for an hour or two on Sunday mornings.

Nope, dad is letting me stay up. Sensei is unable to make it tomorrow. Kagome are you coming over tomorrow?”

The young woman could just imagine the child jumping up in down with the phone in her hand against her ear. “Tomorrow is Sunday Rin. I work on Monday.”

But Kaede is asking my dad about you coming over tomorrow so you can watch me before he goes to work,” Kagome just knew the old woman was up to something. People for some reason tended to not tell her the things that were going on. Especially if they involved her own person.

“I don’t know. I have to go to the library and shopping for books. I have a project and such that I need to work on. I also have class Rin.”

You can do that here. We have a library remember. I will ask dad if you can use the books.”

“No, Rin that’s....” something muffled the sound through the phone, leaving Kagome to believe the child had put her hand over the speaker part of the phone.

The voice of the little girl could still be heard though. “Dad can I have a sleep over with Kagome? Can she come over tomorrow night and use some of the books in the library? She has class tomorrow and she doesn’t have a car, can we pick her up?” there was a voice Kagome couldn’t hear or make out in any way for it was too far away.

Then there was a giggle and a shout. Apparently Rin got her answer.

Give it here Rin,” the voice was closer and the young woman could hear the same chilliness as last night.

No, I want to tell her,” Rin came back onto the phone at the same time as her remark.

Kagome guess what. Dad said yes. You will stay here tomorrow night. Then you can use our library okay?” the child was enjoying this too much.

“Rin I really don’t want to be a burden to your family put Kaede back on. Rin? Rin?” There was no answer and then suddenly an unexpected voice spoke to her.

Kaede isn’t here she had to catch a flight. How long do your classes go for?” how could a person be so emotionless? The sound sent shivers down her back. It was like he was unable to show he cared. But he did, he had to, if he took such care of Rin.

“Sesshomaru-sama I’m sorry. I couldn’t stop her, but I will catch a cab so you don’t have to worry about anything. I’ll be there at five,” she didn’t want to upset Rin but she didn’t want a bad impression with her boss either. Besides whoever heard of a nanny sleeping over?

Rin go to bed,” Sesshomaru directed to the little girl. There was a few seconds of silence and Kagome was about to say her goodbyes when he spoke up. “I have heard of your ways,” that’s all he said and at first and the woman wasn’t sure if this was a good thing or something he would fire her for. “Rin is not one to take to a person so quickly. Thus far, you are the exception of course. I was not expecting to see her getting along with a woman she has just met, but all I have heard from Rin since I got back is things you have done with her. I will not have you disappointing my daughter Miss Higurashi. When are you finished your last class?”

“Umm...” she wanted to fight back but for the sake of Rin she wanted to give in. Her mind fought between the two for mere seconds. “I normally don’t get home till six on Sundays.”

I will pick you up at six thirty be packed and ready.”

There was no time for Kagome to reply as there was a click on the other end of the phone, ending the conversation. It astounded her that after all these years she could still get herself in the strangest of messes. “I guess I have no choice,” the woman spoke to the phone now telling herself she should hang up and try to call again. She hung up the phone and walked to her bed. There were things she should do before tomorrow so she didn’t rush herself but she wanted time to think.

What her boss had told her played through her mind. She was aware that Rin was slightly shy when it came to people. Once there was a delivery boy who was dropping of a package for the child. Kagome had noticed that the small girl hesitated before taking the box and running to the living room. However, she never thought about Rin’s attitude towards her. They were both so comfortable with each other it seemed natural, like it was meant to be. The words from her phone conversation had her thinking about the first time they met. In the park Rin wasn’t too shy when talking to her. On Kagome’s first day of work the child was also comfortable with her. The woman had a hard time believe that she was the only one that Rin was so comfortable with. Though, her father would know her better especially since he wasn’t the type to ignore his child. So what made Rin so easygoing around Kagome, but not others?

There was a growing list of mysteries Kagome was going to have to figure out. Starting with the letter she had received that began it all. For now, all the woman wanted was a hot bath, then she could pack and go to sleep before her seven in the morning class.

The class was three long hours. Thankfully it was her last class. She couldn’t stop fretting about that night. Normally she was a person who went with the flow. Her gut instinct was what told her to go with something or not. It was never wrong. At least not yet. This time her instinct told her things were going to change. She wasn’t able to tell if this was a good or bad thing. It wasn’t like she had much of a choice at the moment though. She didn’t want to lose her job, she loved watching over Rin. Plus it was a request from her boss for Rin’s sake. Kagome was at the disadvantage of wanting to ensure that Rin was safe and happy. It was true the woman had learned when to say no and put her foot down, but if she could make the girl happy she would.

“We will begin our group discussions. Today we’ll discuss the ideas of propaganda seen in this piece of literature,” the professor explained.

Kagome liked independent work more then group work when it came to her classes. However she had managed to meet a few people she could talk with. So finding a group wasn’t an issue seeing that they worked together every week in the same class. This time she probably would be a fair group member for many reasons. First on the list was her inability to concentrate on her work so far.

“Hey Kagome,” Sara, sitting close by, waved to catch her attention while moving closer. “Joining our group again?”

“Of course,” the woman replied.

“Kay so what do you think?” Sara asked.

“About what?”

“The play of course,” Jeri cut into the discussion while moving to seats to sit closer to the group.

“Oh yeah, well... I don’t really understand all of it,” Kagome said sheepishly.

“You didn’t read it all, did you?” Matt said as he sat down in the group, he was the brainy one of the group. He was the last person of their small group.

“I did... up to scene ten...act one that is,” Kagome chuckled nervously, “Sorry guys, I was really buys this week. New job.”

The blonde haired girl became excited about the news, “Where do you work? Is it fun?” Sara bounced closer in her seat sp they could whisper amongst each other.

“I’m working as a nanny for this rich family. The little girl I watch is cute and I guess my job is fun in a sense,” she replied, if she didn’t then the blonde would only nag her, meaning no work would be completed.

“Wow, you’re so lucky,” Sara said in awe.

“Come on you girls. We have work to do,” Matt interrupted, not only was he the smartest one of the four, but also the one to make sure the group finished their work before the gossiping.

“Yeah, yeah,” Sara sighed while opening her notebook.

The group finished their assigned activity. After each group summarized their findings, the class took a break for twenty minutes. Kagome chose not to go back for the last part and instead said her goodbyes then left the building.

She arrived home forty-five minutes before she would be picked up. Her things had been packed last night. Getting out of class early would allow her to grab a shower. She took her time pampering herself for the first time in a while. She was about to head to the kitchen when the phone rang. Most people knew she had classes and didn’t bother calling her until late.

“Higurashi residence.”

Kagome you are home!” a child’s voice screamed through the line.

“Yeah I finished class a little early.”

We are going out for dinner, so don’t eat. Oh and dress pretty. Wear something blue, like me, so we can match!” Rin’s voice lowered and rose with her excitement. Her last sentence was the loudest of all.

“Okay, where are we going?” hopefully, it was in her price range, but she doubted it for some reason.

It’s a surprise. See you soon!

“Wait Rin... Rin?...” the woman hung up the phone. It was hard to talk to the child when she was excited.

Now that Kagome was expected to eat dinner, her plans of eating a snack were changed. She also had to change again.

The woman’s closet was filled with clothes. The same could be said about her dresser, night stand, and the trunk at the end of her day bed. She was a pack rat when it came to clothes, only throwing out the ones will too many holes, too worn out, or torn. Since she wasn’t growing anymore she never worried about them not fitting. Whenever Kagome shopped for new clothes she would just add to her collection. At times like this one, she was glad she kept everything. With her wardrobe ranging from grubby to dressy and causal to formal, she didn’t have to worry about not having anything to wear.

Kagome settled on a midnight blue sun dress, with the top a little lighter in color then the hem at her knees. The straps were string thin on her shoulders, but the garment modestly covered her chest, only lowering in the back to show off her shoulder blades. She added a little natural-colored make-up to her attire and a pair of low black heels. Pulling her wallet into a purse to match her outfit, she heard the buzz warning her she had visitors at the front entrance.

The woman pressed the button to let her reply to the guest below, “I’ll be right down,”

“Wait Kagome! I want to see your home,” Rin’s voice cried out.

“Okay just a second, I will release the door,” the woman pressed the button to unlock the door letting her visitors in. Kagome opened her apartment door and waited in the hall.

A few seconds later the young woman could hear small footsteps climbing the stairs and excitingly call to her father, Rin rounded the corner, saw her nanny, and launched her small body into the air to tackle the woman in a hug. Luckily Kagome had practice and could now manage to catch the small child without tumbling to the ground.

“Good evening Rin,” Kagome greeted the child.

Rin smiled to her, “Good evening. So, this is where you live?” the small girl let herself in to look around the small apartment. “Are you living here all alone?”

“Yep,” the woman moved from the door as Sesshomaru arrived. She was still not sure about the man known as her boss.

The silver hair man eyed the surroundings closely. He had never really stepped into a living space that was so small. Neither had his daughter.

“Kagome, it’s so small. My room is bigger then this place. Don’t you want to move somewhere with more space?”

This was not a question she was expecting but she answered it anyway. “No, I’m comfortable here. I don’t mind it at all,” it was the truth. She was completely content where she lived. It was a place away from her family, a place to get away from the outside world, a place of her very own.

“Oh,” Rin expressed out loud before thinking: I hope you’re not too comfortable here. I guess I don’t have to worry too much though. How can she deny living in our house? However, thinking that far down the plan would be getting ahead of herself. First she had to explain to her father that they were going to dinner tonight. After all, she had invited her nanny and Kagome was dress just as she asked, in blue, the exact shade that Rin’s blouse and skirt were. It was her father’s favorite color.

“Come on Kagome let’s go,” Rin tugged at the woman’s arm to pull her to the door where a duffel bag was laying. Kagome picked it up but before she could swing it on her shoulder it was taken from her. Sesshomaru shouldered the bag.

“I need to lock up first Rin,” Kagome waited until Sesshomaru and his daughter were in the hall to lock the door. Her thoughts wondering if it was normal for the man to not even utter a syllable, “Kay, I’m ready.”

They were just outside of the building when Rin turned to the young woman with puppy eyes, “Will you sit in the back seat with me?”

“Sure,” the woman replied with a smile. The child held out her hand to hold Kagome’s.

“Yay,” the little girl began to skip dragging the woman to follow her lead, who was happy to oblige.

They all entered the car. Kagome feared putting her finger prints on the expensive and extremely clean looking surface but didn’t have to when Sesshomaru opened the door for the girls. Rin jumped in first and slid to the other side before Kagome got it. The door was closed behind them. Sesshomaru then walked around to the driver seat. Kagome’s bag was deposited on the passenger seat before he moved out of the parking lot.

“Dad, let’s go to dinner,” Rin began her next phase of her plan.

“We will eat at home Rin,” he stated dryly.

“But daddy, can’t we take Kagome out? I told her we would.”

The woman was confused. Rin had told her on the phone they were already planning to go to dinner. “Rin you didn’t tell anyone you were calling earlier did you?”

Rin wanted to smirk at how fast her nanny had caught on. She held in the smile and looked to Kagome. “I forgot. I’m sorry,” she said in a small voice.

Sesshomaru was silent but Kagome looked to the girl and decided the idea of not going out for diner was a good idea.

“Rin, why don’t we make dinner together instead. Like that time a few nights ago.”

“Really? Dad can we make dinner,” Rin clung to the back of his seat; Kagome couldn’t help but giggle at the excitement of the little girl. One minute she could be very quiet the next she was bouncing off walls.

“Hn,” Sesshomaru took a turn and glanced at Rin through the rearview mirror, “Sit down Rin and tighten your seatbelt.”

Rin sat back and tighten her seatbelt. “What are we going to make?” she asked turning to the person sitting next to her.

“I haven’t thought about that yet.”

“Something spicy. Please? Please?” the girl clasped her hands together, begging with her lip sticking out in a pout like fashion.

“Okay, I like spicy and I’m good at cooking spicy things so, something spicy it is.”

Rin grinned to show her gratitude to the woman but she was secretly thinking about how great it was that they didn’t go out. Her father loved spicy things and if she cook something he enjoyed he was sure to start thinking about her. Well at least her food. Hopefully.

What the girl didn’t know was her father was already thinking about the woman in the back seat. His eyes gazed at her for a few seconds here and there. He couldn’t get over the fact that she had, pretty much, completely ignored him. She acknowledged him but she did little more then that. Her full attention was on Rin. Which was another thing he thought about. Why was Rin so attached to this woman, and so quickly at that?

It didn’t bother him, he was glad that his child was socializing a bit more. However he was interested in how this woman was able to do when no other person, from doctors to therapists, could. His eyes flickered back to the mirror where he saw the woman teaching Rin a clapping game. His eyes quickly averted back to the road before she looked up.


************************************************************************

Ja ne
Angelic Memories
© 2008