InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.

Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter 7


Across Town

“Kagura, has she been discharged from the hospital yet?”

“Yes, Naraku,” Kagura replied, avoiding his handsome face.

Naraku smiled and tapped his fingers on the windowsill. Everything was going according to plan. If he could get her away from her house long enough he’d be able to settle things. He knew her every move. He had people watching her to let him know where she was at all times.

I will avenge you, Father. Naraku thought as he admired the woman glaring at the wall. The abandoned warehouse wasn’t the most luxurious place to set up his plan, but he knew no one would ever find it. That and he loved the depressing aura inhabiting the warehouse. This was where his father had… No, he wouldn’t think about that now. He had too much to prepare for.

“Kagura, on with the next phase. Did you do what I told you?” he asked.

Kagura glanced at Naraku. “Of course. The box has been rigged. They’ll be chosen for the leads in-”

“That will be all, Kagura. Leave me,” he growled.

Kagura scowled before exiting the warehouse. She hated that place. She hated that man. He had a sick sense of justice.


Miroku’s House

Rin woke up to the sound of shutting drawers and mumbled curses. She rolled over on her side and hesitantly opened her eyes. She could barely make out Miroku’s hunched figure.

“Miro, you all right?” she whispered, stifling a yawn.

“I didn’t mean to wake you. I’m fine. Just jammed my fingers in my stupid drawer,” he said.

Rin giggled and sat up, confused when she couldn’t find Kagome or Sango.

“It’s morning, Rinny. They left last night. You were out cold and they didn’t want to wake you. I have to finish getting ready for school. If you need to go anywhere, I had B drop off some of your things. They’re in the suitcase by the door,” Miroku said.

Rin felt the bed sink down and jumped when Miroku took her hand.

“Are you feeling okay, Rinny?”

“Yeah, much better,” she said. “My stomach is still sore and I’ve got a bid of a headache, but otherwise I’m back to normal. I’ll get ready real quick and go with you.” Rin threw the sheets back and maneuvered to get out of bed.

Miroku frowned and pushed her back against the pillows. “Oh no you don’t. The doctor said you need at least a week before you even think about going to school again,” he scolded while tucking the blankets under her chin.

Rin sighed in exasperation and threw them off again. “Miroku, I’m going to school. If you say “no” again I’ll just wait until you leave and get ready. May as well let me get ready and walk with you now instead of letting me go by myself,” she said as she walked over to her suitcase.

Miroku sighed in defeat and helped her lift the suitcase on his bed. “Well, if you’re going to be that way about it then you won’t mind if I turn the light on now,” he grumbled.

Rin blinked in irritation as she waited for her eyes to adjust to the light. She unzipped the suitcase and pulled out a suitable outfit before turning to Miroku and staring at him impatiently.

“What now?” he asked.

Rin pointed to the door, the other hand placed firmly against her hip.

“You’ve got to be kidding me?” he said.

Rin pointed at the door with more fervor and Miroku rolled his eyes.

“Kicked out of my own room,” he grumbled as he shut the door behind him.

A few minutes later, Rin met him in the kitchen with a bright smile. He glared at her before throwing an apple in her direction. He was glad to admit she looked much better than she did a few days ago. He didn’t know how she managed to heal so quickly; he guessed she was used to the abuse.

Rin managed to cover the cut on her cheek and the hideous bruise around her neck, but the side of her face was still a little puffy and sore from her father’s hard hit. She glared at her reflection in the hall mirror and swung her backpack over her shoulder. “C’mon Miro, we’re going to be late meeting the girls,” she called as she stepped out of the house. Rin inhaled deeply, loving the smell of the trees and freshly mowed grass. It rained last night and a heavy fog hung in the air. A black sports car drove past Miroku’s house and her breath hitched.

Sesshomaru… Rin thought sadly. Her heart ached as she thought of her handsome partner. No, I won’t let him do this to me anymore. I was stupid to think anything the first time around. He won’t make a fool of me again.

The door behind her slammed shut and Miroku brushed past her. She released the breath she hadn’t realized she was holding and started off after him. Sango and Kagome were anything but happy to see her when she walked up with Miroku. They scolded her for going to school and demanded she turn back and rest. Rin ignored them and continued on, disregarding the pain she felt in her stomach.

School wasn’t nearly as bad as she thought it would be. No one even seemed to notice her absence. Well… everyone but Ayame. The frantic woman had nearly thrown herself on Rin and bombarded her with question after question.

At least I know her concern is genuine. Rin thought happily. Her good spirits fell dramatically at the mention of her history partner. Rin promptly silenced Ayame and told her not to make any more remarks about the dog demon. Rin worried she was too harsh when Ayame’s smile faded, but then the bell rang and Rin was grateful for the impeccable timing. She bid Ayame farewell, jogging to make it to her first class on time.

Miroku and Sango were already seated and she made it just before the tardy bell rang. Her teacher rolled his eyes to show his disapproval.

“Ah, Rin. So lovely to have you back in class with us,” he said.

Rin’s face heated up when the entire class turned to stare at her. She tensed when she felt a certain amber gaze linger.

“Alright students, this is the last day you have in class to work on your projects. Get to work.”

Rin turned to Miroku and Sango, smiling when she saw Sango blush when Miroku pushed his desk closer to hers. She heard someone clear their throat above her. Rin hardened her features before looking up at Sesshomaru; her anger and sense of betrayal was the only thing keeping her from admiring his perfect face.

Sesshomaru bent to his knees and rested his arms on her desk, intent on getting some answers. “Is everything all right now?” he asked.

“Fine,” she replied.

Sesshomaru frowned. She hadn’t used that tone with him in a long time. He frowned when he noticed her heavy makeup and baggy clothes. Back to her former self. He thought.

Rin continued to glare at Sesshomaru, waiting for him to try and explain what happened between him and Kagura.

“Why were you absent? And when do you want to finish the project? I did what I could, but I’m not sure how to finish it,” he said.

Figures, all he cares about is the stupid project. Rin thought angrily. “It’s none of your business why I was absent. I’ll come by and pick it up. I can finish it on my own,” she said. Rin didn’t want to be around Sesshomaru any more than she had to.

Sesshomaru’s brows furrowed in annoyance. Rin was being difficult, even hateful. Sesshomaru had saved her life and she didn’t appear to be the least bit thankful. “This is a group project. We work on it together.”

“I said I’ll finish it! You did the written work. It’s a fair split.”

Sesshomaru stared at the suddenly unfamiliar girl. He tried to find the innocent, blushing beauty he had come to know and growled in frustration when he failed. Rin put up a wall, and it seemed like she’d never let him back in.

“Fine, have it your way.”

Rin’s eyes widened at his response. Sesshomaru had just given up.

“You’re acting strangely, Rin. What happened?” he asked.

Is he serious?! She thought as her face turned red from anger. She looked away from him, not wanting to cause a scene. “Just leave me alone.”

“Not until you tell me what’s going on.”

“I said just leave me alone!” Rin screamed in his face before running out of the classroom.

The teacher jumped up and yelled after her, but Sesshomaru held up a clawed hand and followed her out. Thankfully she hadn’t gone very far. She was huddled against her locker, trembling from her overwhelming emotions.

“Rin,” Sesshomaru called.

She turned angrily to face him. “What do you want?” she cried, exasperated.

“I want you to tell me what’s wrong with you,” Sesshomaru replied calmly.

Rin threw her hands in the air and turned away from him again. Sesshomaru stepped forward and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t you touch me!” Rin screeched as she shrank away from the surprised demon, catching him off guard when her hand collided with his face. The resounding slap echoed through the empty halls. Rin’s breath came out in ragged gasps as she recovered from her outburst. Her stomach was sending unbelievable pain through her entire body.

Sesshomaru’s nostrils flared and he turned violent amber eyes on her. Before Rin could blink she was thrown against the locker, Sesshomaru’s claws nearly cutting into her throat. Her eyes widened in terror as memories of her latest beating flashed in the back of her mind.

“You will not lay a hand on me,” he snarled.

Rin’s eyes narrowed, anger taking place of her fear. “I’ll leave that to Kagura,” she said through clenched teeth.

So that’s what this is all about. He thought as he released her. A bruise formed around her throat, surprising the demon with its rapid appearance. He backed away, guilt eating at his insides as Rin’s knees gave way and she fell to the tiled floor. Rin glared up at him, hate coiling in her dark brown eyes. Sesshomaru turned away from the angry woman on the floor and disappeared inside the classroom.

Miroku and Sango came running out shortly after he went back inside. They helped Rin stand and Sango re-covered the bruise around her throat with some of her makeup. They knew not to ask what had happened. Rin appreciated their silence, not trusting herself to speak about the terrifying experience. At that moment, Sesshomaru reminded her so much of her father.

The teacher gave Rin a questioning glance when she walked back in but decided to let it go. The girl looked like she had suffered enough, and he knew anyone would have to have been deaf not to hear the fight that transpired between the two. The bell finally ran and Rin slowly made her way to art class. For the first time in her life, she didn’t feel like creating. Even the smell of the art supplies made her stomach turn.

The rest of the day went the same way. Her final class finally rolled around and she walked sluggishly toward drama. It was the only other time she saw Sesshomaru during the day, but she never interacted with him because they worked in different groups. Today, she learned they were picking parts for the upcoming school play.

Romeo and Juliet, how fitting. Rin thought as she chewed on the end of her pencil.

Their drama teacher stepped onto the stage and bowed dramatically. Two black boxes were brought out from behind the curtain and set up on a table. The teacher stepped behind them and motioned for the light to be turned on.

“As you all know, we will be producing Romeo and Juliet. We’re going to pick roles a little differently this time. This way you all have a chance at getting picked and improving your acting skills. Now! In these boxes are slips of paper with each of your names on it. I will pick a name and tell you who you will be playing. The first male and female chosen will have the lead roles. Now, let us begin,” he exclaimed.

Rin rolled her eyes. At least I know there’s only a fraction of a chance my name will get picked. She thought.

“And the first name is…” he said as he shuffled his hand around in the first box, “Rin! Congratulations! You will be playing Juliet.”

Rin groaned and sank into her chair.

“And it appears Sesshomaru will be playing our love-struck Romeo!”

Rin froze. Did life hate her that much? She knew Sesshomaru was staring at her, but she refused to return the gesture. She folded her arms across her chest and pouted, sinking lower in the chair as the rest of the cast was chosen.

“Well done, Kagura,” Naraku whispered from the rafters. Everything was set up perfectly. He would make sure Sesshomaru found out about Rin’s father. He wanted her to suffer as much as humanly possible before he finished her off. He wanted her to regret ever being born. Not that she already doesn’t… he thought with pleasure.