InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Tough Get a Helmet ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.


Life’s Tough Get a Helmet
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter Nine

Rin sighed as Mr. Ito, the drama teacher, waved his arms tragically before her and Sesshomaru. It was the second day of rehearsals and Rin was getting irritated with her over-the-top instructor.

“You must be more passionate, Rin! Let the emotions of Juliet flow through you. We must think you’ve fallen desperately in love,” Mr. Ito cried.

Rin glared at her feet and ignored the dog demon across from her. Sesshomaru had been a saint, though she couldn’t figure out why. His patience seemed endless and he treated her gently despite her behavior towards him a few days ago.

“Sorry Mr. Ito, I’ll try again.”

“Good! Now, from the top!”

Rin took a step back and looked Sesshomaru in the eyes. She was surprised by how well he acted. Every word fell from his lips with poetic grace and conveyed so much emotion even she was nearly brought to tears. Mr. Ito broke down and sobbed a few times. She wondered if the play allowed him to express feelings he otherwise held back. A sharp clap indicated Mr. Ito was seated and waiting for them to begin.

“If I profane with my unworthiest hand this holy shrine, the gentle fine is this: My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss,” Sesshomaru began. He moved toward Rin and took her hands between his, making the young woman blush.

Rin smiled delicately and let her adoration shine unhindered through her large, chocolate eyes. “Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this; For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.”

“Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?” Sesshomaru asked, brushing a clawed hand across her cheek.

Rin shivered under his sweet caress. “Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer,” she whispered.

“O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do; They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.”

“Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.”

“Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take. Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged,” Sesshomaru breathed.

Rin’s eyes widened as Sesshomaru’s head dipped toward her own. This would be her first kiss, in front of a crowd of people and a sobbing drama teacher. Her heart fluttered in her chest, but Rin didn’t want it to be this way. Sesshomaru felt her hesitation and pressed his hand against the nape of her neck. Rin’s head tilted back instinctively and her eyelids fluttered. She would have given herself to him if he hadn’t flattened his hand against her back and pulled her against him. Pain shot up her spine as he put pressure on her recent injuries. Rin cried out and pushed away from him.

The beating her father gave her just the other night had left long, ugly bruises up her lower back. Rin ignored the strange look from Sesshomaru and the heart-broken Mr. Ito. She immediately straightened and recovered her composure.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Ito. I’ve had about all I can stand for today,” Rin said before running off the stage.

Sesshomaru growled and clenched his fists before taking off after her. He followed her scent to her locker and found her stuffing her backpack with books.

“Rin,” he said.

At the sound of his voice, Rin jumped and dropped her bag. Everything scattered on the floor and she groaned and bent to gather it again. Sesshomaru knelt down to help and inhaled her scent. It soothed him and he nodded when she voiced her thanks.

“Rin, why do you always bolt when we get to the kissing scene?” Sesshomaru asked.

Rin blushed and looked away. “You know why,” she murmured.

“You’ve never been kissed,” he stated.

Rin nodded and leaned against her locker. “It’s bad enough I can’t swim, but I don’t even know how to kiss.”

“I can teach you.”

Rin blushed and glared at the handsome dog demon towering over her. “To kiss or swim?”

“Well, both if you’d like. But I meant I could teach you to swim.”

“I don’t know…” she whispered. As angry as she still was at him for making out with Kagura, free swimming lessons were very appealing. She looked into his eyes and saw that he was sincere in his offer and sighed. “Okay, but we have to move slow! I was traumatized after my last experience with your swimming pool.”

Sesshomaru chuckled and his smile nearly took Rin’s breath away.

“How about we start tonight? We can even rehearse a little if you want.”

Rin nodded and gathered her bag to her chest. “How about 8:00?”

“8:00 should be fine. I’ll be waiting for you, Rin,” he said before walking back to the auditorium.

Rin let out the breath she’d been holding and began her walk home.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

“But it’s just to rehearse! Mr. Ito says we need more practice. You had to know there’d be times we practiced outside of school,” Rin yelled. She was pushing it with her father, but the man was being more unreasonable than usual.

“My answer is final. I’ll not have you running around kissing boys and making a name for yourself. I never should have let you join that stupid drama class,” her father yelled before storming off to his office.

Rin screamed in frustration and stomped her foot. The act was childish, but she didn’t care. She was going to go over to Sesshomaru’s house if it killed her. With her father’s infuriating words still in her mind, she ran up to her room and pulled a small slip of paper from her dresser. Izayoi’s number was written in swirling strokes and she roughly punched the numbers in on her phone. It rang twice before Izayoi’s sweet voice greeted her.

“Hello?”

“Izayoi! It’s Rin.”

“My dear Rin! Is everything all right?”

“Yes, of course. I was just wondering if your driver could come pick me up around 7:30. Our car is in the shop and Sesshomaru invited me over.” Rin ignored the excited squeal on the other end of the line and smiled when Izayoi agreed heartily. She said goodbye and jumped up to find a bathing suit that would hide her bruises.

The task proved easier said than done and she had to settle on wearing a tight-fitting shirt over her bikini. Rin waited anxiously for another thirty minutes before going to her window and taking a deep breath. She lifted the glass and eased herself on to the roof. A metal grate reached nearly to the top of the house and vines and flowers grew up its entirety. Rin carefully swung onto it and climbed down. She ran out to the street and waited another five minutes before the familiar black car rolled up beside her. Rin ducked in and told the driver to go before settling back and finally releasing the breath she’d been holding. The drive was short and awkward and Rin wished she could have asked B to take her, but she was sure her father had forbidden the man from taking her anywhere. Rin never would have forgiven herself if she got him or any of the house staff in trouble.

The car finally came to a stop and Rin was brought out of her stupor by a loud knock on her window. She jumped and allowed the driver to open her door before slipping out and running to meet the smiling woman waiting at the door.

“Izayoi,” she breathed with a grin and wrapped her arms around the slender female.

“I’m glad you came. I heard Sesshomaru is giving you a swimming lesson,” she gushed and pulled Rin into the house.

Rin blushed and nodded while Izayoi squealed with glee. Sesshomaru appeared at the top of the staircase and leaned against the railing.

“Ready?” he asked.

“I-I just have to get changed,” Rin said.

Sesshomaru nodded and started down the stairs, two towels under his right arm. “I’ll be waiting out back,” he said as he brushed past the two women.

“You can change in the downstairs bathroom,” Izayoi said while guiding Rin to the aforementioned room.

Once the door was closed and locked behind her Rin tore off her clothes and quickly changed into the suit tucked away in her bag. She pulled the form-fitting T-shirt over her head and made sure no damaged skin was visible. By the time she made it out back, Sesshomaru was already swimming in the water. It was pitch black outside and the only lights came from within the pool. The air was thick and hot and Rin worried the water would be too cold to swim in.

“It’s heated, so don’t even try to use that as an excuse,” Sesshomaru said when he noticed her eyeing the water.

Rin jumped and opened her mouth slightly, wondering if the dog demon had the ability to read minds. Sesshomaru chuckled and beckoned her with an outstretched hand.

“Come, Rin,” he murmured as he walked closer to the submerged stairs.

Rin gulped and dropped her bag before walking over to the railing. She gripped it with white knuckles and lifted a foot to place on the first stair. She didn’t move.

Sesshomaru growled low in his throat as her foot hovered a few inches above the water. “Rin, you can’t drown through your feet.”

Rin glared at him and let her foot drop into the water. She was surprised by the warmth and slowly put her other foot in.

“Good, now come down to the next one,” Sesshomaru urged gently. He had moved closer to her now and was holding out both his arms to her.

Rin ignored the urge to leap out into his waiting arms and instead wrapped hers around the cold, metal rail. She took another step and gasped when the water went to her knee. After some more gentle coaxing from the surprisingly patient dog demon, Rin made it in to her waist without too much trouble. Sesshomaru was standing directly in front of her now and was nearly nose-to-nose with her when he urged her forward once more.

“This is the last one, Rin,” he said. “You can do it. I’m right here.”

Rin bit her lip and looked up at him with frightened eyes. Sesshomaru gave her a small smile and nodded encouragingly.

“Will you hold on to me?” she whispered.

The dog demon chuckled and placed a hand on either side of her waist and she in turn settled hers on his shoulders. He growled in satisfaction when he moved backward and Rin moved with him. Her eyes widened and her heart began to race when the water came up to her chest, but Sesshomaru’s strong hands grounded her and she felt safe to move forward.

“See, look how well you’re doing,” Sesshomaru hummed.

Rin laughed nervously and gave him a bright smile. “I’m not drowning,” she stated.

“I told you. Are you ready to start your swimming lesson now?” he asked.

“You mean this wasn’t part of it?” Rin asked.

Sesshomaru quirked his eyebrow and chuckled again. “Rin, you haven’t even started swimming yet. All you’ve done is get in the water.”

Rin blushed and looked down at the smooth skin of his muscled chest. “It certainly seemed like part of the lesson,” she mumbled.

“That’s because you took so long. Now, the most essential part of swimming is floating. Everyone should know how to float,” Sesshomaru said as he took a step away from his pupil.

Rin panicked and leapt forward; closing the gap he had created between them. Sesshomaru sighed and placed a hand on Rin’s back.

“Rin, you have to trust me. I won’t let you get hurt. I’m right here,” he said gently.

“Promise?” she asked with scared eyes.

“Promise. Here’s what I want you to do. I’m going to put one hand behind your neck, and the other on your back. You’re going to lean backwards and I’ll hold you up. Got it?” Sesshomaru asked.

Rin nodded and watched as Sesshomaru moved to stand beside her. He placed one hand at the nape of her neck and the other on the small of her back. Rin felt pressure on her lower back and allowed him to push her lower body off the ground so she was lying flat against the water’s surface.

“Good,” Sesshomaru breathed. “Take a deep breath and hold it for a few seconds while gently kicking your legs and waving your arms back and forth.”

Rin did as instructed and felt her body lift even more with the added air. She kicked a little too hard at first and splashed them both before finding a smooth rhythm between her arms and legs.

“Good, now let your breath out slowly and take another deep one. Perfect. Just keep doing that. I’m going to take my hands away and let you do it on your own now.”

Before Rin could voice her protest Sesshomaru’s hands disappeared from her body, but she didn’t sink. She sucked in a big breath and slowly let it out, too afraid she’d go under if she asked him to come back.

“You’re floating, Rin,” Sesshomaru said with a small smile.

“How do – I get – up,” Rin said between breaths.

Sesshomaru put his hands back in their respective places and helped tilt her body forward. “Now put your legs down,” he laughed when Rin didn’t instinctively right herself.

“That was amazing!” Rin said once she was standing. “You’re such a good teacher.”

“Of course I am. Now we’re going to do something similar, but I need you on your stomach. You’re going to learn how to doggie paddle.”

“On my stomach?”

“Yes.”

“My face will go right into the water. I’ll drown.”

“Not if you hold it up.”

Rin frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. “Do I look stupid?”

“If you let your face fall into the water, then yes. I didn’t let you go under before. I won’t this time either.”

“Fine,” Rin grumbled.

Sesshomaru grunted and stood beside her again, this time placing a hand on her abdomen and the other just above her breasts. Rin blushed furiously and gave him a stern look. The dog demon merely smirked before tilting her off the ground. The startled girl screeched and flailed her legs and arms.

“Rin, stop thrashing! Rin!” Sesshomaru yelled before lifting the girl out of the water.

Rin immediately stilled and stared shocked at the rippling water beneath her. She then turned eyes to the irritated demon clutching her body close to his chest.

“Are you finished?” he asked with a scowl.

Rin nodded and was slowly lowered back into the water.

“Good, now that you got that out of your system I want you to gently kick your legs and paddle with your arms,” Sesshomaru said.

Rin did as instructed and gasped when she started moving through the water. Sesshomaru moved with her and was secretly pleased at the silly girl in his arms.

“I think you’ve got it now,” he said before taking his arms away.

Rin let out a startled squeal but kept kicking. “I’m doing it… Sesshomaru, I’m swimming!” she yelled.

“Good job,” Sesshomaru replied.

Rin paddled happily through the water in a straight line, unsure of how to turn herself around. She was unaware of Sesshomaru’s sudden panic when she continued on into the deep end. She heard him call for her to stop and went rigid and quickly slipped beneath the surface. Memories of her last experience in his pool hit her at full force and she opened her mouth to scream. Two hands wrapped around her torso and hoisted her up against a warm, hard body. Rin sputtered and coughed as she was dragged back to the shallow end. Once she realized she was safe she pressed against herself closer to Sesshomaru’s chest and shivered.

Sesshomaru sighed and wrapped his arms around the frightened girl. He buried his nose in her wet hair and with one hand still wrapped around her back he hooked the other under her knees and carried her to the stairs.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you,” he whispered once he settled back against the stairs with Rin draped over his lap.

Rin let him tuck her head under his chin and sighed when he rubbed soothing circles on her back. A light breeze picked up and made her skin prickle with the sudden chill. Sesshomaru felt her shiver again and pulled her closer against him.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

“Yes. You were right there, just like you promised.”

Rin felt his chest rumble and giggled. Sesshomaru looked at her strangely before loosening his grip as she sat up.

“Thank you, Sesshomaru. For everything.”

She expected a snarky reply to her sudden comment but all he did was stare at her. Rin shifted uncomfortably beneath his heated gaze and averted her eyes.

“I didn’t kiss Kagura. Willingly, at least.”

Rin let out a startled gasp and looked at him with wide eyes. She hadn’t been expecting that. Sesshomaru sighed and leaned back, reclining against his propped up arms.

“I know that’s why you’re angry with me. I think she set it up. She really was a mess when I went to go deal with her, but the second the door opened she was fine and threw herself at me.” Sesshomaru looked back at Rin and frowned. “I don’t care for Kagura. She’s manipulative and cruel and I was a fool to ever date her in the first place. Can you forgive me for not telling you sooner?” he asked.

Rin blushed and looked away again. “I don’t see why you need to apologize. It’s not like we’re going out or anything,” she mumbled.

“Yes, well that’s the problem.”

A startled gasp escaped Rin’s lightly parted lips as she stared shocked at the dog demon beneath her. He leaned forward then and wrapped two strong arms around her back.

“Wh-What?” she stuttered.

“Rin, I want you for myself. Please don’t deny me. I know you feel the same,” he said as his eyes smoldered, burning through her body and creating an uncomfortably pleasant feeling in the pit of her belly. Sesshomaru’s nose twitched and he grinned at her. “Why won’t you listen to your body, Rin? It’s telling me everything I need to know. Please, don’t make me beg,” he whispered hoarsely.

Rin swallowed and nodded as her breath came out in short gasps. Sesshomaru growled with pleasure and pulled her body against him, breathing in her sweet scent.

“Sesshomaru, if we do this – a relationship – we have to move at my pace. I’ve never even had a boyfriend, never kissed,” Rin sighed as he nuzzled against her throat.

“Of course, Rin. I will never push you to do anything you don’t want to do,” he murmured and pulled back.

She had to suppress a groan when she saw the raw hunger in his eyes. His face was strikingly handsome bathed in the soft glow of moonlight, the twin stripes on either side accentuating his already high cheekbones. Rin ran her fingers over them and smiled when Sesshomaru closed his eyes and leaned into her delicate touch. A small sound almost like purring vibrated through him and made her shudder. She continued her ministrations and lowered her gaze to his lips, unconsciously wetting her own and leaning forward when his tilted up in a sexy smirk. She leaned forward more, gaining courage when Sesshomaru kept his eyes closed. Before she even realized what she was doing, her lips were against his in a shy, clumsy kiss.

Sesshomaru’s eyes snapped open when he felt the pressure against his mouth. He had been too caught up in her soothing touch to even realize she’d been inching closer. The warmth of her lips was gone almost as quickly as it had come and he watched as she pulled away, an embarrassed blush tinting her cheeks.

“I’m so sorry,” Rin blurted. “That was so rude!”

She pushed against his chest in an effort to climb out of his lap but he wrapped a hand around her wrist and held her in place. When Rin finally looked at him his eyes had darkened to molten amber and there was a strange look on his face. He pulled Rin to him slowly, one hand on the small of her back and the other coming to her chin. Sesshomaru was sitting up now, and Rin’s mouth was a breath away from his. The heat from his body warmed her cool skin and she placed her hands on his chest when he tucked her further against his body.

“Rin, can I- Will you let me…” he mumbled, the smell of her arousal clouding his senses but the other side of him urging to be slow and gentle. His little Rin was new to intimacy. The last thing he wanted was to scare her off.

Rin smiled sweetly and nodded against the clawed hand caressing her face. Consent given, Sesshomaru dipped his head and brushed his lips against hers in a chaste kiss. Rin’s eyelids fluttered closed and he rumbled happily while moving his hand to the back of her neck, tilting her head so he could have better access to her soft lips. His heart soared when she leaned against him and sighed into his mouth. He moved to deepen the kiss, tracing her lips lightly with his tongue and smiling when she gasped. Slanting his mouth over hers, he slipped his tongue inside to taste her sweetness and suppressed a growl when she moaned loudly into his mouth.

Rin clutched at Sesshomaru’s shoulders and pressed her breasts firmly against his chest. Sesshomaru broke their kiss and she gasped for air, groaning again when he began to suckle and nip along her chin and down her throat.

“Sesshomaru,” she breathed, shuddering when his teeth dragged down her slender throat.

The dog demon growled and licked her throbbing pulse, delighting in the noises ripping through her sweet mouth. He stood up quickly, startling her, and draped her legs on either side of his hips before sitting back down. Rin’s eyes widened at the new contact and gave a sharp cry when he pushed her hips against his. Sesshomaru covered her mouth with his and swallowed her moans and gasps while she trembled and wrapped her arms around his neck. The warmth in her belly spread through her entire body and made her dizzy with want. A small prickling of awareness in the back of her mind urged her to stop, that it was moving a little too fast, and she squirmed in his arms.

Sesshomaru sensed her hesitation and immediately broke their kiss, resting his forehead against hers while she caught her breath. “I’m sorry, Rin. I shouldn’t have done that,” he whispered against her lips.

Rin nodded and smiled before opening her eyes to look at him. His eyes were hooded and there was a fire in them she hadn’t seen before. She realized with a sudden rush of pride that she started that flame; she made the great Sesshomaru lose himself in pleasure.

“I think I’ll learn quickly with you,” she said.

Sesshomaru smirked and kissed her nose before lifting them both out of the pool. Rin squealed at the sudden movement and wrapped her legs tightly around his waist. Sesshomaru groaned against her throat and shivered.

“Rin, unless you’re willing to take things to the next level I strongly recommend you don’t do that,” he whispered huskily.

Rin blushed and let her legs fall, allowing him to place her gently on the ground.

Sorry,” she whispered.

Sesshomaru smiled and took her hand in his before grabbing her bag and leading her back into the house. “It’s late, Rin. I should get you home.”

Oh no… my dad. Rin thought as she let Sesshomaru drag her inside the house. She hoped her father had gone to bed early or passed out on the couch.

“Rin, are you alright?”

Cursing his demon nose yet again, Rin gave him a sweet smile before picking up her pace and leaning against his arm. “Fine, just a little cold.”

After changing into some dry clothes, Sesshomaru and Rin slipped into his car and drove toward her house. She tried to calm her beating heart and fight off any nervousness at confronting her father, instead focusing on the completeness she felt due to the handsome man beside her. But they rolled up to her house all too quickly and Rin was reluctant to leave the car.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sesshomaru chuckled before kissing her gently and whispering good night.

Rin sighed against him and smiled before lifting herself out of his car and waving goodbye as he drove away. All the fear and anxiousness she’d been suppressing hit her at once and she turned slowly to face the dark house looming over her. She pulled her key out and tried quietly to unlock the door, satisfied when it opened without so much as a squeak. She slipped into the darkness and carefully closed it behind her.

“Welcome back.”

Rin gasped and turned around just in time to see her father raise his hand. It came down hard across her face and she fell back against the door, the back of her head banging against the unforgiving wood.

“I told you to stay home!” he screamed before grabbing her by the throat and throwing her to the ground. “Instead you sneak out like some hussy and come crawling home in the darkness. I bet you were sleeping with that boy. You were, weren’t you, you little whore!”

Rin became very aware that her father wasn’t drunk. She could handle his sloppy, drunken tirades, but it was when he was sober that she really got hurt. His fury seemed visible in the darkness and she went completely still. It was the heaviness in the air, the heavy beating of his heart and hers – one from anger, one from fear. She screamed when his fist came down on her and she curled in on herself to escape his rage.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru smiled and drummed his clawed fingers against the steering wheel as he drove. His night with Rin had been amazing and he was already looking forward to their next swimming lesson. He glanced at the empty seat she had occupied and frowned when he saw her bag on the floor. In one fluid motion, he had the car turned around and was driving back to her place.

The house was pitch black and silent as he walked up to the front door.

Surely she isn’t already asleep. Sesshomaru thought as he raised a hand to ring the doorbell.

A loud thump filtered through the heavy wood and Sesshomaru frowned and leaned close to it. The window next to him suddenly shattered and he turned, shocked, as a body flew through it and tumbled to the ground. The smell of blood poured through the opening and his stomach heaved when he realized it was Rin’s. A small moan from the garden stole his attention and he raced to the person huddled in the dirt and glass.

“Rin?”

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Two Days Later

Sesshomaru sat quietly next to Rin. The nurses had been kind enough to switch out the metal chair with a more comfortable one when they realized the persistent demon had no intention of leaving. He heaved a sigh and gently squeezed Rin’s hand. A noise at the door caused him to look up, and he was shocked when he saw who it was step out of the shadow of the hallway.

“Father?” Sesshomaru whispered in an unsure tone.

Inutaisho walked over to Rin’s bed and looked down at the beat-up girl. The bruises had just started healing, taking on a greenish tint on the edges and darkening to black at the center. The great demon lord shifted his gaze to his son and frowned when he studied Sesshomaru’s face. Dark, puffy circles had taken up host beneath hooded lids. Sesshomaru’s golden eyes had dulled in color and his face was pale and worn with exhaustion.

“How is she?” Inutaisho asked.

Sesshomaru looked back at Rin and grimaced. “It took them two hours to pull all of the glass from her back, and then they had to sew her up. Severe internal bleeding which they took care of with emergency surgery when she first got here. Bad bruising all over her body, cracked ribs; that’s about it,” Sesshomaru rattled off.

Inutaisho could see the turmoil behind his son’s eyes. He knew that look. “It hurts to see the one you love suffer so horribly, doesn’t it?”

Sesshomaru’s head snapped up and he stared in shock at his father.

“Don’t think I can’t see it, Sesshomaru. You know she’s the one. Us dog demons can always tell when we’ve found our mate.” Inutaisho moved to stand by his son. He knelt by the chair Sesshomaru occupied and stared deeply into his child’s tired eyes. “Sesshomaru, it’s okay to mourn. It’s okay to be angry. You shouldn’t hold it in, it will destroy you. What Rin’s father did is disgraceful and vile. Protect your mate, be strong for her, but don’t let that strength keep you from showing her how much you care.” Inutaisho searched his eldest son’s eyes once more.

Sesshomaru’s heart lurched and his hands trembled. He allowed his father to gather him in his strong arms and buried his face in his shoulder. Inutaisho tightened his grip around Sesshomaru’s frame and dropped his nose on the top of his head.

“It’s going to be all right, Son. Rin is going to live,” Inutaisho whispered against Sesshomaru’s hair.

Sesshomaru let out a shaky sigh and relaxed against his father. He hadn’t been held since he was a pup, and his father’s reassuring words were what he needed. Inutaisho sat with Sesshomaru for another hour before finally getting him to come home and get some much needed sleep. Sesshomaru left reluctantly, only agreeing after promising Rin he’d be back early the next morning and kissing her gently on the forehead.

It was quiet in the hospital. All the lights had been turned off and the nurses were only occasionally walking in to check on Rin. The window was left open, allowing a cool and refreshing breeze to air out Rin’s stuffy room. The long white drapes fluttered noiselessly in the wind and Rin slept soundly. A sudden crash jolted her awake and Rin jumped before scrambling to sit up in her bed.

“Ku, ku, ku. Lay back down, my little darling. We wouldn’t want you reopening your wounds, now would we?”

Rin froze as terror seized her body. Her eyes darted around the pitch black room, searching for a figure to go along with the voice. She was about to scream when a cold, slimy object closed down over her mouth.

“Now Rin, how much fun would it be if you screamed? I wouldn’t get to play my little games, and that would make me very angry. You don’t want me to get angry, do you?” The mysterious man asked.

Rin knew he was right beside her. The heat of his breath fanned out across her cheek and sent an involuntary shiver down her spine. She screamed against the object covering her mouth when she felt something slithering up her leg. They were like thick, slimy vines. She struggled against them and tried again to scream, but a cold hand against her neck made her vision blur and the last thing she saw was a pair of gleaming red eyes in the darkness.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru arrived early at the hospital the next morning, just as he had promised. A bouquet of colorful flowers was clutched in his right hand and a small smile graced his lips. Sesshomaru hesitated when he saw police cars surrounding the building before picking up his pace; somehow knowing horrible news awaited him just inside the hospital doors.

As Sesshomaru approached the entrance, a pair of policemen tried to stop him. The anxious dog demon pushed them out of the way and ducked under the yellow tape set up around the doors. Several nurses looked up at him, but seeing his determination they held back, opting to watch after him sadly. As Sesshomaru neared Rin’s room he broke into a run and came to a screeching halt when he finally reached it. Another policeman tried to stop him from entering but Sesshomaru shoved him out of his way.

His heart stopped as soon as he entered the room. Everything was in disarray. Flower pots were shattered and littered the tiled floor of her room. Rin’s bed was pulled near the window and tubes were strewn out over the ledge as if she had been carelessly torn away from the monitoring equipment.

Sesshomaru dropped the flowers that were gripped tightly in his hand and fell to his knees. Crimson bled into his eyes and his fangs grew to deadly points. The smooth purple stripes adorning his cheeks became jagged. He arched back and roared, the policemen and nurses backing away in terror. A familiar scent caught his nose and Sesshomaru sniffed again. He snarled angrily and jumped up. Stalking over to the window, Sesshomaru inhaled several more times to make sure he was correct in his assumption.

Naraku… With that thought in mind and a scent trail, Sesshomaru leapt gracefully out of the window.