InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Wing & a Prayer ❯ Deep Thoughts ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On a Wing & a Prayer

Part IX: Deep Thoughts

A few hours later, Sesshomaru awoke. His vision had returned, and the pain from his wounds had faded considerably. He blinked a little, looked around, and saw Gina leaned against a tree. What happened? Did she slay that demon? He got up, and his stirring caught Gina's attention.

"Oh, good," she said as she stood, walking over to him, "You're awake. I guess you're wounds weren't that serious." He simply scowled, walking past her. But he stopped, looking quite thoughtful. "Why were you so concerned about me?" he asked quizzically. Gina's eyes simply widened as he asked this.

"Well…I ah…just didn't…um…want to get eaten by that demon, that's all!" she yelled. Sesshomaru turned and glared at her. "Oh really. Then what happened to that demon?" he demanded. "Umm…" Gina stammered. She really didn't know what had happened to that vile creature. "Well, it…ran away," she said. He raised an eyebrow. "Oh, is that so. I thought originally that it wanted to have us for his next meal!" he hissed, scowling.

Gina laughed a little, trying to come up with something. I've never been good at lying… "Okay, so I used a spell my grandmother taught me to protect myself. I never thought it would be powerful enough to actually destroy a demon like that," she replied. Sesshomaru smirked cynically. He could smell the stress on her, and he knew that she was lying. With all of these lies, he knew that she didn't even know what had happened.

His smirk grew a little, and he started walking again. Yes, yes. You used a spell. I'll let you think that…until you reveal your true power. As he walked, he felt a twinge of pain in his back. His wounds were minor, but a few pieces of the demon's claws broke off into them, and they continued to dig into his flesh. "Um…Sesshomaru?"

Sesshomaru looked down. "Now what do you want?" he demanded. Gina simply smiled. "I just wanted to ask if you were alright," she said gently. He scowled. "Just shut up and follow me. The faster we go, the sooner we'll get to your little castle, and the faster I can get rid of you," he growled. He continued on silently, and Gina leered at him. Jeeze, you get concerned about a guy and he bites your head off!

Gina sighed as she followed Sesshomaru. I wonder he really plans to take me back home, she thought. I just hope he doesn't get too fed up with me and kill me! She furrowed her brow a bit. She wasn't sure if she should have even trusted him this long. But, she knew she had a tendency to get quite annoying, and if he hadn't killed her yet

She had been following him for about an hour. For the entire time, he had been silent, and as far as she could tell, his expression had remained the same as well. Gina looked over at him, and her eyes fell on the gashes on his back. She felt very guilty. If she hadn't gotten that demon's attention, he wouldn't have been hurt saving her.

But why did he save me? she thought. A thoughtful look crossed her face. He was taking her home because he wanted her out of his hair. But if that was what he wanted, why did he rescue her? It would have been much easier to simply let the demon kill her. This was all much too confusing for her. He said he wanted one thing, and yet he protected her like little Rin said he did with her. Gina was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice the light rain that began.

She sighed a little, shutting her hazel eyes. She didn't really mind it; she had always liked the rain. She smiled a bit to herself, continuing on. But when she felt something fluffy hit her shoulders, she opened her eyes and looked up. The first thing she saw was the quite fuzzy boa that belonged to Sesshomaru draped over her shoulders. She blinked once or twice to make sure she wasn't seeing things, and then she glanced over at Sesshomaru.

Gina eyed him strangely, but flashed him a slight, thankful smile. Instead of scowling at her in turn, he gave her a small, twisted sort of smirk, but gave no other reply. It was so faint that it was hard to tell if it was malicious or kind, but it was something. The demon lord turned, looking back down at the ground, and swallowed hard.

Why am I doing this? he thought angrily, Why in all the hells did I save her?! He scowled, but it was only for a moment. This was so not like him. She may have displayed an extraordinary power earlier, but she was still a human. A princess, but still filth in his eyes. But…he was being kind to her…risking himself to protect her! He mentally slapped himself. Perhaps it was simply because it was springtime again and she was female. Quite attractive at that…Another slap. She was human, for the gods' sake! He, the mighty Lord Sesshomaru, a name that made even the strongest demons quiver in fear, was having lustful thoughts over some useless human woman!

As Gina snuggled her face against the warm boa, she noticed the change in Sesshomaru's pace. "I wonder what his problem is…" she muttered lowly. He looked back at her, glaring. "What? What'd I do now?" she asked sarcastically. He turned back, breathing through his nose. "Nothing, just a headache. Just…just shut up already," he hissed menacingly.

She simply scowled. Why that little… she thought angrily. But Gina quickly dismissed it. She definitely owed him one. Big time, she thought again. She just had no idea how to thank him. They barely knew each other, and he had gotten hurt saving her very life. There was not one man who had asked for her hand that would have ever done something like that. When her thoughts of how to repay the demon lord slipped into the world of eroticism, she quickly woke herself.

How could I even imagine doing something that vile!! I am to be married in only a month or so! she scolded, And how could I ever think of stooping so low…and with a demon no less! Gina scowled at herself. It remained there for a moment, but it faded as she tugged the furry boa around her. She closed her eyes, and as she walked on, she ran right into Sesshomaru.

Instead of scolding her, or saying anything, really, he growled. His eyes weren't looking in any particular direction, but it still worried Gina a little. "What is it?" she asked, sounding a little bit panicked. He sniffed the air, and then hissed only one word: "Inu-Yasha…"